• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed |OT| Everybody's Super Sonic Racing

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Holy crap. I recently got this game and have been playing it for roughly three hours. It's really good. Might be the best kart racer I've ever played. It does so many things right and so little wrong (from what I've seen so far). The items are brilliant, the modes are varied, the gameplay is fun, the levels are genius and the game is far more challenging than any other kart racer. I barely own any SEGA games other than a few Sonic games so I don't really know anyone in the cast, but that's all fine. I also like how on some levels there are plenty of optional routes, and sometimes you can even choose between driving on land and in water -- something that I expected from Mario Kart 7 but got here instead.
I feel the same way from the demo. First kart racer ive been excited about in a long time.

I believe 360 has a less glitchy online experince, and the Wii U has the off T.V. Play. That's all I know lol.

Like Smilax said, the 360 version is much more stable online. You're less bound to encounter glitches, disconnects and the stuff that can drive you mad. Sadly the bumper cars aspect seems to be the same all across the board with all versions.

Wii U version is very pretty and does have that off TV capability but if you like playing online, go for the more stable version. And there is the potential for more users on the 360...

Wii U exclusive features include the map and weapon picture-in-picture on the pad screen (if you ever feel you can take your eyes off the screen), off-TV play, motion controlled racing treating the pad like a steering wheel, exclusive multiplayer modes, and 5 player local split screen.
Thanks for the advice! I think I'll go 360.. I still treat the Xbox family like the Dreamcast successor anyway :)

Actually, the network issue was my fault, I was loading an video... which is strange, but that is what I think caused it.
Yeah, I hope they patch that, you can't use any OS features while the lobby is set up. It makes it really hard to meet up with friends unless you have another device handy.

huh, wait what? sooo that's the reason why miiverse throws errors at me while playing this game?
Yep, everytime I either host or join someone else's lobby any access to Miiverse or even just checking the OS friendlist kicks me offline :(

I can't imagine that is what Sumo intended.

J@hranimo

Banned
Outrun Bay is a really awesome track, but they really need to add it to the online tracks. Also I've been noticing more online activity on the 360. I guess more are picking the game up as it gets closer to the holiday season?

NeoRausch

the hell.....who....what is.... ????

fakeedit:

i just learned what a Danica Patrick is. why is she in ma game? is it because of racing and boobs?

1-D_FTW

What are you talking about? Do you have a review copy or something? There isn't even a release date for the PC version yet.

EDIT: And are you using AMD? Hoping so, because these games have tradionally been able to run in reduced voltage mode on Nvidia cards (they're so undemanding). So I'm hoping it's just some driver issue.

2nd EDIT:

Wait. So two people are claiming to be playing the PC version? What's going on here?

So I guess those were just made up troll posts? If people are going to hit and run without any follow up, I'm going to assume so.

Xander51

I'm bummed to read that the Vita version has some visual issues, might still pick it up because I'm weird like that.

EDIT: Watching some videos on youtube it doesn't look toooo terrible or all that compromised. And the 30 dollar price is tempting.

I'm bummed to read that the Vita version has some visual issues, might still pick it up because I'm weird like that.

EDIT: Watching some videos on youtube it doesn't look toooo terrible or all that compromised. And the 30 dollar price is tempting.
I'm enjoying it for what it is. Looks pretty great when actually in motion on the Vita screen, and I haven't encountered any real noticeable framerate hiccups yet.

EulaCapra

what class rating did you race in? they vary in speeds like CC in mario kart.
Heh? I'm pretty sure class ratings run on the same speeds the only difference being the CPU difficulty. If you check online leaderboards, the fastest times on tracks are all usually set to Easy CPU.

Heh? I'm pretty sure class ratings run on the same speeds the only difference being the CPU difficulty. If you check online leaderboards, the fastest times on tracks are all usually set to Easy CPU.

C class is super slow in the adventure mode stuff, not tried it in single race or cups.

Smilax

C class is super slow in the adventure mode stuff, not tried it in single race or cups.

There is a difference in speed when choosing different ranks.

Try running aOutrun Bay on C, it will take like 5-6 mins, and if you do it on S, it will be faster than that.

Roo

oh shit i'm baaaad! lol

i guess some mario kart DNA still irks me here. i'll give it some time.

I know right? I'm so used to Mario Kart's handling/mechanics and even physics this game is kicking my ass D:
I love it tho.

Played the demo on Wii U and didn't seem as fun as I'd hoped. Boats and planes felt sluggish to turn and the graphics seemed just OK.

To be honest, the tracks they picked for the demo are really boring compared to the rest
so maybe that's why and the graphics are really nice imo. Sumo Digital did a great job with this game

RobbieNick

i just learned what a Danica Patrick is. why is she in ma game? is it because of racing and boobs?

A.) Famous Nascar driver because she's the only female one.

B.) Go Daddy and Hot Wheels as advertisers on her car mean extra dollars for developing game.

Volcynika

GG guys. I'm uploading the archive of my stream and will also link to when Smilax's hopes of second place in the Afterburner race were ruined. RUINED. :D

Tizoc

PS3GAF, I don't know if I'll be able to hold a lobby in the next few days, new games coming out and all that (MUNCH!), but I will let you know if I can get some free time in. It'll be the usual hour 8/9 PM GMT.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag

There are some framerate issues here and there but the game is awesome on the Vita-- enough that it might just replace the console version for me.

EulaCapra

I joined in randomly hoping to get in a few minutes of play. Good games indeed Prinny and Smilax!

I hate you Smilax's friend who keeps winning with Vyse.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
There's been videos of the game running for like two weeks now- no way Mario Kart 3DS looks better. It looks like a great port to me.

Will find out today.
Having played it I could see how they could make that call.

The level of detail in Sonic is *MUCH* higher than Mario Kart and, of course, the resolution, textures, and shader usage are all well beyond it too...but Mario Kart 7 delivers a perfect 60 fps while Sonic Racing struggles to hold 30 fps. Though, from what I've seen, the other console versions also struggle a bit.

Native resolution shots of both...

Mario-Kart-7-Download-Screenshot-05.jpg

0jnsi.jpg

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Having played it I could see how they could make that call.

The level of detail in Sonic is *MUCH* higher than Mario Kart and, of course, the resolution, textures, and shader usage are all well beyond it too...but Mario Kart 7 delivers a perfect 60 fps while Sonic Racing struggles to hold 30 fps. Though, from what I've seen, the other console versions also struggle a bit.

Right...the framerate is not 60 FPS on the console versions either...and 60 FPS does not make Mario Kart 7 look better than Sonic. Performance is another story, but I much prefer Sonic to Mario Kart. Sonic Transformed is my favorite racer right now, period- forget kart racers, it's the best arcade racer this gen IMO.

Top Bottom