• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic CD (Retro Engine) |OT| Where We're Going, We Don't Need Backbone

andymcc

Banned
Huh, I thought the past tunes are the same for either version as they're not redblock audio but rather done internally by the sound processor so required more work to change (its not straight tracks replace 3-30).

this is correct. the past music is the same in ALL versions.

Took a long time to download the android data. I think the servers are getting hammered.

Finally got it installed, and happy to report that it works with the Xperia Play controls. Haven't played much though.

Anyone unable to download the rest of the data on android? Have refunded it for now as couldn't play it.

Put your phone near a stable wifi connection and just let it rip... it's taken about 30 minutes for me to reach 11% of that download. Complete load of shit and you can always bet on Sega screwing SOMETHING up, but it appears to be working if you just leave it there.

ToD_

Excuse me if it's been answered already, but is this $1.99 iOS price a sale that will expire anytime soon or the actual permanent price?

jtrov

It feels great to finally be able to play Sonic CD as it's the one Sonic game that I've always wanted to own, but never got a chance. So far I'm just loving how different in feels compared to 1-3&K. I'm loving the exploration of the levels so far and trying to pick up speed and finding the right spots to go back and forth in time is pretty damn cool. Also loving the style of the game and the music just helps enhance the experience, because it just seems to fit so well; i love it. Just having a great time overall playing this game and it's easily becoming one of my favorites in the series.

I do have one question though. If I missed one of the machines from the past in any act, am I screwed for the good ending? I missed one in Tidal Temptest, and in turn I had a pretty bad looking future when I got to the third act.

Just an awesome game so far. So glad I'm finally getting as chance to play through Sonic CD.

thirty

Banned
Wow I had no idea the past music wasn't redbook. Chip music? Seriously? Sounds better than anything genesis produced.

Epic Drop

Took a long time to download the android data. I think the servers are getting hammered.

Finally got it installed, and happy to report that it works with the Xperia Play controls. Haven't played much though.

I can't get the android data to start... I've been sitting at 0% for 15 minutes.

I'm a little nervous, as the Xperia Play has hardly any room at all for data storage on the phone, and the 250+ mb of data required is WAY more room than I have left. I'm guessing you were in the same boat? Did the additional data download to your SD card?

Awesome port. Fucking awesome.

Played through and knocked out all the robot teleporters and holograms for the good ending. Started a new game to do the time stones quickly.

So good.

Sciz

Wow I had no idea the past music wasn't redbook. Chip music? Seriously? Sounds better than anything genesis produced.

That's because it is better than anything the Genesis could produce. The Sega CD offered more sound channels than the basic Genesis and there's a fair amount of space dedicated to storing the samples that wouldn't be affordable on a cartridge. But yeah, PCM all the way. Sega of America either didn't have the source code available to make the changes or didn't want to bother, and consequently the US soundtrack doesn't have unique past mixes.

ckohler

Yep, all the Past stages were chip music. I remember taking the disc out of my Sega CD when in a Past stage and having the music continue to play. It was neat. Also, all the Past music would loop infinitely while the CD tracks would obviously have to end and start over (you could even hear the Sega CD drive head moving when it did, but this never happened on Past stages).

When they ported the game to Windows 95, they turned the Past tracks into true CD audio tracks rather than try to emulate the music chips.

i have a question: how exactly do you unlock the extras in the game? i've already beat the game once with the good ending, only think it unlocked was tails. how do you unlock the D.A. Garden and the other stuff?

If it's like the original game you unlock stuff depending on your total time in the Time Attack mode.

Pietepiet

Since there's no sprite rips for Tails' new sprites yet and I love his sprite when you start a Special Stage, I decided to take a few minutes at work and eyeball it from a screenshot:

Tails_CD.png

Probably off a couple pixels here and there, but close enough :)

MattyH

sega should get taxman to redo sonic 1 2 and 3 and S&K in the retro engine so we can all forget the shoddy backbone ports

btkadams

Since there's no sprite rips for Tails' new sprites yet and I love his sprite when you start a Special Stage, I decided to take a few minutes at work and eyeball it from a screenshot:

Tails_CD.png

Probably off a couple pixels here and there, but close enough :)

tails_groovin.gif

best tails

clav

sega should get taxman to redo sonic 1 2 and 3 and S&K in the retro engine so we can all forget the shoddy backbone ports

I bought one of the Sonic backbone ports (Sonic 1).

The only thing that redeems it is leaderboards.

Otherwise, wtf SEGA.

