• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed |OT| Everybody's Super Sonic Racing

FYI, Toys R Us had the Wii U version of this out today where I'm at. Works with the buy one get one 40% off deal too for those of you who are fence sitting.

Will chime in Sunday with some quick impressions.

RedBoot

What, exactly, makes it unfun. Looked pretty entertaining on streams.

I actually like it a lot (it changes a lot each lap, and the music is amazing), but the level is a lot narrower than other ones, and the turns are very sharp. It's generally easy to avoid hitting the walls when turning in most of the game, but you need to drift and occasionally anticipate your turns in this stage.

Plus, when you're playing it with weapons on, it can be nuts. So yeah, the first time you run through it, it might be tough. It's the second-to-last track though, so it probably should be hard.

ArjanN

It seems like S0L's challenged the community to make a nice, organized poll on the official Sega forums. So if any of those people who wanted a chance to get characters like Opa-Opa back or see some Phantasy Star love, they might want to head over there.

Aaaand I voted:

1. Segata Sanshiro
2. Bayonetta
3. Kazuma Kiryu - Yakuza

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
FYI, Toys R Us had the Wii U version of this out today where I'm at. Works with the buy one get one 40% off deal too for those of you who are fence sitting.

Will chime in Sunday with some quick impressions.

Awesome, I wonder if we will ever racing together online.

Skyzard

Banned
What we said: The early excitement of the transformations doesn't make up for an interminable world tournament, poor local multiplayer and uninspiring weapons. The mixture of Sega and Sumo (with a hint of Bizarre) should have made for a game that was as accomplished as it was nostalgic. Instead, it just feels pallid.

Had to look it up. It means endless. Too much content? Boohoo..

The weapons did look a little meh. The rest of the game looks fantastic.
I wonder what was poor about the local multiplayer (not that it will bother me since I'll hopefully be getting the vita version if it doesn't suck).

The previous game was missing a bit of charm too but from all the videos and demonstrations I've seen it looks like a must-have for me. This guy can suck it.

IGN gave the PS360 versions an 8.6 and the impressions around here are pretty positive. My guess is that the ONM review is a fluke. We'll see, but between that and SOL stating that it's got slightly better textures and frame rate I severely doubt anybody playing this on Wii U will be let down.

It's a little surprising how we not only lost a Sonic character from the first game, but we didn't gain any new ones to replace them. Not even Silver, which regardless of what you think of him, does have a fan following. (And honestly, if there was a push to add female characters, Blaze wouldn't have been a bad choice.) I understand why, with the work involved with redoing the characters and vehicles (the latter three times over), just a bit shocking part of the namesake saw roster compression, not expansion.

TaroYamada

Video of the final DLC character is now out
The manager From Football Manager

This is the sort of bullshit Fighters Megamix was loved for pulling off and good grief Sumo are carrying on beautiful Sega bullshit in fine tradition.

Sumo Digital are carrying out Segata's work.

I'm kind of shocked my source was correct about this, he was correct about Sonic Jump/Binary Domain PC but I just thought "no way" on FBM in All-Stars.

SykoTech

Been forever since I've been to the Sega Forums. Had a lot of characters that I wanted to go with, but I eventually decided on:

1. Ristar
2. Vectorman
3. Selvaria Bles - Valkyria Chronicles

Pretty cool that Fang the Sniper won the Sonic poll. Nice to see Blaze do good as well. But Silver up that high? Ugh.

ffdgh

Been forever since I've been to the Sega Forums. Had a lot of characters that I wanted to go with, but I eventually decided on:

1. Ristar
2. Vectorman
3. Selvaria Bles - Valkyria Chronicles

Pretty cool that Fang the Sniper won the Sonic poll. Nice to see Blaze do good as well. But Silver up that high? Ugh.

It's no use denying silver's popularity.

jon_dojah

Banned
Why is the savefile on PS3 locked? I haven't played a game in a good min where I couldn't transfer my savefile over to another PS3. It seems like it will let you copy to cloud if you have PS+ tho. I guess I'll have to pretty much play game completely on my PS3 as well as my girlfriends :(

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Well, I didn't vote because I don't have a SEGA forum account, but if I did, it'd be:

Alis Landale - Phantasy Star
Bayonetta
Jacky and Akira - Virtua Fighter

really?

i heard theres an online mode that turns off weapons and increases speed. at least that's what i heard on that live stream i was watching.
Yeah I guess maybe there is for online but not for single player.

