• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed |OT| Everybody's Super Sonic Racing

Bgamer90

Banned
Locked on PS3 and 360 pretty much at 30 all the time on the original. The demo on XBL of the new game is most definitely not hitting 30 very often.

Okay; I knew something felt off.

I know that the demo for the first game had a lot of framerate issues (that were mostly sorted out in the final version of the game).

Here's to hoping that the final game will be an improvement.

I am addicted to the main menu theme

ClR8k.jpg

Bring it ladies, before I crack that 1:05 barrier

BTW 360 final version is a rock solid 30fps outside of a close to the screen explosion or something.

TheOGB

Banned
Really enjoying this so far. It controls a bit "heavier" than the original, and I'm more used to playing with Wiimote, but I'm having a great time. I'm about halfway through the second World Tour. I appreciate the difficulty, but is a bit trickier with these stages being so visually busy. Not too busy, but enough that it can cause more than a few bumps on your first ride through a track. Only disappointment so far is that they picked my least favorite mix of Starlight Carnival to remix. :<

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Yo Sumo guys, if you're still reading this thread, Giantbomb never got a copy of this game for WiiU and they're having their big crazy WiiU launch day extravaganza stream on Sunday. YOU SHOULD REALLY DO SOMETHING ABOUT THAT!

because that's Sumo's responsibility as the publisher and distributor and PR department

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Jut spent a few hours with the game, mainly in the world tour mode.

Wow.

This is hands-down the best kart-racer I've ever played. I really enjoyed the original and Sumo has outdone themselves with the sequel. I love the track designs and some of the newer stages had some real "holy shit!" moments during the car to flying transition segments. The Sonic Colors (?), Shinobi, Skies Of Arcadia, new Jet Set Radio, and Outrun tracks in particular are my favorites. And the music is just so GOOD! Hearing awesome remixes of music from Outrun and Shinobi III in particular put a big smile on my face.

This is definitely my favorite racing game this year. It absolutely shits all over Mario Kart 7 and makes it seem flat-out boring in comparison.

I'd be playing more, but I have to go into work tomorrow and need to go to bed. :(

Locked on PS3 and 360 pretty much at 30 all the time on the original. The demo on XBL of the new game is most definitely not hitting 30 very often.

Just tried the PS3 demo. Good to know the framerate is locked in the retail version. Was getting worried. Hopefully the Wii U version runs smoothly too.

Mesoian

because that's Sumo's responsibility as the publisher and distributor and PR department

When your publisher is SEGA, you have to do all you can. These are the people who had a game completely finished and localized, then delayed it for 8 months because "reasons".

There is no company I would trust less to get the word out about your game then Sega.

How many stars to unlock AGES?

Just tried the PS3 demo. Good to know the framerate is locked in the retail version. Was getting worried. Hopefully the Wii U version runs smoothly too.

I think you're confusing what I said. It was locked in the first game. It doesnt appear to be locked in the new one, which is unfortunate.

Mesoian

Is there any other way to unlock karts than world tour mode? Because some of these challenges are bananas. I can see a lot of people not being able to do a lot of them.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Is there any other way to unlock karts than world tour mode? Because some of these challenges are bananas. I can see a lot of people not being able to do a lot of them.

Two characters are unlocked via Grand Prix.

Otherwise, I agree. Really weird how high they've set some of the star unlocks. Besides maybe AGES, everything should be unlockable on normal IMO.

ShadiWulf

Random question

does anyone know if the game will be on US PSN this Tuesday? I think i'd rather buy the game digitally if it is going to be.

Mesoian

This is the first and only non-fighting game to ever make my fingers hurt.

Random question

does anyone know if the game will be on US PSN this Tuesday? I think i'd rather buy the game digitally if it is going to be.

It's up there now, isn't it?

Edit: OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH MY GOD, I just heard Ages's damage sound for the first time!

Now that is something special.

Ugh, Traffic Attack sucks and I never want to do them again.
They are the worst. I'm going through World Tour on hard at the moment, I'm probably up to the last Traffic Attack and it is an absolute bitch. Sure, it's theoretically possible to do it via skill, but for me, it's more likely to come down to whether I get the right pickups (read: Super Glove) or not. Ugh. I can't imagine expert... The blue cars and their weird homing movement trip me up so often.

Tizoc

They are the worst. I'm going through World Tour on hard at the moment, I'm probably up to the last Traffic Attack and it is an absolute bitch. Sure, it's theoretically possible to do it via skill, but for me, it's more likely to come down to whether I get the right pickups (read: Super Glove) or not. Ugh. I can't imagine expert... The blue cars and their weird homing movement trip me up so often.

The best way to avoid Blue Cars is to not approach them. This may not make much sense, but from what I played as long as I keep my distance from them they won't hit you.

Just beat the first cup on the 360 and while I'm pleased with the game as a whole, the framerate can get messy. It runs at a max of 30 but is typically sub 30. No Live Gold as of recent, so sadly, no online. Can't wait to check it out eventually, though!

Back to driftin'!

B-Dex

Hey Tizoc I smoked some of your times.

and SOL

BUG REPORT:

- Unlocked Nights stage (M) after doing the ring race and the picture it showed was Adder's Lair.

and my PS3 has locked up completely twice now.

First time - Lap 2 Race of Ages playing as Amigo just launched a Drone and got an Allstar. Was right near the end of the boat section. (forgot which mod I was using probably speed)

Second time - Won an online race. Voting ended. Got disconnected. The vote was for Temple Trouble but my game said the Shinobi track name and then hard locked my PS3 at the cloud screen.

Rainy Dog

Really tempted to shoot out and pick this up this weekend. Loved the first one and this looks even more terrific.

Does anyone know if any UK supermarkets are selling this instore for under £25?