Sorry dude but the JP soundtrack in this game is way too goofy. The U.S. Soundtrack does a perfect job setting the more serious and ominous tone that Sonic CD should have.

You realize the JP/EU soundtrack variations fit with the past themes as opposed to the US version.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Why is this 1.99 on the app store? Are there in app purchases?

Oh boy, going for the good future has me hating the time travel gimmick, the real enemies in this game are future posts, a more intimidating foe than Unleashed's wasps, carnival night barrel and those exploding star things from metropolis zone.
You want a past post but keep running across future ones, if you make the grave error of stumbling into a future post you're likely to get sent into an automatic tube or spring sequence forcing you kicking and screaming into the future, i'd sooner have Sonic die than go into the future!
I was doing so much better with the special stages until I discovered that water shaves 10 seconds off your time limit, somehow this knowledge has made me worse at them.

Don't hesitate to pick up the iOS port, it's really great for the price. I'm thrilled that this probably means we'll be seeing widescreen remasters of Sonic 1 thru S&K. Such a great job on this port!

You realize the JP/EU soundtrack variations fit with the past themes as opposed to the US version.

I'm not sure what you mean. The past themes are the same in both the JP and US versions. Are you saying they don't match the Present themes? I just played Palmtree Panic U.S. version and the music between past and present matches fine.

I just feel the JP theme doesn't match the Cyberpunk/Felix the Cat vibe the game gives off whereas the American version fits like a glove.

Oh boy, going for the good future has me hating the time travel gimmick, the real enemies in this game are future posts, a more intimidating foe than Unleashed's wasps, carnival night barrel and those exploding star things from metropolis zone.
You want a past post but keep running across future ones, if you make the grave error of stumbling into a future post you're likely to get sent into an automatic tube or spring sequence forcing you kicking and screaming into the future, i'd sooner have Sonic die than go into the future!
Once you learn the levels you'll figure out the hot-spots. Like if you see two springs facing each other there's likely a Past post nearby. Some of them are even hidden like the bonus stage rings in Sonic 3+K.
At least if things go wrong it's less of a pain to restart since the game is saved at the beginning of each act instead of each zone.

Also when you hit twenty seconds in the bonus stage a special UFO appears. It stands still and always spawns in the same place. Destroying it gives you an extra 30 seconds IIRC.
If all else fails before time runs out you can just quit to the main menu and reload your save. It'll pop you right back at the bonus stage.

Once you learn the levels you'll figure out the hot-spots. Like if you see two springs facing each other there's likely a Past post nearby. Some of them are even hidden like the bonus stage rings in Sonic 3+K.

Also when you hit twenty seconds in the bonus stage a special UFO appears. It stands still and always spawns in the same place. Destroying it gives you an extra 30 seconds IIRC.
If all else fails before time runs out you can just quit to the main menu and reload your save. It'll pop you right back at the bonus stage.

I've noticed the extra UFO, it had me confused when I was told there was one left and I kept hitting the blue one, gaining time but not finishing the bonus stage, now that quitting to main menu trick, I can see that getting plenty of use so thank you very much.

rozay

Banned
I honestly have no problem buying this multiple times if it sends a message to Sega that they should give the older games this treatment as well. Double dipped on 360 and android, about to triple dip on iOS as well!

EDIT: also holy shit the exit to menu trick on special stages is so broken lol. Makes my life a lot easier, I'm fucking terrible at the later stages :(

Suairyu

Banned
And thus you have discovered the fundamental design flaw of Sonic CD! Someone needs to make an advice dog-style image along the lines of "Creates time-control feature/Does nothing of with it" for the developer or "Free travel between three time periods/Only go to the past" for the player.

Poor, poor design.

clav

I'm not sure what you mean. The past themes are the same in both the JP and US versions. Are you saying they don't match the Present themes? I just played Palmtree Panic U.S. version and the music between past and present matches fine.
Present and Future variations build off from the past themes in the JP/EU version.

You have to be tone deaf if you don't recognize that.

I was doing so much better with the special stages until I discovered that water shaves 10 seconds off your time limit, somehow this knowledge has made me worse at them.

Somehow the way they're marketing this game makes me think Sonic 4 Episode 2 will have time travel.

For better or worse.

Eric C

Yep all the past music was PCM not CD audio, Lunar 2's Sega CD music was PCM too.

