• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Colors |OT| of AWESOME! OUTSTANDING! AMAZING! CUBE! And Very High Reviews

JRW

Call me weird but I find the cut-scenes very cheesy,The only one Ive actually enjoyed so far is when Eggman gets annoyed at one of his robots for having a cowboy accent and demands a voice box replacement.

Kard8p3

JRW said:
Call me weird but I find the cut-scenes very cheesy,The only one Ive actually enjoyed so far is when Eggman gets annoyed at one of his robots for having a cowboy accent and demands a voice box replacement.

It's like a Saturday morning cartoon. It kind of embraces the cheesiness of it all and has fun with it. A whole lot better than trying to be super serious like some past games.

Hiltz

iiiiiunicorn said:
How's the 2-player mode? Is this a "girlfriend game?"

Based on reviews of the game, the general consensus is that the 2 player mode is terrible. However, I have not personally played the game yet.

Kard8p3

For some reason every time I see the speed sections of starlight carnival it makes me wish Sonic Team would take another shot at a new Nights game.

udivision

iiiiiunicorn said:
How's the 2-player mode? Is this a "girlfriend game?"
hsn6li.jpg

You are the girlfriend.

Meier

I guess I have to check this out. Is the consensus that the DS version is worth picking up in addition to the Wii version? I feel like I'd play that more to be honest.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Meier said:
I guess I have to check this out. Is the consensus that the DS version is worth picking up in addition to the Wii version? I feel like I'd play that more to be honest.

The DS version is extremely similar to the Rush titles. It's basically Rush 3. If you liked those games, get Colors DS.

Nishastra

Banned
JRW said:
Call me weird but I find the cut-scenes very cheesy
As has been noted, that's WHY they're good. The game doesn't take itself seriously and is better for it.

Incidentally, I love Sonic's need to talk to all of the bosses even though they don't respond much, how he eventually acknowledges that, and how Tails catches him talking to the broken bits of one after he's destroyed it :p

Foxix Von

Nishastra said:
As has been noted, that's WHY they're good. The game doesn't take itself seriously and is better for it.

Incidentally, I love Sonic's need to talk to all of the bosses even though they don't respond much, how he eventually acknowledges that, and how Tails catches him talking to the broken bits of one after he's destroyed it :p

Pretty much. It reminds me more of the cartoons I grew up with. It's just flat out whimsical and I find my self grinning through each one :lol

It also helps that the game is awesome too.

This is, quite possibly, the greatest Sonic game I've played in a long time. My only complaint is shaking the wiimote to use a power, but it's pretty much moot since Sega gave you the option to use Wiimote only, Wiimote + nunchuck, Classic Controller, AND Gamecube controller. Take note Retro, why isn't it like this in DKCR.

The levels are fun as hell, and the really short ones make me want to come back and explore with new Wisp powers. Laser power is a little weird to use, but everything else is perfect. I love the soundtrack so far (even the cheesy opening song), the cutscenes are generally hilarious, and the game is flat out fun. Plus 6 Acts per level and a boss is awesome.

Took you long enough Sega:D

JRW said:
I prefer the wiimote only control the only downside is getting used to shaking it to activate a wisp, sometimes it doesnt seem to register. I had tried Gamecube controller at first which isnt bad but the controller wire length was a borderline issue on my setup.
I guess I'm using the Gamecube controller since wire length isn't an issue for me. Can't wait to finally play this later. :D

MAZYORA

game is awesome so far. My only complaints is its hard to see sonic sometimes when it zooms out really far leading to miss platforms. Also the jump button could be more responsive.

Kard8p3

With the exception of one zone late in the game that has some cheap deaths (not as bad as some have said but they're still there) this game is great. If I could go back to my 6 year old self and show him this 3D sonic on a Nintendo system he'd flip out.

