• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Colors |OT| of AWESOME! OUTSTANDING! AMAZING! CUBE! And Very High Reviews

DeVeAn

Kard8p3 said:
What blows my mind is We've had an amazing 3D Mario, a great 3D Sonic, and what seems to be an amazing DKC game in the same year on the same console
Yeah, being someone who grew up on these games and them being all on the same console. Who would have guessed.

This game is amazing!

Some of these levels are blowing me away, not just the big ones, there are smaller levels that have a platforming hook to them. The wisps totally add the Mario feel to the game, this is a key element that has been missing from Sonic. Its wild to see actual platforming vareity in a 3D Sonic (which is actually mostly 2D).

Then there are the major levels that have so many paths, it will take many playthroughs to see them all. Like the best 3D Sonic levels when mastered the levels offer a big thrill. Yes the wisps slow things down a bit, so its not like Unleashed where everything is moving at 1000 mph constantly but its a welcome change, it offers exploration to the mix.

The only negatives I can find is that the bosses are kind of crappy. Also you will fly through this game, some levels are super short and there is no rhythm to when you will get a large one and when you get a small one. I find myself bouncing around new levels, old ones, that sonic arcade thingy.

Wizpig

Damn the DS version is amazing - and a totally different game.

No double jump, but that would be useless since this is Sonic Rush.
Wall jump works better.
Special stages w/ chaos emeralds!

And more.

Both versions are amazing... this time, Sonic is starring in a damn great game.

Nert

I've been playing for about an hour now, and I'm really impressed with the density of some of the levels. I didn't care for the cutscences all that much, but you can skip them, so it's hardly a problem. Sweet Mountain is great, and the Tropical Resort levels get much more interesting once you can go back to them with the powerups.

It feels so strange to be actively enjoying a 3D Sonic game :0

Man this game is sooo damn good.

It weird to be actively loving the cut scenes.
Maybe I'm easy to please, but I've actually laughed at the (admittedly cheesy) jokes.

This is so far my GOTY ( ...slow year for me but still).

Damn Sega, this is why I used to love you..

Holy crap at Challenge mode. You have to play every act of a world back to back to back and the score piles up into one world score. Imagine doing a perfect run on that. :D

Shizzlee

MiamiWesker said:
Holy crap at Challenge mode. You have to play every act of a world back to back to back and the score piles up into one world score. Imagine doing a perfect run on that. :D

I maxed my score out on Asteroid Coaster Act 1. It's very simple actually. Key thing is your ring bonus. You want to at least make it from the beginning of challenge mode to Asteroid Coaster without losing rings and you should be fine.

Don't watch if you don't want to be spoiled, obviously.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5 Maxed it out here. After Asteroid Coaster Act 1 I stopped giving a shit. :lol
Part 6
Part 7

RobbieNick

MiamiWesker said:

Brings back the old 16-Bit days where you played a whole game through one sitting.

RobbieNick

Just finished the main game and now it's Red Ring huntin' time!

I can't begin to say how much I love this game! It's not only Sonic's best 3-D games, it's one of his best games period!! I enjoyed it so much.

The Graphics - 10/10 This game is pushing the Wii's graphic capabilities to it's limit! There's so much going on screen at once and you still get a smooth 30 FPS framerate. Olus, Sonic's model and the cutscene models were taken straight from the HD version of Unleashed and it looks awesome. If I had the tiniest nitpick, it would be that Sonic's too small during the 2-D portions.

The Soundtrack - 9/10 The orchestral score is beautiful, the zone themes are some of the best I've ever heard and the sound quality alone is wonderful. Aquatic Park Act 1 is one of my favorite Sonic themes ever! This is one of, if not Sonic's best Soundtrack ever. On that note, the vocal songs were cheesier than usual and pretty horrible. They're so bad, they make me wish for Crush 40 back!:lol

The Gameplay - 9/10 Using the Unleashed style really helped make the gameplay incredibly fun. The imagination that went into these incredible levels were top notch. Due to each Wisp giving you a new path, they have tons of replayability. The Wisps were incredibly fun. Especially the Driill Wisp and Hover Wisp. The 2-D gameplay made this game feel more "Mario-like" than any previous Sonic games. It's a little less original, but a lot more fun than usual Sonic games. My main nitpick is that the Jumping feels a bit off. Doing long jumps is fine, but trying to do a double jump fells very odd. Also, the Purple Frenzy Wisp was hard to control in 3-D levels.

