• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Colors |OT| of AWESOME! OUTSTANDING! AMAZING! CUBE! And Very High Reviews

Kard8p3

plufim said:
Wouldn't surprise me if they avoided saying "faster than a speeding bullet" to avoid trouble with the superman people. That phrase may well be trademarked.

If they would've said it it would've been on like donkey kong.

Foxix Von

Lijik said:
:lol Fantastic

Can't wait to get my goddamn hat tomorrow.

I've got to admit it's a pretty awesome hat, I've got it sitting next to my closet wearing my scribblenauts hat.

I've got to figure out how to wear them both at once.

Lijik

Foxix said:
I've got to admit it's a pretty awesome hat, I've got it sitting next to my closet wearing my scribblenauts hat.

I've got to figure out how to wear them both at once.

zaphod2.jpg

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Help :( I'm doing Aquatic Park act 4, and there's a bit near the end where
you're going down a big ramp (toward the camera) being chased by a huge bug thing with arms that swing across the path.
I'm sure it's something super obvious but it kills me every time, what am I doing wrong? No matter what side I move to it still seems to smash me.

plufim

When the crab gets close, use boost. You want to keep him far enough away that the claw swipe won't hit you. As for the lasers, you can see by looking at his head where he is going to shoot them and easily avoid them.

Ollie Pooch

Awesome, thanks. I'm sure I tried boost but in my eternal uncoordination probably did it wrong :D Will give it a go tonight!

plufim

Just make sure to start boosting as soon as his claw glows, don't wait for him to start swiping. If you wait too long, the boost won't be enough to get you away from him.

plufim

To get all the red coins in aquarium park you'll be replaying each level at least 3 times. Excellent level design.

edit: for anyone playing the last world, asteroid coaster, one thing to keep in mind: when crossing the big expanses by using the homing attack on asteroids, don't forget to also be pushing in the direction you want to go. There's a few divergent paths, and some of them may result in a plunge into infinity if you aren't nudging sonic in the direction of the next asteroid.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
plufim said:
Just make sure to start boosting as soon as his claw glows, don't wait for him to start swiping. If you wait too long, the boost won't be enough to get you away from him.
You can also just jump the swipes.

Teknoman

Nintendo really needs to make use of 24connect and just mail people when a new Nintendo Week releases.

EDIT: Its a shame that Colors uses badniks ALOT better than Sonic 4 ep.1.

That being said, wow at Starlight Carnival act 1.

Kard8p3

Teknoman said:
Nintendo really needs to make use of 24connect and just mail people when a new Nintendo Week releases.

Yeah but that wont happen. Hopefully that kind of thing is improved with the 3DS and their next home console.

Teknoman

Kard8p3 said:
Yeah but that wont happen. Hopefully that kind of thing is improved with the 3DS and their next home console.

Yeah, sucks that they really talked up the whole...being connected to the net even when the system was in sleep mode...yet never really used it for anything.

Just got home with it. :D

Came with the figurines and a blue classic controller. Dunno how good it is.

Edit: Feels really good actually. Has a turbo button too, not that I'll use it.

Boxart is really nice in person. So much better than the Unleashed rubbish.

Nishastra

Banned
riceandbeans said:
I had that problem. Didn't realize I could just jump it until playing the last Lift level. It made it slightly less fucking cheaper :lol
Yeah, I kept dying on the first encounter with it. When you don't have much boost, it's hard to time it right to avoid getting hit. Then, in the second one I had no boost at all and realized you can just jump, which is a hell of a lot easier :p

Got my shipping confirmation from Amazon earlier. Here's hoping it's on my doorstep early tomorrow. I've only seen a few screens... No video or music.
EXCITE!

I'm amazed at how good this game looks. Granted my plasma TV is some sort of god for Wii games, but this is just beautiful. 60fps would have been really nice but I can excuse SEGA for it simply because of how good everything looks. Super modelling, lovely art and colours and the backdrops are just phenomenal.

I've only played through Tropical Resort and already the soundtrack has astounded me. It's such an excellent track, perfect for the first act of a Sonic game, and I can't wait to see how the other songs in the game turn out.

As for the game itself, I'm only pulling out B rankings right now but the replay value here will just be insane. Various alternate paths (some that require wisps I don't have yet) the score system and the red coins will make this game last a long time, but I'd replay the stages anyway just for how fun they are. Granted some of them feel a bit short and unambitous compared to others, but for the most part they're really fun. Very nice balance between 3D and 2D sections. The jumping in the 2D sections is a little off, sometimes it feels like there's an invisible barrier around platforms so you think you're going to land on it but fall short, which can be annoying, but it's not a game-breaker by any means.

