• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Oreoleo

Managed to get all red rings in classic planet whisp. Thought it would be more of a drag than it was, I got all but one in my second run while managing to cut my time in half (12 min to 6, lulz). Thought the last ring would haunt me forever but it was located in the first minute of the level and then when I completed the level I got the S rank. Feels good man B)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Combichristoffersen said:
Haven't had the chance to play this in nearly a week, as I had to go away last Sunday due to having eye surgery at Monday (which meant I couldn't read, watch TV, use the Internet, play the vidya etc. for a few days). Do you get anything special for S-ranking everything, clearing all the challenges and all that? Some secret final boss or some sort of reward?
Aww, I hope you're doing okay. :(
I usually feel sensitive to people getting eye surgeries done due to personal experience (and because my boyfriend's legally blind so he used to have surgery often due to his glaucoma and another eye condition).

You do not get something special in-game for all of that. If you S-rank all the Acts, you'll get trophies/achievements. But please don't strain your eyes, okay? :)

Tizoc said:
Heh I'm actually watching it on YT and I think it's great, it helps that the gameplay clips they're showing are of good gameplay.
Would've liked for it to be longer though just so it covers more of the Sonic games, at least up til Advenutre 2 lol.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that, lol. I would have liked if they expanded on development of a few 3D games in the series, to be honest. Too bad half of the documentary felt like a repeat of the GameTap Retrospective, but at least it's nice to have consistent information across two documentaries + interviews with the composers of the series.

MIMIC

Banned
Question: After you get a red ring then die, are they still stocked up to the point of your last check or do you lose them completely?

Oreoleo

MIMIC said:
Question: After you get a red ring then die, are they still stocked up to the point of your last check or do you lose them completely?

I can't say with absolute certainty but I would be SHOCKED if it's the latter.

Throavium

MIMIC said:
If the ring is before the checkpoint, you keep the ring.

Ozone

MIMIC said:
If you die with a red ring before hitting a checkpoint, you have to re-collect it. After you get the checkpoint, it's saved until you clear the stage.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Dark Schala said:
Aww, I hope you're doing okay. :(
I usually feel sensitive to people getting eye surgeries done due to personal experience (and because my boyfriend's legally blind so he used to have surgery often due to his glaucoma and another eye condition).

I'm doing fine now, but the first 15 hours after the surgery were fairly miserable with my left eye aching and itching and being extremely sensitive to light (and since my eyesight on my right eye is completely fucked due to keratoconus I had no choice but to use my left eye.. At least I got to feel really goddamn goth by walking around inside with all the lights turned off while wearing dark sunglasses and listening to Inkubus Sukkubus). The surgery itself wasn't too bad, except for the part where my eye was illuminated with UV-A lights for 30 minutes (you can read more about cross link surgery as treatment for keratoconus here).

Anth0ny said:
See? This is why I prefer the Adventure games. Boost gameplay sucks.

Therefore Modern Sonic sucks.

Therefore get off my lawn you stupid kids.

Adventure 2 at least, but you can play Sonic Generations without boosting just fine, outside of competing for best times. Or I'll just boost on straightaways with enemies or whatever.

It would be awesome if they just made a new game with just Sonic Adventure 2 style Sonic stages, with multi-player racing. That's my dream 3D Sonic game.

Orellio said:
Managed to get all red rings in classic planet whisp. Thought it would be more of a drag than it was, I got all but one in my second run while managing to cut my time in half (12 min to 6, lulz). Thought the last ring would haunt me forever but it was located in the first minute of the level and then when I completed the level I got the S rank. Feels good man B)
Is there a better way to restart a level when ring hunting? Modern Green Hill Zone there is a ring the first 10 or so seconds in. I kept missing the jump and went to menu to start over and realized that I was killing off men by doing so.

Oreoleo

Dark Octave said:
Is there a better way to restart a level when ring hunting? Modern Green Hill Zone there is a ring the first 10 or so seconds in. I kept missing the jump and went to menu to start over and realized that I was killing off men by doing so.
Hah, I had to go through the same thing today as well and burned through 7 or 8 lives. I think the answer is no, unfortunately.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Combichristoffersen said:
I'm doing fine now, but the first 15 hours after the surgery were fairly miserable with my left eye aching and itching and being extremely sensitive to light (and since my eyesight on my right eye is completely fucked due to keratoconus I had no choice but to use my left eye.. At least I got to feel really goddamn goth by walking around inside with all the lights turned off while wearing dark sunglasses and listening to Inkubus Sukkubus). The surgery itself wasn't too bad, except for the part where my eye was illuminated with UV-A lights for 30 minutes (you can read more about cross link surgery as treatment for keratoconus here).
Aww... glad to know you're doing okay, though. But that still sucks. :(

That's why I'm so surprised when my boyfriend says he's so used to eye surgeries involving lasers or light or opening them for lengthy periods of time (he's had them quite often). I could never get used to that (I could go under the knife now to completely fix my left eye but I don't want to). I think eyes get more itchy than sore because you have to hold them open for so long. Just don't strain your eyes. :)

Mairu

Dark Octave said:
If you quit the level you don't lose any lives

AniHawk

ShockingAlberto said:
Oh my god I hate Vector's challenges so much

STOP POSING YOU ASSHOLE

YOU JUST THREW ME OFF A CLIFF

the modern vector challenge is the worst goddamn thing in the whole goddamn game.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
AniHawk said:
the modern vector challenge is the worst goddamn thing in the whole goddamn game.

