• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Adventure 2 HD |OT| googoo g'joob googoo g'joob

Ein Bear

I'm buying the majority of the DD Sega games on PSN tomorrow. Are there any I should avoid? I heard bad things about the HD port of Sonic Adventure 1 but I love that game. Are the bad reviews due to it being a bad port or just people not liking the game?

Mostly just people not liking the game. 4:3 is a shame, but it's still the sharpest looking, smoothest running version of the game out there.

MarkusRJR

I think a lot of people would say that SA1 is the superior game, but in general, the port got shat on because, yes, it was a bad port. 4:3, ugly bordering, nothing new, etc.
Eww. Well, I'll probably still buy it as long as it runs okay. My GC version stopped working a few months ago.

BlackJace

Eww. Well, I'll probably still buy it as long as it runs okay. My GC version stopped working a few months ago.

Like Ein Bear said, the port runs like butter, and is pretty good to look at. Just a lazy effort by Sega, especially after considering the port of CD, which was fucking excellent.

It's in the OP: XBLA release is 5th of October.
I was only asking because segabits put this on instagram.
Egk4X.png

They get special treatment or something?

MechaX

So it's gone from Pumpkin Hill, to shitty Tails level, to Aquatic Mine, to shitty Tails racing level, to another Tails level.

staring.gif

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm glad Sonic's mouth doesn't move weirdly here anymore.

Review codes. I have one too.

I wish I had a review code. I asked a community manager for one last week and she was like "Uh, the game's not out yet" and I was like "yeah but when it comes out, is it possible I could get one" and I never got a response.

We used to be cool enough to get that kind of stuff but they don't like us anymore
XKaC4.gif

Tizoc

I think I'll play the game with Japanese voices...just so I don't listen to the chessy VA =V

How do the graphics look overall on the PS3? They seem...fine to me.

So it's gone from Pumpkin Hill, to shitty Tails level, to Aquatic Mine, to shitty Tails racing level, to another Tails level.

staring.gif

I used to think the same but when you treat the game as a game where sonic is a cameo instead of the main character it feels better, my biggest problem used to be the size of the mech levels but when you find a few shortcuts they are a lot more manageable.

I used to think the same but when you treat the game as a game where sonic is a cameo instead of the main character it feels better, my biggest problem used to be the size of the mech levels but when you find a few shortcuts they are a lot more manageable.

So what you're saying is that this is really a follow up to the Game Gear game and is actually Tails Adventure 2.

Well anyway in the interest of saving money because there are other games coming out this week that need attending to I wont be getting this, however I will replay it through the good old GC version starting at some point later today, i'm looking oddly forward to it. I will most certainly crack open a new Chao egg, why I already have a name in mind.

Kokonoe

Banned
I realized this a few weeks ago, but I forgot to post it. A lot of things that people complain about I initially did at the entry to this series, and changed my mind after.

Knuckles The Treasure Hunter

When I first played Adventure 1 for the first time, I was a little disappointed that Knuckles was now a 'treasure hunter', and that his gameplay revolved around looking for pieces. After playing through the levels, I changed my mind on that aspect and started to appreciate that Knuckles had his own style of gameplay now that was really fun.

You have Adventure 2 making this aspect not so painfully easy as it was before, which I find better. Still easy, though.

Shadow The Hedgehog

Before the game came out, I was disappointed that they had a new Hedgehog main character to contrast with Sonic. I felt at the time the character would more or less take his spot, but not so much that, that his addition wasn't necessary. This changed when I saw how the character blended in so well with Sonic's personality. They are both "cool" characters, but they both approach their styles the opposite way. It also gave Sonic a more interesting rival in my opinion. (that and I like the ending)

Tails no longer going on foot

I was turned off by this as well, but once again, the same as Knuckles, I found appreciation for Tails not being another clone of Sonic in terms of gameplay. It's also that I think the gameplay is pretty good too. Tails as character to me is not very interesting while on foot, all he really has is his flying gimmick which to me is rather dull. I like how they focused more on his actual strong point, giving him a better role in the series.