Tizoc

Hey Tizoc I smoked some of your times.
Coolios~ I suck at time attacks TBH, the Expert diff. trials are gonna be the death of me.

and SOL

BUG REPORT:

- Unlocked Nights stage (M) after doing the ring race and the picture it showed was Adder's Lair.

and my PS3 has locked up completely twice now.

First time - Lap 2 Race of Ages playing as Amigo just launched a Drone and got an Allstar. Was right near the end of the boat section. (forgot which mod I was using probably speed)

Second time - Won an online race. Voting ended. Got disconnected. The vote was for Temple Trouble but my game said the Shinobi track name and then hard locked my PS3 at the cloud screen.

Just to add, I was playing online and suddenly the track disappeared and I couldn't get back on to continue the race, had to quit and enter again. Hopefully this won't happen again but these are some things to look into.

SegaManAU

Gold Member
I've also had a bug where after a race my controller just kept vibrating & wouldn't stop.

Not an issue those as I just put the controller on my balls for the next 5 minutes. =)

Burning Justice

the superior princess
I once ran into a bug in Adder's Lair where, after my All-Star move ended just as I was passing through a transform gate, the game spawned me as a boat in the plane section. I just kept on falling through the course, respawning in midair as a boat, and falling through the course again over and over. Ended up being forced to restart. Thankfully this happened offline.

I've also had a bug where after a race my controller just kept vibrating & wouldn't stop.
I've had this happen twice. It corrects itself when you get to a point where the controller is supposed to vibrate.

Superfrog

Fantastic game, far better than the first one IMO. Track design is great, as is the AI/overall difficulty (it's already quite challenging on Medium) and the drifting. I also actually like the weapons and their variations. And no need to mention the amazing fan service.

Graphics (on 360) are a mixed bag - while I appreciate the constant frame rate and the locked v-sync (the tearing and the slowdowns were a major letdown in the first game on 360 for me), the sub-HD resolution, the aliasing and the washed-out colors are a little disappointing considering we're in the last software generation of this hardware cycle. Are there already any comparisons on the version differences? Haven't downloaded the PS3 demo yet.

Superfrog

I think you're confusing what I said. It was locked in the first game. It doesnt appear to be locked in the new one, which is unfortunate.
It wasn't locked in the first game, at least not on 360 (frame rate in the PS3 version was a little better, if I remember correctly). Also, there was a shitload of tearing post-patch, which destroyed the game for me.

Seijuro

I love the new game, but I think they should have kept the unlocking system from the last one. Maybe aim a little higher with the prices for each character to keep players hooked. the old system was rewarding persistent players, not only the highly skilled.

I fear for this game's online lifespan if players who aren't that great at the game feel they get cheated out of half the content in what should be a casual game. Some if the stars required for the last few characters are way too high (160 for the last one I think?). I'm at Stage 5 of World Tour now and have just managed to unlock
Pudding

maybe I'm just frustrated that I didn't manage to unlock Gum on my first day with the game :D

Not an issue those as I just put the controller on my balls for the next 5 minutes. =)
I had this happen with the Xbox Demo. I was able to take the battery out of the remote and it stopped.

I really hope this game sells well for Sumo, they seem like one of the last bastions of good racing games now! Been playing for a few hours and I'm loving it, though it might be a bit hardcore for casual local multiplayer sessions.

It wasn't locked in the first game, at least not on 360 (frame rate in the PS3 version was a little better, if I remember correctly). Also, there was a shitload of tearing post-patch, which destroyed the game for me.

It was locked in that it wouldnt ever go above 30. It rarely if ever dropped dramatically on 360 or PS3 after the patch.

I'm so torn as to which version of this game to get. Which one will have the most active multiplayer? Should I get the Wii U version for the added features/just to have a game to play with my pre-ordered Wii U? Technically, are all the versions the same? fnjskgnjkf

No analog triggers on the Wii U version has turned me off possibly getting that version. The shitty framerate of the 360 demo turned me off that version. If I can get a 199 PS3 with UC1/2 + inFamous 1/2 bundle next week, I'll try the demo on PS3. The first game was one of the rare multiplats that was better on the PS3.

I've unlocked Eggman, joyous day!
It was beating all the cups by the way in case anyone was wondering.

I'm still thinking that the Nights track is a pile of poop, I was using Aiai and it felt damn near impossible to catch up because of the racers with a higher top speed, I was hitting every ring but barely closing the gap, the brief water section was the only point when I could make some progress and the warp point and plane transformation areas occasionally seemed to fling me into the wall like i'd lost control.
I'd say the third cup is the weakest on the whole, the last two tracks are good fun but even then Sky Sanctuary I feel is far more enjoyable on the second lap when the plane buggers off for a bit.

Unlocking the expert difficulty applies to the world tour as well it would seem so now there's even harder challenges and even more stars, don't think i'm aiming for that 100%
On that point i'm loving the stickers/small scale trophies, there the sort of thing you just end up doing in a race and feeling pretty chuffed about.

Sometimes the AI on s class is so obviously cheating, first place fell off the track and spawned near me, we were neck and neck to the straight so I drift boost, as I am about to pass he suddenly shoots off without any boost flames or anything to win.

Obvious cheating and rubber banding in effect, such bull.

Feel free to watch me suffer on twitch.

Oh my bad. Messed up my reading skills because of a reply later on. Anyways, the framerate issue reminds me of Diddy Kong Racing in some ways. The game was a little off putting at first because of it (especially after being used to Mario Kart 64), but once you passed that initial stage you realized how good the gameplay was. I'm hoping this game will give me the same feeling.

Tizoc

Yeah the difficulty could use a little trimming, it's fine if the AI utilizes drifting and such, but some of the stuff it does is plain BS.

Top Bottom