The Story/Cutscenes - 9/10 Although some lines were kinda cheesy, THIS is what I want to see out of a Sonic game! Good humour and great dialogue. It was funny to see Tails rib Sonic a few times and Sonic's cocky attitude toward the bosses reminded me of Bugs Bunny a little. Also, Eggman's announcements around the park are hilarious.

The voice acting is the best this series has had. Roger Craig Smith gives Sonic more attitude and emotion than I've heard since the days of Jaleel White. Also, Kate Higgins Tails is really well done.
When Tails was telling Sonic he was worried about Yacker, he had this really sad tone in his voice that kinda made me go "Awww."
Good Riddance 4-Kids cast.

OVERALL - 9.5/10 This Sonic game feels like it was made with me in mind. It has everything I've been asking for as of late. More focus on platforming than speed. A light-hearted, more funny story. Sonic has attitude again instead of being a little wuss. (No wishing for hankerchiefs so you can cry all you want.) Taking what worked in Unleashed and focusing on that. It's in my top 3 Sonic games of all time. Just below Sonic 3 and Knuckles and above Sonic 1. (Sonic 2 is still my top fave.)

Note to Sega - I WANT MORE OF THIS!! PLEASE! You finally got it right!!

Look out Mario, Sonic's entered your Galaxy.:D

Kard8p3

RobbieNick said:
Just finished the main game and now it's Red Ring huntin' time!

I can't begin to say how much I love this game! It's not only Sonic's best 3-D games, it's one of his best games period!! I enjoyed it so much.

The Graphics - 10/10 This game is pushing the Wii's graphic capabilities to it's limit! There's so much going on screen at once and you still get a smooth 30 FPS framerate. Olus, Sonic's model and the cutscene models were taken straight from the HD version of Unleashed and it looks awesome. If I had the tiniest nitpick, it would be that Sonic's too small during the 2-D portions.

The Soundtrack - 9/10 The orchestral score is beautiful, the zone themes are some of the best I've ever heard and the sound quality alone is wonderful. Aquatic Park Act 1 is one of my favorite Sonic themes ever! This is one of, if not Sonic's best Soundtrack ever. On that note, the vocal songs were cheesier than usual and pretty horrible. They're so bad, they make me wish for Crush 40 back!:lol

The Gameplay - 9/10 Using the Unleashed style really helped make the gameplay incredibly fun. The imagination that went into these incredible levels were top notch. Due to each Wisp giving you a new path, they have tons of replayability. The Wisps were incredibly fun. Especially the Driill Wisp and Hover Wisp. The 2-D gameplay made this game feel more "Mario-like" than any previous Sonic games. It's a little less original, but a lot more fun than usual Sonic games. My main nitpick is that the Jumping feels a bit off. Doing long jumps is fine, but trying to do a double jump fells very odd. Also, the Purple Frenzy Wisp was hard to control in 3-D levels.

The Story/Cutscenes - 9/10 Although some lines were kinda cheesy, THIS is what I want to see out of a Sonic game! Good humour and great dialogue. It was funny to see Tails rib Sonic a few times and Sonic's cocky attitude toward the bosses reminded me of Bugs Bunny a little. Also, Eggman's announcements around the park are hilarious.

The voice acting is the best this series has had. Roger Craig Smith gives Sonic more attitude and emotion than I've heard since the days of Jaleel White. Also, Kate Higgins Tails is really well done.
When Tails was telling Sonic he was worried about Yacker, he had this really sad tone in his voice that kinda made me go "Awww."
Good Riddance 4-Kids cast.

