• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed |OT| Everybody's Super Sonic Racing

Mesoian

I mean, bottom line, if visual fidelity is what you're coming to this game for, get the PC version. That's sort of the cut and dry answer here.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm expecting a counter argument but I'm going to drop out of it since I don't see anything productive coming from arguing over opinions, but I will say this as the debate did make me think about it.

One thing which I'm happy SUMO touched up on a lot is track design, which is quite different from most kart racers but works really well here and shows the experience SEGA and the Blur team have in making a very SEGA arcade feel to things. The attention to detail in the stages I also can say is unmatched to any other kart racer I've seen. Little details that fans can appreciate are littered in the tracks, from nice little details in the House of the Dead course where various boss monsters from the series wreck-up the mansion and as each lap goes we watch Zombio & Zombia prepare and evnetually get married, or in the NiGHTS stage where you pass through the dream gates and enter into different nightmare areas, or how you watch the downfall of the Burning Rangers facility unfold similarly to how it does in the game, and even see the two main characters of the game take on different challenges around the arena. The stages morph and transform a lot, usually with different remixed music from these franchises to accompany it.

The roster isn't perfect, but how they handled the stages, characters, and the likes is just wonderful in my opinion, and I'm not evening delving into some of the more spoilery or specific details that the game goes into only fans of these series would pick up on.

DeVeAn

I am only upset with them dropping characters. I think it's a valid opinion when we get Danica Patrick over RYO HAZUKI. In fairness everyone has their characters they want and such. That woman is not even a SEGA character lol.

I'm playing on Xbox.

It looks like a circa-2007 Xbox 360 game. The lighting is flat, the game is almost assuredly sub-HD and the frame rate is awful. What makes it look worse, though, is the horrible motion blur. As I said before, it has a similar effect to Halo Reach which makes it look like ghosting more than blur. It's awful.

I really wish Sumo would have went the Codemasters route and developed this game around 60fps. F1 Race Stars looks and runs 10 times better than this.

I'm wondering if the Wii U version is going to look and perform any better.

Do you rate the first one higher?

Teknoman

Think im going to turn off the announcer. Everything else looks great, but I still think they should have gone all out with the power ups, Sega style, and not random stuff like a catchers mitt and a blowfish.

I'm sure there are items that span Sega's console life that could substitute for alot of this stuff, or just small adjustments like a blowfish badnik instead of an actual fish.

I'm expecting a counter argument but I'm going to drop out of it since I don't see anything productive coming from arguing over opinions, but I will say this as the debate did make me think about it.

I for one am interested in your opinion. Especially in how it compares to the first game, which I think is excellent (controls, visually, balance etc). If that's me having low standards, then pass me a Hot Pocket and a 5 dollar hooker.

Atolm

I have the PS3 version and to me it looks & runs fine. At the same level as the first game I'd say, but Transformed has more effects (water) and more complex track layouts.

Tizoc

Game looks sooooooooooooo good.
Also After Burner stage theme is friggin' awesome.
Karts feel...heavy than from the first game to me, but it's no biggy.
I got the Bonus edition which came with metal Sonic and Outrun Bay (US ver.), code worked, so if any USA-ers got it early the code should work for u too =D

MicH

The After Burner level is probably my favorite level of those I've seen. It looks AMAZING and the music is so good as well!

Kokonoe

Banned
Here Tizoc, I made a banner for the OT.

ibec45b5DHsFT9.gif

Here are some screenshots as well.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Wow I was paying zero attention to this game, after watching a few gameplay videos.... I want it, I need it.

ShadiWulf

http://www.twitch.tv/fiveleafclover

is doing a boost challenge on expert mode, keeps failing, but it's great to watch. Ugggh... 5 more days

Think im going to turn off the announcer. Everything else looks great, but I still think they should have gone all out with the power ups, Sega style, and not random stuff like a catchers mitt and a blowfish.

I'm sure there are items that span Sega's console life that could substitute for alot of this stuff, or just small adjustments like a blowfish badnik instead of an actual fish.

dude will make you feel guilty for turning him off

KrawlMan

Why would the Wii U version not have online?

It's 5 player local, 10 player online.

I believe the Wii U version does not have voice chat though.

Also, it seems like a lot of this thread wants to get the game on Wii U. I wonder if this game will have higher sales overall on Wii U than the other consoles despite the smaller userbase. It does look to appeal to the Mario Kart gamer (I know that's why I'm getting it)...