PK Gaming

yeah i can't wait to get my hands on this remake, I was a huge fan of the origin-

Hey, don't look at me, I'm not the one who shat away all of Sega's money. Battle Mode DLC will run you $3, or 240 MS Points, and will get you the multiplayer options from the GCN version of SA2, plus Chao Karate. (I think, the wording on Sega's blog about this is odd, but it sounds like there's no multiplayer with the base game.)

oh fuck this, i'm out. sawing off a piece of the game that's already there just to make a few bucks? why not get off your lazy asses and "finish" the multiplayer stages? Or better yet, at new ones.

Kokonoe

Banned
yeah i can't wait to get my hands on this remake, I was a huge fan of the origin-

oh fuck this, i'm out. sawing off a piece of the game that's already there just to make a few bucks? why not get off your lazy asses and "finish" the multiplayer stages? Or better yet, at new ones.

What was incomplete? Either way, 13$ for an HD rerelease isn't that bad.

OMG Aero

I wish I had a review code. I asked a community manager for one last week and she was like "Uh, the game's not out yet" and I was like "yeah but when it comes out, is it possible I could get one" and I never got a response.

We used to be cool enough to get that kind of stuff but they don't like us anymore
XKaC4.gif
They must have read your terrible opinions of Sonic Colours and decided you aren't a good judge of Sonic games any more.

Revven

I just wonder if the MP is just completely gutted OUT or if it's just severely limiting if you don't buy the Battle DLC.

I realized this a few weeks ago, but I forgot to post it. A lot of things that people complain about I initially did at the entry to this series, and changed my mind after.

Knuckles The Treasure Hunter

When I first played Adventure 1 for the first time, I was a little disappointed that Knuckles was now a 'treasure hunter', and that his gameplay revolved around looking for pieces. After playing through the levels, I changed my mind on that aspect and started to appreciate that Knuckles had his own style of gameplay now that was really fun.

You have Adventure 2 making this aspect not so painfully easy as it was before, which I find better. Still easy, though.

Shadow The Hedgehog

Before the game came out, I was disappointed that they had a new Hedgehog main character to contrast with Sonic. I felt at the time the character would more or less take his spot, but not so much that, that his addition wasn't necessary. This changed when I saw how the character blended in so well with Sonic's personality. They are both "cool" characters, but they both approach their styles the opposite way. It also gave Sonic a more interesting rival in my opinion. (that and I like the ending)

Tails no longer going on foot

I was turned off by this as well, but once again, the same as Knuckles, I found appreciation for Tails not being another clone of Sonic in terms of gameplay. It's also that I think the gameplay is pretty good too. Tails as character to me is not very interesting while on foot, all he really has is his flying gimmick which to me is rather dull. I like how they focused more on his actual strong point, giving him a better role in the series.
Well if I were to throw my hat into this game...

Knuckles: it actually makes a fair bit of sense that someone with climbing and gliding powers would be put in more exploration focused stages. The ones here in SA2 I feel are a lot better than in SA, for starters they're actually designed around Knuckles playstyle instead of just being parts of Sonic's stages. The riddle filled hint system is one that I actually quite enjoy as well. I've grown to like these more than I did originally.

Shadow: He totally took Sonic's spot....for one game and it apparently sucks, hostile takeover failed. As for Shadow himself, I don't know, while he's not particularly bad in this game he always felt a bit one note and not particularly interesting. That and his template of cliche cool being the brooding version of it doesn't do much for me at all. Though i'd be lying if I didn't admit to going with Dark Story first back in the day because he looked "cooler", what a bad decision that was.