Honestly, I hate Classic Sonic's Blaze challenge on Planet Wisp more.

But both are amazingly shitty.

Why is the bee character saved at planet wisp? would have been better to actually save a wisp creature instead and throw in another funny translation for sonic to mess up.

I know the story is lite in this game but still, having all 3 chaotix in this game is a bit too much imo.

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
I stopped playing for a bit because of that music note mission. Fucking Vector.
I finished that one in at least three tries.

It wasn't that bad as everyone is painting it. Just be quick with the homing attacks.

morningbus said:

brb, gonna go punch a sonic doll out of frustration.

sexual frustration.
Oh my.

Just finished the Shadow battle and I'm curious as to why it gets so much hate. I've seen posts saying they spent twenty minutes on it, but i just did it in 1:30. I'd say it's on par with with Metal Sonic and Death Egg Robot.

AwakenedCloud said:
Just finished the Shadow battle and I'm curious as to why it gets so much hate. I've seen posts saying they spent twenty minutes on it, but i just did it in 1:30. I'd say it's on par with with Metal Sonic and Death Egg Robot.

Probably because most people don't know what to do. They don't really explain it too well.

TheOGB

Banned
AwakenedCloud said:
Yeah, I just kinda figured it out by accident on the 2nd lap. Not too bad.
Though the bosses could be explained better (re: not "explaining the joke", but not "go figure it out, btw things are different kbye"). The intro, besides looking cool, should give a good hint as to what you're supposed to do if they're gonna continue to go that route with it.

So I only just now made the connection:
Sonic Boom goes with everything.

Phonomezer said:
Probably because most people don't know what to do. They don't really explain it too well.
Does it really need explaining though?!
There's a freaking giant icon on your screen the entire first phase indicating to get to a giant orb. After getting the first orb, you even get a gauge that says 'Charging'. After you get the second orb, they straight-up pause the fight and put text on the screen detailing EXACTLY what you need to do. That's literally all there is to that fight, they hold your hand through the entire thing!

QisTopTier said:
Why do I like this Endless Possibilities song so much xD It just feels right playing modern sonic while it plays
For some reason I really like Sonic Boom while playing. I can play that for every level, but I have to spread it out. If my wife finds out that I like that song I will never hear the end of her laughter, even though I have caught her singing it a few times now.

mr stroke

Why am I finding this game so hard. You guys make it seem like this game is a cake walk, but some levels are so damn frustrating.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Finally got the platinum, fucking borked online. It helps if you disable the media server in Network Connections and if your PS3 is wi-fi based, it should have a connection greater that 30%.

By the way, in the Can't Touch This trophy, it doesn't matter if you get hit by the debris I believe (I got hit 2 times by the debris but got the trophy).

ShockingAlberto said:
Oh my god I hate Vector's challenges so much

STOP POSING YOU ASSHOLE

YOU JUST THREW ME OFF A CLIFF

Really? I had zero problems with Vector's Yoshi's Island challenge. Infact, it felt like I was constantly picking angles to be thrown that would let me skip parts of the level I wasn't supposed to.

Sega1991 said:
Really? I had zero problems with Vector's Yoshi's Island challenge. Infact, it felt like I was constantly picking angles to be thrown that would let me skip parts of the level I wasn't supposed to.
I kept running in to issues where I'd land on the edge of a platform and Sonic Generations just does not like dealing with any sort of landing on edges of platforms.

The worst one was when I got thrown directly in to a projectile coming out of a worm's mouth with no possible warning and died.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Man, today I spent like, five hours, just trying to beat one of the Modern Seaside Hill Challenges...fuck that. I still haven't figured out how to use Modern Sonic, I always seems to fly off into the ocean and die.

I have to say, this game, despite having pretty good graphics, has some pretty low-quality nitpicks in little places...no death animation for Classic Sonic when he falls off a cliff, not even a sound-effect...it just goes into the loading screen. And when you defeat Perfect Chaos, it's like, wow, no feeling of triumph as all since you do one homing attack at the end and then it cuts to him just dying. So weird.

That being said, I LOVE the final three stages. They're all pretty well-made and diverse.

Top Bottom