• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic CD (Retro Engine) |OT| Where We're Going, We Don't Need Backbone

Lijik

If you think Sonic CD is closer to how Sonic 1 plays than Sonic 2&3 then you're off your rocker.

Sonic CD is so different from all mainline Mega Drive games.

I felt like its pretty close to 1. At the very least CD actively encourages the playstyle I developed when I played Sonic 1 without any real prior Sonic game knowledge while 2 and 3 don't.

but even when I first played it, the hazards in the game were never severe enough to the point where the game became an exercise in frustration.
Yeah I dont get this complaint. I found my first playthroughs of Sonic 2 far more frustrating than CD ever was.

Chinner

Banned
im trying to remember, how did the point system work in sonic 1? was it time or ring based? i remember it being different to sonic 2 at least..

im trying to remember, how did the point system work in sonic 1? was it time or ring based? i remember it being different to sonic 2 at least..

Little changes in the Genesis Sonic scoring system as far as I'm aware. 100 points per ring the player carries to the end of the stage, and time bonus is calculated based on how fast you can get through:

• Less than 30 seconds: 50,000 points
  • 30 - 44 seconds: 10,000 points
  • 45 - 59 seconds: 5000 points
  • 1 - 1:29 minutes: 4000 points
  • 1:30 - 1:59 minutes: 3000 points
  • 2 - 2:59 minutes: 2000 points
  • 3 - 3:59 minutes: 1000 points
  • 4 - 4:59 minutes: 500 points
  • 5 minutes or more: 0 points

If the amount of bonus points tallied up at the end is greater than 10,000, you are awarded a continue.

Starting in Sonic 2, collecting every single ring in a given act will also give you a "Perfect Bonus" at the end of the stage, worth an additional 50,000 points. This "Perfect Bonus" carries over in to the special stages in Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Starting in Sonic 2, collecting every single ring in a given act will also give you a "Perfect Bonus" at the end of the stage, worth an additional 50,000 points. This "Perfect Bonus" carries over in to the special stages in Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

I never heard about this before, how do monitors/item boxes with rings and dropping rings factor into this? or is it just for the rings out in the open? due to the multiple paths in Sonic games I can't imagine someone doing this for every stage

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
For close to twenty years, I've heard that Sonic CD was one of the best 2D Sonic games and that it was a must play for any fan. I am convinced that this entire thing has just been an elaborate prank on me.

It seems like pretty much every single stage is designed specifically to punish you for going fast, which sends some crazy mixed signals since the whole time travel mechanic relies on Sonic being able to maintain his high velocity. Of course, if you DO managed to pull off a successful time jump, then it becomes a strange game of 'Where's Waldo' to find a hologram?

GAF, am I just not 'getting it'?

No, you're very right. It does punish traditional Genesis Sonic play, but is it a bad game? Not really. The only thing dragging it down is the stupid "find the hologram/factory" shit to get the good future. Why? Why couldn't the time-travel be fleshed out to not require such a stupid chore?

I never got the chance to play Sonic CD at release, so I'm glad I got this version. Got to the second boss (the
pinball
one), and just as I get the final hit in the screen scrolled left slightly so Sonic was offscreen and just stayed there. Time wasn't counting down, and I couldn't do anything but quit to dash.

Anyone else had that happen?

qq more

No, you're very right. It does punish traditional Genesis Sonic play, but is it a bad game? Not really. The only thing dragging it down is the stupid "find the hologram/factory" shit to get the good future. Why? Why couldn't the time-travel be fleshed out to not require such a stupid chore?

You don't need to find the hologram for the good future. In fact, it is very much pointless other than getting a trophy for it.

MechaX

I had my friend play through Sonic CD; he's a really big Sonic fan and pretty much grew up with the series. I warned him to not play the game like it was a typical genesis Sonic game, but he only really understood the magnitude of that advice on Wacky Workbench. It was kinda funny because he ended up hating the game; he hated "getting lost" and said "the point of Sonic is to run really fast." To some extent, I do agree with him; while some of Sonic CD's antics more for time traveling purposes, more often than not, there will just be a random spring when you're traveling fast that will send you back (for no reason at that).

But still, I like Sonic CD regardless of how a lot of the stuff in the levels seems solely designed to piss off the player. It adds something more than "hold right to win" (but on second thought, only the early levels in the genesis titles really had such design) in terms of exploration. I also think that having a severe lack of bottomless pits is a plus.

With that said, bad future stages still suck. They usually have terrible music in both the US and JP versions and usually don't look all that great.

Chinner

Banned
I had my friend play through Sonic CD; he's a really big Sonic fan and pretty much grew up with the series. I warned him to not play the game like it was a typical genesis Sonic game, but he only really understood the magnitude of that advice on Wacky Workbench. It was kinda funny because he ended up hating the game; he hated "getting lost" and said "the point of Sonic is to run really fast." To some extent, I do agree with him; while some of Sonic CD's antics more for time traveling purposes, more often than not, there will just be a random spring when you're traveling fast that will send you back (for no reason at that).

