• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Adventure 2 HD |OT| googoo g'joob googoo g'joob

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So... because I'm a complete and utter fool, I said to myself, "Hey, maybe I should play Generations version of City Escape before I play the SA2 HD version of City Escape to compare the two!" I should not have done such a thing at all.

SA2 just feels flat-out weird in comparison. I'm of the opinion that neither of the Adventure games aged well since I played them a few years ago, but man, it's incredibly obvious that that is the case now. So many things were improved upon in the later Sonic games, and especially in the three latest games in terms of control, level design, what they want to do with 3D perspective Sonic with regards to platforming, grinding on rails, the homing attack, etc. Some the mechanics in SA2 feel inelegant, clunky, yet workable.

It's kinda hard to come back to the SA games at this point for me, but I've felt that way for a while...

Revven

It's definitely different design choices and mechanics between the two (and of course polishing) that makes quite the distinction when switching between the games. They go by different rules, especially when it comes to grinding. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of mindless effort it takes to switch rails in Generations and how grinding had just devolved to simple pathing and used more for those "cinematic" camera angles. Sure, SA2 had some of these (Final Rush) but a lot of the grinding is more purposeful in part of the challenge of the level. Lots of people might say the mechanics for grinding are awful in SA2 (and in some instances, I'll agree) but making rail switching so effortless has just made the rails/grinding in general duller and doesn't add anything to the levels. (See: Green Hill Zone rails in Generations).

Emitan

Are you getting all 300+ rings, blowin' up enemies (don't forget the Gold searcher guy on that one half pipe where the chao key is), and getting sub 2:30?

I usually have 250 rings and get 2:50 for my time. Always hit the gold enemy.

Revven

I usually have 250 rings and get 2:50 for my time. Always hit the gold enemy.

Yeah, you need to at least get sub 2:30 if I recall. Use the spin dash cancel more on the hills downward and such and especially on the truck escape sequence (if you don't know how to do this, when you're in the middle of the spin dash, press the same button again to come out of it).

I think for score you need at least 18,000 (hence why you need a good ring count). But my memory might be faulty on that one.

Kokonoe

Banned
Now while I enjoy Generations City Escape, I did feel as if it wasn't on par with the original. The first part is nice replica, but they swapped up so much of what I liked after the first segment and it just seems not quite as fun as it is in Adventure. I notice in Generations right before the part where you run down, you kinda are boosting into walls and stuff because the part has stairs and objects in the way, and the lack of control while moving in these areas while slow just makes you want to hit the jump button and boost in mid air, auto piloting you to the area. This is because Sonic Generations isn't quite that good at going in every direction because it's designed mainly to go forward.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Re: Grinding: Were the crouch mechanics taken out in favour of Boost's addition? That's the only reason why I'd think they'd remove them and make the grinding more streamlined.

I don't like playing as Tails. At all.

Also, I think 18000 is the score you need to get for City Escape? I can't remember.

Good loooooooooord... the camera in this game sometimes.

Emitan

I don't remember the mechs feeling so unresponsive. Changing directions causes them to come to a stop and just trying to run to the side causes them to halt oddly and made me take hits in the fight against Tails in the ARK.

Yeah, you need 18000 to A rank City Escape. Best advice I can think of is to attempt to get the 1000 point bonuses on the three ramps in the boarding section and to get as many point bonuses as possible (Chaning enemies with the homing attack,jumping from rail to rail without touching the ground, etc.)

I can usually hit around 21000 doing that.

Why? It's not like the DC version didn't already have 180.

They switched around some of the emblem requirements between the GC and DC versions to account for some of the new stuff, mainly Chao Karate, which is DLC now.

