• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Adventure 2 HD |OT| googoo g'joob googoo g'joob

Iceman

so why would anyone be getting this

unless they're like14 year old or something and have nostalgia for something they played as 6

Nice. It's worth it alone for Sonic and Shadow's levels, especially the latter ones.

Wow. I was almost 25 when this came out.

Kokonoe

Banned

haikira

PC version being late is a disappointment. Jet Set Radio has been a great experience on the PC for me so far. Would definitely have got this day one too.

Would have bit if Sega could have been bothered to setup some kind of online multiplayer. With that possibility out, there's pretty much no reason for me to buy this.

Revven

No camera fix? No tightened controls? ...really?

Maybe through modding it... but not from SEGA officially.

That latter statement has me confused. The controls are very good, no problem with them whatsoever from what I remember. Camera though? Yeah, some issues here and there but really you can get by them.

Kokonoe

Banned
Homing Attack was solid, possibly the best it's ever been. Well, it and Generations have pretty good homing attack functions.

SA2 has level design that actually accommodates the homing attack- not the abundance of bottomless pits that Heroes/06 suffered from. So it gets away with a lot based on that.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
so what's your excuse
I'm young at heart. >.>

Honest answer: playing it for the Sonic/Shadow levels which are pretty decent (and as other have acknowledged, the HA doesn't function poorly here) and for the music. I'm curious as to if the HD version is going to be decent or poor like the SA1 PSN/XBLA version was.

WillyFive

homing attack?

i mean yeah ALL sonic games are terrible here but still

What about the homing attack? The character will home towards whichever way you were pointing the analog stick, it was simple and responsive. And it didn't have the annoying crosshairs, either.

What about the homing attack? The character will home towards whichever way you were pointing the analog stick, it was simple and responsive. And it didn't have the annoying crosshairs, either.

You realise they added the crosshairs because the games got faster and you need to know where you're going to be going instantly, right

Nice. It's worth it alone for Sonic and Shadow's levels, especially the latter ones.

Wow. I was almost 25 when this came out.

Ya, but you have to beat the horrible treasure hunting to get that far. If it was like SA1 where you stayed the same character it would be fine.

Boney

Banned
I guess I'm saying the homing attack is OK in this? I mean, it works- it's still hammering the A button to progress, which isn't good game design, but at least it works.

does it really?

I'm young at heart. >.>

Honest answer: playing it for the Sonic/Shadow levels which are pretty decent (and as other have acknowledged, the HA doesn't function poorly here) and for the music. I'm curious as to if the HD version is going to be decent or poor like the SA1 PSN/XBLA version was.

at least you're admitting of your wrong doing schala sweetie
next step is to repent

Kokonoe

Banned
I actually prefer the Knuckles levels in SA2 over SA1 because they aren't positively the easiest things imaginable. SA2 they were hidden a bit better, in SA1 you could find them really really fast. Although SA2's Knuckles levels were still easy regardless, just not as easy.

WillyFive

You realise they added the crosshairs because the games got faster and you need to know where you're going to be going instantly, right

What difference did it make? I had more problems with Generation's homing attacks than SA2, because the crosshair seemed to have a mind of it's own and pick stuff I didn't want.

What difference did it make? I had more problems with Generation's homing attacks than SA2, because the crosshair seemed to have a mind of it's own and pick stuff I didn't want.

Oh, OK, I thought you took issue with the big-ass crosshair visual element itself. Sounds like you're more annoyed at the homing attack targeting- which, yeah, could be better.

Boney

Banned
It doesn't send you plummeting to your death like in Heroes, put it that way.
i remember dying plenty of times with it because of how broken it is

you calling me a liar?

loved it when it circled the target and looped it like 6 times before dropping to your death

Revven

loved it when it circled the target and looped it like 6 times before dropping to your death

That... never happens in SA2, you're thinking of Heroes. It was god awful in Heroes.

Only instance I could even think of that would happen in is MP... vs a human opponent.

WillyFive

Oh, OK, I thought you took issue with the big-ass crosshair visual element itself. Sounds like you're more annoyed at the homing attack targeting- which, yeah, could be better.