But still, I like Sonic CD regardless of how a lot of the stuff in the levels seems solely designed to piss off the player. It adds something more than "hold right to win" (but on second thought, only the early levels in the genesis titles really had such design) in terms of exploration. I also think that having a severe lack of bottomless pits is a plus.

With that said, bad future stages still suck. They usually have terrible music in both the US and JP versions and usually don't look all that great.

*Farts on you and your friend*

Ramune

Love this game! This is the only 16-bit Sonic game where I can't remember 100% every level layout (compared to the Genesis games), and each play through is fresh in some way (and I've been playing it on PicoDrive on the PSP pretty regularly before this release). First game where I actually WANT to bother getting all the trophies for.

It's funny, the first time I showed my roommate Sonic CD, it was from the original Mega CD version and he couldn't get over the "happy music" mixed with the "ugly choice in colors for the levels; Pink? Really?!" Played the PS3 version and had the American music on and I guess he forgot about the game but again couldn't get used to the colors and "That music isn't Sonic! Sounds like an episode of Saved by the Bell or some early 90s sitcom!" To his credit, he does think that Sonic 3 & Knuckles is THE best Sonic game.

luka

Loves Robotech S1

Was your friend born in 2001?

Muskweeto

I just bought this for my Droid Bionic and it's absolutely fantastic. So smooth and the controls are great, I plan on buying it for the Xbox and PS3 also since it's so cheap. I wish it would come out on the Wii too.

I really want them to come out with a retail release of this with the Genesis/Mega Drive games redone too, throw in some of the game gear games redone and it would be the greatest retro release ever.

WillyFive

Yeah, Sonic CD is the anti-thesis to what makes people want to play a Sonic game.

The levels are frustrating, confusing, unintuitive, easy to get lost, and they force you to stop every few seconds; and they aren't even good enough levels to make it tolerable. They are a pain, and the level sprite work is very very poor compared to other Genesis games, it all looks like a mess of sprite elements laid out in random matter. Maybe it was intentional, but it only made it easier to get lost.

Just walking by Palmtree Panic and seeing those green spiky things in mid-air, I just think "what the heck is that supposed to be?".

Great port though, we need more.

Teknoman

Yeah, Sonic CD is the anti-thesis to what makes people want to play a Sonic game.

The levels are frustrating, confusing, unintuitive, easy to get lost, and they force you to stop every few seconds; and they aren't even good enough levels to make it tolerable. They are a pain, and the level sprite work is very very poor compared to other Genesis games, it all looks like a mess of sprite elements laid out in random matter. Maybe it was intentional, but it only made it easier to get lost.

Just walking by Palmtree Panic and seeing those green spiky things in mid-air, I just think "what the heck is that supposed to be?".

Helium palms, duh.

Yeah, Sonic CD is the anti-thesis to what makes me want to play a Sonic game.

Fixed.

I find you people who don't like Sonic CD strange. While it's fairly difficult not to, I would say that it's not particularly fair to compare it to the epic S3 and K. It's a more heavily expanded version of Sonic 1's gameplay with bigger, larger, prettier stages, graphics, and amazing music. Actually, it might be my favorite game soundtrack ever (JP version, that is).

On the other hand, I completely agree with the frustration being expressed over Wacky Workbench...

Say, when does this game come out on the Japanese PSN? I am getting a bit nervous now and really want to play it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Collecting all the trophies isn't exactly easy, especially the time trial, time stones, and metal sonic parts.

Picked this up last night from PSN after playing the demo level. Gotta say I am pretty impressed with how it looks. Haven't played it since the Sega CD days, and will always regret selling my import Sonic CD. Plan on doing a US and JP soundtrack run because I am actually quite fond of both.

Pretty much my feelings, I think. I agree the port is fantastic but the game itself I don't care for at all.

Wark

This game is probably one of my most played Sonic games. I remember going to the local video game store when I was little and constantly badgering my sister to buy a Sega CD and a copy of the game so I could play it. I was blown away the first time I heard "Sonic Boom" - and I constantly pick the song as the BGM in Sonic Generations.

Maybe I'll pick this up tonight if today's Steam sale doesn't rape my wallet.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

Pretty much, yeah. Modern day Sonic games suffer from often being 'go fast to win', while Sonic CD suffers from the game punishing the player for going fast. Sonic 1-3&K had the perfect blend of speed and exploration without tipping too much over in either direction. The new port is a great port, but the game itself is still overall pretty terrible, and all the love and attention they've spent on Sonic CD would've been better spent on either Sonic 1, Sonic 2 or Sonic 3&K IMO.

