• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Adventure 2 HD |OT| googoo g'joob googoo g'joob

Knuckles was barely a character after SA2. He was... just kind of there.

Fans complain if their favourite characters don't show up, so Sega just shoved them in even if it didn't make any sense.

"What? Floating Island? Master Emerald? No Tails, I'm the Guardian of Partying Down!"

They're passed that now, thankfully.

Noi

Well, it was the beginning of the transition to nudge him out of the role that they were going to put Poochie into.

I've always wondered what "way too cool" cliches Shadow doesn't fall under since his inception. He pretty much runs through a huge part of the gamut in just SA2 and Heroes, let alone Shadow the Hedgehog.

WillyFive

Anyone remember the Sonic X adaptation of this game? It was the second half of the second season of the show, and they tacked on Chris and the rest of the Sonic X characters into the story. It wasn't that bad honestly, but I wouldn't say it improved much on the story.

Kokonoe

Banned
Anyone remember the Sonic X adaptation of this game? It was the second half of the second season of the show, and they tacked on Chris and the rest of the Sonic X characters into the story. It wasn't that bad honestly, but I wouldn't say it improved much on the story.

I didn't get to watch that part as I stopped watching the show before it happened, I saw a few episodes I think where he went Super Sonic, though. (might have been some of the episodes)

I do like Sonic X, and plan on watching the series in the next few weeks or month.

I remember it for one scene when they were in the pyramid base and the butler guy goes up to a door with a big keyhole on it, puts his eye right to the keyhole and says something like "ah there is a keyhole here".
Yeah, no shit Tanaka.

WillyFive

I do like Sonic X, and plan on watching the series in the next few weeks or month.

I should probably do it too. All I've seen is the 4kids dub, which looking back it was absolutely atrocious. Since the original version is available on Hulu, I should check it out. The first season of Sonic X was vastly superior without the 4kids dub, especially the music.

Tizoc

Sonic X felt boring for me, anime-wise.
You should check out the Sonic X comic instead, it has some great stuff-
article8_scarlette.jpg

SonicX26.jpg

What? El Gran Gordo is awesome! It's a shame there isn't a TPB collecting his legendary exploits =(

Revven

After a few runs, I loved Final Rush. Just imagine if you could effortlessly jump between rails like in every 3D Sonic game after Adventure 2. Its sad I don't even expect that fix.

Well... technically modders could probably make switching grinds easier, though, I really doubt that would be any sort of priority anyway. The way switching grinds still works in SA2, it just takes a bit of skill and knowing when you should switch.

I, personally, don't like the tacked on feeling rails serve now in the Sonic series, especially since you can't fall off of them now. In SA2, there was a place for them where it made sense, and while there were two whole levels dedicated to grinding or had a lot of it, that was part of the challenge in a sense. Sky Rail wouldn't be as memorable, IMO, if you could effortlessly switch rails (music aside... and visuals). Granted, Sky Rail would probably benefit from it fun-wise, it just would suck all the challenge out of that level.

Boney

Banned
Boney, this comes off as rather rude. Is this your intention?

When you come into this thread and say negative things about the franchise itself, and only negative things, it kinda hurts your credibility when it seems your only remarks are to tell people they are 6 year olds for liking a game you don't.

I think I'm allowed to diss on bad games on a gaming forum.

Maybe not, I should go ask before I get in trouble :eek:

BlackJace

Yeah, you're right. You can diss a game you feel is "bad", but making rude comments about the people who enjoy the game is what's unnecessary.

"Stop liking what I don't like" is what it comes across as.

Kokonoe

Banned
His role in Sonic Riders was to get unreasonably angry at everything and threaten to punch things but never actually do it, as I recall
I wouldn't be surprised.

You having an opinion is perfectly fine, in fact people having different opinions leads to more discussion and people learn new things about these games when they see how others view them, it sheds more light on it. However, coming in this thread to mock the Sonic series, then proceed to mock people who enjoy the game, and then bring up a glitch as if it's gamebreaking out of nowhere that isn't documented like the Red and Blue glitches just makes you come across as if you're on an agenda.

Your rude comments don't help either and it's hard to take what you have to say seriously, and you bringing up a dispute that was already settled before just seems like you are rather spiteful. I clearly have already apologized for saying that in front of everyone, please do not go around trying to start more drama because it entertains you.

I think the worst level in the game was Final Chase. Or Sky Rail.