The "Collect all 180 emblems" trophy on PSN also has that "+" icon that indicates that particular trophy is for DLC.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I notice in Generations right before the part where you run down, you kinda are boosting into walls and stuff because the part has stairs and objects in the way, and the lack of control while moving in these areas while slow just makes you want to hit the jump button and boost in mid air, auto piloting you to the area.
If there's any issue I have with the Generations version of that level, it's that. One route makes you want to go for the ring, and other route makes you go straight down, but the camera does some super-weird stuff and it clearly wants to direct you to go down there when you want to do something completely different.

Edit: And nausea. Yep. Taking a break.

Revven

I don't remember the mechs feeling so unresponsive. Changing directions causes them to come to a stop and just trying to run to the side causes them to halt oddly and made me take hits in the fight against Tails in the ARK.

Yeah... the mechs were really like that, it's frustrating.

Good to know my memory didn't fail me regarding City Escape's required A rank score, ha. I don't think I ever looked that up either when I played it on the GCN, I just so happened to replay the level so many times that I eventually got that score and A ranked it, lol.

Same with Metal Harbor, though that level is one of the harder ones to A rank, simply because of having to land that alternate route on the rocket at the end to get the highest score points at the end (I forget the name of the point thing you get for doing the alt. route).

lOvtc.jpg

Sonic Adventure 3, here we come!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
He looks so happyyyyyyy. :)

DREAMS FULFILLED.

Also, man, wasn't Metal Harbour like 20000 points or something? The best thing to do is just what Revven said -- get the Extreme Trick down and get some Technique points to add to your score. I quit halfway through, but I don't think I'd be able to pull it off now. >.>

Hatten

Both Adventure games had terrific texture work which is why it holds up that well after 10+ years instead of having the same blurry-ass textures of MGS2 and SH HD versions

Had Sega bumped the poly counts it would look like a current generation game

I don't care what people say. I've waited a decade to play this game at long last and I'm going to damn well enjoy it.

Buy a used Dreamcast.

That could have saved you 10 years

SkylineRKR

I hated Generations, and to my complete surprise I don't hate on SA2 yet. But then again I never really hated it back on DC, although anything non-Sonic and Shadow was below par.

The reason I hated Generations was because I rolled with Ps3. Janky framerate, ridiculous input lag... It never played well. SA2 is fast, glorious 60fps without jaggies and still sems to hold up graphically.

There are certain issues in SA2, the lack of a lock on marker, the camera rotation... and why does every fucking level have pitfalls? Tails' shit would be better off without it.

I still never understand why people say the PS3 has input lag. I've played both the PS3 and 360 versions and never encountered anything close to lag.

Yeah some of those HDTV's can have some serious lag for gaming. I'm using one of those evo monitors with my ps3 and I get no lag.

Pumpkin Hill song is strangely catchy...

Shizzlee

A Rank in everything finally. Now all I have to do is raise some Chao. I'm gonna stuff their asses with Chao Fruits and Chaos Drives.

Spinluck

Man, the Super Rogue Galaxy stage has not aged well. Lol.

I still think some Sonic and Shadow, and even a handfull of some of the other characters stages hold up ok, or well enough.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
if aynone cant wait sonic is up on the xbox website to buy, but the dlc isnt yet

Ugh, for some reason it's not letting me add Microsoft points to my account. I only need 160 to buy SA2, but it's outright refusing me. :\

I contacted Microsoft support and they don't know what's wrong either

Anyone having trouble with the homing attack? I really don't remember it being so frustrating on the Gamecube version, it feels like I need to be the exact same height as an object/enemy or it just won't lock on at all. Final Rush was an absolute nightmare because Sonic just wouldn't correctly lock on to those vertical S shaped rails.

Bought the game, lovely HD 60fps is much better then SA1's efforts. Looks much nicer then from video feeds.

THAT'S A.. CHAOS EMERALD!!!

Anyone having trouble with the homing attack? I really don't remember it being so frustrating on the Gamecube version, it feels like I need to be the exact same height as an object/enemy or it just won't lock on at all. Final Rush was an absolute nightmare because Sonic just wouldn't correctly lock on to those vertical S shaped rails.

