• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Colors |OT| of AWESOME! OUTSTANDING! AMAZING! CUBE! And Very High Reviews

SimonM7

I used to play with the GC controller too, but changed around some more and finally settled on wiimote/nunchuk which I agree is the best choice, ultimately.

GC controller feels great initially, but it's really awkward to jump while boosting, which comes in handy when you're going for time attack on Aquarium Park and wanna run on water/jump. It's also the worst one to do the sidestepping during quick step sections. The surface on the stick coupled with the "heavier" feel makes it extra clunky.

Sideways wiimote I found to be completely useless because there's no real 3D movement and using the B button to slide is super weird, especially if you use the stomp move a lot in conjunction with other moves, which is what I like to do. Movement during 2D platforming is probably the best with the dpad, but I don't find the tradeoff worth it.

Nunchuk and Wiimote combo has every button readily available with one finger on each at all times, making for the most fluid playstyle. The analogue stick on the nunchuk feels nicely loose and seems best calibrated to deal with the sidestep stuff, even though they probably remain the weakest part of the game. The only slight issue with this control style is that you need to shake the wiimote more than you'd prefer to get wisps to trigger, but this is the same issue as sideways wiimote, and when you get the right whip motion going, it's mostly alright. By the time you need split second timing on it you know the level so well that you come prepared though.

It continues to be a rediculously fun and addictive game. I've made feeble attempts to play Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, but keep somehow ending up playing this instead.

AniHawk said:
The start for Sweet Mountain's music fucking rocks. I swear, the presentation of this game is better than the game itself. Enjoying it regardless, but the music and the visuals have the right amount of style that seemed lost on recent Sonics (or having the right amount in the wrong places- looking at you, Sonic Unleashed).

That bit for Sweet Mountain Act 2 (and I think 5) where the chorus comes in always gets me.

This song, about a minute in.

Everytime I hear that song now though I just hear "DRILL!"

Wizpig

The Gamecube pad is, i think, the best choice.

Horizontal Wiimote sucks.

Classic Controller is good but no rumble feature.

Wiimote+Nunchuk is actually great but activating wisps sucks; if only it had been as responsive as Mario Galaxy 1/2 it would be the perfect choice, but as it is you have to "waggle" too much / too hard and activating wisps becomes annoying.

AniHawk said:
but the music and the visuals have the right amount of style that seemed lost on recent Sonics (or having the right amount in the wrong places- looking at you, Sonic Unleashed).
Absolutely, the presentation is fantastic.
But what some Sonic fans complain about is that the Colors style is not that of Sonic.

It's more "childish" and more Mario-like in worlds like Sweet Mountain. (and that's probably the best world in the game! hah!)

Still, i feel worlds like the first one or the last one (the rollercoaster one) are very much Sonic.

Alas, I also think that the Sonic game that managed to capture the 2d feeling better is probably Sonic Heroes... a game i don't like much.

I really like how the DS version of Sonic Colors lets you slow down and explore levels while searching for Red Star Rings.

But then you hit a level like Sweet Mountain and it does that Sonic Rush thing where you're blocked from backtracking because you're launched through a false floor or over a ridge you can't get back up from. It's like the game is saying "Oops, you went left instead of right and now the only way you can get back is by restarting the entire level over again and redoing the last three minutes."

I have to wonder why they do that. It's really not terribly difficult to give players ways to backtrack, in case they feel the need to. And in Sonic Colors, I definitely feel like I need to sometimes.