Tails: The only reason I feel Tails is leaping around in a mech isn't so much to play up his engineering side but is more because each character has a counterpart with the same playstyle, Eggman was going to draw from the Gamma style shooting stages and Tails just so happened to work out as another mech character. Plus the mech stages here are actually weaker than Gamma's stuff from the first SA, the time limit system provided faster paced gameplay and played up the multi target lock on. Here stages feel like slow plodding outings where the targeting system is simply a way to get more points for grading and to hear various Eggman quips.
Tails on foot in SA actually provided a nice twist on Sonic's stage with the race format and new routes to be taken with flight, here playing as Tails is just like playing as Eggman except not as awesome because it's Tails and not Eggman.

PK Gaming

What was incomplete? Either way, 13$ for an HD rerelease isn't that bad.

The multiplayer stages. some of them (like final hazard or w/e, shadows last level) were incomplete. how do I know this? it's possible to glitch to stage to access "restricted" parts of the stage, that were clearly mean't to be playable at one point, but they probably cut them off due to time constraints.

I don't have a problem with paying a little more cash, but the idea of sawing off existing parts of the game and selling them back to the consumer doesn't sit right with me. Especially when you consider the fact that isn't even a new game, it's an HD remake.

it's dirty.

Cuddler

Soooo...it's the DLC only for multiplayer? It's really that important? In Europe it cost 4,49€ which is almost 6$...

Kokonoe

Banned
WAKE UP, SHEEPLE
Don't worry, I am.
The multiplayer stages. some of them (like final hazard or w/e, shadows last level) were incomplete. how do I know this? it's possible to glitch to stage to access "restricted" parts of the stage, that were clearly mean't to be playable at one point, but they probably cut them off due to time constraints.

I don't have a problem with paying a little more cash, but the idea of sawing off existing parts of the game and selling them back to the consumer doesn't sit right with me. Especially when you consider the fact that isn't even a new game, it's an HD remake.

it's dirty.
I think for me the idea doesn't really matter when the price of the game that is modified to be in HD with new images for menus and etc is still 5-7$ cheaper than buying a used version on a previous console. Well that, and 13$ is a great deal for an hd rerelease. I could understand if it was more expensive.
Soooo...it's the DLC only for multiplayer? It's really that important? In Europe it cost 4,49€ which is almost 6$...

And Chao Karate, so not really unless you are really into Chaos or are really into the multiplayer.

It's something I am not going to bother with, for a start it's not online multi so I really don't have anyone to play it with outside of my little bro, and well chao karate was ok but since I own the DC version I have never really played with the gamecube chao garden much.

Pointless sticking it as DLC but sega have done it to make money, no other reason.

Kokonoe

Banned
Well if I were to throw my hat into this game...

Knuckles: it actually makes a fair bit of sense that someone with climbing and gliding powers would be put in more exploration focused stages. The ones here in SA2 I feel are a lot better than in SA, for starters they're actually designed around Knuckles playstyle instead of just being parts of Sonic's stages. The riddle filled hint system is one that I actually quite enjoy as well. I've grown to like these more than I did originally.

Shadow: He totally took Sonic's spot....for one game and it apparently sucks, hostile takeover failed. As for Shadow himself, I don't know, while he's not particularly bad in this game he always felt a bit one note and not particularly interesting. That and his template of cliche cool being the brooding version of it doesn't do much for me at all. Though i'd be lying if I didn't admit to going with Dark Story first back in the day because he looked "cooler", what a bad decision that was.

Tails: The only reason I feel Tails is leaping around in a mech isn't so much to play up his engineering side but is more because each character has a counterpart with the same playstyle, Eggman was going to draw from the Gamma style shooting stages and Tails just so happened to work out as another mech character. Plus the mech stages here are actually weaker than Gamma's stuff from the first SA, the time limit system provided faster paced gameplay and played up the multi target lock on. Here stages feel like slow plodding outings where the targeting system is simply a way to get more points for grading and to hear various Eggman quips.
Tails on foot in SA actually provided a nice twist on Sonic's stage with the race format and new routes to be taken with flight, here playing as Tails is just like playing as Eggman except not as awesome because it's Tails and not Eggman.

