• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed |OT| Everybody's Super Sonic Racing

The more I play the more the S class AI cheats like fuck, I can have a level 3 boost off another turbo pad and the cpu cruise past me with rubber banding, every single time.

Because of stuff like this you might as well not boost as you race offline, it does squat.

Cleared out all but the Races, I can see the end of the world tour, and I'm sitting at 208 stars. Think I'm going to take a break and then get the rest of the stars the next time I have some friends over, as Races actually work pretty great for multiplayer.

Also, I learned today that using an All-Star in the beginning part of the Race of Ages track is a big mistake. Thought I would glide over the gaps in the track, but instead I just kind of got trapped flying off the course non-stop until it ran out. Whoops!

too many courses suck with all star flying, the moment you leave the ground (as a plane non less!) it resets you, too often a normal jump will reset you while using all star moves because you go too high or too far away from it's limits of the track.

There are too any rough edges in this game and really it should have had another months dev time on it or something.

Shaneus

Oh, I've given up all hope of it coming out in the next few weeks (why they'd want to *avoid* Christmas, I'll never know) but no-one seems to know if it'll be early Jan or even later in the year. If I'd known it was going to be this long, in all honesty I probably would've double dipped on a console version as well.

Their loss, I guess.

Edit: I didn't notice it in this thread, but I haven't exactly been keeping up with what's going on in here... but the (important) results of S0L's DLC poll, if anyone was interested:

Final results as of December 1st, 5:20Pm, East Coast Time.

-Ryo Hazuki: 3379
-Hatsune Miku: 3180
-Segata Sanshiro: 2613
then it's almost another thousand to Vectorman in fourth.

I really hope they can find a way to put Segata in there. Could be epic.

Also, Virtua Racing-themed track DLC with flat-shaded polygons pls.

Shaneus

Well, S0L mentioned top three. We've already had Ryo, give us Segata!
o3Lax.jpg

Smilax

He should be the easiest to put in the game, since he was in the last one. Unless they decide to change him up a bit.

The other two... is going to be pretty interesting. Also, I want Billy Hatcher as well. D:

I would love to see sumo make a Nintendo all stars racing. I love Mario kart but I would love to see other franchises like metroid, Zelda and pikmin thrown into the mix.

blitz64

Does license matter when racing online on Wii U? I'm currently only rank B license.
When I go online, is everyone racing on the same speed or do people with rank A have a better advantage?

Does license matter when racing online on Wii U? I'm currently only rank B license.
When I go online, is everyone racing on the same speed or do people with rank A have a better advantage?

The only real advantage is more experience. The rank doesn't mean much, it just says you've cleared stuff and leveled up characters more. Leveling up characters only seems to unlock more mods, which just move points from one skill to another.

Tizoc

The Rank C, B and A are difficulty levels, C being Easy, B being Medium, and A being slightly unfair.
EDIT: Unless that's a feature unique to the WiiU?

Tizoc

He means the driver's license, not the difficulty. Hah.

Ooooooooooh now I remember haha. I'm stuck on A-license I think, completely forgot about it since in the first game you got them as you collected SEGA Miles, I have no idea how you get higher licenses in this game @_@.

Ooooooooooh now I remember haha. I'm stuck on A-license I think, completely forgot about it since in the first game you got them as you collected SEGA Miles, I have no idea how you get higher licenses in this game @_@.

I'm at S-Rank right now. All I've done is beat stuff in World Tour and level up a few characters, so I'm guessing it goes higher from doing that stuff. I think I'm at only around, like...122-126 stars right now.

Bluth54

they'd prob want to keep Nintendo characters just for Mario kart I assume.

I think it would be a pretty good trade to let Sega put Mario in this game and then Nintendo can put Sonic in the next Mario Kart game. We've already seen that sort of relationship with Nintendo and Sega with the Olympic games and Super Smash Brothers Brawl.

Mistle

I would love to see sumo make a Nintendo all stars racing. I love Mario kart but I would love to see other franchises like metroid, Zelda and pikmin thrown into the mix.
I've always wished Mario Kart was moreso Nintendo All-Stars, it'd be great imo. Not only for characters but for levels!

ajim

I think it would be a pretty good trade to let Sega put Mario in this game and then Nintendo can put Sonic in the next Mario Kart game. We've already seen that sort of relationship with Nintendo and Sega with the Olympic games and Super Smash Brothers Brawl.