[Nintex]

I dunno, Sonic Colours DS is/was very dissapointing to me. Just like the other Rush games it's simply too fast, you can't keep track of what's going on or what direction on the D-Pad to push when you're running down loopings and boostpads and shit. The Wisps were pretty much useless when there's gimmicks like rockets and stuff in the levels themselves. Hit detection on 3D bosses was awful and the one with the underwater part was horribly designed. Overall too short and not nearly as good as the Wii version :(

TheOGB

Banned
So I found out you can freely switch between Red and Blue Sonic in Game Land yesterday. I don't know if it was a Classic Controller/GC Pad-only thing, but it's interesting to say the least. It actually saved my ass in 2-3 when I almost fell out of the water and died. :lol

I actually have little problem with shaking the remote to activate the wisps. Yes it does require a more substantial jerk than, say, the Galaxy games, but I think it's being overplayed here. Some of my best runs required pin-point timing with activating wisps (AP Act 2 in particular) and I barely noticed that I was doing it, so clearly it's not a big issue.

TheOGB

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
Sweet Mountain, Planet Wisp and Aquarium Park are definitely the best zones, from presentation to design.
Agreed. Almost said Starlight Carnival, but lolno. Act 1 maybe, but even that plays itself quite a bit.

Wizpig

TheOGB said:
Agreed. Almost said Starlight Carnival, but lolno. Act 1 maybe, but even that plays itself quite a bit.
Yeah it plays itself too much so it's not "top tier".
And this especially in act 1, I think.
It's still cool to watch it, but it's more like a cutscene.

Sweet Mountain and Aquarium Park.
And the first world is awesome too. and so is Planet Wisp.
Perfect.

Also since Planet Wisp and Aquarium Park are two of the "almost endgame" zones it shows you how terrible the Jim Sterling review was... saying that only the first worlds were somewhat good.

The game actually gets better and better... but unfortunately the Rollercoaster zone is not as good as some other ones.

Wizpig said:
The game actually gets better and better... but unfortunately the Rollercoaster zone is not as good as some other ones.

The Asteroid Coaster reminded me a bit of of the later levels of SA2.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay, I cannot for the life of me get the third red ring in Sweet Mountain Act 3. Its under those platforms, and I see the pink wisp that I could use to get it, also under platforms. But the platforms are over a bottomless pit...

I think Unleashed deserves some credit. Some of the day stages, whilst perhaps a bit convoluted, are pretty damn fun and exhilarating to play. I really like S-ranking in that game because it really rewards both skill and memorization and takes me back to old-school gaming.

That said, hub world in Sonic games suck, constant "whoo's" and "feelin good!" were grating, the game was overboard with speed at times making 3D control frustrating, and the werehog stages are just plain awful.

I think the peak of Unleashed's 3D stages are maybe a bit better than Colours (I really liked Jungle Joyride, though Aquarium Park Act 1 blew my mind), but Colours is a much more consistent product. It also features a superior aesthetic and better music. It's definitely the best 3D outing for Sonic, in fact the Genesis games would be proud of this effort. A lot of love went into Colours. It's as if SEGA enjoyed making games again.

The_Technomancer said:
Okay, I cannot for the life of me get the third red ring in Sweet Mountain Act 3. Its under those platforms, and I see the pink wisp that I could use to get it, also under platforms. But the platforms are over a bottomless pit...

There's a point farther back where you can get onto a moving platform, which will slowly make its way to the right. You'll have access to spikes the entire time, and have to rotate around the platform to avoid getting knocked off.

Teknoman

Aquarium Park Act 4, any reason why you cant jump to grab the laser wisp while that big badnik is chasing you? Its the section at the beginning.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Adam Blue said:
I like Sonic Colors. Such incredible music.

But is it odd for me to think that Unleashed was better?

I don't think it's odd to believe that the daytime levels in Unleashed are better than the levels in Colors, but as for the game as a whole? Sonic Colors is clearly superior.

I myself think Unleashed has higher highs, but Sonic Colors doesn't have ANY lows, while Unleashed is ripe with them.

_Alkaline_ said:
It also features a superior aesthetic and better music.

Everybody hyped the music in Colors to hell and back. But while the music in Colors is good, I think Unleashed still has tracks that are superior to anything in Colors. Namely Adabat's Jungle Joyride Day, Holoska's Cool Edge Day, and Mazuri's Savannah Citadel Day.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
ZealousD said:
I don't think it's odd to believe that the daytime levels in Unleashed are better than the levels in Colors, but as for the game as a whole? Sonic Colors is clearly superior.

