• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic CD (Retro Engine) |OT| Where We're Going, We Don't Need Backbone

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Ok, somebody need to explain to me how to play Sonic CD (or Sonic at all)

Sonic has always been "move to the right at top speed" for me. On sonic 1, there was the "get 100 rings and go through a pole to get to the special stage" or something to get the emeralds.

Sonic CD has 3 timelines: Past, Present and Future. Going right at top speed doesn't cut it for this game, as I know there's shit to be done in both the future and the past.

Anybody has any guidelines?

andymcc

Banned

Sonic has always been "move to the right at top speed" for me. On sonic 1, there was the "get 100 rings and go through a pole to get to the special stage" or something to get the emeralds.

Sonic CD has 3 timelines: Past, Present and Future. Going right at top speed doesn't cut it for this game, as I know there's shit to be done in both the future and the past.

the point is to go to the past, and destroy the time machine that's hidden within the level. it will create a good future for the zone. the boss zone will become a good future version of the zone if you clear the first two this way.

you still want to have 50+ rings when clearing the stage so you can get the special stage. you need to get all of the time stones in order to get the good ending.

is super sonic in sonic cd?

no.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
the point is to go to the past, and destroy the time machine that's hidden within the level. it will create a good future for the zone. the boss zone will become a good future version of the zone if you clear the first two this way.

you still want to have 50+ rings when clearing the stage so you can get the special stage. you need to get all of the time stones in order to get the good ending.
So there's no point in going to the future, other than see how it looks like and how it's affected once the time machine is destroyed?

After destroying the time machine in the past, is there a difference in finishing the level in the past, present or future?

I never knew these things, and I HAVE the original Sonic CD, for god's sake. I always hated how once you went through a time pole, it's "used". If you didn't maintain your speed, you're screwed.

TreIII

No you don't. You can get the good ending by either a) getting all time stones or b) getting all "Good Futures" in all of the acts. You don't have to do both.

The Lamonster said:
What are the differences between the two styles of spin dash?
Sonic Cd one you have to hold the button for a few seconds. Rather than tapping noce (was Sonic 2 tap 6 times for max strength like Sonic 3 was?)

You can play it one of three ways:
1) Rush to the end. You'll get the bad ending and see a bad future each act 3.
2) Grab the 50 rings and go to the special stage. If you get all 7 time stones you get the good ending and all futures after you do that will be good future automatically.
3) Go to the past and find the machine in each act 1 and 2. Act 3 will be good future. I'm pretty sure if you do this for each act you get the good ending. This way might be the best as you can randomly wonder the levels looking for the machine (does the game give you any hints on this?) but if you hated the Sonic Advance 2 Special stage unlock (which is basically the same thing only with 7 collectables rather than 1 target) steer clear.

Some people like to visit the good future each time when doing 3). There is no reason to go to the future really.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

It's not really well thought out.

1)Future time/levels are worthless. Always seek out 'past' gates in each zone to destroy the robot machine hidden somewhere in every 'Past stage', which creates a good future in that zone. Do this for -every- stage and act in the entire game for the best ending, or....

2)Get all the Chaos emeralds ensuring you will get the best ending regardless of the time travel entirely.

Only reason I can ever think to visit the Future is out of pure curiosity(listen to the remixed music, see the changes undergone before and after hitting the robot machine in the past). It's a weird Sonic game(overrated if you ask me, especially given the stages look like pixel vomit compared to the Genesis games as well).

Gaspode_T

It's actually one of my favorite Sonics, the colors are super vibrant and it reminds me of playing the good 2D levels from Sonic Generations (moreso than Sonic 4 Episode 1)

I like the future world music, very techno and cool, honestly for casual player I would just play through and learn the levels first. Once you have kind of gotten good with clearing the levels you can worry about the achievements/time gates.

Tiduz

Eurogaime

no.

thx

JonCha

It's...it's...so beautiful...i can't believe it, this must be one of the best ports/remakes ever, and for only 400 points...for the love of god people buy it

I just played up to third world and it's all coming back to me, I must save the good future.

I played the first stage after switching to US soundtrack and it def kicks in more nostalgia, the Jpn soundtrack reminds me of Daytona USA composers they must be the same LOL

Yep, I'm preferring the US soundtrack three stages in too.

And damn, this is the hardest Classic Soinic game I've played purely because of finding the sodding time machines.

Orcastar

Well that came outta nowhere. Sonic CD is the only one of the old Sonic games I've never played too. The demo was nice enough, so might as well pick this up since it's super cheap too.

Konami, hello?

can you give this Sega CD game the "Taxman" treatment next?

snatcher.jpg

Snatcher

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Oh god dammit, it's all coming back to me now. As in, the fact of why I hate all Sonic games in existence.

God dammit, everytime I want to go to a specific time (either the future or the past), every time I find a Time Pole, there's another one just offscreen on the path I'm trying to get the 88mph thing.

Also, the special stage keeps kicking me off with 1 UFO left when I have 30+ seconds.

This game is HORRIBLE. I mean, Taxman engine is AMAZING, but fuck this game!

*goes back to playing it*

Teknoman

Oh god dammit, it's all coming back to me now. As in, the fact of why I hate all Sonic games in existence.

God dammit, everytime I want to go to a specific time (either the future or the past), every time I find a Time Pole, there's another one just offscreen on the path I'm trying to get the 88mph thing.

Also, the special stage keeps kicking me off with 1 UFO left when I have 30+ seconds.

This game is HORRIBLE. I mean, Taxman engine is AMAZING, but fuck this game!

*goes back to playing it*

Just do a normal run the first time, and time stone run the second time.

