• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic CD (Retro Engine) |OT| Where We're Going, We Don't Need Backbone

remz

Got 200/200 for this now.

Currently I'm back home in Adelaide, Australia from being in another state for a few years. Going through all my Sonic stuff, I went and figured out which copies of Sonic CD I owned prior:

soniccd.jpg

I went on binges trying to get every version of each game I could. Gues I never got the Japanese version of the Mega CD original, though I see it's still pretty expensive.

I had the little one in the jewel case, bottom middle, but I lost it. ;-;

Lijik

Nah, I'd say Aquatic Ruin is the worst boss. Or Wing Fortess, if only because he's so annoying. As for the level design, ymmv but Chemical Plant is one of my favourite Sonic levels. Despite the 'hold right to win' complaints :p

Okay you got me, I totally forgot about Wing fortress

(i will also concede the music in chemical plant zone is one of the best sonic tracks of all time. Anyone denying that is the most batshit)

Rlan

I had the little one in the jewel case, bottom middle, but I lost it. ;-;

Hah, found that one at Gametraders for $3 :p I'm always a sucker for the little, weird differences you can find in some games, particularly the older titles. I've got some weird, French version of Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine which had an entirely different cover on it.

My first Sonic CD was the big, PC one at the back. The music didn't play for me at all, but I played it anyway :p

I finally got around to starting it up on my Android and the damn thing errored out after 2+ hours of downloading. Any way to download it any faster?

Chinner

Banned
dunno. after new year probably.

also getting really into time attack now. really addictive as usual. as you learn the levels you can find some really optimal routes that are really time effective. not to troll but it makes me think people who complain that you cant run constantly are just not relaly putting effort into learning the maps.

if anyone is into time attack and has sonic on ios then add me on gamecenter (tag is chinner).

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
dunno. after new year probably.

also getting really into time attack now. really addictive as usual. as you learn the levels you can find some really optimal routes that are really time effective. not to troll but it makes me think people who complain that you cant run constantly are just not relaly putting effort into learning the maps.

if anyone is into time attack and has sonic on ios then add me on gamecenter (tag is chinner).
I was trying to wait because I still have too many games to play but I caved in and bought it a bit after adding you. I'm going to be playing it normally first but I'll surely be tackling the time attack after that.

TheOGB

Banned
Wacky Workbench.

Wacky fucking Workbench.

Not too bad, actually.

3 A.M. EDIT: Man, it's been so long since I've played through Stardust Speedway, let alone reached it. Such a fun zone, and easy as all hell too; it's like it desperately wants you to make it look good in the future.

Just curious though, why does nobody ever complain about Metallic Madness? Seriously, the amount of bullshit in that level is staggering.

Wacky Workbench.

Wacky fucking Workbench.

Not too bad, actually.

3 A.M. EDIT: Man, it's been so long since I've played through Stardust Speedway, let alone reached it. Such a fun zone, and easy as all hell too; it's like it desperately wants you to make it look good in the future.

Just curious though, why does nobody ever complain about Metallic Madness? Seriously, the amount of bullshit in that level is staggering.

Yeah, seriously! After reading through this thread, I am actually quite shocked. Metallic Madness may be the most annoying/difficult zone in any 2D sonic game. It really pisses me off. Wacky Workbench and Stardust Speedway really aren't that difficult.

Hey i've groaned about Metallic Madness at least twice in this topic. You see I say that Wacky Workbench and some parts of Collison Chaos have some questionable stage design but I don't really hate them or find them difficult (crappy WW act 1 generator placement aside, still can't believe that one).

Now metallic madness just kind of sucks, it actually has a more straightforward level design than most zones but I really don't like playing it at all. The brief bottomless pit in act 3 is an absolute disaster of a section, the shrinking maze in act 2 was okay but i'll confess I went round it at least twice before noticing the way out. And then there are the crushing cylinders, I swear these things killed me more than anything in the game and a good 90% of the time it was because Sonic's toe was caught on/under one, especially perplexing when I was standing on a checkpoint in between two cylinders and somehow got crushed by the one heading upwards into the ceiling when I was still on the checkpoint platform, metallic madness indeed.
Oh and those bomb enemies, so annoying that they are even in the good future, that's not a good future at all.