It's totally Final Chase, at least as far as Sonic and Shadow Stages go.
Crazy Gadget is a runner up, Sky Rail is much more tolerable than those two if a little bland.
Speaking of Crazy Gadget I look forward to the old "upside down bounce bracelet into light dash kerfuffle", lets see how may victims it claims with the awful design decision.

The actual worst stage is probably one of the really boring shooter ones like Lost Colony or Eternal Engine maybe?

BlackJace

The actual worst stage is probably one of the really boring shooter ones like Lost Colony or Eternal Engine maybe?

Eh, the "worst" of the Shooter levels aren't "bad" based off of their design principles, IMO. They were more annoying and long than anything else. Had SEGA polished some aspects of the battle systems, it it would've really shone, I think.
But if we were to ask my least favorite, it would, without a doubt, be Hidden Base. (or whatever Eggman's desert level is, I might be confusing the name with Tails' desert stage name)

"LULZ, NOW THAT I'M BACK HOME, LET ME SNEAK INTO MY BASE".

I don't know, eternal engine has a gimmick of TNT attached to doors that upon being blown up will suck you into outer space for instant death, in a gameplay style where one must lock onto enemies with a cursor that locks onto anything it can.

But the premise alone for Eggman's hidden base is pretty bad, if he can sneak into his won base the crafty government will never know!

WillyFive

I think the worst level in the game was Final Chase. Or Sky Rail.

Why? They were great, and the ton of rail-fu made it really exciting.

The worst one is probably either the racing stages or the final one where you had to use all the characters together. Not because it was bad, but because it was so tiring that I never wanted to go through all of it again.

Final Rush was Rail-fu, Final Chase was like crappy camera columns, I imagine that's what those things were called in the games coding, it makes so much sense.

BlackJace

Why? They were great, and the ton of rail-fu made it really exciting.

The worst one is probably either the racing stages or the final one where you had to use all the characters together. Not because it was bad, but because it was so tiring that I never wanted to go through all of it again.

Final Rush was Rail-fu, Final Chase was like crappy camera columns, I imagine that's what those things were called in the games coding, it makes so much sense.

OMG Aero

But the premise alone for Eggman's hidden base is pretty bad, if he can sneak into his won base the crafty government will never know!
You know the enemies you fight on that level are GUN robots right?
He has to sneak/shoot his way into his own base because they set up a defence around it.

BlackJace

He has to sneak/shoot his way into his own base because they set up a defence around it.

In the some of the cutscenes, you see Eggman and Rouge use a teleporter to get themselves where they needed to be. Why not teleport back into his base?

Well yeah, they are there, they certainly know he's there, if anything he's already rumbled, moreso now he's spotted in the area trying to sneak back in. And after that GUN seemingly don't give a damn anymore and give up, his sneaky re-entry was just that good that they bail out.

Basically I find the whole premise in general rather humorous including the aftermath.

Actually even better, the hidden base isn't hidden enough to stop GUN finding it within like the first segment of the game, there we go, Eggman needs to stop putting his face on EVERYTHING.

A better question would be who has never attacked Omochao in some way, the answer is nobody.

Now who aside from Professor Beef goes into chao gardens and abuses chao for their own sick amusement? granted the Eggman swipe and punt are very tempting.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
How does this game compare to the first one? And is the Steam version of SA1 any good? I'd like to finish that game someday, I never beat the final boss.

I think I'll wait for a price drop on SA2.

BlackJace

How does this game compare to the first one? And is the Steam version of SA1 any good? I'd like to finish that game someday, I never beat the final boss.

I think I'll wait for a price drop on SA2.

First off, finish SA1. The final boss was so good, I made an entire thread about the importance of the lead-up to a great final boss.

And secondly, as many have said, SA2 is a "love it or hate it" game. The controls are tighter, and the absence of Adventure fields is a blessing or a curse to many. The story? Well, just read Mama Robotnik's synopsis. It's accurate as hell.

It's worth a buy if you're a fan of the series.

Kokonoe

Banned

Already beat you, but me too!

First off, finish SA1. The final boss was so good, I made an entire thread about the importance of the lead-up to a great final boss.

And secondly, as many have said, SA2 is a "love it or hate it" game. The controls are tighter, and the absence of Adventure fields is a blessing or a curse to many. The story? Well, just read Mama Robotnik's synopsis. It's accurate as hell.

It's worth a buy if you're a fan of the series.

Agreed. Finishing SA1 first is the proper way to go.

Top Bottom