What really surprised me are the cutscenes. I'm assuming they get worse from here on because so far they've been more than tolerable - even enjoyable. Think about that for a second.

Kard8p3

_Alkaline_ said:
I'm amazed at how good this game looks. Granted my plasma TV is some sort of god for Wii games, but this is just beautiful. 60fps would have been really nice but I can excuse SEGA for it simply because of how good everything looks. Super modelling, lovely art and colours and the backdrops are just phenomenal.

I've only played through Tropical Resort and already the soundtrack has astounded me. It's such an excellent track, perfect for the first act of a Sonic game, and I can't wait to see how the other songs in the game turn out.

As for the game itself, I'm only pulling out B rankings right now but the replay value here will just be insane. Various alternate paths (some that require wisps I don't have yet) the score system and the red coins will make this game last a long time, but I'd replay the stages anyway just for how fun they are. Granted some of them feel a bit short and unambitous compared to others, but for the most part they're really fun. Very nice balance between 3D and 2D sections. The jumping in the 2D sections is a little off, sometimes it feels like there's an invisible barrier around platforms so you think you're going to land on it but fall short, which can be annoying, but it's not a game-breaker by any means.

What really surprised me are the cutscenes. I'm assuming they get worse from here on because so far they've been more than tolerable - even enjoyable. Think about that for a second.

I believe the guys that wrote MadWorld wrote this game so it doesn't surprise me.

Shadowlink said:
Which controller do people prefer when playing this?

I prefer Wiimote + Nunchuk. Didn't like the Wiimote-only controls. The d-pad control felt off and changing into wisps takes a hard shake from the controller.

Ollie Pooch

_Alkaline_ said:
I love how they use variations on the main track for different acts in a zone. Like how Act 4's music is different to Act 1's but using the same theme.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Incredible game. Packed with ideas, fantastic level design, I'm amazed :).

plufim

_Alkaline_ said:

This levels you think are short? Go back when you unlock more wisps, and they open right up.

As for the cutscene quality, there is no drop, some people just can't get over themselves and enjoy something goofy. I personally feel sorry for them.

julls said:
I love how they use variations on the main track for different acts in a zone. Like how Act 4's music is different to Act 1's but using the same theme.

I've always loved this about Sonic games since 3, and you're right, they did it exceptionally well. There were about 3 or 4 variations on the same theme for Tropical Resort and all were sublime.

plufim said:
This levels you think are short? Go back when you unlock more wisps, and they open right up.

As for the cutscene quality, there is no drop, some people just can't get over themselves and enjoy something goofy. I personally feel sorry for them.

They're legtimately funny. The voice acting is a huge improvement and the writing captures the saturday morning cartoon vibe very, very well. I normally detest any sort of voice acting or story in Sonic beyond the bare minimum, but this is changing my mind. As long as they keep it to Sonic and Tails - Knuckles I can bare and I enjoyed his role in 3 and Knuckles, but three is a crowd - Colours could really revitalise the story element of the series (not to mention everything else it gets right). Not all of the lines hit but for the most part this is a genuine improvement and good on SEGA for getting it right, despite how long it took.

I also really, really liked how the game chucks you straight into the first two acts. This was a terrific nod to the all games and is just a good design decision in general. More games need to do this.

Myriadis

I was just looking in a Sonic forum,checking their reactions for the game.Guess what I've read.:lol
I can't believe it.There was a guy who said that Sonic Colors is a complete cheap ripoff ,it's too hard,it's too short and Sega can't do a good Sonic game anymore.And the best thing,he never played that game.That's just...aargh!Unbelievable.
At least there are enough guys there who like it or are at least reasonable when it comes to negative points.

JRW

Shadowlink said:
Which controller do people prefer when playing this?

I prefer the wiimote only control the only downside is getting used to shaking it to activate a wisp, sometimes it doesnt seem to register. I had tried Gamecube controller at first which isnt bad but the controller wire length was a borderline issue on my setup.

Kard8p3

Foxix said:
Oh god I love these cut scenes.

Wait what the hell am I saying? Oh god. I can't believe this :lol

It's crazy isn't it. Who would've thought Sonic cut scenes could actually be enjoyable?

Lijik

Kard8p3 said:
It's crazy isn't it. Who would've thought Sonic cut scenes could actually be enjoyable?
I thought Knuckles about to commit seppuku in Black Knight was pretty funny personally.

Top Bottom