Hah, found that one at Gametraders for $3 :p I'm always a sucker for the little, weird differences you can find in some games, particularly the older titles. I've got some weird, French version of Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine which had an entirely different cover on it.

My first Sonic CD was the big, PC one at the back. The music didn't play for me at all, but I played it anyway :p

on my first ever pc sonic cd would play at half speed if the cd rom was reading music at the same time, I had to eject the disc to get the game to play full speed, then enter the disk again to load the next act.

Lovely :D

Yeah, seriously! After reading through this thread, I am actually quite shocked. Metallic Madness may be the most annoying/difficult zone in any 2D sonic game. It really pisses me off. Wacky Workbench and Stardust Speedway really aren't that difficult.

I find it difficult at times too, but I'll never complain.

Challenge is good.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I don't find the stages difficult (maybe except for Collision Chaos, but that's not a big problem), but the Special Stages are frustrating as hell.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm definitely having a great time playing Sonic CD but I really don't think the level design is as good as people seem to think (those defending the game). I appreciate the focus on platforming as it does produce a different sort of game, but the level design really does feel quite random and strange. It's not polished at all. They just dropped sprites and tiles all over the damn place (why are there rings embedded in the scenery, for instance?).

I think it LOOKS really neat at times due to this, but it's still strange level design.

I think the original version proves that the whole thing was pretty much rushed to completion (the insane amount of slowdown in the Mega CD version is what I'm referring to).

Still, despite these strange decisions, it's so different and strange that I can't help but love it. There is still a lot of fun gameplay in here. It's infinitely better than the mess that was Knuckles Chaotix.

I don't think it's anywhere near as well designed as Sonic 2, though, but it's still awesome.

Natetan

Oh cool there's a thread about this. I downloaded it from iTunes when it was on sale recently. Hard to say no, esp to a game I always wanted to play and have heard a fair amount about.

I played until the boss where you have to be launched up a couple levels before you. An hit them.

This game is sort of like yoshida island to SMW in the sense that it has a lot of fun unique ideas. I thought the stages were fun for how open they felt. I had no idea what I was doing and still don't know what the future/past poles are for. It's all fun, and haveing a tradition looki g sonic to play on my iPhone is great.

Ramune

i forgot how addictive time attack can be on sonic.
This! I was playing Palmtree Panic on my iPhone and while it was a fun diversion in the original, actually doing it to unlock things in this version makes it shine! I literally spent 1 1/2 hours trying to perfect my run in Act 1 alone. It's also interesting that I initially did this with the US OST selected. When I switched back to the JP OST, my times instantly improved! O_O

Now to see if this is the case on the PS3...using a USB Saturn controller! ^_-

I believe they become obtainable in different time zones.

I am not 100% sure about this, but I seem to remember hearing that there's only one "ring map" (which determines where rings are placed) for each zone, so rings are always in the same place across multiple eras of time.

Which is a long way of saying "Yes, you are correct"

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
This may seem slightly random but are there any ongoing official projects by Christian Whitehead and Sega? Here's to hoping they port and HD-fy more non-Sonic Sega games like Phantasy Star.

pmj

I'm sure people have discussed my issues before, but I just fell into the same bottomless pit on what I think is the last level multiple times and I'm going to write something while I'm still irritated.

I've tried to play Sonic CD a couple of times before, but always found the first act of the first zone off-putting enough to make me quit right there. This time I figured it was time, so I pushed on, thinking that it either had to get better after the first zone, or that I was playing it wrong somehow.

But no. I don't like any of the zones. Some of them I hate. By and large, the levels seem randomly generated. It even features speed boots before what is essentially a cutscene, making the boots run out before you can actually engage the boss, and invulnerability before what I assume is the last boss that you can't get any real use of since you have to wait for spiked platforms to descend from the ceiling. What human designer would put these items there? In one of the zones I spent a long time going backwards. It didn't seem right, but it didn't seem like I could progress forward either.

