• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Colors |OT| of AWESOME! OUTSTANDING! AMAZING! CUBE! And Very High Reviews

DomLando said:
Has anything been said about a 360 or PS3 version?

"It's not like Sonic is exclusively for this platform, it's just that this game in particular (Sonic Colors) was made for this purpose. It's not like [Sonic Colours] wouldn't fit the PS3 or 360, actually this game would probably work with those core audiences, the more action audience as well." - Sonic Colours director, Takashi Iizuka

It's not likely. Just go with the Wii or DS version, as they're likely to be the only ones.

RobbieNick

Dunno if this counts for anything, but it's currently the #1 Wii game on Gamefaqs both in forum talk and wanted FAQS. Also, it the #5 wanted FAQ Overall and the #20 game overall.

Also, my local GameStop currently sold out of it.

Kard8p3

RobbieNick said:
Dunno if this counts for anything, but it's currently the #1 Wii game on Gamefaqs both in forum talk and wanted FAQS. Also, it the #5 wanted FAQ Overall and the #20 game overall.

Also, my local GameStop currently sold out of it.

Yeah it's sold out at my local GameStop too.

Finished the main story. :D

Asteroid Coaster was excellent. The other level after it kind of disappointing. Final boss was very well done, I wouldn't say the best Sonic final boss but not one of the worst.

I am wondering where are all the hard levels some reviews talked about? I never noticed a difficulty spike. I didn't find levels that had a bunch of random drops, maybe one or two but you quickly memorize it. I just see a well made game from top to bottom.

That said the way the levels are ordered feels so random. You never know when you are going to get a full level or one of these almost mini levels. It gives the game a sort of uneven feel. Also none of the levels are as epic as the main Unleashed levels, some come very close though. Thankfully the overall quality of the levels is always high, can't say the same for Unleashed.

I have a lot more red ring finding and S ranks to get too, now is when I will really sink my teeth into the game.

MiamiWesker said:
Finished the main story. :D

Asteroid Coaster was excellent. The other level after it kind of disappointing. Final boss was very well done, I wouldn't say the best Sonic final boss but not one of the worst.

I am wondering where are all the hard levels some reviews talked about? I never noticed a difficulty spike. I didn't find levels that had a bunch of random drops, maybe one or two but you quickly memorize it. I just see a well made game from top to bottom.

That said the way the levels are ordered feels so random. You never know when you are going to get a full level or one of these almost mini levels. It gives the game a sort of uneven feel. Also none of the levels are as epic as the main Unleashed levels, some come very close though. Thankfully the overall quality of the levels is always high, can't say the same for Unleashed.

I have a lot more red ring finding and S ranks to get too, now is when I will really sink my teeth into the game.

S ranking (and red coins) is definitely the meat of the game. The majority of stages are rather small which makes them initially a tad underwhelming at times, but replays do them huge favours. There's a lot of satisfaction to be gained mastering a level, and the great thing about Colours is that it feels so fun to play that (combined with the short length) makes them very, very replayable.

Colours lacks the bullshit of 2006 and the padding of Unleashed, and improves on them with a superior aesthetic and level design closer to the Genesis Sonics.

Foxix Von

Man, I just beat the game just before sitting down and watching Conan.

What a ride. Such a great game, what the heck is up with that GT review? I never experienced any cheap death as far as I could tell, or ever had any issues with this legendary trial and error gameplay. If I died it was pretty much always my fault and something I could have corrected and was broadcast to me in advance, I was usually just too stupid to see it. Like MiamiWesker said, I never really noticed any random difficulty spikes.

Also the ending song sounds a LOT like a United State of Electronica knock off song.

So much so I literally thought I was listening to some unreleased track they did, but I know no one has heard of them, so it couldn't be. haha

I liked it, though for comparison:

Ending tune: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N63qZfzDSZ8

Random U.S.E song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugaWcF8m4-w

Am I crazy? That sounds really similar, they have to be drawing influences here or something since that sounds like every song U.S.E has ever put out. :lol

DeVeAn

I really liked Sonic & Tails in this game. The story reminded me of Adventures of Sonic cartoon back in the 90's. Light hearty and not too cheesy. Please SEGA keep all future story telling in this fashion. I think the new voice for Sonic is actually really good once you hear it a bit.

For the new page.

I know the ranking system on the Wii is a pain, having to wait a minute just to see a tiny piece of the rankings. So I thought maybe make a small gaf leaderboard kind of thing.

Here is my friend code: 4469-7544-2280 my game name is dvader.

These are some of my scores and ranking as of last night on the levels I have tried to get an S rank on.

