• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Colors |OT| of AWESOME! OUTSTANDING! AMAZING! CUBE! And Very High Reviews

I was in Best Buy today and saw this game had come in (there were only a few copies left, love the glossy cover).

My favorite Sonic-related sight however was seeing Sonic Riders, Unleashed, Secret Rings, and Black Knight all in a row on the discount shelf.

I wonder if they need to make more Sonic games for Wii

This game can be inconsistent sometimes. Usually, you can hold the slide button and sonic will indefinitely slide forward. I use this all the time to take out rows of enemies when I don't want to use my boost. However, if you're doing one of the quickstep sections, the rules change. He only slides for one second before standing up again, which drove me nuts on one of the planet wisp levels as I would slide through the first enemy in a line but not the second. Its also weird that they take away your boost during drift sections, UNLESS you jump into the air and then boost. Again, the game seems to have all these weird exceptional rules that aren't necessarily intuitive.

There are also times when the game literally takes control away from you during transitions within a level, even though sonic is grounded. You can approach these transitions super slow and all of a sudden the game goes into autopilot and drags you to a destination.

I still like the game very much, but it still has that typical lack of polish one can safely associate with Sonic Team.

Gram Negative Cocci said:
This game can be inconsistent sometimes. Usually, you can hold the slide button and sonic will indefinitely slide forward. I use this all the time to take out rows of enemies when I don't want to use my boost. However, if you're doing one of the quickstep sections, the rules change. He only slides for one second before standing up again, which drove me nuts on one of the planet wisp levels as I would slide through the first enemy in a line but not the second. Its also weird that they take away your boost during drift sections, UNLESS you jump into the air and then boost. Again, the game seems to have all these weird exceptional rules that aren't necessarily intuitive.

There are also times when the game literally takes control away from you during transitions within a level, even though sonic is grounded. You can approach these transitions super slow and all of a sudden the game goes into autopilot and drags you to a destination.

I still like the game very much, but it still has that typical lack of polish one can safely associate with Sonic Team.

Can definitely agree with this, as I've said before that game has some odd control quirks. They're all totally managable but you never feel quite as in control as you do with Mario, for instance. Not to say the Genesis games didn't have their control issues either, but there were certainly fewer of them.

Thankfully none of them render the game unplayable in any way, something that I'm pretty thankful for as I can still enjoy the hell out of the stages, the majority of which are really well designed and fun to play. There's a few underwhelming ones strewn throughout the game but even most of these open up once you've acquired all the wisps.

It's a bit odd actually, the game basically demands you replay it. If anyone just goes through the game act by act and refuses to replay stages, I can't imagine them being overly impressed. There will still be terrific stages of course but the game lacks flow - you get a couple of larger acts but the majority of them are surprisingly short first time round. The real meat of this game is going back to older stages, using your new wisps and mastering the level so that you can complete it without fault.

Articalys

So if you recall, Sega held an event for Sonic Colors in New York City on November 4. At the event, they had two huge banners advertising the game. They gave one of them away today on Twitter.

They sent the other one to Jim Sterling.

188123-header.jpg

Definitely need to buy this game this weekend.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
This soundtrack is so FUCKING GOOD. Now I'm stuck between this and Galaxy 2 for SotY. Not gonna be an easy choice.

Pseudo_Sam said:
This soundtrack is so FUCKING GOOD. Now I'm stuck between this and Galaxy 2 for SotY. Not gonna be an easy choice.

Looking at the SOTY thread, you can tell which people haven't played Colours. ;)

I wouldn't say it's the absolute best soundtrack this year but it would certainly come close. The Sonic franchise has had a good run in this regard, even 2006 had some good themes, but Colours blows any of the recent efforts (talking last fifteen years) away. It's right up there with the Genesis games for sure, in fact it's probably better given the variety and sheer quality of the instrumentation.

Zomba13

I think my faveourte zone so far is the Aquarium one. It has great music and underwater gameplay in a Sonic game that is actually fun! Using the drill underwater is great.

Luigiv

_Alkaline_ said:
I gotta admit I did find it odd though that Sonic is suddenly able to jump an infinite number of time underwater.
I personally found it to be a god send above anything else. Only took 19 years but Sega finally figure out that animals can actually swim in Water.

Bear

Wizpig said:
honestly, anyone who thinks Sonic 2006 is a bad game should try Sonic & the black knight.

I dunno about that. From what I've played of the two, I thought Sonic & Black Knight was...less bad. It sucked, but it was sort of tolerable in comparison to the stunningly bad Sonic 2006. At that point it doesn't really matter though, both were piss-poor games that are best left forgotten.