I've read that a common complaint are the pastel color schemes of the zones, but I'm fine with them. The bad part about the visuals, I think, is that most zones have little to no variation in them, nor any good separation between layers, which is something I think is important in a Sonic game. You rarely feel like you're above, in the middle, or at the bottom of the level, nor at the beginning, middle, or end of it. You could be anywhere.

I found myself actively avoiding time traveling so no comments on that. Also, I have no idea what the goal of the bonus levels is so after a few failed attempts (am I supposed to race? Are there items to pick up somewhere? Am I supposed to destroy all floating blobs? Why am I kicked out before the time runs out? Fuck it, I'm never doing this again.) I started skipping those too.

Worst zone: Stardust Speedway. I never knew where I was going or if I was making any progress. Sometimes I was going backwards. It's hard to know when everywhere looks the same. It felt like a maze.

Best zone: Tidal Tempest. I didn't like it, but at least it had water that you went in and out of during the course of the zone. It gave it some variation.

I hate this game, but I did my part in supporting a quality port. Sonic 3 & Knuckles next, Sega!

WillyFive

wow what a bunch of whiny self-entitled babbies in this thread. so because you cannot just hold right and run consistently so that means the level design is terrible?

No. Getting lost in poorly laid out levels with looping traps and cramped platforming is what I call terrible level design, especially for a Sonic game.

It's good to have variety in the level design, but when it's a pain to perform the main gimmick of the game (time travel) when you want it to, it's detrimental to the game.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Just beat the game. Man, it's still fucking awesome after all these years. This is the definite version of CD, IMO. Taxman did a fucking amazing job on this port. Alternating between both the US and Japanese soundtrack was cool as fuck. Got almost all of the trophies except two which is the time attack one and the one where you have to destroy the hallograms (don't know how to spell that word lol). It'd be cool if there was a patch that would let you save a playlist of each zone where you want the US or Japanese soundtrack to play. For instance, I love Stardust Speedway's japanese version of the two zones, but prefer the US version of the third act where you race Metal Sonic. It'd be neat. Also, never would I have imagined playing as Tails in Sonic CD. The new spriteworks for Tails are awesome! Best $5 I've ever spent.

ULTROS!

Is the retro engine free to use or obtain?

No. Getting lost in poorly laid out levels with looping traps and cramped platforming is what I call terrible level design, especially for a Sonic game.

It's good to have variety in the level design, but when it's a pain to perform the main gimmick of the game (time travel) when you want it to, it's detrimental to the game.

The entire point of the game is so that you can't just travel through time any time you want. The key to the game is figuring out exactly when and where to use that gimmick. It isn't just zoom zoom zoom like your modern Sonic games, I realize. It actually involves, you know, skill.

But if you're going to say Modern Sonic games are "just zoom zoom zoom" and don't require skill, then you need to back that statement up. Otherwise you're full of shit.

It requires no skill at all to finish modern Sonic games, yes.

You could go for the world record on "Barney's Hide and Seek" for the Genesis and make it into a challenge if you really wanted to.

You could go for the world record on "Barney's Hide and Seek" for the Genesis and make it into a challenge if you really wanted to.

The point is that you said there was no skill involved, so how hard could it be? Can't you do something that requires no skill at all?

The point is that you said there was no skill involved, so how hard could it be? Can't you do something that requires no skill at all?

I don't know, why don't you gather 4 buddies and see who can finish the game the fastest?

After a lot of repetition and trial and error, I'm certain one of you will come out on top.

That doesn't stop the fact that a 3 year old kid could finish the game in an evening. People hark on Sonic CD because they don't like the time travel gimmick or the fact that they don't like the level design. They basically call it shit because it's too hard for them or it requires more than the mindless button mashing that they're used to. That's the whole point I was trying to make.

btw: I should note that Sonic CD actually isn't a difficult game in the least, even if you're going for the best ending. The people who whine about it's difficulty clearly never played and enjoyed many games from that era.