Tropical Resort Act 1 - 1428250 (Rank 11)
Tropical Resort Act 3 - 1693700 (11)
Sweet Mountain Act 1 - 1562000 (4)
Sweet Mountain Act 2 - 1444910 (7)
Sweet Mountain Act 4 - 931460 (15)
Starlight Carnival Act 1 - 1216350 (45)
Starlight Carnival Act 2 - 1033930 (8)
Starlight Carnival Act 4 - 1189720 (8)
Planet Wisp Act 3 - 1360800 (3)
Aquarium Park Act 2 - 640500 (5)
Game Land 1-1 - 360800 (2)
Game Land 1-2 - 918000 (1)

If you want give some scores and I can keep a leaderboard or something. Please no cheating scores, I see the top scorer on the leaderboards is breaking the game or something.

Rlan

More than likely this will be Wii and DS exclusive, but now that they've figured out how to make a good game, they'll make a sequel for Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii. Or whatever consoles are available for the next round. Give 'em two years.

Of course we've still got episodes of Sonic 4 to be had, which unless they drastically change things around won't be much good. Bit sad really.

Plus we have this supposed "Sonic Anniversary", which is a compilation of the best levels from Sonic games over the past few years. How that'll go I've got no idea.

While late ports are kind of cool, they never really do well financially -- like a lot of the ports for PS3 early in its life (Bioshock for example). The hype is over, so nobody really cares.

Would love a sequel to S&SASR, but that'll probably never happen.

Rlan said:
Plus we have this supposed "Sonic Anniversary", which is a compilation of the best levels from Sonic games over the past few years. How that'll go I've got no idea.

I found it interesting that the Sonic Simulator was kind of like this, in some respects. They're not perfect recreations, but there's clear moments where you think, "Holy crap, this is that part from Scrap Brain" or Spring Yard or Green Hill. I think the first set of Sonic Simulator stages are all at least partially remakes of Sonic 1 levels.

Great idea. I'll chuck a couple of mine down. Keep in mind still very early days, loads of improvement to go yet. :D

Starlight Carnival Act 1 - 1656100
Starlight Carnival Act 2 - 1049400
Planet Wisp Act 1 - 1761400
Aquarium Park Act 2 - 687700

I have other S ranks but didn't write them down/thought they were a bit underwhelming. I'll put them up later though. Haven't completed the game yet - just finished Asteroid Coaster Act 1 (which is pretty fantastic).

Am I right in thinking that perhaps the score is more heavily influenced by wisp use than by time? Because my instinct is to finish levels are efficiently and quickly as possible whilst getting rings/red coins/bonuses. Technically one could just keep using wisps and rack their score up that way, no? I hope not.

Wizpig

God, did you guys read the Destructoid review for this?
Just when you thought Jim Sterling couldn't get any worse as a reviewer... (after Castlevania, Vanquish, etc.)

It's pretty pathethic.

I don't think the Wii version of Colors deserves any less than 8/10.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Wizpig said:
God, did you guys read the Destructoid review for this?
Just when you thought Jim Sterling couldn't get any worse as a reviewer... (after Castlevania, Vanquish, etc.)

It's pretty pathethic.

I don't think the Wii version of Colors deserves any less than 8/10.
8/10 is right about where I'd put it. Its a bit rough around the edges in places, but the core experience is amazing and most of it is polished to a mirror shine.

ShadiWulf

new interview with Iizuka.. sorta. It was just posted today by gamereactor but it's from TGS

here is a quick summary

- came up with the concept of wisps by wanting to create a game with 100% Sonic gameplay

- Dev team likes alternate characters gameplay but Sonic fans wanted a Sonic game that was 100% Sonic

- Wanted to capitalize on bringing a mainstream title to the Mario and Sonic Audience

- Wants 3D Sonic to be experienced by different people on all gaming platforms (sorry Nintendo fans)

- Thinks that Sonic Colors is most like the old Sonic games because of its platforming and power-ups

http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/5613/...+Sonic+Colors/

Lijik

ShadiWulf said:
- Wants 3D Sonic to be experienced by different people on all gaming platforms (sorry Nintendo fans)
I don't understand.
Is that supposed to be directed at the nonexistent people in this thread who want Sonic Colors to stay on the Wii, or is it supposed to be directed at the nonexistent people in this thread who want 3D Sonic gameplay to stay on the Wii.

ShadiWulf said:
- Dev team likes alternate characters gameplay but Sonic fans wanted a Sonic game that was 100% Sonic

If you like different playstyles then go create a different game, and if you must stick different playable characters at least make sure the core of the gameplay is the same with only minor changes in gameplay to each character. (See: S3nK)

We don't want a Sonic game where the gameplay is like this, we want it to be the base template going forward.

Stuff like this makes me worried Colors is a one time fluke.

ShadiWulf

Diablohead said:
I don't have a good gif to answer that

did you guys forget about this quote?

Takashi Iizuka said:
We have two different worlds for Sonic games – one is human, and one is set on the non-human side. Sonic Colours is set on the non-human side. The only human in the game is Dr Eggman, who tries to build this huge amusement park which, as you will see on the world map, ties all these planets together with a tractor beam.