Sega CD had 8 PCM channels, similar to the SNES's 8 ADPCM channels. But since Sega CD used CDs instead of cartridges, games had virtually unlimited amounts of space available for music.

iavi

And thus you have discovered the fundamental design flaw of Sonic CD! Someone needs to make an advice dog-style image along the lines of "Creates time-control feature/Does nothing of with it" for the developer or "Free travel between three time periods/Only go to the past" for the player.

Poor, poor design.
Yeah, there needed to be more than aesthetic incentive to make the player want to actually make it to the good future. You can go back into the past, break eggman's gear, finish the level in the past, and still get a good future after never having even seen it.

Yeah, there needed to be more than aesthetic incentive to make the player want to actually make it to the good future. You can go back into the past, break eggman's gear, finish the level in the past, and still get a good future after never having even seen it.
You see it in act 3.

clav

Good future makes some bosses easier.

Poor, poor design.
I can't help but agree, future is actually pointless for acts 1 and 2. It's like they had a good idea but it was only half baked but they decided to run with it anyway just because it was different. At least it doesn't have to load like the original apparently does, my distaste for loading mid game knows no bounds!

Somehow the way they're marketing this game makes me think Sonic 4 Episode 2 will have time travel.
Sonic 4 episode 1 style gameplay with time travel? Considering his horribly slow start up time for running, the close camera and enemies that love popping up out of nowhere in episode 1 I would probably never gain enough speed to time travel!

No thanks.

I like the bad future the way it is. Completely optional.

I'm also the kind of guy that will play through NiGHTs by running out of time and making the kids grab all the orbs.

Lijik

Took forever to download to my iphone last night so I went to bed and woke up and have been playing it off and on.
Got Tails and im gonna do a playthrough with him and the US soundtrack before going for the good ending with sonic.

At 2 dollars i feel like I /stole/ this game. Its an amazing port. Release it on steam already so i can buy it for me and my friendslist and shower you with money, Sega!

Edit- also im glad the port itself has jackshit to do with Sonic 4 despite the marketing

Suairyu

Banned
I'm also the kind of guy that will play through NiGHTs by running out of time and making the kids grab all the orbs.
Uuuuuugh. NiGHTS is an arcade-style score attack game. Not playing it in the way that grants the best score is just... well it's just wrong!

Luckily it isn't actually an arcade game so you get to play it how you want without throwing away coins, I guess.

Uuuuuugh. NiGHTS is an arcade-style score attack game. Not playing it in the way that grants the best score is just... well it's just wrong!

Nothing wrong with going for the worst score imo.

Seriously though that's what one of the things I like about Sonic CD. Not everything has a purpose.

ckohler

A couple of thoughts about the Future signs:

1) Typically, the Future signs could be a deliberate gameplay mechanic akin to a spike trap. Clearly, you wouldn't WANT to go into the bad future so sprinkling the level with Future signs is like peppering the level with spikes. You are meant to avoid them like any other hazard. Touch them and you risk visiting a bad future that contains more enemies and other hazards.

2) However, if you already traveled into the past and destroyed the Robot Generator, the Future signs are now a kind of reward. Use them and you're transported into a version of the zone completely free of enemies.

To summarize, the traveling into the Future might be unnecessary but from a design sense, they do make sense when looked at being both a hazard and a reward based on the circumstance.

Suairyu

Banned
To summarize, the traveling into the Future might be unnecessary but from a design sense, they do make sense when looked at being both a hazard and a reward based on the circumstance.
Or they could have actually made them have a point. So they wanted a plot device hunt through time, fine - actually make use of the four time variations in this hunt. Make you use the whole spectrum.

Also, time stones makes the time travel pointless in its entirety. You don't even need to plot device hunt if you just get all stones.

Traveling to a good future within act 1 and 2 still isn't a reward as the enemies are removed from all timezones the moment you destroy the generator in the past, at least it seemed that way in palmtree panic, in which case i'd just rather finish the stage than go through two future warps.

Eric C

Did anyone try the android version on the HP Touchpad?

That's my only android device, if it works ok I'll buy it on android too.

I'm kind of curious why the Android version insists on having everything downloaded at once and installed. It seems like a relatively easy way to keep the file size down and the servers less labored would be to break up the downloads into optional chunks: have people choose whether or not they download one soundtrack or the other (or both), and make the intro video optional. That would let people control the size of their phone installs much better.

I guess it might interfere with things like the sound test coding, but if you're never going to listen to one sound track or the other, or don't need the intro video always available...

Can anyone confirm the Android version plays nice with a USB or a BT gamepad? Want to buy but I can't stand touch controls for most games. My Thrive tablet has a USB port though, and playing NES on it has been pretty awesome.

Top Bottom