Chinner

Banned
wow what a bunch of whiny self-entitled babbies in this thread. so because you cannot just hold right and run consistently so that means the level design is terrible?

that opinion is on the same level as a fart.

look its pretty obvious that sonic cd isn't really the same as the other sonic games. it rewards player who explore, platform and learn the environments. you can even time attack that shit just youtube it. don't know why you babbies are crying. every act has variety and it's not just a different skin or dumb shit like in the other classic sonics. i guess when a game is too hard and requires some time then that means it must be bad!!!

according to you guys this would be 'brilliant' level design:
oxeKO.png

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Pretty much, yeah. Modern day Sonic games suffer from often being 'go fast to win', while Sonic CD suffers from the game punishing the player for going fast. Sonic 1-3&K had the perfect blend of speed and exploration without tipping too much over in either direction. The new port is a great port, but the game itself is still overall pretty terrible, and all the love and attention they've spent on Sonic CD would've been better spent on either Sonic 1, Sonic 2 or Sonic 3&K IMO.

It doesn't punish you for going too fast. It does, however, reward thoughtful and methodical application of speed when appropriate.

qq more

Wacky Workbench and Starlight Speedway Act 2 (to a lesser extent) are the only levels where I actually questioned the design.

Yeah, Wacky Workbench is the only level that really make me wonder what the hell they were thinking. Way too annoying because of those damn bouncing floors.

Pachinko

wow what a bunch of whiny self-entitled babbies in this thread. so because you cannot just hold right and run consistently so that means the level design is terrible?

This is how I feel yes, I personally find about half of sonic CD's levels to be unfun because my ideal sonic levels are set up like sonic 2. Why make a game where the idea is to run really fast where you keep hitting springs that push you back or poorly placed enemies that damage you because you probably weren't ducking ?

Good level design in sonic especially means I should never EVER feel lost in a stage, I should ALWAYS know exactly where came from and where I need to be going next. This also carries over to the penalization concept, I'd rather the game kill me for failing a jump then cause me to redo a portion of the stage over and over again.

Sonic CD's stages are filled to the brim with idiotic and frustrating elements like what I just mentioned.

I enjoy the music though. It's just, so many people hype this entry to be the best game in the series and it's simply not at all. Even sonic 3 + Knuckles never frustrated me like this.

I can even say that it its probably a case of me not wanting to play the game the way it was likely intended. Most of sonic 1, 2 and 3 AND knuckles all work faily similar, very little in the way of puzzle elements, it's always been about moving as quickly as possible from A to B and A was always the left of the map with B being somewhere along the right of the map, the higher you go through the level the harder it gets. Some small exceptions obviously, sonic 2 DOES have the oil ocean level which is kind of maze like and filled with a few collision errors but STILL, more enjoyable then sonic CD. Sonic CD kind of turns the Left to right gameplay on it's side a bit, it wants you to play through the game a bit slower and more deliberately , calculating ever move and memorizing the best routes , making sure to go to the past and save the future in each area which requires you to search out a widget. The physics and such in the game feel much closer to Sonic 1 as well, which I never got into as much as sonic 2.

Sapiens

Sonic CD is a cool little deviation from the norm. I had a lot of fun with it. now bring on the other sonic games using Retro, SEGA!!!!!!

Yeah, Wacky Workbench is the only level that really make me wonder what the hell they were thinking. Way too annoying because of those damn bouncing floors.

The bouncing floors isn't Wacky Workbench problem, it just too linear. If anything Wacky Workbench to me is one the easier Zones in Sonic CD.

Christopher

This is how I feel yes, I personally find about half of sonic CD's levels to be unfun because my ideal sonic levels are set up like sonic 2. Why make a game where the idea is to run really fast where you keep hitting springs that push you back or poorly placed enemies that damage you because you probably weren't ducking ?

Good level design in sonic especially means I should never EVER feel lost in a stage, I should ALWAYS know exactly where came from and where I need to be going next. This also carries over to the penalization concept, I'd rather the game kill me for failing a jump then cause me to redo a portion of the stage over and over again.

Sonic CD's stages are filled to the brim with idiotic and frustrating elements like what I just mentioned.

I enjoy the music though. It's just, so many people hype this entry to be the best game in the series and it's simply not at all. Even sonic 3 + Knuckles never frustrated me like this.

I can even say that it its probably a case of me not wanting to play the game the way it was likely intended. Most of sonic 1, 2 and 3 AND knuckles all work faily similar, very little in the way of puzzle elements, it's always been about moving as quickly as possible from A to B and A was always the left of the map with B being somewhere along the right of the map, the higher you go through the level the harder it gets. Some small exceptions obviously, sonic 2 DOES have the oil ocean level which is kind of maze like and filled with a few collision errors but STILL, more enjoyable then sonic CD. Sonic CD kind of turns the Left to right gameplay on it's side a bit, it wants you to play through the game a bit slower and more deliberately , calculating ever move and memorizing the best routes , making sure to go to the past and save the future in each area which requires you to search out a widget. The physics and such in the game feel much closer to Sonic 1 as well, which I never got into as much as sonic 2.