Have to agree. Sonic CD has fanstastic level design for the most part if you actually play it like the precision platformer it is. Exploring the levels for the machines/holograms as well as finding good time warp points felt amazingly refreshing and is the perfect side-dish to anyone who has cleared S&K3 countless times because it's so different from it while still having essentially the aame mechanics. I don't know if it's "hold right to win" screwing people's experience with this game over but they definitely seem to be missing out.

The entire point of the game is so that you can't just travel through time any time you want. The key to the game is figuring out exactly when and where to use that gimmick. It isn't just zoom zoom zoom like your modern Sonic games, I realize. It actually involves, you know, skill.

There isn't really much skill involved in time travel in Sonic CD. Each level generally has the one "obvious" spot where you can time travel, usually denoted by two springs you can trap yourself between in order to safely maintain the proper level of speed. There are maybe three levels in the game that don't have one (and they usually have some other way to trap Sonic in a speed loop).

It's more about patience, memorization, and exploration. Sonic CD is all about taking enough time to find what you need... the "skill" part comes when they decide there needs to be 5 enemies on screen all gunning to kill Sonic.

And if you aren't playing Sonic games to go fast, what the fuck are you playing Sonic games for? You could be playing literally any other platformer.

I'm sorry, what? I'd like to see you make a blind run at finishing something like Arid Sands in Sonic Unleashed your first time through the level without dying. Let alone without taking damage!

Don't give me any bullshit about how the game plays itself, either. Nut up or shut up.

I don't know, why don't you gather 4 buddies and see who can finish the game the fastest?

After a lot of repetition and trial and error, I'm certain one of you will come out on top.

That doesn't stop the fact that a 3 year old kid could finish the game in an evening. People hark on Sonic CD because they don't like the time travel gimmick or the fact that they don't like the level design. They basically call it shit because it's too hard for them or it requires more than the mindless button mashing that they're used to. That's the whole point I was trying to make.

btw: I should note that Sonic CD actually isn't a difficult game in the least, even if you're going for the best ending. The people who whine about it's difficulty clearly never played and enjoyed many games from that era.

And now it just sounds like you're trolling. There's no way you can be seriously making statements like these in good conscious unless your only goal is to ruffle feathers.

And now it just sounds like you're trolling. There's no way you can be seriously making statements like these in good conscious unless your only goal is to ruffle feathers.

People toss the word 'troll' around like it's meaningless. No, that is honestly how I feel about people who don't 'get' Sonic CD. I feel like they're spoiled by the hand-holding that comes along with modern Sonic titles.

And if you aren't playing Sonic games to go fast, what the fuck are you playing Sonic games for? You could be playing literally any other platformer.

You should know better than that. Yes, in every good Sonic game there are parts where you move fast, and that's great, that's what made the series famous. But the very first Sonic game wasn't nothing but running as fast as possible through the whole level. And neither is Sonic CD, which adds a whole new element of exploration on top of what was already a great thing. To say that Sonic CD is completely without speed is pure exaggeration. Yes, the game depends on how well you explore the levels, but it isn't like you're moving along at a Mario-like pace while doing so.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
People toss the word 'troll' around like it's meaningless. No, that is honestly how I feel about people who don't 'get' Sonic CD. I feel like they're spoiled by the hand-holding that comes along with modern Sonic titles.
That's kind of unfair. There are a lot of us here that actually played the game back in the day.

My opinion of the game has actually improved, for instance. When I was younger I just didn't enjoy it as much as the Genesis games. I always thought it was felt a bit strange like some sort of side project that was thrown together. Heck, I was even disappointed by the soundtrack. I had this old Sonic screen saver that included music from Sonic CD (according to the folder) and I loved those tracks. So I bought Sonic CD when I finally had the hardware and was disappointed to find that it was all completely different. If I knew about the internet back then I probably would have complained on a message board. :p

I never found the game too difficult, just annoying. I could always get through stages like Wacky Workbench without dying, that wasn't an issue, but it wasn't that fun either. It's not as if the actual jumping mechanics are designed for actual platforming (which is what the game demands).