Dusk Golem

I for one am interested in your opinion. Especially in how it compares to the first game, which I think is excellent (controls, visually, balance etc). If that's me having low standards, then pass me a Hot Pocket and a 5 dollar hooker.

I liked the first game. It wasn't perfect, but it was a lot of fun and I thought was a pretty confident little racer. However, after playing Transformed I think it's going to be a lot harder going back to the first game. I wouldn't be saying this if I didn't think it, but they have literally improved almost everything in this game over the original.

The first big thing you'll notice is that the game handles a lot smoother now. It takes some time to get used to a few elements (especially drifting as it works much differently than previously and is a lot sharper), but all the cars have an appropriate weight to them. In the first game the cars felt a bit floaty, but that's not the case here. The driving feels quite solid. However, I must say one aspect I am impressed with is the boats. They did a great job in making the boats feel like... Well, boats. I was kind of afraid before playing that the boats would just feel like slippery cars or something, but they are handled well and the way that waves affect you adds a lot of strategy to these sequences as I find myself strategizing how to make waves to disrupt racers behind me or how to ride the waves ahead of me accordingly.

The tracks are much, MUCH better than the original game in every conceivable way. Firstly, how they're designed is much more fun, but more than that it sticks out that the tracks are not afraid to be inventive. They morph and shape out differently so that each lap is a different experience. From the Shinobi track changing seasons for each lap, to the Skies of Arcadia track getting under attack in the second lap and the third lap large chunks of the world missing, or to the Burning Rangers track where things get progressively more and more on fire and crumble as water levels rise and the place begins flooding... I could go on, but the way the tracks are designed matched with how they morph through the race is a lot of fun. And this isn't even getting into the attention to detail happening in the tracks, most tracks sort of have a 'story' to them that you can see playing out during the game that takes moments of the game that they are derived from. Others touch up on gameplay moments, such as the Starlight Carnival map eventually has Aero Chasers come onto the straight ways like they do in Colors and shoot lasers down the track, or the giant rides into the track and now it's a drive through the hull of the ship.

Music and sound is fantastic with some great attention to detail. Remixed tracks are awesome, and the character dialogue seems to have a lot more thought into it (helped most of the dialogue is actually newly recorded). One nice touch is how certain stages have character speech that will mean a lot to fans, like Professor K in the Jet Set Radio track, or Wizeman putting you down in a chaotic last nightmare sequence before the finish line in the NiGHTS tracks. While a shame to lose choosable tracks, I think it was a fair exchange for remixed tracks and tracks that change as the course changes.

The game has a lot of content, and the difficulties add a lot. The higher difficulty you are on isn't just for show, the higher difficulty levels are tough. But then the higher difficulty level you go on also makes the races faster, as each difficulty level up turns up the speed. Lots of missions in the campaign, lots of modes to explore, and as some will be happy to hear, a LOT more modes and customabilty online, including battle mode online finally. Also couch friends can hop with you online, which is a plus.

The way you can unlock mods for character by leveling them up RPG style is fun, and allows you to improve and decrease a trait of a character to your liking.

There's more, but I still need to play more to form a full opinion.

Game looks sooooooooooooo good.

I know! I was wondering what the hell the other guy was talking about when he started talking down on the games lighting and such. It's not the best-looking game ever, but it looks a lot prettier than the last game, and there's a lot of visual effects that I thought were impressive, with the added bonus that there's almost always something going on. It's really nice to see locations you're familiar with from games years old updated to the current gen.

Tizoc

Awesome stuff Kokonoe! Gonna add the banner for now as I am busy playing this game atm XP
I'll need to copy paste the images one by one but I'll do that later.

Teknoman

I believe the Wii U version does not have voice chat though.

Also, it seems like a lot of this thread wants to get the game on Wii U. I wonder if this game will have higher sales overall on Wii U than the other consoles despite the smaller userbase. It does look to appeal to the Mario Kart gamer (I know that's why I'm getting it)...

Same here. Big sega fan + nintendo fan + Newegg having a cheaper preorder (29.99) = purchase.

Has it been confirmed the WiiU version doesnt have voice chat though, because that just seems strange.

Is there any sort of story mode? I've been searching Google but I can't find anything, so I'm assuming no.