To be fair, the actual visual element itself was annoying too; and misleading when not only you don't have enough time to make a selection, you actually can't since it's all the computer doing it. Luckily, the problems didn't start being problematic until the challenge stages; the normal stages themselves it worked without incident.

At this point, there has not been any real improvement with the homing attack since SA2. Which is weird, because it seems Sega rebuilds a game from scatch every game instead of improving upon their past games. It's baffling how the Sonic 2006 board segments didn't improve upon the SA2 versions, instead they used a completely new engine that didn't work at all. Considering all the deadline problems with Sega games, you'd think they wouldn't waste time with rebuilding stuff.

at least i'll not be bitching when izuka keeps releasing terrible games i guess

:lol

Nah I guess I got lucky with the homing attack. Like I said, the level design isn't working against you in this one... as much. So that probably helped. IDK. It's not great. No denying that. But it's less bad here.

Swings and roundabouts.

Kokonoe

Banned
I haven't experienced anything of this sort with the homing attack in SA2, nor have I ever seen someone mention it out of all the discussions I've ever had. The Homing Attack always lets you do one more after you land a hit, so falling to your death is impossible unless you just aren't playing the game or make a big mistake.

To be fair, the actual visual element itself was annoying too; and misleading when not only you don't have enough time to make a selection, you actually can't since it's all the computer doing it. Luckily, the problems didn't start being problematic until the challenge stages; the normal stages themselves it worked without incident.

At this point, there has not been any real improvement with the homing attack since SA2. Which is weird, because it seems Sega rebuilds a game from scatch every game instead of improving upon their past games. It's baffling how the Sonic 2006 board segments didn't improve upon the SA2 versions, instead they used a completely new engine that didn't work at all. Considering all the deadline problems with Sega games, you'd think they wouldn't waste time with rebuilding stuff.

That's why I'm so glad Sonic '06 wasn't called Adventure 3. It doesn't deserve the title.

I haven't experienced anything of this sort with the homing attack in SA2, nor have I ever seen someone mention it out of all the discussions I've ever had. The Homing Attack always lets you do one more after you land a hit, so falling to your death is impossible unless you just aren't playing the game or make a big mistake.

Agreed. It made Sky Rail fun.

I definitely liked it, although I kind of like the current actor. Like, I haven't heard enough of him as Knuckles to make an accurate judgment in that regard, but the day they brought him on? ALL FEMALE SONIC CHARACTERS WERE REQUIRED TO WEAR... TINY MINISKIRTS!

(Although I prefer Willingham's more badass moments to his goofy ones, admittedly... Oh, fun fact! The person he's killing is Blaze. :D)
I like Travis Willingham but I won't pass judgment until Knuckles is in another Sonic game... where he actually, you know, does stuff.

Dan Green is really good too, but I think 4Kids should have gone with Marc Diraison.

WillyFive

That's why I'm so glad Sonic '06 wasn't called Adventure 3. It doesn't deserve the title.

It doesn't deserve it because the game wasn't even a year close to being finished. But by any other consideration, it's what a sequel to SA1 and SA2 would be like.

Kokonoe

Banned
Sonic 2006 uses the same style as Adventure, but it's like comparing Sonic 4 to Sonic 3/Knuckles, except much worse.

qq more

That... never happens in SA2, you're thinking of Heroes.

Uh, no. SA2 (at least the Gamecube version) has this issue too. It happened to me a few times when I replayed it last year. Luckily it didn't happen to enemies that were above pits so I didn't die due to that dumb glitch. But that circling around enemy glitch is definitely there.

Kokonoe

Banned
Would help with proof. Circling is when you use the charge up attack, but it never messes you up as it's designed to do that.

qq more

Would help with proof. Circling is when you use the charge up attack, but it never messes you up as it's designed to do that.

If only I had the equipment to record what's on my TV. I'm not saying it happens a lot (in fact, the glitch occurs rarely) but I remember it happening for sure.

EDIT: To make sure we're on the same page, we're talking about the homing attack glitch where Sonic begins to circle around the enemy in mid air instead of just hitting it, right?

Top Bottom