Shadow didn't take Sonic's spot,
Shadow is still defeated by Sonic and is treated more like Vegeta is. It's not like 2006 where Sonic is just pathetic and insignificant until the end.

For Tails, that is one reason he is like this, but it's also because he is the only one with talent that rivals Eggman in that field.

Cuddler

And Chao Karate, so not really unless you are really into Chaos or are really into the multiplayer.

It's something I am not going to bother with, for a start it's not online multi so I really don't have anyone to play it with outside of my little bro, and well chao karate was ok but since I own the DC version I have never really played with the gamecube chao garden much.

Pointless sticking it as DLC but sega have done it to make money, no other reason.

Thanks for the answer! Happy to know that it's nothing too important.

Emitan

throw them at a wall

Actually, hold the action button and move the analog stick to shake the egg, IIRC. Throwing it at a wall works, though, if you want a perpetually depressed Chao.

My Chao is happy but apparently stupid because it keeps trying to drown itself.

Kokonoe

Banned
Yellow crystals give your Chao the swim stat, you may also use marine based animals to raise it up as well. The downside to using animals is that they give other stats too, and give your Chao animal body parts but that can be changed later. However, they do raise the stats more.

Crystals can be obtained from robots, and I use to farm them at Radical Highway.

Yellow crystals give your Chao the swim stat, you may also use marine based animals to raise it up as well. The downside to using animals is that they give other stats too, and give your Chao animal body parts but that can be changed later. However, they do raise the stats more.

Crystals can be obtained from robots, and I use to farm them at Radical Highway.
I never did figure out what animal/Chaos Drive did what.

Didn't help that I had the Dreamcast version, which only let you check your stats on the VMU, which ate batteries like popcorn, and had screws on the battery door that stripped easily, rendering them impossible to replace. What stats my Chao had were an utter mystery. Battle fixed this, but I never owned Battle.

Come one come all and join me for a gripping journey through the Hero story, if you want to save money then I assure you my words are more than enough to deliver the full experience.
Obviously spoilers for a decade old game pretty much everyone here has actually played but I guess I have to throw that one out there.

So we kick off hero story with Sonic breaking out of his ride to the gallows after discovering the lack of cheap prison food and inflight movies being provided to him, I guess sonic figures himself a celebrity so he assumes to get one of those luxury prison experiences, actually I’m left wondering how they caught him in the first place and when.
ANYWAY Sonic says he’d rather run so the first thing he actually does is go boarding, well variety is the spice of life I guess and this game is all about the variety for better or for worse so it’s off to the first stage.

City Escape

Considered by many to be the best stage in this game if I’m not mistaken which doesn’t exactly say much for the entire game that’s going to follow. It is however a really solid opener complete with enough set pieces and enjoyable straightforward design to hook you in the hope for more like it, well there might be a bit more like it coming up but to say it’s all a bit downhill from here isn’t that much of an exaggeration. Also known for it’s cheesy lyrical music which could have gone very wrong, fortunately it’s kind of catchy.

The following Boss battle can be finished much quicker if you use the crates for extra height allowing you to hit the mech as it flies across, of course if all the crates get gunned to pieces then you just have to play the waiting game and to taunt you further there’s like 15 crates behind the invisible wall that is the battle area.
Then we get our first proper exchange of dialogue, a legendary exchange that sums up the so bad it’s good feel of this games cutscenes, Sonic and Shadow race to cut off each other’s dialogue, seemingly going fast also relates to their speech as well as sprinting. Shadow spends a good 10 seconds readying his sparkly chaos control which fortunately doesn’t take that long to initiate warping at later points in the game or else it would actually be pretty useless. Sonic catches on surprisingly quick to Shadow’s warping trickery, unfortunately he doesn’t catch on to the entire army that are sneaking up behind him.