Luigiv said:
I personally found it to be a god send above anything else. Only took 19 years but Sega finally figure out that animals can actually swim in Water.
Sonic still can't swim, he just can apparently spin his way upwards now. Plus, Tails could always swim, and Knuckles too later on, and stuff. Sega knows. Sega knows...

Finally got the game. I've wasted hours without realizing it. There are some definite rough parts, and the controls took some getting used to, but it's the most fun I've had with a Sonic game in a long time. It does feel distinctly different though (more... Mario-y, I guess?), but if this is the direction Sega wants to take the series I'm all for it. I'm willing to bet the newer fans of the series are pissed off about it though.

Luigiv said:

Just feels a bit cheap to me.

I realise they allowed it so that they could have massive underwater sections which allowed the player to use the drill torpedo, but if they were to keep this ability in future games, any constricted underwater level design would basically be broken. Labyrinth Zone, Hydrocity Zone, Acquatic Ruin Zone, etc would all have been ruined by this ability.

In the context of this game I don't mind, mostly because it makes sense in terms of aiding gameplay, but I'm really just talking about its application to future games.

Got the game yesterday, played it all day. It's great. Controls were iffy at first but they are easy to get used to. Still hate how floaty Sonic's jump is, though. Currently on the elevator level and I have witnessed a few cheap deaths but not near as many as other 3D Sonic games.

This is without a doubt the best 3D Sonic game, and better than one of the classic Sonic games....I'll just leave it at that. :lol

Crumpet Trumpet said:
Got the game yesterday, played it all day. It's great. Controls were iffy at first but they are easy to get used to. Still hate how floaty Sonic's jump is, though. Currently on the elevator level and I have witnessed a few cheap deaths but not near as many as other 3D Sonic games.

This is without a doubt the best 3D Sonic game, and better than one of the classic Sonic games....I'll just leave it at that. :lol

No...go on.

Luigiv

_Alkaline_ said:
Labyrinth Zone, Hydrocity Zone, Acquatic Ruin Zone, etc would all have been indefinitely improved by this ability.
Fixed.

You know, some things just work better when broken.

Rlan

I do enjoy that it's "officially canon" that Sonic can't swim and hates water. I wouldn't have realized it from Labyrinth Zone as a kid, but the fact that he "sinks like a rock" is a great take from the gameplay of Sonic 1. I mean the Sonic X cartoon had him nearly drown in a pool because he couldn't swim, and the Mario & Sonic games have him weaing floaties during swimming events :lol

Luigiv

_Alkaline_ said:
It would have been like abusing the cape in SMW. It's easy, but it's also not very fun.
I agree it wouldn't be much fun but then again those zones weren't any fun to begin with. Personally I'd take bland over shitacular.

Luigiv said:
I agree it wouldn't be much fun but then again those zones weren't any fun to begin with. Personally I'd take bland over shitacular.

Oh please.

Hydrocity Zone was only second to Ice Cap in quality. An amazing combination of platforming and speed without any of the frustration or tedium that is seemingly inherent to water stages in gaming.

Aquatic Ruin was slightly forgettable but nothing in the way of shitacular. Labyrinth Zone can be argued over, personally I enjoy it but can completely understand those who don't.

1 out of 3 does not = shitacular.

Luigiv

_Alkaline_ said:
Oh please.

Hydrocity Zone was only second to Ice Cap in quality. An amazing combination of platforming and speed without any of the frustration or tedium that is seemingly inherent to water stages in gaming.

Aquatic Ruin was slightly forgettable but nothing in the way of shitacular. Labyrinth Zone can be argued over, personally I enjoy it but can completely understand those who don't.

1 out of 3 does not = shitacular.
Well I guess to be fair, Actually played Labyrinth Zone or Hydrocity Zone yet, but Aquatic ruins and the underwater segments of Chemical Plant Zone were terribly designed. Maybe shitacular was a bit harsh but I felt calling them frustrating would be giving them too much credit.

Phoenixus

Had the game for a few days, got up to Planet Wisp so far, but really, really loving it so far. :D

This is probably insanely obvious , but am I guessing right that the main 'interstellar amusement park' used to be Space Colony ARK?

RobbieNick

Rlan said:
I do enjoy that it's "officially canon" that Sonic can't swim and hates water. I wouldn't have realized it from Labyrinth Zone as a kid, but the fact that he "sinks like a rock" is a great take from the gameplay of Sonic 1. I mean the Sonic X cartoon had him nearly drown in a pool because he couldn't swim, and the Mario & Sonic games have him weaing floaties during swimming events :lol

I kinda agree. Taking that away is like taking away Sonic's only Kryptonite.