Opponent AI is jacked up. You hit guys ahead of you and before you can catch up they're already up and running at full speed. It seems off.

Seems like some kind of rubber banding is in place again and once again there's no option to turn it off unlike the last game.

Got to say I'm pretty disappointed by this game all around so far. The flying and boat sections don't feel all that good to me.

Mesoian

Yeah I guess maybe there is for online but not for single player.

Opponent AI is jacked up. You hit guys ahead of you and before you can catch up they're already up and running at full speed. It seems off.

Seems like some kind of rubber banding is in place again and once again there's no option to turn it off unlike the last game.

Got to say I'm pretty disappointed by this game all around so far. The flying and boat sections don't feel all that good to me.

I'm playing on hard and I'm not getting any of that. You do get the, I was in first, then got hit and everyone proceeded to hit me until I was in 7th type deal, but that's just kart racers in general.

I've done about 4 stages in the world tour and have had a blast. I'm only doing hard mode at the moment and find it to be fast and nerve wracking.

Thus far, it's super fun.

Where do I find those?

In single player, they're in the 3rd category (I can't remember what it's called, not race or battle). The potporri thing.

No weapons, more boost pads.

When you say single player do you mean Career? Third option is time attack, is that it? Seems like your average time attack mode to me.

I'm enjoying the game except for the water sections. They're fucked. I don't understand why I'm so much slower than the AI in the water regardless of character and mod. The handling in the water is rather dodgy too. It may be worse for me, as I've just recently been playing Hydro Thunder, but yeah, I'm hating every second I spend in the water.

WillyFive

I'm enjoying the game except for the water sections. They're fucked. I don't understand why I'm so much slower than the AI in the water regardless of character and mod. The handling in the water is rather dodgy too. It may be worse for me, as I've just recently been playing Hydro Thunder, but yeah, I'm hating every second I spend in the water.

That sucks. I was hoping the game's water sections were like Hydro Thunder.

Yeah my game boner for this has not only shrunk but has actually retreated up into a body cavity.

My first impressions are it doesn't look as good or play as well as the first Sonic racing game. I don't even really know how to explain it other than it just feels off to me, maybe a combinations of the controls and frame rate.

Maybe my opinion will change after some more time with it.

After playing for about 6 hours solid I can say that this game is good but the original was much better, the really low resolution hurts my eyes and they really turboed it up maybe a little too much. Also sucks that all the weapons are unrelated generic items and not from segas huge vault of concepts and designs. Also deria or whoever should not be in this rouster.

Mesoian

Alright, Flash impressions after 2 hours and 54 stars.

+ Every match seems exciting and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of rubber banding. There a lot of items that can push the back foreward, but someone racing perfectly can take things pretty easily. The number 1 position can be safe if the player is a good driver

+ The courses are pretty amazing, save for a small few. The intricacies from lap to lap keep things interesting, even when you start to learn the courses and the nostigic nuiance wears off

/ The timing on stunts seems really wonky, especially on boats. There have been times where I do a quad flip and get nothing, but then off the same jump I do the same thing, and get the boost. I don't understand it.

- Traffic attack is stupid. It's too easy on medium and too hard on hard. There's no happy center and it gets frustrating when the camera's position keeps you from being able to see green or yellow cars that are below you, causing you to land on top of them.

-Billy Hatcher's course is fucking stupid. I understand where it's supposed to be hard, that last turn at the end is a motherfucker. But I have gotten stuck in walls and crevaces almost every time. I just scored and AllStar attack, used it, and it shot me into a tiny crevace between an ice ramp that has no strategic value and the wall, and I could not get out. This, however, may just be a problem with the boats in general. As I play more, I'll see if it gets replicated.

I really like it thus far though. The faster pace keeps things fun and exciting and the AI is nice and aggressive, even on courses where there aren't a lot of weaponry.

A7y9BbBCcAAV4t9.jpg

Can deal with the slightly underwhelming roster when our RRP is only $10 more than the US one and the rest of the game is so good.

Mesoian

One thing I will say about the graphics, the models for characters could be a LOT better. Most of them seem like creepy barbies in sega clothes when they're posing.

Top Bottom