Silly mortals. Thinking the great god Iizuka is going to let you have Sonic games free of the human world!

http://www.game.co.uk/lowdown.aspx?lid=14213&cm_sp=SonicColours-_-Topnav-_-interview

Wizpig

I got Cream too.

Btw, it's fun to see every single time how Iizuka himself doesn't get the Sonic franchise too well.
I mean, you can't say Colors is like Genesis Sonic because of the powerups, come on.
These powerups are more "Mario" like, we aren't talking about shields.

I agree about the platforming though.

And i wouldn't mind Sonic's friends in the actual game, as long as it is good.
Some Sonic fans have to realize that this thing about having ONLY Sonic playable can get old fast.

After 2006 who decided to put every goddamn friend in, we had:

- Unleashed
- Colors
- Colors DS
- Sonic 4

I wouldn't mind having Knuckles or something in Sonic 4 episode 2.
Or Blaze in Colors DS.
Still, i was SURE that they were going to keep the Unleashed/Colors formula.
Will they get back to the Adventure/2006 formula? or something else? it's fine with me.

But let me say one thing... i hope the next Sonic game isn't something coming out on 284737 platforms like Unleashed:

Wii exclusive? great
360/Ps3 only? great

But if they start doing Wii/360/Ps3/DS/iPhone/N64/Ps2... Ubisoft-like... the quality of the game will probably suffer.

Articalys

Diablohead said:
I don't have a good gif to answer that
Thankfully, I do, it's Sonic related, and it's directed at Iizuka:
q7TcQ.gif

Anyway, I should probably go buy this over the weekend. Haven't played a console Sonic since Secret Rings and I'm feeling starved.

_Alkaline_ said:
Great idea. I'll chuck a couple of mine down. Keep in mind still very early days, loads of improvement to go yet. :D

Starlight Carnival Act 1 - 1656100
Starlight Carnival Act 2 - 1049400
Planet Wisp Act 1 - 1761400
Aquarium Park Act 2 - 687700

I have other S ranks but didn't write them down/thought they were a bit underwhelming. I'll put them up later though. Haven't completed the game yet - just finished Asteroid Coaster Act 1 (which is pretty fantastic).

Am I right in thinking that perhaps the score is more heavily influenced by wisp use than by time? Because my instinct is to finish levels are efficiently and quickly as possible whilst getting rings/red coins/bonuses. Technically one could just keep using wisps and rack their score up that way, no? I hope not.

Yeah the scoring system is mostly about wisp usage. I guess you can use some wisps like the drill for minutes on end racking up a score but at some point the points stop coming after too much use and there is a "time up" thing that comes up after you spend too much time on a level, all scoring stops after that.

I still think the best way for a top score is using as many wisps as possible but still maintain a good pace. Sure use a drill for the maximum duration but then move on, don't go back and get it again for more drill time.

There are some people that have broken the game or something, you can see in the leaderboards, not sure what they are doing.

This will be the Neogaf leaderboards, I will post just the highest score from each level. This is easier than using the wii leaderboards. I will show who has the score, what level and the score. Please only report excellent scores.

Tropical Resort Act 2 - 1428250 - Miamiwesker
Tropical Resort Act 3 - 1693700 - Miamiwesker
Sweet Mountain Act 1 - 1562000 - Miamiwesker
Sweet Mountain Act 2 - 1444910 - Miamiwesker
Sweet Mountain Act 4 - 931460 - Miamiwesker
Starlight Carnival Act 1 - 1857200 - Miamiwesker
Starlight Carnival Act 2 - 1049400 - Alkaline
Starlight Carnival Act 4 - 1189720 - Miamiwesker
Planet Wisp Act 1 - 2085900 - Miamiwesker
Planet Wisp Act 3 - 1360800 - Miamiwesker
Aquarium Park Act 2 - 694700 - Miamiwesker
Aquarium Park Act 3 - 2271500 - Miamiwesker
Game Land 1-1 - 360800 - Miamiwesker
Game Land 1-2 - 918000 - Miamiwesker
Game Land 3-1 - 884600 - Miamiwesker
Game Land 5-2 - 1012000 - Miamiwesker

Beat it. Great final boss and ending. Loved the
Infinite Colors attack.

So does anything happen when you S all missions and get all red coins?

cosmicblizzard said:
Beat it. Great final boss and ending. Loved the
Infinite Colors attack.

So does anything happen when you S all missions and get all red coins?
S rank =
nothing

Red rings =
all the simulator levels, which you can play to unlock chaos emeralds

Chaos Emeralds = SUPER SONIC

OMG Aero

I love the challenge mode in this game so much. It's great to have the option to just go through the levels in one go like in the old Sonic games.
I was really disappointed when an option like that wasn't in NSMB Wii.