Over the years it has grown on me and I quite like it today and appreciate what they did, but don't act like negative opinions were formed out of exposure to easier games.

That's kind of unfair. There are a lot of us here that actually played the game back in the day.

My opinion of the game has actually improved, for instance. When I was younger I just didn't enjoy it as much as the Genesis games. I always thought it was felt a bit strange like some sort of side project that was thrown together. Heck, I was even disappointed by the soundtrack. I had this old Sonic screen saver that included music from Sonic CD (according to the folder) and I loved those tracks. So I bought Sonic CD when I finally had the hardware and was disappointed to find that it was all completely different. If I knew about the internet back then I probably would have complained on a message board. :p

I never found the game too difficult, just annoying. I could always get through stages like Wacky Workbench without dying, that wasn't an issue, but it wasn't that fun either. It's not as if the actual jumping mechanics are designed for actual platforming (which is what the game demands).

Over the years it has grown on me and I quite like it today and appreciate what they did, but don't act like negative opinions were formed out of exposure to easier games.

I'm referring directly to those who have complained that the game is unfun because of how 'cheap' it is with the enemy placement and how having to travel through time is too difficult.

It isn't at all difficult if you do a little exploring around the levels and putting 2 and 2 together as to which locations in each act serve as the best launchpads for setting off the time travel gimmick. Yes, it takes a little bit more thinking than simply boosting your way forward through a level, but not much.

Traveling through time isn't really that difficult in a "Man I keep dying" sort of sense.

The whole thing is instead just tedious as hell. There are so many steps involved in time traveling and creating good futures that it takes a 3 minute level and it can make it a 8 or 10 minute level.

It's worse than hunting for a needle in a haystack, because when you finish with one haystack there's another one with the next needle in it, and another one after that. Pull up a chair and grind it out. There are no hints. Not really any direction. You just have to wander around enough until you find what you're looking for.

In some cases, like Wacky Workbench, the game actually tries to prevent you from creating a good future by hiding shit in illogical places that go against all practical game design conventions. In literally every other Sonic game, including later Sonic CD levels, you are taught what "crushers" are and that being crushed will instantly kill you and Wacky fuckin' Workbench takes that idea and goes, "Naw, letting yourself get crushed is the only way to get to the robot teleporter."

Go eat a dick, Wacky Workbench. Nobody likes you. Shit like this is why you weren't invited to the Christmas Party with all the other Sonic levels. Even Wing Fortress was invited, and nobody likes Wing Fortress. But you weren't.

Other complaints regarding Sonic CD's difficulty are unrelated to time travel for the most part. Dark10x put it better when he said it was more annoying than anything else; The game frequently puts enemies directly on the path the player is running on, meaning that unless you have the level memorized you're most likely going to run straight in to them.

Worse still, there's multiple places in Tidal Tempest where the flying wasp enemies are placed directly over the mouth of a chasm with springs at the bottom, so when you get sprung up there's a pretty good chance you'll collide with them when you're completely defenseless. That's not me being hyperbolic or theoretical; that's actually happened to me on multiple occasions. Everything seems timed so that the wasp badnik will be in precisely the correct position to collide with Sonic.

This gets even worse in later levels, when they start making springs travel back and forth on wheels and expect you to spring up a narrow shaft... that's surrounded by beds of spikes on the ceiling, so unless you thread the needle just perfectly you're going to take damage. No skill in avoiding those traps, only the foresight of memorization.

Quartz Quadrant is a different beast altogether; in a game that demands you frequently take things slow and carefully (as to not accidentally waste time travel energy before you can find a place with enough space for teleportation), they introduce rocks that drop from the ceiling and the only way to avoid them is to be running at full tilt. On top of that are conveyor belts which will severely impede Sonic's speed even if he is running full tilt.