Lijik

Only reason I can ever think to visit the Future is out of pure curiosity(listen to the remixed music, see the changes undergone before and after hitting the robot machine in the past). It's a weird Sonic game(overrated if you ask me, especially given the stages look like pixel vomit compared to the Genesis games as well).

IIRC going to the bad future was neat as a built in hard mode (assuming the bad future stages are harder? I feel like they were), but there is no point to the good future.

It's out in NZ right now and will probably release in the US by 11pm. So the release date is still on.

Awesome, thanks!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Just do a normal run the first time, and time stone run the second time.
That's what I'm doing. It's the first sonic I decided I was going to play "right" (not just press right on the dpad and tush to the end. If I got to the special stage, cool!). But man...

I will say that having 3 timezones in each stage and doing things in one timezone changes stuff in the others is a pretty amazing concept. I just wish that traveling through the zones wasn't so gimmicky. Make it be a door, or an elevator, Toe & Jam style, and I'd be much happier.

Taxman engine is pretty awesome, Sega really should re-release Sonic 1 and 2 using it.

Zeppelin

I'll probably pick this one up since I never really played it. But does anyone else feel it's really hard to see the action? In most of the screenshots I feel like Sonic doesn't stand out as much from the background as in previous games.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Nice, Eu PSN has a demo of the game.

Eric C

Everybody buy this game so the suits will allow a S3&K version as well!

And please feel free to double dip :)

But what I'd really want is a remake of S2 and S3&K as one big continuous game. Sonic 3 starts up right where Sonic 2 ends.

They can also put in Blue Sphere too.

is super sonic in sonic cd?

No chaos emeralds in Sonic CD, so no Super Sonic. Sonic CD has Time Stones.

Wait. Wait, wait wait wait wait. Has Sega actually managed to break the Sonic Cycle or are we just in the middle of it without knowing? Gah, can't wait for the Android release... Will try the PSN demo in the mean time I guess.

Eric C

worth getting even if got the original?
I'd say so

For me, just these 2 features make it the definitive version

true 16X9 support, no screen stretching or borders
and locked 60fps, even the SEGA CD original had some slowdown issues

All the Genesis games should've been ported/remade this way. I hope Sega will still go back and redo them.

.la1n

Wait. Wait, wait wait wait wait. Has Sega actually managed to break the Sonic Cycle or are we just in the middle of it without knowing? Gah, can't wait for the Android release... Will try the PSN demo in the mean time I guess.

No this does not break the Sonic cycle. This is simply Sega cashing in on someone's efforts to do a proper port. The cycle will continue when Episode 2 information comes out.

Teknoman

I'd say so

For me, just these 2 features make it the definitive version

true 16X9 support, no screen stretching or borders
and locked 60fps, even the SEGA CD original had some slowdown issues

All the Genesis games should've been ported/remade this way. I hope Sega will still go back and redo them.

Dont forget Tails. And yeah i'd buy all Sonic titles remade like this...hell get Ristar in on this Tax action.

The cycle broke with Colors and Generations HD (PC).

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just played the demo. The game is very sexy. In fact all of the Sega Genesis games should have this kind of port, it would definitely help and it won't look tacked on.

rozay

Banned
Just bought it, playing now. Agreed that the nostalgia filter is the best.

Looks fucking amazing. If anyone who worked on this game is reading this, I really appreciate the care you guys put into rereleasing one of my favorite childhood games.

JonCha

No this does not break the Sonic cycle. This is simply Sega cashing in on someone's efforts to do a proper port. The cycle will continue when Episode 2 information comes out.

Yeah, stop obviously hating and grow up. The cycle broke on 2010. Cut this shit out.

Idiots will keep posting the Sonic Cycle because its an easy criticism to post on the Internet without having to think very hard. It just goes without saying.

Dachande

One problem I've got with the PS3 version is that the game doesn't recognise L1 or R1 as jump, so the C button on USB Saturn pad doesn't work. It's not too bad since I can just use A or B, but C was the natural go-to. Oh well.

bryehn

Dont forget Tails. And yeah i'd buy all Sonic titles remade like this...hell get Ristar in on this Tax action.

The cycle broke with Colors and Generations HD (PC).

I don't care what you bad game lovin' fools say, Generations was terrible outside of the classic Sonic levels. Namely acting, hub world, modern Sonic (including levels you could clip through into oblivion). The pinball DLC I got from GameStop was the best part.

0 HP

Idiots will keep posting the Sonic Cycle because its an easy criticism to post on the Internet without having to think very hard. It just goes without saying.

sonic fans do the same thing with sonic 4. trying to talk about sonic on gaf just sucks you into a vortex of stupidity no matter what

Teknoman

I don't care what you bad game lovin' fools say, Generations was terrible outside of the classic Sonic levels. Namely acting, hub world, modern Sonic (including levels you could clip through into oblivion). The pinball DLC I got from GameStop was the best part.

I dunno about the console versions, but I never had any strange clipping problems or glitches with Modern Sonic...but then again I stopped playing for awhile after reaching Seaside hill.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I dunno about the console versions, but I never had any strange clipping problems or glitches with Modern Sonic...but then again I stopped playing for awhile after reaching Seaside hill.
The console version of Generations seemed fine to me.

Sonic Cycle posts are still rather irritating to read, especially after good steps in the correct direction like Colours, Generations, and now, Taxman's edition of Sonic CD. I think most of us felt the same way about Sonic 4's inadequacies.

Maybe they'll put Taxman in charge of all future 2D Sonic titles and all will be well, right? :(

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
C'mon guys, I loved Generations but let's not pretend that the Sonic Cycle isn't still a real thing. An excellent port of Sonic CD isn't further grand justification that a new era of Sonic is in effect.

Top Bottom