Would be awesome, I agree. However, Nintendo don't have a dedicated Olympics game like they do a cart racing game like Mario Kart. They'd probably think if people started seeing Mario on the box of Sonic All Star Racing that it would be a detractor from their MK franchise.

Would be good tho.

On a sidenote - any idea when they'll be releasing the DLC characters like Ryo and what not?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Framerate wise it stacks up well, it looks really great but the online for the 360 is much better.

Why is it so, just because there are more users? Because seeing that Sonic usually does best on Nintendo-consoles, I wouldn't be surprised if in the long term the Wii U version will be the one played online predominantly.

It runs much better. I don't remember the 360 version having so many disconnects for one. It was pretty stable. Another issue is the bugs and I encountered a lot more buggy races on the 360. Doesn't hurt that connections are smoother since more people will probably be playing wired as opposed to wireless.

Bugs as in getting placed backwards for no reason, falling through floors, losing control of the kart...I experienced all of those on one lap alone.

Zomba13

I've always wished Mario Kart was moreso Nintendo All-Stars, it'd be great imo. Not only for characters but for levels!

Nintendo really need to make a Super Smash Karts or soemthing. I find MK getting boring now, even MK7 which has transforming. It's always just Mario with the same weapons. Would be great to see it mixed up with Link and Samus and Olimar and a bunch of others. Could have cool weapons from each franchise and cool, unique tracks from each franchise. I just don't get why Nintendo do that. Seems like such a simple idea and everyone loves Smash Bros for bringing all the Nintendo franchises together.

Coxy

Oh, I've given up all hope of it coming out in the next few weeks (why they'd want to *avoid* Christmas, I'll never know) but no-one seems to know if it'll be early Jan or even later in the year. If I'd known it was going to be this long, in all honesty I probably would've double dipped on a console version as well.

Their loss, I guess.

Edit: I didn't notice it in this thread, but I haven't exactly been keeping up with what's going on in here... but the (important) results of S0L's DLC poll, if anyone was interested:

Final results as of December 1st, 5:20Pm, East Coast Time.

then it's almost another thousand to Vectorman in fourth.

I really hope they can find a way to put Segata in there. Could be epic.

Also, Virtua Racing-themed track DLC with flat-shaded polygons pls.

what were the rest of the results? since there was doubts expressed about licensing Miku and Segata they might have to go further down the list

shaowebb

Just got this for my birthday and I've been playing and I really like the way they pushed the item balance to support stronger racing. The horn was pretty abusable in the last game and you could drift pop it next to someone pretty easily to screw their whole run. Now you have to use that with the hot rod item that doubles as a timed boost. Ride the boost too long and face stalling. This adds some risk to it because you really will want to use that boost function and not just mash on the hot rod to turn it on and then blow it quick.

Plus the large projectiles are gone (bowling bomb roll thing). You have to be able to aim with the projectiles in this now a lot more than before. Blowfish gets big, but it still needs to be aimed or it will miss before it puffs up and continue on a ways before blowing up big.

The only raw deal is the swarm item that places huge multiple hazards on the road. Its probably there to promote switch drifting and twitch reflex driving to avoid it, but its super abusable. Good things its also super rare.

Well done Sumo. This game hits all the right balance points on weapons for the most part to promote racing.

Shaneus

what were the rest of the results? since there was doubts expressed about licensing Miku and Segata they might have to go further down the list

Somewhere on the official Sega forums. I believe the reason they took the top three to Sega was specifically because there may be issues with licensing, not because they were going to use all three for DLC.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Yayyyyy! Some marathon playing along with passing the controller back & forth has finally netted me Reala & Ages! 165 stars for life. Dun even care about the events locked behind that 200 star pay gate.

On another note why did Skies get stuck with some crappy original music? Ripping a song from the ost woulda been way better then the generic adventury-sounding music they plopped in there >.<

thomaser

Had my first online multiplayer session tonight against a friend, on the Wii U. Very good experience, better than expected. No bugs or glitches or skipping frames of any kind.

Surfheart

I just picked up this game for the Wii U. Fun game, but the framerate on some tracks is absolutely disgraceful which is suprising given how poor the visuals are.

Do the other versions have issues with performance too?

