• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic CD (Retro Engine) |OT| Where We're Going, We Don't Need Backbone

I'm playing with japanese soundtrack on my iPhone. WTF is with that "yaaayyy" in the Palmtree Panic song? This game is about Sonic's ultimate struggle to preventing the end of the world or entertaining at a children's birthday party? How ANYONE think the JP soundtrack is superior is beyond me

Sciz

I'm playing with japanese soundtrack on my iPhone. WTF is with that "yaaayyy" in the Palmtree Panic song? This game is about Sonic's ultimate struggle to preventing the end of the world or entertaining at a children's birthday party? How ANYONE think the JP soundtrack is superior is beyond me
Sorry dude but the JP soundtrack in this game is way too goofy. The U.S. Soundtrack does a perfect job setting the more serious and ominous tone that Sonic CD should have.

It's somewhat lost with the removal of the lyrics, but the entire theme of the JP music is to have confidence and believe in yourself. Sonic's got the skills, what's he have to worry about? Besides the US music making him more depressed and angsty than Shadow, that is.

geebee

Banned
Sorry dude but the JP soundtrack in this game is way too goofy. The U.S. Soundtrack does a perfect job setting the more serious and ominous tone that Sonic CD should have.

I will have to agree. I always preferred the non-JP soundtrack to Sonic CG... because, well, it just "sounds" like the Sega CD if that makes any sense.. it's got that early 90's feel to it.

RagnarokX

It's somewhat lost with the removal of the lyrics, but the entire theme of the JP music is to have confidence and believe in yourself. Sonic's got the skills, what's he have to worry about? Besides the US music making him more depressed and angsty than Shadow, that is.

Wha? Sonic Boom is about confidence, too. If you're strong, you can fly, you can reach the other side of the rainbow. It's alright, take a chance, cuz there is no circumstance you can't handle when you use your mind.

Toot toot Sonic Warrior starts out with...

Excalibur -- It's not that far
What do ya make? -- Give and take
Goin' home -- Time zone
Check out Egg -- He's never alone
Leather and lace -- Kickin' his booty
What do you get? -- Say, fast jet
Doom room -- Cosmic zoom
Heads up, Jake -- It's Sonic Boom!

...um... wat?

Sonic Boom just takes the message from the rest of the song and turns it into something that actually sounds good.

iavi

In most cases I'm swearing off smartphone gaming within 5 minutes, but these touchscreen controls are actually kind of incredible. They're so damn responsive. I'm on Android--Evo4G. It's actually a bit sluggish at moments with this aging phone, but everything else runs perfectly.

It looks like Taxman did the mobile versions all by himself, whereas he had the help of a team on the console/PC? versions. There's no mention of Blit in the credits here.

Tailzo

Sonic CD is really excellent. The PSN version is just perfect. It looks great on my iphone too. (Although virtual d-pad is never good enough)

thirty

Banned
Just bought. Looks amazing. First time hearing the jp soundtrack. You guys do realize most of the US songs are just remixes right? I still like the US soundtrack better so far.

Man, the missing lyrics in the Japanese opening really is annoying. It kinda set the tone for me for the game. Oh well. Also, is there any way to remove the on screen control overlay? It's kinda in the way when playing it with a pad on my Asus Transformer.

Ahh, Sonic CD. One of my favorite games ever...and it's not out on the Japanese PSN for me today. Someone will pay for this. I only wish it could be me : (

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
This game is probably worse than I actually remember. Level design is utter shit.

I totally agree with you, it was always my least favourite Sonic game but I bought it anyway thinking it it could not have been as bad as I remember, but it is.

Excellent port though!

Fusebox

Banned
Amazing iOS port, looks and plays fantastic on iPad but damn do I feel bad at it, I'm really having trouble getting my flow on. Lots of hard stops in the level design.

Sciz

Wha? Sonic Boom is about confidence, too.

It doesn't carry through to the rest of the music the way the JP themes do, though. The JP music is much more upbeat and positive in tone across the board, even in the future, even in the boss theme where the vocals are cheering on Eggman. And that's not getting into Metallic Madness, which starts actively encouraging and/or taunting the player to do better. The US music isn't nearly so consistent (which is in part because Nilsen outsourced some of the work).

You guys do realize most of the US songs are just remixes right?
Er. What?

Yeeeeeeah

You do know Sonic Team didn't make that port...right?

It says SONIC TEAM on the box I believe, and as no other developer is listed I'm going to assume two add two equals four, and that those incompetents at Sonic Team made STH Genesis GBA. Unless you can prove otherwise of course.

Pachael

Getting back to the main topic, this is so, so, perfect on the iPhone AND the iPad (bonus for Universal!). The only squib is the d-pad being a tad small on the iPhone for my thumb, but that's real minor.

Will certainly double dip when it comes to Steam/PC.

RagnarokX

It doesn't carry through to the rest of the music the way the JP themes do, though. The JP music is much more upbeat and positive in tone across the board, even in the future, even in the boss theme where the vocals are cheering on Eggman. And that's not getting into Metallic Madness, which starts actively encouraging and/or taunting the player to do better. The US music isn't nearly so consistent (which is in part because Nilsen outsourced some of the work).

Er. What?

I think both soundtracks are good.

US soundtrack has the better main theme and the Japanese soundtrack has generally better level themes. Neither version has a great boss theme (still better than Sonic 4 Robotnik the Clown)

I don't think the Japanese themes are much more upbeat, they're just more complex and some of them have nonsensical engrish lyrics :p

Tarin02543

Downloading demo as we speak, will definitely buy if it lives up to my expectations.

megacd II owner here, I might buy Daytona USA as well while I'm at it...time for a nineties revival this weekend :)

Well, my Android version is refusing to even start the download. Could it have something to do with the fact that I'm on 4.0.1? Galaxy Nexus here.