Have you even played sonic 3? How is marble garden angel island icecap death egg ect even remotely trying to get from point a to b the fastest? Sonic cd is awesome it combines te best of sonic exploration and zones for those who like to hold right and press the jump button a few times ...

I think this is a rough summary of several levels in Sonic 2 and S3&K, however like I previously said, Sonic CD is a much more expanded version of Sonic 1 in design terms. It's easy to immediately dismiss Sonic 1 as being a "fast" game amongst its Genesis peers based on its sales campaign. But, really, take a look at the Marble Zone. Is there any place in this stage to really haul ass? The entire level is based on patience and well timed jumps, quite a different experience from the high speed experience of Green Hill Zone and, well, the entirety of Sonic 2. The following level, Spring Yard, can most easily be compared to Sonic CD's Collision Chaos in its level design which I feel is even more innovative. The following levels, Labyrinth Zone and Scrap Brain are not what I would consider high speed treks either, but very linear and concentrated platform levels. This leaves us with Star Light Zone and Green Hill zones being the only true linear, high speed levels in Sonic 1, I personally feel.

Rlan

Got 200/200 for this now.

Currently I'm back home in Adelaide, Australia from being in another state for a few years. Going through all my Sonic stuff, I went and figured out which copies of Sonic CD I owned prior:

soniccd.jpg

I went on binges trying to get every version of each game I could. Gues I never got the Japanese version of the Mega CD original, though I see it's still pretty expensive.

Lijik

I never get people who say they get lost in a Sonic game. Ever.
It doesnt matter which game.
You start at the left. The goal is on the opposite end.

Its so simple.

And honestly, CD is way less frustrating than 2.
2 has bullshit like instadeath pits in bosses and Metropolis Zone. I can't just pick up 2 randomly and go through it. Too much bullshit I need to relearn.
Sonic CD I just pick up, play, and know the worst part is going to be relearning the Metal Sonic race they give you infinite lives for.
(and for the record - Chemical Plant Zone is shit. Its a hold direction to win Oops pits at the end Dimps-fest but without the trick systems that make the Dimps games engaging. Every zone in Sonic CD is better. Even Wacky Workbench.)

I just re-played through Sonic CD (JPN) for my Sega CD over the past hour. Outside of the incredible frustration Metallic Madness gave me, I am still not sure what the major complaints are about level design. It's not the fast and furious game that Sonic Generations is, but it's pretty fun. Even Wacky Workbench, a level I really used to hate as a kid, definitely had it's ups (no pun intended..)

So, I'm afraid I must agree with chinner.

Combichristoffersen

(and for the record - Chemical Plant Zone is shit. Its a hold direction to win Oops pits at the end Dimps-fest but without the trick systems that make the Dimps games engaging. Every zone in Sonic CD is better. Even Wacky Workbench.)

You're going to Hell for this.

Combichristoffersen

If you like Chemical Plant Zone, but hate Sonic 4 you're living a lie.

Sonic 4 has terrible music, terrible physics, terrible levels, terrible Sonic model, terrible bosses and terrible graphics. Chemical Plant doesn't really suffer from any of those as far as I'm concerned.

Lijik

Sonic 4 has terrible music, terrible physics, terrible levels, terrible Sonic model, terrible bosses and terrible graphics. Chemical Plant doesn't really suffer from any of those as far as I'm concerned.

I dunno man. Level design quality is about the same and the boss is the worst one in Sonic 2.

Combichristoffersen

I dunno man. Level design quality is about the same and the boss is the worst one in Sonic 2.

Nah, I'd say Aquatic Ruin is the worst boss. Or Wing Fortess, if only because he's so annoying. As for the level design, ymmv but Chemical Plant is one of my favourite Sonic levels. Despite the 'hold right to win' complaints :p

Pachinko

Yeah, I'm not denying that sonic CD is almost a "real" sonic 2. That's part of my problem with it in a way, I found sonic 1 to be a hard , occasionally annoying game. Sonic 2 was like perfection to me. I'm going to go ahead and say there's a 90% chance it's nostalgia talking but I think that's also what's making people ignore problems with sonic CD. You loved the game 20 years ago and still do.

I wanted very badly to get sonic CD but I was poor as a kid, asking for a 200 dollar attachment to a 150 dollar console AND a 70 dollar game was just a bit too much. I mean there are things I do enjoy about it, I just simply don't have the patience I did for dealing with frustration that I used to. Really , even as a kid I didn't have any patience.

I'll try and give the game another shot when I'm in a mood more likely to enjoy it but I still feel as though it's not some hallmark of the genre.

Top Bottom