I think the homing attack locking on to rails is only something recent Sonic games do.

I'm so used to playing with all abilities unlocked that playing a fresh file and aiming to get A ranks on all stages is actually rather fun all over again, I am really enjoying this port and so happy that it's actually HD this time and kept it's 60 frames.

I checked out 2 player without DLC, basically it's battle with characters and stuff locked away, so you can still play versus without any extras but it's limited. Kart racing is featured as normal.

Kokonoe

Banned
Alright, so stepping into this game I had a part of me that felt I might not enjoy like I once did due to all this negative response from those who originally disliked the game and stated what they saw as flaws. When I first started playing, (I picked Team Dark first) I noticed something was a bit off about the controls and it was bugging me a bit, so I went and turned on my Gamecube to test it out and the controls felt a lot better for some reason. I'm not sure if it's due to the Gamecube controller itself, or if they changed anything, but something about the original feels better. Although, when I say something felt "off", these controls are still great to this day.

So anyways, I played through the first two Eggman stages, and when I got to the second one I realized why I like the mech stuff in this game so much. They are like the Gamma stages yes, but they have a lot more platforming in comparison, and it's really fun to me. As for Rouge, for those who aren't use the treasure hunting, I'd suggest running into Omochao or the TV Monitors if you're getting confused, but for me I breezed right through the first two levels. I played Sonic Adventure DX last year again, and even now I still appreciate the difficulty these treasure hunter stages have in comparison. I feel more inclined to try than to just fly and have everything on a silver platter.

Now, when I first got to the main course, (dem hedgehogs) I felt this overwhelming surge of satisfaction. Really, Radical Highway is just so awesome, and the music, level themes, level design just seems like it was catered just for my tastes. It was when I just played that level that I realized how much I really do like this game. I haven't messed with the Chao yet as I don't want to do too much progress in the gardens before the PC release.

As for complaints or downsides, believe it or not, my only issues are the same issues I had when I first played the game for the very first time except for one.

Previous issues:

Unlike Sonic Adventure, you are forced to play things in the game's order and not your order. I liked how the first game let me just stick to one type of a gameplay at a time.

This game never was known for it's cutscenes, even at the time it came out because they just aren't done too well. Some are good, but most of em are awkward due to the graphics and animation used, and they hold up less than they did then.

New issue:

One that didn't bother me before that I noticed now is the camera during the treasure hunting stages. It's not terrible, but it could be zoomed out more, and it'd be nice to have more control of it. It's more of a slight annoyance, but nothing major.

Verdict:

Game controls great, music is AMAZING, gameplay is great, and overall is a great game and still to this day is in my top 10 favorites of all time.

I'm not sure, but it seems like they added some new textures to some of the things in the game like the turtle in Rouge's stage. I heard Xbox 360 is dark, but Sonic Adventure 2 HD is quite darker for some reason so it may be that. Oh, and so far no issues with the homing attack.

Christopher

So will the make a Sonic Adventure 3?

Won't it be weird with the different voice cast / style of gameplay not the same as the first two? I just don't understand how you can make a seuqel years later to a game. It would be nice if they used Adventure 2's engine and voice talent to make it connected.

I will never be able to get all the emblems in this game, getting an A in some of these levels is stupid hard.

Kokonoe

Banned
Man, Kokonoe, you're double-dipping? I can barely afford the PSN copy.

White 2 and Dishonored drained ma cash

Oh, I'll be buying more than two! Muahahaha!

I also need to pick up NiGHTS. GAF doesn't appear to like NiGHTS, so I should like it a lot.

Xav

This is so stupid. Nights is having the same problem, too.

I just want to try them both before I buy.

NiGHTS you might want to hold out for the trial because according to some it may have some control issues. Sonic Adventure 2 is exactly the same game as the Dreamcast original except it's HD and in widescreen now, I've finished the hero story and have not come across any problems so feel free to buy it.

Top Bottom