Going back to Wacky Workbench, ignoring the whole "crushers that don't kill you, even though there are crushers in other parts of the game that do" logical fallacy, you have enemies that are basically 100% hidden until they pop out of the ceiling and hurt you.

"Memorization" is not "thinking". It is trial and error. While there's nothing wrong with a little trial and error in small, metered doses, Sonic CD uses it in anything but moderation. But, hey, to a certain degree, that's Sonic. It's a trait that became a pretty significant part of later Sonic games - especially the Sonic Advance and Sonic Rush games.

You just seem to be in denial of Sonic CD's flaws, SonicMegaDrive.

You just seem to be in denial of Sonic CD's flaws, SonicMegaDrive.

Or it could possibly be that some of the things you mention I don't find to be 'flaws' at all, in fact many of those things you mentioned are reasons why I *like* the game.

There is one thing I will agree on though, the 10-minute time limit is bull shit. There shouldn't be one at all in a game that relies on exploration.

Oh, Oh, and I gotta comment on that 'crusher' hidden secret. When I first discovered that I thought it was the best thing in the world. It took me a minute or two to figure out, but when I couldn't figure out how to get through the wall to find the pod, I knew you had to take a tube to get in. So, I followed the tube all the way to where the entrance was, only to find a 'crusher' blocking it's path. After trying every possible way of getting in, I took a chance and let the crusher crush me: Presto! The entrance has been found. Blew my mind back in the day.

Is it a little cryptic for a Sonic game? Sure, but it was entirely doable with just a little bit of thinking. That's the sort of thing I like about Sonic CD. It does defy a lot of the conventions of the other Sonic games.

Rlan

Eah, whoever the dick was who decided the route to get back from the robot dispenser in metallic madness (1?) is a real douche.

Getting to the past is usually easy -- finding those dual spring aections.

Chinner

Banned
basically copying my other post, but i think how you define a sonic game will really make or break sonic cd for you. for me, the elements of exploration, traps, platforming and time travel are really awesome for me. brings a lot of variety and individuality to the game, and speed-running is still very much possible if you're willing to put the time in.

however i can appreciate how some people may not like it they're wanting something more similar to sonic 2 or so.

First time player here, and I'm really enjoying this game! The levels are beautifully-designed and fun to explore thanks to their open nature and the time traveling mechanic.

I'll play through a stage many times to come up with the best strategies for a good future, and I think that adds a lot to the game's appeal. Time travel and the inclusion of the Japanese/European audio also makes for an amazing, dynamic music selection.

Quick question though. Does destroying the Metal Sonic holograms in the past change anything in the future?

Quick question though. Does destroying the Metal Sonic holograms in the past change anything in the future?

It's basically like the end of stage animal prisons in other Sonic games, but in the middle of the stage. If you destroy the projector, you'll see them bouncing around the stage. They also count toward the achievement in the remake, but don't matter for the Good Ending.

It's basically like the end of stage animal prisons in other Sonic games, but in the middle of the stage. If you destroy the projector, you'll see them bouncing around the stage. They also count toward the achievement in the remake, but don't matter for the Good Ending.

Ah, that's interesting. Thanks. : )

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Played the shit out of this and now started my way with the time attack, haven't had much time to sink into it though. Only achievements left are the 'time attack < 25m' and the time stones one. I don't know how much I'll be able to stomach those special stages, they're random as hell and a pain in the ass.

0 HP

I'm surprised people find time travel so tedious/difficult. You can find at least a couple Past signposts in each level without even looking for them and there's usually always some gimmick right in the whereabouts of the signposts that you can use to time travel. Off the top of my head, most of the robot generators are within a stone's throw of one of the signposts.

If you hate the exploration thing, you can always just get the time stones from the special stages.

Wacky Workbench isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be, but I can understand why some don't like it. The only thing I don't like about this game is the ease of all the bosses and the way the game just ends anticlimactically. With just a little bit more, i think this game could have stood equally with 1-3K

Top Bottom