Aaron Strife said:
S rank =
nothing

Red rings =
all the simulator levels, which you can play to unlock chaos emeralds

Chaos Emeralds = SUPER SONIC

Ah hell, guess I gotta get all the red rings. Oh well, I can't imagine it taking long.

Sciz said:
It picks a random name from a selection of every moderately significant character in the series dating back to SA1.
Please tell me you can reject them until you get a better one. I'd rather not get stuck with Big or fucking Cream.

- Dev team likes alternate characters gameplay
Proof, if ever it were needed that Sonic Team is the problem and not the fans.

dani_dc said:
For anyone that was in the fence for the game in the UK/Europe. Play has it for £17.99.
So so tempting. If I hadn't sworn off purchasing from Play.com ever again, I'd jump on that deal.

Fun game so far.

Complaints:

-Platforming is a bit simple

-Sonic's jump seems less than tactile (though this has been an issue throughout the franchises history for me)

-The first wisps controls are a bit wonky IMO

-Still too much of a focus on crazy camera angles and stuff during levels, which can end up getting in the flow of the game.

Definitely a step in the right direction though. It just needs a bit more platforming polish and less of the theatrical stuff during levels.

Lijik

Azure Phoenix said:
Please tell me you can reject them until you get a better one. I'd rather not get stuck with Big or fucking Cream.
Or you can just hit backspace and type in your name :lol

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I will say that the absolute weakest levels for me are the "blocks in a void platforming bite sized" ones, particularly the ones in Tropical Resort and Aquarium Park (although the one in Planet Wisp with all of the Cube is awesome).
That and the levels where you just randomly hit the goal ring after such a short time and it feels really jarring are my two biggest complaints with the game.

Wizpig

Is this really the same console where i played Sonic & The Black Knight?

Is this really the same team?

I just can't believe it.
This game is so good.

I'm a little pissed off that there are no
underwater sections in 3d, only 2d
, but how can you stay mad at a Sonic game that's actually fun to play...?

(Oh and am i the only one who can't really understand Eggman describing the planets when the cursor is on them? the music is loud.)

Lijik

Wizpig said:
Is this really the same console where i played Sonic & The Black Knight?

Is this really the same team?

You want to talk shock? Try playing through all two and a half hours of Black Knight for the first time the night before playing Colors.
I think thats the main reason I was so impressed with Tropical Resort which got a mild reception here.

Wizpig

Lijik said:
You want to talk shock? Try playing through all two and a half hours of Black Knight for the first time the night before playing Colors.
I think thats the main reason I was so impressed with Tropical Resort which got a mild reception here.
...and i still have to buy Secret Rings, but i don't think i'll actually do it now...

I liked Tropical Resort a lot too, by the way.

Black Knight was definitely terrible; i loved the music, but the fact that the main character has the worst gameplay (Blaze and Knuckles play better for example) and that i finished the main game in two days... honestly, anyone who thinks Sonic 2006 is a bad game should try Sonic & the black knight.
Oh and of course the wii remote in black knight felt extremely laggy/unresponsive, but you couldn't use another pad.

The remote feeling unresponsive is still a little bit in Colours, especially when you play Mario Galaxy where it just feels perfect... but it's not that big of an issue.
I just think you have to shake it WAY too much to actually activate a wisp.

TheOGB

Banned
Wizpig said:
The remote feeling unresponsive is still a little bit in Colours, especially when you play Mario Galaxy where it just feels perfect... but it's not that big of an issue.
I just think you have to shake it WAY too much to actually activate a wisp.
This is probably the only time in the game where the controls feel laggy.

Well that, and Sonic still takes a long ass time to turn the fuck around |:-/

Lijik

Wizpig said:
...and i still have to buy Secret Rings, but i don't think i'll actually do it now...
I recommend it, actually! I was playing through that for the first time as well a week ago. Theres some odd design decisions to be sure (the forced tutorial sucks, you unlock better handling as you go, you can't just equip a skillset after customizing it), but the actual game is fairly fun and shows a lot of creativity. Hell, the short missions you do in between each main stage tend to be more complex than the main stages in Black Knight. Go in expecting a successor to this and you should have a decent time.

Wizpig said:
honestly, anyone who thinks Sonic 2006 is a bad game should try Sonic & the black knight.
Seriously. Black Knight manages to be an awful game without any major glitches. So many of the stages are merely straight lines with enemies that you can waggle through or jump over its fucking unreal.

Sciz said:
It picks a random name from a selection of every moderately significant character in the series dating back to SA1.

I got Chaos. This game is really fun. I love the amount of content and the variety of the levels.

Lijik

So I've been dicking around while hunting for red rings, and one thing I've noticed is Sonic's sucky double jump actually works pretty well in the 3d sections despite the game never having a situation in which you'd use it in them :lol

Top Bottom