• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed |OT| Everybody's Super Sonic Racing

A.E Suggs

After playing for about 6 hours solid I can say that this game is good but the original was much better, the really low resolution hurts my eyes and they really turboed it up maybe a little too much. Also sucks that all the weapons are unrelated generic items and not from segas huge vault of concepts and designs. Also deria or whoever should not be in this rouster.

Come on now we already went over this, she was a free character and she's not going anywhere.

kunonabi

At least Danica and Ralph could equal exposure and sales. Some of those dlc characters are just garbage. Just because SEGA wants to focus on their most profitable IPs doesn't mean we want them shitting up the one last fan-service game we're probably going to get.

One thing I will say about the graphics, the models for characters could be a LOT better. Most of them seem like creepy barbies in sega clothes when they're posing.
Oh you mean LIKE THIS
ibo8vzWBpX0Qtv.jpg

Berordn

At least Danica and Ralph could equal exposure sales. Some of those dlc characters are just garbage. Just because SEGA wants to focus on their most profitable IPs doesn't mean we want them shitting up the one last fan-service game we're probably going to get.

Ages is all the fanservice I ever need. Seriously though, most of their classic IPs are represented in the game, even if they're not playable. What more could you ask of fanservice?

Unrelated, I've been digging my way through an audio rip. Someone should bug Sega/Sumo about a soundtrack release, stat.

A.E Suggs

When you go to sega website to vote make sure one of them is for Sakura Shinguji or Blaze Fielding. Ryo is already winning so no point in voting for an almost shoe in character anyway.

When you go to sega website to vote make sure one of them is for Sakura Shinguji or Blaze Fielding. Ryo is already winning so no point in voting for an almost shoe in character anyway.

Segata and Toejam/Earl should be the other 2, no contest.

My pipe dream character being Joe Sketcher because Comix Zone deserves love.

flattie

Not much Panzer love there so far. I'd buzz off getting to have one of the riders (any) from the series and their vehicle being a morphing dragon which goes between running, swimming and flying.

Played a little more, I think I'm done. I'm just not enjoying it at all. I'd rather be playing the first one, with my wheel, or Hydro Thunder Hurricane, or Outrun. In fact I dislike it so much I'm considering buying that F1 kart racer instead.

I'm real curious as to what the reviews are going to be like. The last game didn't set the world on fire but I really believe this one is worse, in every conceivable way. I'm really disappointed.

Teknoman

Not much Panzer love there so far. I'd buzz me off getting to have one of the riders (any) from the series and their vehicle being a morphing dragon which goes between running, swimming and flying.

DLC I bet. Character works too well not to be...right?

madmackem

IGN gave the PS360 versions an 8.6 and the impressions around here are pretty positive. My guess is that the ONM review is a fluke. We'll see, but between that and SOL stating that it's got slightly better textures and frame rate I severely doubt anybody playing this on Wii U will be let down.

Alough the wii u version has no voice chat which might be a big let down to some.

EDarkness

Alough the wii u version has no voice chat which might be a big let down to some.

I've never used voice chat in any game on any system, so this doesn't even matter to me. Though, it is a little strange that the Wii U version doesn't have voice chat. I may end up picking this up later since my release game budget is pretty much spent. :(

Burning Justice

the superior princess
I've been blazing through World Tour mode, and just unlocked
AGES
. Been playing for ~8 hours, according to my in-game license. Man, this game is fun. Hard difficulty is very satisfying.

Oddly enough, I'm still missing two characters--Eggman and Avatar, I think.

Tizoc

BTW Guys let me know if you want to add your XBL or PSN usernames to the first post for online match making.
...and if anyone's gonna make like a session or so later on today please let us know~

Been forever since I've been to the Sega Forums. Had a lot of characters that I wanted to go with, but I eventually decided on:

1. Ristar
2. Vectorman
3. Selvaria Bles - Valkyria Chronicles
SegataSanshiro.gif

Pretty cool that Fang the Sniper won the Sonic poll. Nice to see Blaze do good as well. But Silver up that high? Ugh.

Oh wow, great for Fang/Nack, would be neat to see him show up.

I'd give it a 62% based on the terrible character roster. Do we really need six Sonic characters? Or, hell, if space is so limited, anything other than one character per franchise?

The game has less Sonic characters than the first, and you have twice as many non-Sonic characters in this game as well.

Goron2000

best junior ever
A small tip: If you are struggling with any flying challenges you can get a risk boost by avoiding terrain with the right stick.

Goron2000

best junior ever
I've been blazing through World Tour mode, and just unlocked
AGES
. Been playing for ~8 hours, according to my in-game license. Man, this game is fun. Hard difficulty is very satisfying.

