• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed |OT| Everybody's Super Sonic Racing

Tizoc

Yeah, I know, but I would much rather have them. I could just as well go buy it in retail tomorrow (and that's even cheaper than the PSN price!) and have the bonus stuff. But I think I'll just wait for the Wii U release like I originally had planned.

Coolios, hope you'll have fun playing it =D

Berordn

Yes it should! My PS3 copy is the US ver. and it had the Metal Sonic and Outrun Bay DLCs, and the codes worked =3 Hmm wonder if they'll show up in my Vita Download list....

Hm. Grab it for PS3 or wait for PC release... now I'm truly torn.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Hmm, seems you can't finish World Tour on medium... I've been doing every race medium, and have just hit a padlock for 120 stars. I'm on 106. Uh-oh.

Even if I just re-did some events on hard, I'd need to do 14 of them I guess. :-/

Hmm, seems you can't finish World Tour on medium... I've been doing every race medium, and have just hit a padlock for 120 stars. I'm on 106. Uh-oh.

Even if I just re-did some events on hard, I'd need to do 14 of them I guess. :-/

Well shit, i've been doing all on mine of medium for now, except the last one I did which was the ring challenge before unlocking Vyse in which I eventually dropped to Bronze after repeated failures.
But hey, at least i've unlocked Shadow the Hedgehog, i'm the envy of kids everywhere now.

Someone mentioned earlier about pulling off successful jumps that end up with you essentially crashing while the game applauds your tricks, I seemed to have this happen a few times earlier.

RawNuts

I've been going nuts on this game; just got to 165 stars in world tour which unlocks
AGES; also, Reala is at 160.
Not sure how much farther I can make it, the next event I see is after a lock that requires 200 stars (out of a possible 232), screw that.

Xater

So we don't get the bonus stuff if we buy the game right now off PSN? That kinda sucks...

Don#t care about Metal Sonic but the track is something I would want. Does the track show up in the world tour or is it just something you can play in MP and time trial?

Tizoc

So we don't get the bonus stuff if we buy the game right now off PSN? That kinda sucks...

Don#t care about Metal Sonic but the track is something I would want. Does the track show up in the world tour or is it just something you can play in MP and time trial?
I disnt see it show up in gp or world tour modes

This is bullshit if true. You shouldn't be punished for using a method of commerce that generates more income for Sony and one would assume the publisher.

Coxy

Voted for Selvaria, Kiryu and any kind of Phantasy Star representative, feel like S0L is trolling us with trying to get 1000 people on the sega forums to agree on anything though :p

Kokonoe

Banned
This game controls differently than the last game, in some ways it feels like a different game and it's hard to judge from the demo. The game seems more difficult than the first one and the items seem to be more powerful this time around.

ShadiWulf

This game controls differently than the last game, in some ways it feels like a different game and it's hard to judge from the demo. The game seems more difficult than the first one and the items seem to be more powerful this time around.

they drastically changed the physics and made vehicle handling more realistic. it doesn't play like a kart racer, it plays like an arcade racing game. Especially once you reach expert mode, it's crazy fast and lots of crashing into walls if you don't drift right.

Tizoc

iF ANYone's up for some online games I'll be online within an hour (PS3).

This is bullshit if true. You shouldn't be punished for using a method of commerce that generates more income for Sony and one would assume the publisher.

Thing is the online pre-order bonus didn't even get any official mention...at all...ANYWHERE from what I remember. I happened to stumble upon, made a thread about it, even but no one seemed to have gotten it from the responses I read.

Kokonoe

Banned
they drastically changed the physics and made vehicle handling more realistic. it doesn't play like a kart racer, it plays like an arcade racing game. Especially once you reach expert mode, it's crazy fast and lots of crashing into walls if you don't drift right.

Yeah, I can see that. Well one thing's for certain, I definitely wanna pick up the game now even though it's a little different from what I expected. I finally managed to get first place after my 4th or 5th try on Expert, I think it's kinda fun that it's more challenging this time around. I usually burn through Kart Racers. They weren't kidding about amping up the AI.

Shiloa

I can't seem to see where it's listed that the Bonus content (Metal Sonic + Outrun Bay= is included in the digital version on EU PSN. Was it ONLY for preorders?

DON'T WORRY! I bought it today (not pre-order) from EU PSN and it included Outrun and Metal Sonic.

Berordn

Picked it up PS3 at lunch and started playing it. It is most certainly closer to an arcade racer than anything.

