• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed |OT| Everybody's Super Sonic Racing

Vita review

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/12/17/sonic-all-stars-racing-transformed-vita-review

As for the Vita version, though, it's not what it could have been. Sega’s vibrant colours on that screen: it should be a match made in heaven. And yet we find ourselves a little disappointed with Transformed on Sony’s portable. Sure, those skies have rarely looked bluer, but otherwise Sumo’s racer has had quite the visual downgrade. Put it this way: we’d be surprised if the 3DS version looks much worse when that finally arrives, and running next to Mario Kart 7, it’s clearly the uglier game of the two. It’s not like something approaching console quality can’t be done – just look at Sega’s own Virtua Tennis 4: World Tour Edition for proof of that – but the flat textures and rough edges make it clear this port was outsourced. Poor old Wreck-It Ralph looks like he’s had a close encounter with a blowfish even before a race begins.

1-D_FTW

yes it stuters on pc too, can run new games on ultra but this...no sir

What are you talking about? Do you have a review copy or something? There isn't even a release date for the PC version yet.

EDIT: And are you using AMD? Hoping so, because these games have tradionally been able to run in reduced voltage mode on Nvidia cards (they're so undemanding). So I'm hoping it's just some driver issue.

2nd EDIT:

namely for me the skies of arcadia lvl it was actually hurting my eyes.
Though I have a few other gripes with the game, namely hit detection and enemy AI, rubberbanding is atrocious, and why can enemies bounce me around but when I bump them they just go faster or items I hit I dont pickup but another enemy will suction cup it to them when they ride by, essentially taking 2 or more powerups.

Wait. So two people are claiming to be playing the PC version? What's going on here?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
but otherwise Sumo’s racer has had quite the visual downgrade. Put it this way: we’d be surprised if the 3DS version looks much worse when that finally arrives, and running next to Mario Kart 7, it’s clearly the uglier game of the two.

MK look better? ouch.

It’s not as if this visual downgrading has any noticeable improvement on performance, either. Quite the contrary, in fact: we noticed more frame-rate hits on the Vita version of Transformed than any of the console versions

Very bad.

Guess I wont buy it.

I have no idea what IGN is talking about. I think this is the best the game looks (outside of PC) - the textures and some of the background models, especially on the Afterburner stage, aren't as good as consoles, but it has the vibrancy and sharpness that I thought the Wii U version lacked. Nothing looks blurry - looks super sharp at native res on Vita.

I've noticed 3 frame rate hitches in the 3 hours of played it, but it seems to run at a solid 30fps. Sumo did some insane work on this port.

EDIT: going back and forth, the lighting isn't as good either, but I still think it's one of the better looking Vita games available.

Bought the WiiU version a few days ago based on all the positive impressions and man, it's great! I like it even more than I expected to- it's got that x- factor that makes it addictive.

shink

I have no idea what IGN is talking about. I think this is the best the game looks (outside of PC) - the textures and some of the background models, especially on the Afterburner stage, aren't as good as consoles, but it has the vibrancy and sharpness that I thought the Wii U version lacked. Nothing looks blurry - looks super sharp at native res on Vita.

I've noticed 3 frame rate hitches in the 3 hours of played it, but it seems to run at a solid 30fps. Sumo did some insane work on this port.

EDIT: going back and forth, the lighting isn't as good either, but I still think it's one of the better looking Vita games available.

I'm deciding between the PS3 and Vita with the portability being the only thing stopping me from buying the PS3 version.

As for the Vita version, though, it's not what it could have been. Sega’s vibrant colours on that screen: it should be a match made in heaven. And yet we find ourselves a little disappointed with Transformed on Sony’s portable. Sure, those skies have rarely looked bluer, but otherwise Sumo’s racer has had quite the visual downgrade. Put it this way: we’d be surprised if the 3DS version looks much worse when that finally arrives, and running next to Mario Kart 7, it’s clearly the uglier game of the two. It’s not like something approaching console quality can’t be done – just look at Sega’s own Virtua Tennis 4: World Tour Edition for proof of that – but the flat textures and rough edges make it clear this port was outsourced. Poor old Wreck-It Ralph looks like he’s had a close encounter with a blowfish even before a race begins.

Lol. Wtf is IGN talking about? This is one of the best looking games on Vita. Sure there is a visual downgrade, but it's not like Most Wanted. It looks vibrant and sharp and it's a blast to play on Vita. I own the game for almost a week now and having a helluva time with this game.Comparing a race game with a sports game like tennis ( which doesn't involve as much action and quite a few static screens ) is fubar. There is some minor slowdown ( water sections ) but nothing gamebreaking. It's a fantastic game!

Tizoc

Will be buying the PSN Vita ver. by the end of December, since I wanna focus on the sale going on ATM @_@.

Has anyone confirmed whether the PS3 DLC works with the Vita ver.?

test_account

XP-39C²
Has anyone put together a guide with some detailed racing advice for each stage? I'm really not that bad at this game, but I'm having a tough time finishing in first place on hard mode. I'm usually in 2nd or 3rd.

I want to max out more stars, but I'm getting a bit stuck.
There isnt much use to play it on hard to begin with. Once you beat the game
you will unlock Expert Mode, which has 4 stars. So if you want to max out all stars, you have to beat all stages over again anyway.