Oddly enough, I'm still missing two characters--Eggman and Avatar, I think.
You have to do all of grand prix to unlock them

There's a chance I'll be getting a WiiU on Sunday and this is the only game I want for it, lol. Being able to play with 5 people is awesome, I hope it turns out to be a good version.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
ONM gave a 6.2 to this title, Wii U version.
http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/43897/best-wii-u-games/?page=1

What we said: The early excitement of the transformations doesn't make up for an interminable world tournament, poor local multiplayer and uninspiring weapons. The mixture of Sega and Sumo (with a hint of Bizarre) should have made for a game that was as accomplished as it was nostalgic. Instead, it just feels pallid.

Score: 62%

To me, sounds like one of those "official nintendo snob" review (if it would have been MK, it would have been better!") and everythiong I'v seen so far about the game, pleased me. So, Wii u version is the only one I'm interested it: if someone will try it out, or read another review, please let me know.

Thank you.

deleted

What we said: The early excitement of the transformations doesn't make up for an interminable world tournament, poor local multiplayer and uninspiring weapons. The mixture of Sega and Sumo (with a hint of Bizarre) should have made for a game that was as accomplished as it was nostalgic. Instead, it just feels pallid.

To me, sounds like one of those "official nintendo snob" review (if it would have been MK, it would have been better!") and everythiong I'v seen so far about the game, pleased me. So, Wii u version is the only one I'm interested it: if someone will try it out, or read another review, please let me know.

Thank you.

Wait, what? 5 player Splitscreen, battle mode and Monkey Ball mode are/play bad?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Wait, what? 5 player Splitscreen, battle mode and Monkey Ball mode are/play bad?

I honestly don't know.
I mean: or it has TECHNICAL issues (serious ones, as the early build frame rate drops) or this game is at least as good as on the other platform, or even better (it has MORE game options, and a good use of the gamepad)
It would not be the first time that an official Nintendo magazine doesn't "like" a third party "copycat" of a Nintendo franchise...
Please let me know if you find other review, thanks!

DonMigs85

Man I wish it was 60FPS on consoles... Nintendo was right IMO to stick with 60FPS on Mario Kart, as was CodeMasters with their F1 Kart game.
Might get the PC version sometime if I have a more capable system, but by then Mario Kart U might be out.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
if they play bad, sure. options doesn't automatically = good.

But the snippet doesn't talk at all about technical problem, so I would know how the multiplayer modes can be "poor" if the Wii U version offer more modes.
Is the "Monkey ball" part bland? Ok, but how could be "poor" the normal multiplayer with in addition the chance to be played without splitscreen or up to 5 player?

Thank you.

I seriously think Nintendo should sue, what SEGA and Sumo did here is just wrong.

Also any 'official' magazine for any of the big three companies tends to be fairly awful when it comes to non-PR material so I'm not surprised ONM in this case just gave a vague as all hell 'its poor' comment and left it at that. Would've only raised an alarm if they cited something like a crappy frame rate or other technical issues.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I seriously think Nintendo should sue, what SEGA and Sumo did here is just wrong.

Also any 'official' magazine for any of the big three companies tends to be fairly awful when it comes to non-PR material so I'm not surprised ONM in this case just gave a vague as all hell 'its poor' comment and left it at that. Would've only raised an alarm if they cited something like a crappy frame rate or other technical issues.

yeah, I agree, this is my feeling right now.
let's wait for other Wii u reviews; if they'll be as negative as this one, I'll skip the game.

Choc

Banned
This game is 10000x better than recent mario karts. So much creativity. Don't sue just copy some shit for mk to make it relevant again

Also there is no grounds to sue. It's not a direct ripoff only Nintendo fanboys would be stupid enough to think that

Inspired by, sure. Complete rip off? No

flattie

Sue for what for exactly?

I'm not comfortable with all the lazy comments in the reviews/previews stating how this game has just followed MK7s lead with land/sea/air. It has been in development for over two years and while nobody can say when they decided to implement the mechanic, I seriously, seriously doubt that SUMO saw the MK7 unveiling and decided they just had to copy it. Not that this is being explicitly stated, but it is being implied.

deleted

if they play bad, sure. options doesn't automatically = good.

If anything from the Blur playbook did make its way into Transformed it is simply not able to play bad ;)

And the other reviews mention the great local multiplayer, so some review is biased OR it's technical issues, which would be way worse...

Tizoc

Thanks for the linsk to the reviews guys, gonna make a new thread and post the links in them =)
Will also update the first post with the links to the reviews.

Burning rangers stage is a love hate relationship, some real annoying areas where the hard AI can just zip through like nothing.

Also sticking police cars after loops in traffic attack is an ass move.

The reactions that ONM review has caused in this thread are more shameful than the relatively low score they handed the game.
Making rash judgements about the reviewer, implying agendas and so on when all we've got to go on is a small summary paragraph, bloody hell.
Not that I endorse their reviews, never forget that 91% Red Steel and whatever high score they gave My Sims, now they certainly whiffed a bit.

This game is solid but it's not the second coming of kart racers some here seem to be anticipating.

Top Bottom