• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed |OT| Everybody's Super Sonic Racing

Heck, why didn't they think about Yakuza characters in the game? XD
That would work as well.

You know for all the comments about how using Ristar would be a bad choice because the back of his head isn't much to look at or something like that it seems pretty odd an argument considering there's a faceless football manager roaming around the games files.

Can you tell me if there are different control options then just the triggers?

You can switch the brake and gas to L1/R1 instead of the default L2/R2, but that's it.

Anyway, I just played the demo for a bit. Pretty awesome. But, man, is it hard!

But it looks, sounds, and controls great! A lot of fun.

I've heard some complaints about blurry/soft image, but it looks pretty nice and clear on my HDTV. Looks fantastic. I also had no issues with the controls at all. Everything seems damn good to me.

I played the race on hard, and came in 4th. Hah. I also haven't been able to beat the boost challenge, which I started on hard, but then moved down to medium. I made it a lot farther after I turned the difficulty, but I still keep losing.

Overall, the demo seems a lot better to me than the first game. Gonna keep playing it for a little bit.

Can't wait to pick up the Wii U version.

Skyzard

Banned
Drifting till your cart glows and you have a boost helps with the speed boost level - it pauses the countdown when you boost from just drifting too. Don't forget you have 3 boosts to use too. Quite tough though yep.

Really enjoying it, have no issues in any type of racing so far.

Drifting till your cart glows and you have a boost helps with the speed boost level - it pauses the countdown when you boost from just drifting too. Don't forget you have 3 boosts to use too. Quite tough though yep.

I managed to beat it a moment ago on medium, right after I posted. Man, that was kinda tricky. I think it was my...fourth or so try on medium that I got it. Heh.

Damn fun game. I also just came in 1st on medium in the race. Gonna try both again on hard in a moment.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
All the Target stores in my area show the game as in stock. Going to go see if I can pick up the 360 version.

360 demo definitely not running at 30 FPS. Seems to be noticeably lower than the first game. Disappointing given how important a steady and high framerate is for racing games.

Tizoc

Just unlocked Joe, his vehicle is friggin' cool, a shame they didn't give him his surfboard for the water stages =/
I also got the Trophy for completing Vyse's stage in Time Attack mode in less than 1:11 @3@.

Quick question since i'm sitting in the world tour mode right now, when do you unlock Joe? I might be close, currently in sanctuary speedway having just unlocked Vyse.

360 demo definitely not running at 30 FPS. Seems to be noticeably lower than the first game. Disappointing given how important a steady and high framerate is for racing games.

This is the thing that's holding me back from grabbing it right now. I'd like to grab the PC revision but it'll be out when other titles take precedence. I wish the Vita version was out now. :B

Skyzard

Banned
Demo on PS3 feels like about 30 most of the time (decently smooth), perhaps slightly less occasionally but not by much (less than 5 fps) from the looks of things and plays great.

I managed to beat it a moment ago on medium, right after I posted. Man, that was kinda tricky. I think it was my...fourth or so try on medium that I got it. Heh.

Damn fun game. I also just came in 1st on medium in the race. Gonna try both again on hard in a moment.

Approximately the same (difficulty with number of attempts) for me, quite a tough little karter! Will help deliver a lasting challenge thankfully. The demo does feel slightly rough around the edges with the animation or something hard to describe... The drifting is great fun as well but a bit weird at first how the car just rotates 90 degrees almost instantly but carries on moving forward.

Regardless, I can clearly see there's a lot of fun to be had with this, looking forward to some vita footage.

BTW is the speed in the demo the max speed of the game? Like is there a 50cc 100cc 150cc type of thing as well as the Easy Medium and Hard which was in the demo. It's not too slow or anything, just curious (maybe a tad too slow :p in sonic's car - only vehicle available in the demo afaik).

Berordn

Most of the non-Race challenges are beat-able on Medium and Hard. The ring races are quite challenging on Hard, and I've enjoyed the Panzer Dragoon one a lot for some reason XP

The Ring Races are great, and the Skies of Arcadia one is where flight finally clicked for me. The game's excellent, now that I've gotten used to just about everything (though boats still feel a little weird, but I'm not sure what to expect there to begin with).

It does feel like there's a good deal of rubber banding in play, but maybe it's just the characters I've been playing having terrible top speed.

BTW is the speed in the demo the max speed of the game? Like is there a 50cc 100cc 150cc type of thing as well as the Easy Medium and Hard which was in the demo. It's not too slow or anything, just curious (maybe a tad too slow :p in sonic's car - only vehicle available in the demo afaik).