OVERALL - 9.5/10 This Sonic game feels like it was made with me in mind. It has everything I've been asking for as of late. More focus on platforming than speed. A light-hearted, more funny story. Sonic has attitude again instead of being a little wuss. (No wishing for hankerchiefs so you can cry all you want.) Taking what worked in Unleashed and focusing on that. It's in my top 3 Sonic games of all time. Just below Sonic 3 and Knuckles and above Sonic 1. (Sonic 2 is still my top fave.)

Note to Sega - I WANT MORE OF THIS!! PLEASE! You finally got it right!!

Look out Mario, Sonic's entered your Galaxy.:D

It's awesome to see a truly great 3D sonic. Do you think Sega will continue to work on the formula or do you think this is a one time thing?

TheOGB

Banned
Just finished it... It. Was. Excellent. Aquarium Park was probably the biggest surprise of the game for me, only because it was an entire world of water levels and it wasn't frustrating. I enjoyed the hell out of it, just like I did the rest of the game. Asteroid Coaster was definitely a bit of a challenge, but Act 4 alone makes the whole world forgivable. Even the squares that push you to your death.

Seriously, an entire level about being a dick to Motobugs?! That one level is all about being Sonic the Hedgehog! I fucking love it! (And I S-Ranked it)

Terminal Velocity... gotdamn I love that level's music. It made the whole thing easier to take, because it WAS pretty damn difficult. But it was so rewarding to finish. Then the final boss... it is hard, as a final boss should be. But once you figure it out after dying 3 times, it will be awesome. I won't spoil what comes after that, but it certainly ramps things up for the ending.

And so the story is over, but I'm still itching to plow through the stages with my new Wisp pals and get me some more Red Rings. The Sonic Simulator (oh god, I almost typed Stimulator :lol) stages are a fun little addicting time waster. Then I still have Challenge mode to check out, and the main levels are fun enough for me to want to play through them again to explore all the possible routes and such.

FINAL VERDICT: 9/10. I even brofisted Sonic on the game case. :lol

citizenkane.gif

Damn fine game you got here, Sonic Team, damn fine. NOW WHADDYA SAY WE WORK ON HAVING A LITTLE CONSISTENCY?!

EDIT: Just got kicked out of the living room, so now I'm left curious...
What's that sparkling star off to the right of Asteroid Coaster???

DR2K

Banned
I'm going to open the flood gates, besides DKCR and Epic Mickey(can't judge them) this is by far the best platformer of the year.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
DR2K said:
I'm going to open the flood gates, besides DKCR and Epic Mickey(can't judge them) this is by far the best platformer of the year.

TheOGB said:
No, unfortunately Super Mario Galaxy 2 also came out this year. :/
Yeah, I love Colors but its not quite that good. I'd place it second next to Galaxy.

plufim

While it is a point that can be argued as to which is best, it has to be said: fans of platformers are spoiled rotten this year. I can't think of a year this good to the genre in this or the last generation.

edit: it's probably obvious, but if anyone hasn't worked it out, you can get two hits on the final boss from every opportunity. The first is the obvious way, but then, when he is close after you damage him, do a jump and boost into his face (homing attack wont do it).

DR2K

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Yeah, I love Colors but its not quite that good. I'd place it second next to Galaxy.

I guess I'm just partial to Sonic gameplay, gosh. . . I haven't been able to say that for a long time.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
DR2K said:
I guess I'm just partial to Sonic gameplay, gosh. . . I haven't been able to say that for a long time.
Tweak the jumping just slightly and increase the number of involved, lengthy, explorable levels and we'd have a serious contender to Galaxy 2 for me.

plufim said:
While it is a point that can be argued as to which is best, it has to be said: fans of platformers are spoiled rotten this year. I can't think of a year this good to the genre in this or the last generation.

edit: it's probably obvious, but if anyone hasn't worked it out, you can get two hits on the final boss from every opportunity. The first is the obvious way, but then, when he is close after you damage him, do a jump and boost into his face (homing attack wont do it).
I was just pondering this lately.........also I am having a great time with this game, very fun :)

I am 4th place in Sweet Mountain Act 1, and I am the first place guy before the cheating scores start.

