• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic CD (Retro Engine) |OT| Where We're Going, We Don't Need Backbone

I generally thought Sonic CD was a slower paced platformer, to be honest. It was Plot Device: The Hunt: The Game.

Only time you went fast was when you wanted to travel to The Past (never the future, because it's pointless, unless you were trying to 'experience' everything to get your money's worth). Rest of the time you were either hunting for plot devices or going "oh fuck oh fuck I hit a Future post mustn't go too fast".

But seriously, both soundtracks have some quality compositions.

Metallic Madness Bad Future US in particular is brilliant for a final level imo.

US boss theme is good too.

Beyond that...yeah.

alf717

Sonic Boom should be untouched, Cosmic Eternity (You Can Do Anything) and Believe in Yourself, the Japanese Intro and Ending themes, had to have the lyrics muted however.

OK thanks of clearing that up. It threw me off when I read that lyrics were removed but it didn't occur to me that it would be from the JP soundtrack.

Teknoman

I generally thought Sonic CD was a slower paced platformer, to be honest. It was Plot Device: The Hunt: The Game.

Only time you went fast was when you wanted to travel to The Past (never the future, because it's pointless, unless you were trying to 'experience' everything to get your money's worth). Rest of the time you were either hunting for plot devices or going "oh fuck oh fuck I hit a Future post mustn't go too fast".

But seriously, both soundtracks have some quality compositions.

I think i'm going to try to play this the way I used to play Sonic games before I found out about true endings:

Just run through the stages normally, traveling between times as I go, then go back for a second perfect time stone run.

Tizoc

This is how you do a fucking port. Sonic 3 & Knuckles next, Sega. I don't care about that backbone psuedo-lock-on mess, I'll pay again to have it done right as a stand-alone..

Release S&3K, Knuckles in Sonic 2 and Blue Sphere in one package for something like 10 dollars, and I'll bite.
Give S&3K a 1000/Platinum if possible~

Tizoc

That's not really up to Sega, there are rules about how many achievement points (and I assume trophies) a downloadable title can have on XBLA and PSN.

Ah I suspected as much. S3&K can have around 30 trophies (I once wrote them down soemwhere) what with it being a somewhat big game

Vibri

Banned
Screw all this tip-toeing: the Japanese soundtrack is LEGENDARY. Gorgeous, utterly melodic, blue-sky happy electronica sent from a better time.

The game absolutely has to be played with Japanese soundtrack first. US soundtrack has its moments, but is a bonus. EU forget it. (edit - you're right, it was same as JP).

The remixes according to stage type are still fantastic:

Tidal Tempest:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpo3TmMnx3E

Tidal Tempest Good Future:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6Ga8DChQnw&feature=related

Ah, 90s Sega....

Tizoc

Screw all this tip-toeing: the Japanese soundtrack is LEGENDARY. Gorgeous, utterly melodic, blue-sky happy electronica sent from a better time.

The game absolutely has to be played with Japanese soundtrack first. US soundtrack has its moments, but is a bonus. EU forget it.

Err didn't EU get the JPN soundtrack?

FINALLY get to play the Sonic 4 prequel

I%2BFreakin%2BLove%2BThis%2B-%2BMr%2BPresident%2BBro%2BFist.jpg

Sophia

I think i'm going to try to play this the way I used to play Sonic games before I found out about true endings:

Just run through the stages normally, traveling between times as I go, then go back for a second perfect time stone run.

Yeah, I think this is the best way to play it the first time. It kinda loses it's charm when you get perfectionist about good futures/time stones.

scitek

Man, I hope the PC release isn't too far off.

It's just far enough off to let the console versions sell, otherwise they'd be demolished by PC piracy.

I don't understand the mindset behind delaying games on PC to "let the console versions sell." Like PC pirates are gonna buy the console version because they can't wait or something?

@MUWANdo

Banned
Can anyone confirm/deny that the physics toggles and whatnot actually made the cut? I seem to remember Taxman mentioned them on one forum or another and some Sega rep responded by telling him to shut up about them in case they didn't make it to the final product, or something.

ckohler

To live a life of power, you must have faith that what you believe is right, even if others tell you you're wrong. The first thing you must do to live a life of power is to find courage. You must be ready to reach beyond the boundaries of Time itself. And to do that, all you need is the will to take that first step…

I can't wait to play this tomorrow!

ckohler

True 16x9. The "Retro Engine" this is built upon is a vast improvement over the original game. Not only is it true widescreen but it also has smoother scaling and rotation than the Sega CD.

Also, I just watched a video of the 360 version and I want to warn everyone that hearing the Japanese opening WITHOUT VOCALS is a bit jarring. Apparently there was some licensing issue so the Japanese soundtrack is missing vocals on the main theme so it's an instrumental version. It still sounds decent but kinda weird without the vocals.

Teknoman

To live a life of power, you must have faith that what you believe is right, even if others tell you you're wrong. The first thing you must do to live a life of power is to find courage. You must be ready to reach beyond the boundaries of Time itself. And to do that, all you need is the will to take that first step…

I can't wait to play this tomorrow!

Dont just sit there and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, do it right away. Do it when you can. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

elektrixx

Banned
I know nothing about the Sonic series. I thought the word "CD" in the title was just some 90's cool dude BS; I didn't know this game was really on a CD!

Chinner

Banned
i haven't played sonic cd in like 14 years, so could someone explain to me the difference between the sonic 2 and sonic cd spindash apart from looking different?

i haven't played sonic cd in like 14 years, so could someone explain to me the difference between the sonic 2 and sonic cd spindash apart from looking different?
CD spindash forces you to charge the spindash for a bit before being able to let go, Sonic 2 spindash is instant.

Also, I can't seem to find the option to change soundtracks.

Gaspode_T

Most likely due to the soundtrack. I believe the Japanese Sonic CD, for Sega CD, was something along the size of 200mb as well. It used 320kbps MP3s. Whereas the USA version used 128kbps, from what I recall.

Or wait, did you perhaps expected a bigger filesize? :p

Yeah I think even Space Channel 5 Part 2 and Crazy Taxi are 600MB + each, 300 is a godsend

I thought Sonic Boom was taken out cause of a copyright issue? Man I want to know what the deal is with the PC release. Wonder if this will be on GFWL so I can use up my points I'm sitting on.
SEGA are one of the biggest backers of Steamworks.

Apdiddy

I can't wait to play this. It sounds like a 'rebuilt from the ground up' version rather than a port of the Gamecube Sonic Gems Collection (which is a PC port) version.

Sophia

Oh my god it's glorious. Just fucking glorious. This game just looks so fucking beautiful in widescreen at 60 FPS.

No way to switch the soundtrack on the fly tho, as far as I can tell.

Man, I don't even like Sonic all that much, and here I am considering a triple dip. Yeah, if you're on the fence, just fall on the "buy" side already.

Top Bottom