From what I've read, the game gets faster with the higher difficulty levels, Hard (A Class) being the fastest.

Skyzard

Banned
From what I've read, the game gets faster with the higher difficulty levels, hard being the fastest.

Awesome, thanks! Couldn't quite tell from the few rounds I had.

Hopefully this does reasonably well this holiday. Console magic is back thanks to another karter.

TimmiT

I actually miss the old announcer :(
The new one is kinda robotic and lifeless.

I thought that this announcer is the same one but with a robotic effect added to his voice.

Speaking of the announcer, go to the options menu and turn the voice volume down and up, a funny little easter egg happens when you do that.

Berordn

I actually miss the old announcer :(
The new one is kinda robotic and lifeless.

For sure. The original one had life to him, even if he ran out of new things to say quickly, and he didn't play well with DLC. I get why they replaced him with this new one, especially if they plan on adding more through DLC.

DonMigs85

I thought that this announcer is the same one but with a robotic effect added to his voice.

Speaking of the announcer, go to the options menu and turn the voice volume down and up, a funny little easter egg happens when you do that.

LOL!
Kinda reminds me of the voice in Super Monkey Ball 2 now.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
The Target near me had a spot for the game, but no copies available. They checked the SKU and said there were none in the back.

But the closest Toys R Us had tons of copies for 360 and PS3 in stock. Picked up the 360 version...if you're in the Atlanta area, the Buckhead TRU has it.

I tied the demo and the car aspect is way better than last time. I wish they had just stuck to that. However, the boat racing isn't bad at all and has a Hydro Thunder feel to it. I just feel like the flying is a letdown.

I remember freaky flyers and it had no sense of speed which killed it. I see they avoided that pitfall here as it feels faster but things don't feel competitive in the sky. I just feel like I'm floating around waiting for the racing bit to start up again.

So GT was doing a live stream where they were showing various Wii U features and games. They had an ASRT Wii U box sitting out in plain view.

They asked the chat for any more questions or game requests, mentioned people wanted to see ASRT... and then just moved on to mock people for pointing out how wrong they were about the discs, then end the stream.

They didn't even say the game was embargoed or anything. They just got done showing the crappy Madden port, so they weren't beyond showing 3rd party games.

So GT was doing a live stream where they were showing various Wii U features and games. They had an ASRT Wii U box sitting out in plain view.

They asked the chat for any more questions or game requests, mentioned people wanted to see ASRT... and then just moved on to mock people for pointing out how wrong they were about the discs, then end the stream.

They didn't even say the game was embargoed or anything. They just got done showing the crappy Madden port, so they weren't beyond showing 3rd party games.

I used to like GT so much, how they have changed.

Bgamer90

Banned
Game is decent but I think I like the predecessor more.

Too soon to say though.

Also, is this game 30 FPS? I haven't played the predecessor in a while but the demo feels like it doesn't have the same sense of speed.

DonMigs85

Too soon to say though.

Also, is this game 30 FPS? I haven't played the predecessor in a while but the demo feels like it doesn't have the same sense of speed.

The first game was originally 60FPS at least on PS3 but it wasn't stable. They eventually released a patch that locked it at 30.

Too soon to say though.

Locked on PS3 and 360 pretty much at 30 all the time on the original. The demo on XBL of the new game is most definitely not hitting 30 very often.

ShadiWulf

some tips for anyone having trouble with the game, this applies to any difficulty mode

- if you keep crashing into things and are having trouble controlling your character, switch to a vehicle or vehicle mod that has more control/handling rather then speed, you'll go slower, but you'll probably be going faster overall by not crashing into things and having better control, then once you get better you can use more speedy vehicles/mods.

- don't play this like the old game, you can't just drift your way to the finish line. Be smart about where you drift to gain your boosts and be really careful to not hit walls, that kills your speed greatly! That's why I'm saying if your crashing into walls to use a vehicle/mod that has better handling.

- When flying, the lower you are flying, the faster you go. You can also use the right control stick to barrel roll out of the way of things that might be in your way, and sometimes doing that gets you a bonus boost for avoiding a hazard

edit: oh, and do tricks off ledges and water waves, good way to get boost.

edit 2: oh and feathering the gas helps a lot when your going fast and drifting!

Mesoian

Yo Sumo guys, if you're still reading this thread, Giantbomb never got a copy of this game for WiiU and they're having their big crazy WiiU launch day extravaganza stream on Sunday. YOU SHOULD REALLY DO SOMETHING ABOUT THAT!

Top Bottom