I myself think Unleashed has higher highs, but Sonic Colors doesn't have ANY lows, while Unleashed is ripe with them.
I think that both the Colors stages and the Daytime Unleashed stages are fantastically fun in very very different ways. They're almost two entirely different gameplay styles. I'd be lying if I said that I didn't wish there were a couple pure Unleashed "speed-run" stages in Colors.

Teknoman said:
Aquarium Park Act 4, any reason why you cant jump to grab the laser wisp while that big badnik is chasing you? Its the section at the beginning.

I'll give you two hints. One you can't jump during that section no matter what, its a cutscene. So therefore, considering the only thing between the beginning of the level and that laser node is said cutscene, what area have you not checked prior to it?

At the beginning of the level, go left. There is a whole section of the level behind where you start

Wizpig said:
Yeah it plays itself too much so it's not "top tier".
And this especially in act 1, I think.
It's still cool to watch it, but it's more like a cutscene.

Sweet Mountain and Aquarium Park.
And the first world is awesome too. and so is Planet Wisp.
Perfect.

Also since Planet Wisp and Aquarium Park are two of the "almost endgame" zones it shows you how terrible the Jim Sterling review was... saying that only the first worlds were somewhat good.

I like some of the asteroid coaster zones. The only weak ones are still novel enough for me to appreciate. There's something awesome about racing motobugs on the rings of saturn, even if making progress in that level is kinda obtuse.

Useful tip for speedrunners , if you attack an enemy in the traditional way (jump on them while in a ball), you get a high bounce. This is a much higher bounce than what you would get after a homing attack. I find that in some levels you can get through an area quicker by using the high bounce to get to an out of reach ledge.

0 HP

the levels and music remind me of sonic cd (us) and the cutscenes remind me of aosth. it feels like they finally got the full package right.

edit: planet wisp feels like sonic cd i meant

and the aquarium park 1 music <333

ZealousD said:
Everybody hyped the music in Colors to hell and back. But while the music in Colors is good, I think Unleashed still has tracks that are superior to anything in Colors. Namely Adabat's Jungle Joyride Day, Holoska's Cool Edge Day, and Mazuri's Savannah Citadel Day.

Sonic has pretty much always had good music, it's one of the few things that has been retained (for the most part) from the glory days. Unleashed has some superb tracks that really and emphasise the fast day sections, but for me Colours has the melodic edge. Some will argue that the music is too bright - the best songs in the Genesis games tended to have a bit more grit to them - but for me it suits the tongue-in-cheek nature of both the game world and the story perfectly. Unlike Unleashed, it's not serious at all and the game is all the better for it.

Aquarium Park Act 1 is the best track in a Sonic game since Lava Reef Zone in 1994.

AniHawk

_Alkaline_ said:
Aquarium Park Act 1 is the best track in a Sonic game since Lava Reef Zone in 1994.

Aquarium Park Act 1 and Planet Wisp Act 1 are my favorite Sonic music pieces since the 16-bit era.

Haven't been playing it recently because I got the itch to play DKCR. Now that I've played DKCR, I really feel like playing Sonic some more.

AniHawk said:
Aquarium Park Act 1 and Planet Wisp Act 1 are my favorite Sonic music pieces since the 16-bit era.

The moment in Aquarium Park Act 1 when you exit out of the loop and it times with the melody, and when you can hear the grass underneath your feet behind the piano intro of Planet Wisp Act 1, are probably the highlights of this game as far as the experience goes.

Colours isn't nearly as complex or inventive as DKCR, Super Meat Boy or Galaxy but it certainly nails that special feeling of playing a game. It's such a well-composed experience. Things just flow and feel right when playing it.

DeVeAn

AniHawk said:

Haven't been playing it recently because I got the itch to play DKCR. Now that I've played DKCR, I really feel like playing Sonic some more.
My favorite tracks as well. Love Aquarium act 1 the most.

