• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic CD (Retro Engine) |OT| Where We're Going, We Don't Need Backbone

ckohler

First thing you guys need to do is make sure you switch the video filer to "Nostalgia". The other two are WAY too blurry. Nostalgia looks perfect! Even makes the menus look better.

Sophia

First thing you guys need to do is make sure you switch the video filer to "Nostalgia". The other two are WAY too blurry. Nostalgia looks perfect! Even makes the menus look better.

Yeah I noticed that myself. Wonder why Nostalgia wasn't the default, given it looks the best.

Suairyu

Banned
Only 308Mb? Huh. Game assets aren't much, of course, but both soundtracks plus (people keep alleging) 1080p version of the movies... I honestly would have expected more.

Yoshiya

I have a stupid amount of iTunes credit and this game would be great on a portable, but I have serious misgivings about playing any fast platformer with touch controls. hmmm.

Only 308Mb? Huh. Game assets aren't much, of course, but both soundtracks plus (people keep alleging) 1080p version of the movies... I honestly would have expected more.

The FMV is upscaled from 480p. Looks the same as it did in Mega Collection/Sonic Gems Collection.

Anyway, just gave it a go. It's great! Everything oozes quality, the Nostalgia filter is just right (just the right amount of blur), the game physics feel spot on, the music and sound effects are very nice and high quality (none of that shitty fuzzyness that you got from Sonic Gems Collection!) and the menu is so good it makes me think that it was the original intended menu for the original SCD version!

All around, great stuff.

Too bad that Sonic CD still sucks balls though :(

Beat the game with sonic playing as I normally would, aka no resets if I fail a SS and some back tracking to get time posts and stuff, finished with only 4 emeralds :( I am rusty on those later special stages.

After finishing the game I switched the OST from JP to US and selected tails, feels like a completely different game, tails uses his sonic 2 sprite and palette but has all the missing animations he needs for springs, spinners and even the special stages! Tails can fly as expected but not in a special stage as it would easily brake them.

I'm not the biggest fan of sonic cd but it's still good fun to play, some stages feel really short when I used to think they were too long.

I also turned off the filters straight away, just the title screen showed me it was a bit murky.

gkryhewy

Sonic Boom should be untouched, Cosmic Eternity (You Can Do Anything) and Believe in Yourself, the Japanese Intro and Ending themes, had to have the lyrics muted however.

Shit, those sound like they'd have some choice speech quotes for herman cain. Opportunity lost.

I have it set to Sonic 2 Spin Dash, and I'm playing through the trial mode just to see what's different... and Sonic doesn't seem to make a noise when he rolls on the ground (tapping down while running). Is that normal for Sonic CD? I don't remember.

Dachande

Not up on EU PSN yet. :( Definitely the version of choice for me since I can use my USB Saturn pad for it while in my living room for maximum Seganess.

This will be my first time playing and finishing this game. I do have the one in the Gems collection, but I had no motivation to ever finish it. The time travel mechanic threw me off big time.

dvolovets

Question -- is it available only to Gold members for now?

Edit - Never mind, only the Trial version appeared on the site but I just had to log in to see the full game. Can't wait to get home from school today. :)

Lopson

Neo Member
According to the man himself,

The Taxman said:
Sure, you cannot get achievements if:

- Debug mode is active (going into Time Attack mode will always turn Debug Mode off due to leaderboards)
- You use the stage select
- You play as Tails

So I converted in-app to a full game (that end screen isn't up long enough to read it in time, I had to play through a second time to get to it again). I picked Unlock Full Game, then "Continue" like usual so it didn't reset. Got my achievement and gamer picture and such... now it's just sitting on an off-white screen. Didn't react to button presses until I pressed the Guide button, but now that seems to have sorted it.

RyType

Just got home and theres still nothing on the EU PSN.... I thought it was coming out here today? Got my Saturn USB pad all ready for nothing.... :(

RyType

It will be, the store updates at around 4pm :)

Ah, cheers fella, actually really looking forward to playing this one again, haven't played Sonic CD since playing it on my friends Mega CD and the PC version briefly with the US soundtrack. Really hoping it still holds up- I must admit I always seemed to prefer Sonic 1 & CD over Sonic 2...

Bought it and love it. Its amazing how well made this port is. Thank goodness SEGA was willing to work with a fan programmer. There may be hope yet for other SEGA game fan HD projects that are as good as Sonic CD's. I look forward to that day...

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Maybe this time I'll actually finish it... made it to the final boss in Gems Collection and stopped playing :p Sonic CD was never one of my favorites but for $5, a fantastic port of this is a must get!

Bought it and love it. Its amazing how well made this port is. Thank goodness SEGA was willing to work with a fan programmer. There may be hope yet for other SEGA game fan HD projects that are as good as Sonic CD's. I look forward to that day...

So great to hear these impressions, can't wait to try this. Hopefully other developers follow this trend

DeMeester

I've never actually played this game apart from the first two levels on a megadrive/genesis emulator. I'll certainly buy this and put it on my "to play" list :).

f'n A!

best piece of gaming news all year as far as delivering and more on top of fans' expectation.

Sega has learned and I like it.

Can't wait to see what magic they do with their other franchises like NiGHTS and Jet Grind Radio digital releases.

Daytona USA HD online should have told you there was something different going on at Sega.

Lijik

Was there a reason given for the iOs version being pushed back a day, or was it always supposed be the 15th and we had gotten the date wrong last night?

Was there a reason given for the iOs version being pushed back a day, or was it always supposed be the 15th and we had gotten the date wrong last night?

It's out in NZ right now and will probably release in the US by 11pm. So the release date is still on.

Gaspode_T

It's...it's...so beautiful...i can't believe it, this must be one of the best ports/remakes ever, and for only 400 points...for the love of god people buy it

I just played up to third world and it's all coming back to me, I must save the good future.

I played the first stage after switching to US soundtrack and it def kicks in more nostalgia, the Jpn soundtrack reminds me of Daytona USA composers they must be the same LOL

Top Bottom