Blame it on low gravity?:D

Planet Wisp has a great vibe with involving gameplay that fits the control set up pretty well, much like Sweet Mountain. The Aquarium level is a bit of a step down from those two, but still has its moments and looks nice when mastered. Asteroid Coaster...dear lord, Asteroid Coaster...while not as bad as Starlight, it really isn't enjoyable at all. The actual coaster sections are pretty stupid and don't look all that nice to boot, and once you get out of the coaster it doesn't get much better. I think the music is also pretty catchy, but it isn't above what the other titles have offered lately. Good quality stuff.

Overall, it's another nice theme for the series to take, but the actual execution is still the same as it has been with every sonic game for the past few years. After getting into more of the levels, the only difference is that this one has the addition of more lackluster platforming sections which in turn does nothing but highlight the flawed control and lack of any real polish to the game. The presentation isn't as nice as Black Knight's, and since the story has returned to standard(and terrible) cutscenes, its pretty much useless. The stylized tellings with the other two story book entries are a much better fit for a subpar narrative since it gives it some sort of personality.

Eh...not my favorite game, but it's decent. Mechanically/functionality wise, it's equal to Rings, Black Knight, and Unleashed(sonic sections). The platforming just doesn't really equate to enjoyment with me, especially compared to other entries in the genre as of late. Great control and level design are what make platforming fun, and since this one lacks in both of those areas(while increasing the amount of it), it takes away from the good aspects of the game.

Ah well, back to Sweet Mountain and Planet Wisp.

Nert

Otrebor Nightmarecoat said:
Giantbomb liking a new generation Sonic game?!

*goes off to the quicklook

Jeff seems exasperated by the intro sequence, and seeing the word "epic" in a cutscene made them skip out of it instantly, but yeah, they're actually pretty positive on it. It's kind of a bummer that they didn't poke around beyond Tropical Resort, but Ryan in particular did seem to be digging it (especially the variations on the Tropical Resort theme).

Nert said:
Jeff seems exasperated by the intro sequence, and seeing the word "epic" in a cutscene made them skip out of it instantly, but yeah, they're actually pretty positive on it. It's kind of a bummer that they didn't poke around beyond Tropical Resort, but Ryan in particular did seem to be digging it (especially the variations on the Tropical Resort theme).

I would skip the cutscene too. I hate all story related things in Sonic, theyre embarrasing to watch. I just love the gameplay and the Sonic character until he starts to speak.

Kard8p3 said:
GT reviewer Mike Damiani defends his Sonic Colors review
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-134-invisible-walls/707697

It starts a little over 13 minutes in.

Wow, that was just sad. He claims you have to mash the jump button to jump off an edge or something, I have no clue what he is talking about. I can jump from tiny platform to the next tiny platform going almost full speed with no issues. The mashing of the stick to move side to side in the running sections, yeah the triggers were better in Unleashed for this but seriously, how hard is it to move the stick all the way to the right.

The rest of his complaints is the usual bullshit, 3D Sonic games play themselves, no they dont, they never have. They go into the stupid talk about how there are no good 3D Sonics, same crap I hear from people that will never give the series a chance. The score does make sense now.

TheOGB

Banned
Oh god

Stage 3 Frenzy = Purple Chaos 6 D:

Foxix said:
All I can say is that if anyone actually likes the song check out the band United State of Electronica.

Literally every song they produced sounds almost exactly like that.

It's great! Like some sort of infectious disco poison. :lol
Oh yeah, definitely. I liked that song you linked to earlier.

DeVeAn

I can't believe the whole panel on IW sat there and kept saying the controls were awful. The hell are they talking about? Then they call out comments to let people know that fans of said game are stupid? It seems like these guys don't have fun playing games anymore. Where is the passion?

I have never liked a Sonic game before (not even the classics, I was a SNES kid), do not own a Wii and can only play it at a friend, but after watching that Giant Bomb Quicklook I will go and buy this game ASAP.

It looks so GOOD. And the music is fucking outstanding. What the fuck happened here? Perfect fucking storm.

TimmiT said:
Giant Bomb did a quick look of this: http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-sonic-colors/17-3520/
Surprisingly, they like it.

Glad they like it, but Vinny (or is it Jeff that's playing) kind of sucks :lol . Maybe using the wiimote sideways is just harder than wiimote + nunchuk.

PounchEnvy said:
Mike Damiani's a user here so I wonder if he'd pop in to say anything more.