Wizpig

Adam Blue said:
But is it odd for me to think that Unleashed was better?
But... Day Unleashed is just boost spamming and homing attack... and Night Unleashed is shit... what.. why.. :(

A thing that i like better in Unleashed is the "map" :p i love actual overworlds to explore.

_Alkaline_ said:
Sonic has pretty much always had good music, it's one of the few things that has been retained (for the most part) from the glory days.

Indeed, even in Sonic's darkest hours the music has always been top notch - it's the one beacon of hope we've been able to cling to over the years. Personally I'd go one step further and say that Aquarium Park 1 is one of the best tracks ever to grace a Sonic game.

AniHawk

gaijin4koma2_peersblog_1200684608.jpg

zigg

Well, that pretty much settles which of the two I'm buying once I'm done with my current slate of games.

(will probably still play DKCR later, in part because there are a number of people who couldn't stand DKC, like me, who thought R was much more competent)

Nabs

zigg said:
Well, that pretty much settles which of the two I'm buying once I'm done with my current slate of games.

(will probably still play DKCR later, in part because there are a number of people who couldn't stand DKC, like me, who thought R was much more competent)

That would be a mistake

Azure J

You know, as much as I enjoy Aquarium Park's music, I don't understand the hype for it at times. All of Planet Wisp's and Sweet Mountain's themes crush pretty much everything musically in the game (all in my opinion of course), and then there's Terminal Velocity which seriously nails that "fuck yeah it's the home stretch and I feel like a goddamned badass" sound (so much so that I wished the part 2 to that theme were extended by a lot more). Now I'm hearing things like AP is the best track since Lava Reef zone (a god tier level musically from the series) and I'm thinking to myself, "am I listening to this right?" This actually reminds me a lot about my opinions on DKC2 here where everyone champions Stickerbrush Symphony but no one (or hardly anyone) sticks up for Kannon's Klaim. :lol

TheOGB

Banned
AzureJericho said:
You know, as much as I enjoy Aquarium Park's music, I don't understand the hype for it at times. All of Planet Wisp's and Sweet Mountain's themes crush pretty much everything musically in the game (all in my opinion of course), and then there's Terminal Velocity which seriously nails that "fuck yeah it's the home stretch and I feel like a goddamned badass" sound (so much so that I wished the part 2 to that theme were extended by a lot more). Now I'm hearing things like AP is the best track since Lava Reef zone (a god tier level musically from the series) and I'm thinking to myself, "am I listening to this right?" This actually reminds me a lot about my opinions on DKC2 here where everyone champions Stickerbrush Symphony but no one (or hardly anyone) sticks up for Kannon's Klaim. :lol
Fuck yeah

Looking back that's one of the only reasons I care for the level

AzureJericho said:

I'm one of those guys who thinks Life in the Mines is better than Aquatic Ambience, and the first time I played DKC2 I thought Kannon's Klaim and Forest Interlude were superior songs to Stickerbush (later on I would revise this slightly, I think Forest Interlude is something truly special though whilst Klaim's samples haven't held us quite as well). I'm not dictated by hype/praise as much as others.

But, yeah, Aquarium Park has me. The opening melody is infectious but once it hits the piano it reaches the amazing. Planet Wisp starts out amazing but doesn't quite peak as high as Aquarium Park does. I love both.

I cannot find the 4th coin in the very first level (Tropical Resort Act 1). I'm almost positive I've explored the entire level and I still can't find it.

TheOGB

Banned
Obsessed said:
I cannot find the 4th coin in the very first level (Tropical Resort Act 1). I'm almost positive I've explored the entire level and I still can't find it.
It's right after the third one (the one surrounded by balloons).
Drill around the three bombs right before the rail section (where you see the Earth-- err, Sonic's planet off to the left) and it'll show up after they've all exploded.

Obsessed said:

Dig and grab all of the rings near the final rail bit IIRC.

Top Bottom