Quick thoughts:

The framerate (or blur?) makes things feel a bit off, but after a minute or two I got used to it.
Ralph is a jerk when the CPU controls him.
I don't get how the planes work, at all.
The tracks are fucking incredible so far, and the returning ones look nicer than I remember.
Metal Sonic is a cheap, empty victory.
World Tour mode is much more fun than a standard GP, even if it's basically the same idea with mission mode mixed in.

SykoTech

DON'T WORRY! I bought it today (not pre-order) from EU PSN and it included Outrun and Metal Sonic.

So the PSN version includes the Bonus Content stuff and just isn't labeled? Awesome if so. Might go digital now.

Man I wish they would have did that $20 back promotion this month instead of October. Between this and PS: Battle Royale I would have been set, and used the $20 to buy R&C: Full Frontal Assault.

Tizoc

Try using Flight assist til u get the hang of it.
My brother played it for the first time today and got the hang of planes by the first time he played them.
Also Air Drifting makes no sense, but hey it's cool....

Berordn

Try using Flight assist til u get the hang of it.
My brother played it for the first time today and got the hang of planes by the first time he played them.
Also Air Drifting makes no sense, but hey it's cool....

Yeah, I was trying to avoid turning that on, but it would probably help. It'll play out better for me, I just feel like a complete scrub for using it.

ShadiWulf

Picked it up PS3 at lunch and started playing it. It is most certainly closer to an arcade racer than anything.

Quick thoughts:

The framerate (or blur?) makes things feel a bit off, but after a minute or two I got used to it.
The tracks are fucking incredible so far, and the returning ones look nicer than I remember.
World Tour mode is much more fun than a standard GP, even if it's basically the same idea with mission mode mixed in.

The framerate was jarring to me at first too, but i adjusted within minutes

Also, been racing as Sonic on hard mode, used default fast Sonic and i kept crashing into walls, default Sonic's handling is baaad

then i leveled up and unlocked balanced, which is just 1 speed less then default, and everything went much smoother, much better handling and honestly felt like I was going faster since I wasn't going into walls a lot.

Also helps to feather the gas to get around curves, so you dont crash into walls, crashing into walls cancels the boost you gain from drifting.

edit: after getting used to the game default Sonic is better, much faster, but starting out was really hard to get used to at first, but now i prefer default Sonic :)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yes! Demo is up on EU PSN!

Now the wait will be a little more bearable, no thanks to you amazon :(

...I'm going to download it and play as soon as possible ( aka: in some hours, if not tomorrow probably :lol )

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Avatar (and I assume Mii) is unlocked when you complete the first five GPs, btw.

The Avatar car is pretty cool. Black and neon green. The wheels are Guide buttons (LOL) and on the back of the car is the ring of light from the console.

Edit: Oh, and unlike a lot of other Avatar games it seems to support costumes. Driving around in my Halo 4 armour. LOL

MicH

It feels like there's some input lag in the ps3 demo, it's especially annoying when I'm flying. :/
I just played the PS3 Demo and activated an All-Star Power while in the water. It felt like the game was about to crash, I could hardly control the boat! It lagged quite a lot. Only time I experienced it, though.

I'm also having trouble with the boat and plane sections. The karting is perfect.

B-Dex

I can't dl the demo on my EU account. Gives me an error when I add it to cart :(.

Seems the US demo on xbox is gold only too.

RoyalFool

Banned
Bit disappointed by this so far, none of the vehicles feel quite as good as in the previous game - it's also much harder which means the kids are getting frustrated with it. I think the biggest change was you could scape along the wall in the previous game and not get too penalized, in this one you come to a stop pretty fast - and also the all-star moves require some skill, so they can't rely on that any-more to get them back to the front of the pack (but I'll admit for serious gamers these are probably a plus!)

My biggest gripe is that the graphics look really washed out, the original game adjusted the resolution down when it needed to but this one looks to be running in lower resolution the whole time - combined with really bright ambient lighting and a ton of bloom/flare, even the darkest blacks end up being a light grey. I wonder if it's a 360 specific thing or not - would be tempted to double dip on the PC version if it's a bit more vibrant.

Avatar (and I assume Mii) is unlocked when you complete the first five GPs, btw.

The Avatar car is pretty cool. Black and neon green. The wheels are Guide buttons (LOL) and on the back of the car is the ring of light from the console.