I picked up a copy last night (360 version) after giving a copy to my brother for his birthday. I've got a really bad eye infection but that hasn't stopped me from getting to the 4th circuit and getting 55 stars in so short a period of time.

My initial impressions:

I think the track design is solid although none seem to rise to the legendary status of the best tracks of the previous game. The previous game had some tracks that were crappy (house of the dead) and then had some of the downright best kart racing tracks I've ever encountered (Samba stages, Super Monkey Ball, Bill Hatcher tracks, etc). These tracks all seem to have the same design mindset in mind as if the designers just wanted one kind of track instead of a mix. Visually, however, they do the job and convey a sense of busyness that I find enjoyable.

I wish the game was a little sharper faraway. I also have a hard time seeing my snowballs as I shoot them. Apparently, I'm pretty good at long shotting my opponents even though I cant tell where exactly I am aiming or what is being shot.

If you screw up and end up in tenth place, don't expect items to bail you out to a large degree like in Mario kart. Expect to race your way back and even then it may not be enough. There isn't really an excellent come from behind item in this game although a few can be used as such. Also, rockets are not anywhere near as useful as shells in MK. Although not nearly as neutered as in the last game, expect only direct hits to make much of a difference.

More cutesy characters please. I didn't buy this game to see cool looking humans, I bought it for the pure mascot pleasure.

thefit

I just picked up this game for the Wii U. Fun game, but the framerate on some tracks is absolutely disgraceful which is suprising given how poor the visuals are.

Do the other versions have issues with performance too?

yes it stuters on pc too, can run new games on ultra but this...no sir

Got the Vita version early at Target, and it's great so far.

One issue: the bonus DLC code in the box is for the PS3 version. So...that could be a problem.

I apologize but did anyone ever confirm if the Vita version allowed you to switch/use the face buttons for throttle?

You can switch throttle to a face button, but the brake has to be a shoulder button.

yes it stuters on pc too, can run new games on ultra but this...no sir

namely for me the skies of arcadia lvl it was actually hurting my eyes.
Though I have a few other gripes with the game, namely hit detection and enemy AI, rubberbanding is atrocious, and why can enemies bounce me around but when I bump them they just go faster or items I hit I dont pickup but another enemy will suction cup it to them when they ride by, essentially taking 2 or more powerups.

Got the Vita version early at Target, and it's great so far.

One issue: the bonus DLC code in the box is for the PS3 version. So...that could be a problem.

You can switch throttle to a face button, but the brake has to be a shoulder button.

Well that works well enough. thanks man!

Tizoc

Anyone know if US is getting the digital ver. of Transformed Vita on PSN?

@DrAndonuts- Contact SEGA about it, maybe the code doesn't go live until US PSN updates later this week?

shaowebb

I just wish Opa Opa and Billy Hatcher were still playable. I only played them with the occassionally played Shadow just to laugh as he would go 'HRAAAAAAAA!" at everyone and everything.

Exxxxxxxxtreeeeeeeeeeeeeme!

Shinta

Banned
Has anyone put together a guide with some detailed racing advice for each stage? I'm really not that bad at this game, but I'm having a tough time finishing in first place on hard mode. I'm usually in 2nd or 3rd.

I want to max out more stars, but I'm getting a bit stuck.

Smilax

Has anyone put together a guide with some detailed racing advice for each stage? I'm really not that bad at this game, but I'm having a tough time finishing in first place on hard mode. I'm usually in 2nd or 3rd.

I want to max out more stars, but I'm getting a bit stuck.

I don't think so, not that I know of, however, I wouldn't mind answering some questions or helping you out a bit.

blitz64

How do you get a boost at the start of a race?

I know that press acceleration right after the #2 gives me a mini boost, sorta like mario kart.

It seems like is a better faster way to boost at the start.

Smilax

How do you get a boost at the start of a race?

I know that press acceleration right after the #2 gives me a mini boost, sorta like mario kart.

It seems like is a better faster way to boost at the start.

When the screen turns black, push the acceleration button.

I can't help you much when it's a rolling start though, as I can only get the level 2 boost.

Every time the screen turns black, push the button, and on the last one hold it.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Anyone know if US is getting the digital ver. of Transformed Vita on PSN?

Every US Vita game is and will be available on the US Vita store on the official release date,Sony forced that on all publishers.

Some games don't get a retail release,but they are all on PSN.

Top Bottom