Lol. Wtf is IGN talking about? This is one of the best looking games on Vita. Sure there is a visual downgrade, but it's not like Most Wanted. It looks vibrant and sharp and it's a blast to play on Vita. I own the game for almost a week now and having a helluva time with this game.Comparing a race game with a sports game like tennis ( which doesn't involve as much action and quite a few static screens ) is fubar. There is some minor slowdown ( water sections ) but nothing gamebreaking. It's a fantastic game!
I fully agree. I've only played the Vita version, so i cant compare it directly to the console versions, but i think the Vita version looks great. The imagine quality in the Vita version is also really good. I dont know why IGN think it will look just as good as the console versions based on the Vita specs. As you mention, a tennis game isnt really a good benchmark for this (funnily enough, i actually received Virtual Tennis 4 Vita in the mail today hehe). But at least the IGN reviewer gave it a 7/10, so i guess he enjoys the game overall. He also gave the game a plus for "beautiful looks".

I bought the Vita version about a week ago and i've played it every day. I'm also having a great time with it. There are some slowdowns indeed, but nothing that affects the overall gameplay in my opinion.

I fully agree. I've only played the Vita version, so i cant compare it directly to the console versions, but i think the Vita version looks great. The imagine quality in the Vita version is also really good. I dont know why IGN think it will look just as good as the console versions based on the Vita specs. As you mention, a tennis game isnt really a good benchmark for this (funnily enough, i actually received Virtual Tennis 4 Vita in the mail today hehe).

I bought the Vita version about a week ago and i've played it every day. I'm also having a great time with it. There are some slowdowns indeed, but nothing that affects the overall gameplay in my opinion.

Same here. I usually don't comment on reviews but the IGN review left me dumbstruck. Great game and for me personally...perfect for handheldgaming

Heh I'll be getting it off US PSN for $30, I know that's the retail price, but IMO it's worth it for this game to me =)
Now I just want the digital ver. of Anarchy Reigns to be confirmed already @X@

It's worth the price imo... enjoy :D

Tizoc

aaaand bought! on wiiu eshop. dat 5 player modem off tv play and eshop discount.

it's all your fault GAF!

Have fun mate, it'd be a great game to play with family get togethers.

Speaking of which, gonna try and convince my other brothers to play some games with me by next week now that I have 4 PS3 controllers~

NeoRausch

while the game is downloading and installing: is it true that a patch was release which fixed almost all of the major problems of this game?

Smilax

while the game is downloading and installing: is it true that a patch was release which fixed almost all of the major problems of this game?

Yes, the patch has been released for the Wii U and fixed the majority of the major problems.

NeoRausch

Yes, the patch has been released for the Wii U and fixed the majority of the major problems.

huh, well watta you know! perfect timing. can't wait for the patching after the download and install! :3

thanks for the response!

if anyone wants to add me my NNID is in my bio.
ah, what the hell. my NNID is NeoRausch. not to sound arrogant but i'll only add people that include their GAF name within the friend request.

see ya!

There's been videos of the game running for like two weeks now- no way Mario Kart 3DS looks better. It looks like a great port to me.

Will find out today.

http://www.tssznews.com/2012/12/05/asr-transformed-quietly-races-onto-playstation-vita/

Click for full aliased glory:

shno8.jpg

9wJU9.jpg

3Fbpl.jpg

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm torn whether to buy this game for 360 or Wii U.. Any one have advice to sway me?

NeoRausch

ummm... is it correct that metal sonic is allready unlocked and fully upgraded for me? little red crown icon and all. what's that?

game is preeeeety sweet though!

dat after burner soundtrack! flashback after flashback.

Smilax

Well...that explains why I'm doing unusually bad today...
You won first though! Good job! :D

I'm torn whether to buy this game for 360 or Wii U.. Any one have advice to sway me?
I believe 360 has a less glitchy online experince, and the Wii U has the off T.V. Play. That's all I know lol.
ummm... is it correct that metal sonic is allready unlocked and fully upgraded for me? little red crown icon and all. what's that?

game is preeeeety sweet though!

dat after burner soundtrack! flashback after flashback.

Yes, he is a DLC character, you also got a stage!

Like Smilax said, the 360 version is much more stable online. You're less bound to encounter glitches, disconnects and the stuff that can drive you mad. Sadly the bumper cars aspect seems to be the same all across the board with all versions.

Wii U version is very pretty and does have that off TV capability but if you like playing online, go for the more stable version. And there is the potential for more users on the 360...

Wii U exclusive features include the map and weapon picture-in-picture on the pad screen (if you ever feel you can take your eyes off the screen), off-TV play, motion controlled racing treating the pad like a steering wheel, exclusive multiplayer modes, and 5 player local split screen.

Room is back up. Got a network error. Doh! lol
I really don't think that it's the game, I think the system is having issues with different brands of network hubs or something. I own a Buffalo router and (Nintendo usually partners with them) and I haven't been having a lot of the strange problems others have been experiencing.

If I were home I'd host but I'm on a two week vacation and the WiiU was not invited along for the trip :(

Holy crap. I recently got this game and have been playing it for roughly three hours. It's really good. Might be the best kart racer I've ever played. It does so many things right and so little wrong (from what I've seen so far). The items are brilliant, the modes are varied, the gameplay is fun, the levels are genius and the game is far more challenging than any other kart racer. I barely own any SEGA games other than a few Sonic games so I don't really know anyone in the cast, but that's all fine. I also like how on some levels there are plenty of optional routes, and sometimes you can even choose between driving on land and in water -- something that I expected from Mario Kart 7 but got here instead.

Smilax

I really don't think that it's the game, I think the system is having issues with different brands of network hubs or something. I own a Buffalo router and (Nintendo usually partners with them) and I haven't been having a lot of the strange problems others have been experiencing.

If I were home I'd host but I'm on a two week vacation and the WiiU was not invited along for the trip :(

Actually, the network issue was my fault, I was loading an video... which is strange, but that is what I think caused it.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Something went very wrong on that last race. When I crossed the finish line it reverted to "Lap 2" and I got the 30 second countdown until I got a Time Over.

Top Bottom