• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic CD (Retro Engine) |OT| Where We're Going, We Don't Need Backbone

GhaleonEB

How do I find this on the 360? I've spent 10 minutes trying to find Arcade games on the new Marketplace layout, and can't find it anywhere. I hate the new dashboard so much. :\

Edit: found it. Getting an error message, Status Code 80150101, when I try to purchase.

How do I find this on the 360? I've spent 10 minutes trying to find Arcade games on the new Marketplace layout, and can't find it anywhere. I hate the new dashboard so much. :\

Edit: found it. Getting an error message, Status Code 80150101, when I try to purchase.

If you are at a PC or full browser capable smartphone try the marketplace online. http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/P...802584111f1?downloadType=GameVideo&noSplash=1

Maybe it will get you around the error you are experiencing.

GhaleonEB

God, it's horrible. Look for 'game types' with a jumping girl. Then pick 'arcade.'
Thanks. I wasn't even sure what I did to get there, we took to cycling through all the panels. So sad it's been buried like that.
If you are at a PC or full browser capable smartphone try the marketplace online. http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/P...802584111f1?downloadType=GameVideo&noSplash=1

Maybe it will get you around the error you are experiencing.

Thanks for the link. Alas,

"Your purchase cannot be completed at this time. Please try again."

Ug. Xbox support here I come.

Who did, then?

Nobody is listed as having ported it. The GBA version displays the original credits from Sonic 1, and the manual just names a bunch of producers and marketing executives. No coding/porting staff whatsoever.

It certainly wasn't Sonic Team, though. As mentioned, the GBA version's credits are just the guys who worked on the original Sonic 1, a number of which don't even work at Sega anymore.

Last time Sonic Team did a direct, in-house port job, as far as I'm aware, was Sonic Jam on the Sega Saturn. Everything else since then has been a Sega Genesis emulator and some ROMs in a console-friendly front-end.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano

Yeah, took me longer than it should have for me to find it. It wasn't under new releases either.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Orly. Any pics? :)
Did you make it...?

If so, it looks really awesome. I was using my Tales of Xillia theme up to the point where I downloaded it because the Sonic CD theme just looked so awesome. Love the background art and the icon choices. :D

Mama Robotnik said:
(2) This is the best thing to come out of Sega with the word "Sonic" in the title since Sonic Jam.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

There was once a time that the word "Sonic" was synonymous with 'quality'.

This is a quality product. I'm so glad they really put effort into this release.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
$6 for the US version? Maybe want. Never have played Sonic CD and it's always been elusive because Sega never included it in any of the collections I played, so it would be nice to FINALLY play it.

RagnarokX

No, terrible levels, sloppy feeling controls.
People should Just watch the Intro and Outro on Youtube.

I have only played Sonic CD once, and while I think the level design and bosses are not great, if supporting this results in Sega making more projects with this engine I will gladly buy it. Plus it's still a good game, just not as good as Sonic 2 and Sonic 3. $5 is a bargain.

Sophia

Nobody is listed as having ported it. The GBA version displays the original credits from Sonic 1, and the manual just names a bunch of producers and marketing executives. No coding/porting staff whatsoever.

It certainly wasn't Sonic Team, though. As mentioned, the GBA version's credits are just the guys who worked on the original Sonic 1, a number of which don't even work at Sega anymore.

Last time Sonic Team did a direct, in-house port job, as far as I'm aware, was Sonic Jam on the Sega Saturn. Everything else since then has been a Sega Genesis emulator and some ROMs in a console-friendly front-end.

Makes sense that nobody would be listed. I wouldn't want to be associated with that abomination either.

GhaleonEB

Hah. My credit card expired in November, forgot to update it in my Live profile. That'll do it.

Purchase incoming. I need to reward 1) releasing my favorite Sonic game on XBLA 2) for a good price and 3) not fucking it up.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Galaxy S2 version is broken... No sound/music coming out except for the intro video

Nvm i am an idiot. Game doesnt sound when kn vibrate mode. Lolz

Link Man

Banned
Gotta love how on Android, the store download is less than 1 MB, then in order to play the game the app has to download 200+ MB. Gotta keep those people from refunding!

m0dus, it's an awesome and funny theme. I like the choice of the Eggman "block list" icon.

Played through a game (Bad Future, I need to practice some of those later special stage again), then played through a little bit with Tails. All sorts of new sprites were drawn or edited for him, including dropping down the Palmtree Panic vertical loops the wrong way, which is awesome. Special stage sprite looked a little off, but those sprites always looked odd anyway.

It's really impossible to begin to describe the care and attention that went into this game. I keep noticing little aspects I forgot were in Sonic CD, but here they are accurately reproduced. The game handles excellently, with the only weirdness being able to launch Tails into the stratosphere when I started flying coming out of a vertical tube (it seriously took him about 15-20 seconds to come back on-screen), and I thought I noticed more of a tendency toward crush deaths, even when the cylinder was rising up, but then I remembered those plaguing me in Sonic CD to begin with, so can't fault him for being accurate.

Sonic CD isn't my favorite Sonic game to begin with, it's alright, but the level design is just all over the place, and by the end starts getting a little Dimps-ish with the spikes and "gotcha" traps, and there's tricks to time traveling in limited areas that aren't obvious and aren't explained to you, so you could carry a Past sign through a major portion of Metallic Madness and have no idea where you're supposed to get a run up. And the stages are filled with all sorts of useless little alcoves and dead ends with nothing inside, that may have some meaning in another time period, or may not. It looks great, and it still plays pretty well, so don't let my opinion discourage anyone looking to buy it, and honestly at $5 for the best presentation an iconic Sonic game has ever had, you can afford the gamble.