Once you beat this game you still have all the red rings to get which will unlock all 21 stages of the Sonic Simulator. Then after beating those levels it'll unlock one more thing that will make you want to play through all the levels again. Sure the game isn't perfect but it's still a great game (and not just by sonic standards.) Also when a game has a level like this it's easy to overlook some of the flaws.
Starlight Carnival Act 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjQPpWEXcOU

The music in that stage give me a bit of a genesis vibe without trying to completely mimic the sound like Sonic 4 did.

Wizpig

PhoenixSFT said:
This is, quite possibly, the greatest Sonic game I've played in a long time. My only complaint is shaking the wiimote to use a power, but it's pretty much moot since Sega gave you the option to use Wiimote only, Wiimote + nunchuck, Classic Controller, AND Gamecube controller. Take note Retro, why isn't it like this in DKCR.

The levels are fun as hell, and the really short ones make me want to come back and explore with new Wisp powers. Laser power is a little weird to use, but everything else is perfect. I love the soundtrack so far (even the cheesy opening song), the cutscenes are generally hilarious, and the game is flat out fun. Plus 6 Acts per level and a boss is awesome.

Took you long enough Sega:D
The Wiimote shake here doesn't work that well; you know how in Super Mario Galaxy 2 when you shake your hand it works EVERY time in a perfect way? apparently it's hard to map controls that well, because i feel that in Colours you need to shake the Wiimote for too long and too hard, especially if you play without the nunchuk; maybe they did this so that you wouldn't activate a wisp at the wrong time, but meh.

What's wrong about Donkey Kong CR? what are the controls there?

Wiimote, Wiimote + Nunchuk and...?

Kard8p3

Wizpig said:
The Wiimote shake here doesn't work that well; you know how in Super Mario Galaxy 2 when you shake your hand it works EVERY time in a perfect way? apparently it's hard to map controls that well, because i feel that in Colours you need to shake the Wiimote for too long and too hard, especially if you play without the nunchuk; maybe they did this so that you wouldn't activate a wisp at the wrong time, but meh.

What's wrong about Donkey Kong CR? what are the controls there?

Wiimote, Wiimote + Nunchuk and...?

That's it.

[Nintex]

Wizpig said:
Starlight Carnival Act 1... :lol :lol :lol

WHAT THE FUCK!

That was amazing
I remember when Sonic Team couldn't even get a single camera view right and in that level the camera does some crazy shit and Sonic flies and does 2D platforming and runs like he's in an acid trip. I really want to ask the Storybook Team how they managed to create both this gem and the turd that is Black Knight. :lol

Wizpig

Kard8p3 said:
That's it.
But wait.

This was in a news i read yesterday about DKCR

-Crazy stuff in worlds 6, 7, 8
- Will spend a lot of time if you want 100%
- A lot of 1-ups, but Craig says you’ll need them
- Can buy additional 1-ups
- Great music even though most probably won’t be as impressed as they were back with the SNES
- Craig doesn’t like the blow mechanic in the game, thinks it’s mostly unnecessary
- Only use it to uncover hidden items or blow out fire on an enemy
- DK can stomp the ground as well
- Can use the Wiimote without the nunchuck, Craig actually prefers it
- Craig was dying a lot more with the nunchuck
- Craig liked the mine cart levels
- Lots of old school references
- Mr. Game & Watch in the background of one of the levels
- Craig thinks the co-op is cool, but isn’t sure he’d like to use it in the later levels
- Use coins to buy extra lives, invincibility potion, or an extra heart
- If you jump on 3 enemies in a row, you get a coin, keep jumping on enemies to get additional coins
- Run button in the game when using the classic controller mode

Kard8p3

Wizpig said:
But wait.

This was in a news i read yesterday about DKCR

That was from the IGN Nintendo podcast. The person that took the notes got it wrong. Craig said when you hold the wiimote in the classic NES style there's a run button.

Wizpig

Kard8p3 said:
That was from the IGN Nintendo podcast. The person that took the notes got it wrong. Craig said when you hold the wiimote in the classic NES style there's a run button.
Damn.