Meanwhile in some desert area Knuckles is having a shouting match with Rouge the Bat in defence of his Master Emerald, you know I’m surprised considering his hot headedness and role as the emeralds guardian that he didn’t just punch her the hell out as soon as she made intentions of theft, that Knuckles is really mellowing out these days, must be the chill hip hop music, or maybe it’s the bat tits. Eggman the master of subtlety flies right in and attempts to hoist the emerald away in front of their very noses, not the smartest of plans but it’s getting better results than whatever Rouge was planning. Knuckles is rather nonchalant about the whole deal, speaking of not very smart plans Knuckles decides that punching the emerald to pieces is the best angle instead of say just walloping Eggman’s hover pod, I guess he couldn’t quite muster that extra height.
Eggman cruises off not really giving a damn about his thwarted scheme while Rouge breaks down over the loss of her precious gemerald and thus we enter the first Knuckles Stage of object hunting, riddle solving, gliding and punching things, sounds like a job for Batman actually, well Knuckles did call Rouge Bat Girl…

Wild Canyon
Oh yeah, this place is WILD and more importantly you can get dragons for your Chao here thus making it my most entered stage in this game back in the day. And I pick up the loot in just under 1:30 snagging me a cool A rank and leaving me with very little to say here, the music in Knuckles stages aren’t that bad if you factor out the nonsense lyrics, I demand instrumental versions!

Time for Tails to join the fray as he jibbers away to himself about the fantastically name prison island (because it’s like a prison on an island!) and satellite television, the idea of Sonic robbing a bank amuses me a bit. Despite everyone else in the world being duped by the black hedgehog with a case of mistaken identity Tails is too bro with Sonic to believe he’d succumb to such dirty schemes, or maybe he’s the only guy here who isn’t colour blind.
So the first usage of the mech in hero story actually comes via a boss battle that doesn’t explain anything about how the mech works, fortunately Eggman just waltzes around like he’s lobotomised himself and puts up no resistance so you can easily figure out that the mech shoots things without fear of retaliation. So Tails saves Amy who somehow managed to get to Prison Island by herself, possibly by swimming and they head off to bust Sonic out of his confines before the dreaded shower time….you know because Sonic hates water.

Prison Lane
A bland mech stage that pretty much sets the mood for almost all mech stages to follow, repeating rooms and locked doors that open when you’ve destroyed all the surrounding enemies are pretty much all there is to say about this one, there’s a hidden room at the end of the stage but you need the upgrade to break iron containers to get to it, I can’t actually remember what’s back there. Music is sort of generic but it’s nice enough, not a track anyone ever mentions when talking about this game.

Amy sneaks into the core of the prison possibly using her evasion skills honed by evading Zero in the previous game and also her creepy stalker skills honed by doing what she’s effectively done to end up here right now, as in stalking Sonic. Amy attempts to blackmail Sonic with holy hedgehog matrimony for his freedom but Sonic would actually rather remain in prison instead of marry Amy which is an even greater form of life imprisonment, Amy begrudgingly frees Sonic and he jets off after Amy ponders who drew all those naughty penises on the prison walls, okay so it didn’t quite go down like that, still what a cliffhanger!

I can say this is certainly going a lot better than my heroes replay last year.

drspeedy

Come one come all and join me for a gripping journey through the Hero story, if you want to save money then I assure you my words are more than enough to deliver the full experience.
Obviously spoilers for a decade old game pretty much everyone here has actually played but I guess I have to throw that one out there.

Does the audio still overlap during the cutscenes? If memory serves me you'd get characters talking over each other all the time, and out of sync with the subtitles, too.

HardRojo

It's baffling that in 2012 Sony instead of providing more ways to obtain PSN codes online doesn't bother to keep the ones already there, Amazon stopped offering codes several months ago and now BestBuy is apparently following suit... I really want to purchase Sonic Adventure 2 but there's no way I'll spend $5 more on a $20 card again considering there were companies that offered the same service for a fair price and with a quick response.

Top Bottom