One small disappointment that I had was that the intro and ending still ran in sort of broken Gems speed. The main intro runs just a little too fast, and the Ending is WAY too slowed down. I guess Sega was trying to match the music back in Gems, and Taxman couldn't really touch the video mastering, but it was a little disappointing that it wasn't running smoothly. Maybe it had something to do with the Japanese version having sound effects overlayed over it?

Edit: Clarification, I realize the original Sega CD version ending ran at choppy-mc-slow framerate, but it's clear the video was drawn to animate faster than that. The parts when it "boxes in" on the other hand play a little too fast, like they did in Gems. Again, I don't blame Taxman for this.

Ranger X

I might be side-topic here but I needed to express some opinion on the graphic options of this game. Its just that hits a cord with me regarding some bizarre mentality some people have...

There's 3 options, "sharp", "smooth" and "nostalgia". Those a very fucking bad names. First off, "sharp" means "greasy" as it's the most violent filter and it pretty much destroy all the pixel art. Some people like it but this is not "sharp", it's the smoothest filter. "Smooth" is a good name for the second filter as it's just a little blur applied on the original graphics or a different upscaling technique giving a blurry look. Again, I'm not really a fan but it's a nice middle ground and most people will like.

But then there's "nostalgia". What the fuck is this name? lol. What's that supposed to mean? I will like this if I am nostalgic or what? Old graphics? It somehow sting my eyes like the name is pejorative or something. This option simply means "no filter". It's the graphics display exactly as they have been drawn. The exact original intention. Why not call this "true" or "sharp"? What the fuck is relation between nostalgia and wanting to see graphics exactly as they were created? I mean, it's not nostalgic people that should like this option but simply people that like 2D and pixel art and understand what's beautiful about it.

To me this option naming reeks because it's like it implies we need nostalgia to appreciate 2D graphic pixel art as it is. It's just an artstyle and therefore still relevant today...

Oh, and I forgot to add: the new music looping is so much better than it was before. You completely forget how segmented they used to sound.

And it sounded like there was some new guitar work on the ending of the credits version of "Sonic Boom," I guess to mix it up a little for the extended credits.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I really hoped they would remove the time travel loading screen or at least turn the volume way down. You could even skip the animation in the mega cd version (but the annoying sound still kept playing) but not in this one.

That was really my biggest pet peeve about SCD. Ah well.

I really hoped they would remove the time travel loading screen or at least turn the volume way down. You could even skip the animation in the mega cd version (but the annoying sound still kept playing) but not in this one.

That was really my biggest pet peeve about SCD. Ah well.

Imagine if it played this sound every time. That's what it originally was supposed to do.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Omfg, I need that Stardust Speedway theme. It's so fucking awesome. Please tell me it will be available in the US too!

TheOGB

Banned
Got up to Tidal Tempest on XBLA before double-dipping on Android Market

THIS SHIT IS GLORIOUS! Controls work pretty darn good, visuals and music is nice, THE FUCKING SPECIAL STAGES ARE PLAYABLE, 60FPS and errthang! THANK YOU BASED TAXMAN

Can't wait to triple dip on Steam :D

rozay

Banned
I don't doubt that Taxman could pull off the desert stage, but I am glad it wasn't included in the game. Looks too much like the Sonic 2 dust hill zone mockup to me.

I don't doubt that Taxman could pull off the desert stage, but I am glad it wasn't included in the game. Looks too much like the Sonic 2 dust hill zone mockup to me.

I think that was probably intentional. It looked good, but was never finished. Why not CD-ify it?

Vamphuntr

Is this really made by that one guy that had the game running on an Iphone on Youtube and wanted to pitch the project to Sega? Impressive if so.

Will definitely get the steam version.

Flink

I have been trying to download the data files on Android for HOURS now. It's stuck at like 12%. So annoyed :( Tried restarting phone, disconnecting and reconnecting wifi. Nothing.

Any advice?

clav

(9) "SEE YOU NEXT GAME" with its new meaning made me laugh out loud, what a charming touch that is.

Yeah. That gave me a laugh, too, as it's a total nod to that secret picture.

Beat the game with the good future ending + extra cutscene. "You're too cool!"

feelsgoodman.jpg

Now to find all the robot machines although I read you can't do that with Tails.

What's with the unlockables in the "Extras" menu?

I can't imagine this game playable on a mobile platform especially the special stages. Those stages are already so difficult with a controller with buttons.

The iPhone version because my 360 isn't hooked up at the moment. What a mistake that was. I really need to find some way to disable the games section of the app store or something.

daycru

The iPhone version because my 360 isn't hooked up at the moment. What a mistake that was. I really need to find some way to disable the games section of the app store or something.
Tell me about it.

Something that says Dead Rising on it? I love Dead Rising! It's only a dollar, so whatever!

*deletes 30 seconds later*

Playing on XBLA, a masterpiece. Feel like I owe Taxman a favor, maybe he needs someone to help him move or a fence to be painted.

For those curious, Tails does NOT do the "I'm outta here!" suicide at 3 minutes of inattention, but Sonic still does. I'm pretty sure Amy doesn't show up for Tails in the first level either, haven't played past that as him.

Top Bottom