SmokyDave

Really impressed with the iOS port. Looks good, controls well. Sound is a little rough but then I'd imagine that's the case for all versions.

The iPhone version because my 360 isn't hooked up at the moment. What a mistake that was. I really need to find some way to disable the games section of the app store or something.

Why? Just controls?

Alphahawk

One thing I've always enjoyed about Sonic CD is the bosses. They just feel really different than anything else in the series. I kind of like the fact that in a couple cases they just take one hit to defeat, but getting that hit isn't easy. (I'm specificly thinking about Tidal Tempest here, although Collision Chaos is another that comes to mind. He might take a couple though)

It says SONIC TEAM on the box I believe, and as no other developer is listed I'm going to assume two add two equals four, and that those incompetents at Sonic Team made STH Genesis GBA. Unless you can prove otherwise of course.

Says Sonic Team on the box for all the Sonic Rush games, too. Infact, the only time the Dimps logo comes up in any of the games they made for Sega is during the end credits - you'd never know they were a part of those games, otherwise.

And, as stated, the only credits for Sonic 1 GBA are the original, unaltered credits for the Sega Genesis version of the game, plus a bunch of marketing/production guys listed in the manual.

If you're going to sit there and seriously tell me that YU2 (as in, Yuji Naka) coded Sonic 1 GBA as the credits purport, I'm just going to laugh at you.

For those curious, Tails does NOT do the "I'm outta here!" suicide at 3 minutes of inattention, but Sonic still does. I'm pretty sure Amy doesn't show up for Tails in the first level either, haven't played past that as him.
I wonder what will happen in collision chaos and stardust speedway *please be Sonic*.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Hey, I too like the US track more than the JP track.

I wonder what will happen in collision chaos and stardust speedway *please be Sonic*.

Streamed the whole game as Tails a couple hours ago.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/19155204

Nothing. No intro, no ending, no Amy to be found anywhere. When you finish the race against Metal, it's just a regular boss capsule you destroy. Nobody comes out to meet Tails after beating the final boss, either.

Also, apparently when you play as Tails you aren't allowed to get any achievements, so for those of you expecting Tails to make the "Destroy all Robot Generators and Metal Sonic Holograms" achievement easier... think again. :p

wrowa

Bought it, and it controls really well, definitely worth it.

However, I don't get the game at all. It's the first time I'm playing Sonic CD and I don't know what the past and future signs mean, and it's like the game changes times at random. I can play it just fine, but I clearly have the feeling that I'm missing an important part of the game :x

First rule of sonic cd is not to rush, it's a more platform jumping experiance like sonic 1 was, if not even more so and nothing like sonic 2 at all.

Time travel is optional, when you go into the past you can find a hologram protector of metal sonic scaring away the animals on the planet, if you destroy it you free the wildlife in the present and future. Also in the past you can break the working robot generator which will kill all badniks in all times for that stage, it's just extra stuff like side mission things but this time you can earn an achievement for doing so in all acts.

It's been a while since I played this game and I remember never beating it for some reason.

I'm up to Stardust Speedway and I think I remember why. The level design is downright awful, I tell you what. Music is catchy as hell though.

All the hype in my childhood mind over the exposure of Metal Sonic in this game was completely squandered yesterday when I experienced the anticlimactic way you "beat" him.

Blueblur1

I'm having a great time with the game. I really appreciate the stellar work on this port and applaud Sega for working with Taxman. I just hope that Sega uses his engine for future games especially Sonic 4 Episode 2. With the Metal Sonic references and that redone Future Signpost appearing in the Sonic CD launch trailer, it's pretty much confirmed to be Sonic CD 2 and it would be a shame to see it control like Episode 1.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
iOS version looks very crisp on a retina display, and controls are actually better then i expected but still need a little bit of getting used to.

edit:

andymcc

Banned
I don't think the Japanese themes are much more upbeat

i do. i did a comparison stage by stage (first time i've done this in years!) and while i think the US one has pretty great music, i think the tempos are usually way too slow for a sonic game.

thirty

Banned
It doesn't carry through to the rest of the music the way the JP themes do, though. The JP music is much more upbeat and positive in tone across the board, even in the future, even in the boss theme where tehe vocals are cheering on Eggman. And that's not getting into Metallic Madness, which starts actively encouraging and/or taunting the player to do better. The US music isn't nearly so consistent (which is in part because Nilsen outsourced some of the work).

Er. What?
Pay more attention to the music. They may be mixed around but there are a lot of songs that are reworked. For instance the music for palmtree panic past in the US version is the same song from the present palmtree panic in the JP version. It's just slowed down and given a samba vibe in the us one. Here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRV9zxJrXpc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HahAsyw30kc

andymcc

Banned
i have a question: how exactly do you unlock the extras in the game? i've already beat the game once with the good ending, only think it unlocked was tails. how do you unlock the D.A. Garden and the other stuff?

Pay more attention to the music. They may be mixed around but there are a lot of songs that are reworked. For instance the music for palmtree panic past in the US version is the same song from the present palmtree panic in the JP version. It's just slowed down and given a samba vibe in the us one. Here.
Huh, I thought the past tunes are the same for either version as they're not redblock audio but rather done internally by the sound processor so required more work to change (its not straight tracks replace 3-30).

Unless you were going with the whole JP version doesn't have slow tracks point.

Top Bottom