Sounded like he read other reviews and comments, so he's probably just grouping all fans of the game together and believing he's right even when some of the stuff he said is factually wrong. He probably wouldn't care to come in here and defend his view nor should he feel obligated to. It's annoying, but we can't change his experience with the game.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
YianGaruga said:
I have never liked a Sonic game before (not even the classics, I was a SNES kid), do not own a Wii and can only play it at a friend, but after watching that Giant Bomb Quicklook I will go and buy this game ASAP.

It looks so GOOD. And the music is fucking outstanding. What the fuck happened here? Perfect fucking storm.

I don't know, I just don't know.

Kard8p3

cosmicblizzard said:
Sounded like he read other reviews and comments, so he's probably just grouping all fans of the game together and believing he's right even when some of the stuff he said is factually wrong. He probably wouldn't care to come in here and defend his view nor should he feel obligated to. It's annoying, but we can't change his experience with the game.

Yeah I doubt TSA has even entered this topic so I doubt the thought of coming in here to defend his view probably hasn't occurred to him.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Has anyone played the DS version? Seems all the talk is about the Wii version.
DS Version is apparently Sonic Rush 3. basically.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Has anyone played the DS version? Seems all the talk is about the Wii version.
I've only played the demo, but I felt like a more cohesive game as far as implementation and whatnot. The theme and idea behind the wii version is awesome, but the execution of the DS one makes it a better game, technically speaking. That is, if the rest of the game is the same quality as the demo.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I like it a lot so far. Still prefer Unleashed HD at this point, but this is pretty great. Music has been disappointing thus far though.

Kard8p3 said:
Yeah I doubt TSA has even entered this topic so I doubt the thought of coming in here to defend his view probably hasn't occurred to him.

Nah, I've watched the reactions. The only thing that bugged me was the claim I didn't play a review build. Somebody already replied that's bogus, but I did want to re-iterate I played the final review code, and I did test out multiple retail copies from US and one UK version, and used multiple control types, and they all played the same, so conspiracy theories are a bit far fetched here. Other than that, I don't really have to defend my review and I stand by what I said.

I'll add that I liked Sonic 4 more than Colors, as blasphemous as you think that may be (I do not care the physics are not like old Sonic games, what matters most in my book is did you have fun). I also think Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles are overrated, and Sonic 2 is the best in the series. Every 3D Sonic game has made me almost snap the disc in half (Sonic 2006 and Unleashed actually evoked this reaction), but at GT, I've only reviewed Sonic Colors for Wii/DS, Sonic 4, and Sonic Chronicles.

Keep that in mind because I noticed people saying how did "I" give Unleashed a higher score. I wouldn't have given it that score, but then again, wasn't my review. Also, people whining about the level of "skill" in the videos - most of our video footage is first-time through, not second or third attempts when you've got everything memorized. I personally try to get in the best clips if I have time, but it wasn't the case here.

That did irk me the most, so take a look at this Sonic 4 clip that is all me, and I did this before the game was released (so no people to bounce strategies off of just yet for routes and such):
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/xbla-splash-sonic-4/706134

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
TSA said:
Also, people whining about the level of "skill" in the videos - most of our video footage is first-time through, not second or third attempts when you've got everything memorized.

Is that because you tended to only go through stages once, or you just chose not to use footage from the other attempts? I haven't touched Colors yet, but Unleashed's daytime stages got more fun the better you became at them. If you didn't replay stages, I could see how that might "color" your review (pun intended).

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
TSA said:
I'll add that I liked Sonic 4 more than Colors, as blasphemous as you think that may be (I do not care the physics are not like old Sonic games, what matters most in my book is did you have fun). I also think Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles are overrated, and Sonic 2 is the best in the series. Every 3D Sonic game has made me almost snap the disc in half (Sonic 2006 and Unleashed actually evoked this reaction), but at GT, I've only reviewed Sonic Colors for Wii/DS, Sonic 4, and Sonic Chronicles.
Hm, the biggest reason I disagree with you is because the same complaints about weird and floaty jumping can be easily levied against Sonic 4 as well (and indeed is my biggest problem with it) It seems that you got past and enjoyed Sonic 4 and a lot of us got past and enjoyed Colors. It takes time to learn new momentum rules, even if you grasped how 4 worked almost right away there had to be a period of experimentation there.

And at least in my experience the jumping in Colors is in no way broken, just weird. I've probably put seven hours into it, one playthrough and some going back and repeating, and I can handle precision platforming now easily. (The same thing happened with me with Sonic 4 to an extent)

Top Bottom