And what's this about a run button? isn't the usual DKC-esque attack -> keep the attack button pressed -> run thing in?

Sorry for the OT.

Kard8p3

Wizpig said:
Damn.

And what's this about a run button? isn't the usual DKC-esque attack -> keep the attack button pressed -> run thing in?

Sorry for the OT.

Using the wiimote and nunchuk you just hold the analog stick all the way to the edge to run but with the wiimote you hold down a button to run.

Maron

I picked up the game and hat after school today. I was kinda worried there wouldn't be any left, but when I came by there were about 7 others still there.

Zomba13

Been playing more of this today. I'm really liking it. I don't think I'm liking it ass much as Unleashed's day levels yet but that's mostly because I was kinda shocked to find Unleashed's day levels so good and I was expecting to like this.
The music is really great, nice and upbeat. I'm also liking the cutscenes, they are a bit cheesy and goofy but that is what they were aiming for. Makes a nice change from the 'omg eggmanz gonna resurrect and ancient demon thing to conquer the world! And there's some weird hedgehog from the future trying to kill me!' drama nonsense the past few games have had. I've genuinely chuckled at a few bits too. Definitely the best 3D Sonic game yet. I can't wait to play some more, just finished the first act of the water world (which has underwater Sonic gameplay that is actually very enjoyable :eek: !)

Wizpig

The jump, by (recent) 3d Sonic standards, is definitely nice.
Heck, i'd say that platform sections are easier with THIS jump that with the Sonic Adventure 2 jump.

And this is thanks to the best addition to the Unleashed formula: the double jump.
Yeah, maybe your first jump will not be perfect and you are not perfectly above the platform... but you can double jump.

Honestly, once you get the hang of that, it feels pretty good for a Sonic game.

I'm not sure but i think this is better than the Sonic 4 jump.

Wizpig

Zomba13 said:
Been playing more of this today. I'm really liking it. I don't think I'm liking it ass much as Unleashed's day levels yet but that's mostly because I was kinda shocked to find Unleashed's day levels so good and I was expecting to like this.
The music is really great, nice and upbeat. I'm also liking the cutscenes, they are a bit cheesy and goofy but that is what they were aiming for. Makes a nice change from the 'omg eggmanz gonna resurrect and ancient demon thing to conquer the world! And there's some weird hedgehog from the future trying to kill me!' drama nonsense the past few games have had. I've genuinely chuckled at a few bits too. Definitely the best 3D Sonic game yet. I can't wait to play some more, just finished the first act of the water world (which has underwater Sonic gameplay that is actually very enjoyable :eek: !)
Oh, Sonic 2006... <3

I'm curious, when you say Unleashed day levels were better you talk about Wii Unleashed or 360 Unleashed?

I only played the 360 version, and while levels such as the chinese one were amazingly AWESOME aestethically... i think Colours is better gameplay-wise because it's not as fast.
And double-jump :)

And of course let us avoid talking about the night levels: i actually never finished Sonic Unleashed and that's the reason.

Boogiepop

Picked this up today, but I can't play it till Friday. At least I got the hat (which I found to be of surprisingly high quality), which I then decided to wear to a physics lecture on relativistic physics and antimatter :) The hat shall live on my disco ball for the rest of the week.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Dude, I am fucking LOVING this game!! I've been hooked for the last 2 hours already! The levels, the colors! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! :D :D :D :D

Only played 4 acts so far, but I'm loving it. You know, I always loved the Adventure games but for some reason, it never felt like they were what Sonic Team really wanted to do with the series in 3D. THIS feels exactly how I imagined a Sonic game would be in 3D before Adventure released. Really hope it doesn't start sucking later because I'm having a blast.

dvolovets

Picked the game up earlier today but can't play it because I have a bio test tomorrow. :( It's great to see all the positive impressions, though, seems like we finally have a return to form for Sonic.