EDIT: Never mind, just found my answer.

Berordn

Same here. Big sega fan + nintendo fan + Newegg having a cheaper preorder (29.99) = purchase.

Has it been confirmed the WiiU version doesnt have voice chat though, because that just seems strange.

S0L said something along the lines of the current voice chat implementations which requires you to be plugged into the tablet, regardless of what controller you're using, and the game's natural local multiplayer inclinations had them exclude it from the Wii U version.

hope the Wii U version isnt a bad port. Hope it gets reviewed soon as I am holding off buying the 360 version and I want to play this game!

flattie

Just played through the first couple of tracks in career mode (PS3 version). I'm loving it so far. The Panzer Dragoon course was a 'Fuck My Tall Hat' moment. The soundtrack for it gave me goosebumps and I went round the whole circuit with a stupid great big grin on my face.

Framerate seems nice and stable so far, although to be fair I'm not sure I'd notice it dropping here and there anyway, you really get sucked in with everything that is going on.

It smells like GOTY material [for me], but we'll see if that holds up as we go further in.

Oh and I'm loving the flying/boat sections too. So far they seem to be more supplementary to the 'on the road' parts - not sure if that's just because it's a gentle introduction or if it's a continuous theme.

Either way, great start.

Kokonoe

Banned
I really wasn't wanting to get a console version after them saying how great the PC release is going to be, but since it's TBA 2012...I think I'm just going to have to get it on a console as well. Really want to play this game already.

Dusk Golem

Just played through the first couple of tracks in career mode (PS3 version). I'm loving it so far. The Panzer Dragoon course was a 'Fuck My Tall Hat' moment. The soundtrack for it gave me goosebumps and I went round the whole circuit with a stupid great big grin on my face.

Framerate seems nice and stable so far, although to be fair I'm not sure I'd notice it dropping here and there anyway, you really get sucked in with everything that is going on.

It smells like GOTY material [for me], but we'll see if that holds up as we go further in.

Oh and I'm loving the flying/boat sections too. So far they seem to be more supplementary to the 'on the road' parts - not sure if that's just because it's a gentle introduction or if it's a continuous theme.

Either way, great start.

You will do more driving than the other modes overall, but the other parts get a lot more exposure in the later tracks. There even are a couple of tracks with no driving sections, just all flying and boating.

Atolm

Ok so I've been playing like 2 hours or so.

We have Kart Game of the Forever material here. Everything has been improved a lot, much better tracks (the Golden Axe and Shinobi ones are great!), no powersliding abuse (it's there, but you can't go on powerlisding forever like in the first game), great handling for the Plane & Boat (that was my number #1 concern), remixes of classical themes (the main theme from Panzer Dragoon intro sent chills down my spine, seriously!).

Let's hope they don't rip us apart with the DLC...

jon_dojah

Banned
Ok now that I've been comparing some videos the 360 version might be a little choppier than ps3 while looking visually sharper. This is my oberservation from watching several youtubes of both console by different users and in either HD or not. PS3 looks a tad less vibrant but also doesn't have the subtle studder when panning left/right. This may be a rare situation when the ps3 version is better. Still the motion blur seems about the same on both but add choppiness on top

So I'm gonna head to TRU and grab a copy.

S0L

SUMO DIGITAL
So, generally we're liking it then? Nice to see some genuine impressions of people enjoying it at any rate.

We've been watching Q cumberR off the SEGA forums stream all day, I think he'd vouch for the unlockable All-Star difficulty being rather tough :p

Worth a watch, but of course, be warned, serious spoilers in that though.

Crunchy Jelly bloke, if it's 60FPS you want, you'll need the PC version. I really don't think we're circa 2007 visuals though. I think that might be a tad harsh!

---
S0L
---

Kokonoe

Banned
So, generally we're liking it then? Nice to see some genuine impressions of people enjoying it at any rate.

We've been watching Q cumberR off the SEGA forums stream all day, I think he'd vouch for the unlockable All-Star difficulty being rather tough :p

Worth a watch, but of course, be warned, serious spoilers in that though.

Crunchy Jelly bloke, if it's 60FPS you want, you'll need the PC version. I really don't think we're circa 2007 visuals though. I think that might be a tad harsh!

---
S0L
---

Excuse me, is the PC release TBA 2012? or TBA?

Top Bottom