Edit: Oh, and unlike a lot of other Avatar games it seems to support costumes. Driving around in my Halo 4 armour. LOL

When you crash, does the ring turn red?

Jucksalbe

Banned
Just tried the demo (on PS3) and loved it. It feels so much like Diddy Kong Racing.
Anyway, after the second race the controls felt great, I even enjoyed the boost challenge (even though I couldn't beat it on hard). The frame rate could be better but I didn't mind so much.
The two weeks until the WiiU version releases are gonna be hard.

I have a question for people who already own the game : can you play the storymode OR custom races online with another friend against AIs karts only? Instead of playing against other random humans.

I know from the Little Big Planet Karting beta it is possible in that game. On the other hand, it's impossible in Mario Kart Wii so we'd like to know before hand since it's a deal breaker.

Tizoc

I have a question for people who already own the game : can you play the storymode OR custom races online with another friend against AIs karts only? Instead of playing against other random humans.

I know from the Little Big Planet Karting beta it is possible in that game. On the other hand, it's impossible in Mario Kart Wii so we'd like to know before hand since it's a deal breaker.

Yes, you can play online with any other 3 offline players.
I was in a lobby and there was a player who entered with another offline person, as they both shared the same username.
...and GP can be completed with up to 4 players~

Yes, you can play online with any other 3 offline players.
I was in a lobby and there was a player who entered with another offline person, as they both shared the same username.
...and GP can be completed with up to 4 players~

Sorry I meant my friend and I are both online, not in local on the same console and we'd like to play against AIs karts. Thanks for the reply in any case. :)

So your saying I could have got it on 360, purchased a Kane outfit for my avatar and driven around as the big red machine?
Damn that's not bad.
Meanwhile in PS3 land the exclusive character is jack shit, strange how this version got nothing, even the PC is joining the exclusive fray this time.

Going through the mirror GPs and i'm finding the Shinobi and Monkey Ball stages are growing on me quite a lot, I only recently discovered the monkey target and was filled with glee.
I'm also feeling a twinge of disappointment in some tracks where upon reaching later laps the track itself gets replaced by one big flying section, there's just not much to them half the time.

GrayFoxPL

Quick thoughts:

Can you tell me if there are different control options then just the triggers?

ShadiWulf

Really liking this game. It's really jarring at first, especially the boating and flying, but I'm adjusting still...

So your saying I could have got it on 360, purchased a Kane outfit for my avatar and driven around as the big red machine?
Damn that's not bad.
Meanwhile in PS3 land the exclusive character is jack shit, strange how this version got nothing, even the PC is joining the exclusive fray this time.

Going through the mirror GPs and i'm finding the Shinobi and Monkey Ball stages are growing on me quite a lot, I only recently discovered the monkey target and was filled with glee.
I'm also feeling a twinge of disappointment in some tracks where upon reaching later laps the track itself gets replaced by one big flying section, there's just not much to them half the time.

S0L said they tried to get sackboy (this was before lbp karting was announced) and Sony said no. Well, for obvious reasons now :p

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Really liking this game. It's really jarring at first, especially the boating and flying, but I'm adjusting still...

S0L said they tried to get sackboy (this was before lbp karting was announced) and Sony said no. Well, for obvious reasons now :p

Should've tried to get Home avatars. (LOL)

B-Dex

If their first choice was shot down figure an alternate out. Fat Princess! Or Drake! But no they did nothing.
apparently

Mpl90

Damn that's not bad.

Do we know for sure there won't be special characters for PS3 version at all? I remember it was said every version would have been different some different characters.

That's a shame, but yeah I guess it makes sense that Sony would decline that one.
If only perhaps there was a Sega franchise that has a noticeable tie to the playstation brand in particular, i'm sure we'd chronicle such events if so.

Do we know for sure there won't be special characters for PS3 version at all? I remember it was said every version would have been different some different characters.
Maybe they said this before Sony shot them down, it doesn't look as if anything's in the cards but hey i'm up for being proven wrong with free PS3 exclusive DLC somewhere down the line, yep, that would be spiffing.

Mpl90

That's a shame, but yeah I guess it makes sense that Sony would decline that one.
If only perhaps there was a Sega franchise that has a noticeable tie to the playstation brand in particular, i'm sure we'd chronicle such events if so.

Heck, why didn't they think about Yakuza characters in the game? XD

Berordn

Maybe one of the characters on the disc will be free for PS3 players? Team Fortress might make sense, if Valve's still pushing for Steam on PS3.

Top Bottom