I am also 2nd place in 1-1 of the simulator and I am top 20 other various acts. I wish the ranking page wasn't such a pain in the ass. I bet a lot of people aren't uploading their scores.

I am having so much fun S ranking these levels, I forget that I still have three full worlds to do.

Nishastra

Banned
plufim said:
I thought it was odd that he hung around for a bit after you hit him, but I didn't think to try that...

Also, I like the sound of "boost into his face".

plufim

Nishastra said:
I thought it was odd that he hung around for a bit after you hit him, but I didn't think to try that...

Also, I like the sound of "boost into his face".
It is very satisfying to do, that's for sure.

Lijik

Just finished it. Its kind of late, and my heads still swimming so I'll do a write up later.
I'm just really impressed at how good the final boss fight was especially since the rest were just okay. I think the thing that stands out most for me is just how Sonic this game feels. Every 3d Sonic post-Adventure has a distinct realistic bent to the world (even the toonier Heroes) thats just not present here. Its like the game came from some alternate timeline of Sonic games.

Foxix Von

Lijik said:
Just finished it. Its kind of late, and my heads still swimming so I'll do a write up later.
I'm just really impressed at how good the final boss fight was especially since the rest were just okay. I think the thing that stands out most for me is just how Sonic this game feels. Every 3d Sonic post-Adventure has a distinct realistic bent to the world (even the toonier Heroes) thats just not present here. Its like the game came from some alternate timeline of Sonic games.

I think that explains how this game must have been produced. It's from some alternate timeline where Sonic and Mario switched rolls. This is some sort of weird flop/crap game in their timeline and it must have just bombed. In order to turn a profit they just sent it over to our timeline in order to recoup investment costs. It makes sense and it satisfies the Sonic cycle too! :lol

Finished up Planet Wisp (4 S rankings and 3 A rankings which is my best effort yet) and got a few more S rankings in Tropical Resort and Sweet Mountain.

Maybe it's just because the game is fresh and I'm in a good mood, but the only Sonic game that tops this for me is Sonic 3 and Kuckles.

Sonic Colours is so relentless entertaining that I'm in shock. The game is genuinely fun to play, which is more than I can say for most of Sonic's 3D ventures. It actually feels good. Not to say that it doesn't have a few awkward control quirks, but boy is it an improvement.

I think what's surprised me most is the sheer attention to detail. SEGA put a ridiculous amount of love into this game. The superb map screens, the various things you can do in menus and the grading sequence, cutscenes that are actually funny and enjoyable, music timed exactly right to match what's happening on screen...it's as if SEGA actually enjoyed making games again.

Planet Wisp is basically what I wanted from 3D Sonic all along. It's exhilarating and superbly composed, but it's also challenging, takes skill and forces the player to think outside the box. The 3D to 2D switches are virtually seamless and the overall vibe of the zone - from the outstanding musical score to the lush grass and vegetation - gives me a slight, but wonderful Green Hill feeling.

Nishastra

Banned
I have a lot of fun destoying my scores (literally), especially once I realized that there's always an extra life in there somewhere.

I also had entirely too much fun during the end credits, although spikes are pretty useless there. Cube wins :p

Lijik

Pureauthor said:
UNLIMITED COLOURS!

LASER!
DRILL!
SPIKES!
ROCKET!
CUBE!
HOVER!
FRENZY!

FINAL COLOUR BLASTER!

I love finishing moves like these.

I almost expected when you used the finisher you'd have to tap A to also get a round of
GOOD
GREAT
AWESOME
OUTSTANDING
AMAZING

Sciz

AniHawk said:
I've been playing the DS version and I'm kinda overwhelmed. I don't know where to start exploring these levels, actually.
They aren't quite as large, long, or complex as they seem at first (mostly). The big wisp signs hanging all over the place point out most of the major divergence points, and everything else is just a matter of poking around the corners.

The_Technomancer said:
Sweet Mountain has the most awesome map music I've heard...ever.

Personally Planet Wisp is my favourite so far, the melody that underlines the song is wonderful and the production is really smooth. They're all great though.

As soon as I click on Sweet Mountain and heard the map music I had a huge grin on my face. :D

Top Bottom