Zomba13

Wizpig said:
I'm curious, when you say Unleashed day levels were better you talk about Wii Unleashed or 360 Unleashed?
Both. I found the 360 ones more fun than the Wii ones though but that was mostly because of it looking amazing and stuff. Didn't play all the Wii daytime levels though because it was my friends copy of the game and I could not stand all those werehog levels in the Wii one.

I really hope they keep future 3D Sonic titles in this style. Maybe add Tails and Knuckles as playable characters or something but all using the same stages (like Sonic 3).

Beaten Tropical Resort, Sweet Mountain, the first act of Starlight Carnival. And I want to go right back for more, damn.

I'm not even sure I should try to laundry list all of the things I like about the game. They spent a long time with the little details, far more than any 3D game before it, and it really shows.

If there's one, tiny grumble I have, it's that his 2D jumping is just a little odd, there's a little kick-up at the end if you hold down the button, even before you double-jump. So it feels like you triple-jump a bit, which is taking some getting used to.

The writing is great, I wish it was easier to hear Eggman's announcements. I know you can download them online, but it's just a shame hearing only parts of them as you're going through the level.

Kard8p3 said:

I kept looking for the Page 2 link. That was one hell of a short review.

RobbieNick

Been playing for the last few hours and I'm up to Planet Wisp. This game is incredible!! I've never seen this much platforming in a Sonic game. This game does owe a lot to the Mario series though. There are some bots that remind me of Lakitu and Thwomps.

JRW

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
If this game sucks, someone is getting their legs broke. :mad:

lol just give it some time, I was pretty thrown off by the 30fps rate at first (I just assumed it would be 60fps) and the control isnt perfect, but you get used to it (for the most part).

The game gets better as you go.

JRW said:
lol just give it some time, I was pretty thrown off by the 30fps rate at first (I just assumed it would be 60fps) and the control isnt perfect, but you get used to it (for the most part).

The game gets better as you go.

I'm up to starlight carnival now. The levels seem faster now so the jumping feels less awkward.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Alright, I've poured about four hours into it now, halfway through Aquatic Park (with Planet Wisp complete).

So, I was playing through the Tropical Resort stages. And I'll be honest, I was disappointed. Sure they were...fun, but they seemed simplistic and shallow, and more then a few of them were really short. I was like "huh. I thought it would be better then this"

Then I got to Sweet Mountain

Holy shit.

Now that's what I'm talking about.

Every stage in Sweet Mountain was absolutely ace. And I've been having a fantastic time since. Although I'll be honest, both Starlight Carnival and Tropical Resort seem a bit weak so far. Those beautiful parts of Starlight Carnival where you literally don't even need to hold down forward, you're essentially just watching a cinematic, don't really do it for me.

Two things I've noticed that caused me huge frustration early on:

Boosting: its not like in Unleashed. I was getting annoyed because I was used to one tap of the boost button getting me through four or five enemies, and here it just ploughs through one. I thought I was missing some other move, but seems I was just doing it wrong and you have to hold down boost.

Jumping: contrary to the instincts that Mario Galaxy gave me, do not double jump every time automatically. So many of my frustrating bottomless pit deaths were double jumping for platforming precision, but when I stopped everything got easier. As best as I can lay it out:
Galaxy: first jump is to get you in the air, spin jump is to give you the maneuverability you need to be precise.
Colors: first jump already gives you the height and maneuverability to get where you need, the second jump is an emergency recovery or extra height. Using it Galaxy style leads to stupid deaths as you misjudge momentum.

racerx77

Banned
So (I don't have the game yet), for those who have the game, aside from resolution, how do the graphics compare with the 360/ ps3 versions of unleashed?

The_Technomancer said:
Boosting: its not like in Unleashed. I was getting annoyed because I was used to one tap of the boost button getting me through four or five enemies, and here it just ploughs through one. I thought I was missing some other move, but seems I was just doing it wrong and you have to hold down boost.
Did you play the Wii version of Unleashed or the HD version? The Colors boost is more like it is in HD Unleashed.

Top Bottom