• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Dark Schala said:
Agreed. Advance's controls felt pretty good now that I think about it.

And I love your new avatar. :D
Thanks! It'd of been Rayman related since Origins needs all the support it can get, but Link and David Bowie worked better as a Simpsons reaction face edit. :T

Also remember when Gametrailers ranked Sonic R as the worst Sonic game ever made solely because of its music? And didn't mention anything made later than the Saturn either?

Though they said Sonic '06 was the worst game of the decade so I guess they just hate Sonic R all that much more.

Astrosanity said:
Thanks! It'd of been Rayman related since Origins needs all the support it can get, but Link and David Bowie worked better as a Simpsons reaction face edit. :T

Also remember when Gametrailers ranked Sonic R as the worst Sonic game ever made solely because of its music? And didn't mention anything made later than the Saturn either?

Though they said Sonic '06 was the worst game of the decade so I guess they just hate Sonic R all that much more.
EDIT: nevermind. i was thinking of screwattack.

AniHawk

woo. i'm in the top 75 for chemical plant zone act 1 on psn. top 250 for green hill zone act 1 with a time of 54:xx seconds.

Mistle

So how do you guys go about speed running? Look up vids and try and mimic their tricks or just keep replaying the level and create your own methods?

I've always felt the latter would be very difficult.

Mistle said:
So how do you guys go about speed running? Look up vids and try and mimic their tricks or just keep replaying the level and create your own methods?

Create my own methods. Play the level and have fun, find all of the shortcuts I can, but never really get super stressed out or anything.

AniHawk

Mistle said:

i looked up a really fast time for ghz (41 seconds) and tried what he did. the 54 second time was the first time i did it after i saw it happen. i just had mostly great timing on everything. it was weird.

i'm not super obsessive about it, i just try my hand at the best path and see where that gets me. i'm shocked that ghz act 2's high score beats mine by 25 seconds, since i did everything correctly. the most i could shave off that time by really being more precise on everything is probably only 5 seconds or so.

Tizoc

Has anyone watched the documentary that came with the EU Special Edition?
Does SEGA plan on releasing in the near future?

morningbus said:
One problem with that lineup, bro: there is no Modern Mario.

Had to wait until I got home to post this pic:

23h83k9.jpg

Mario has really changed, visually, just as much as Sonic has. However when I posted this in the Sonic 4 thread most of the crazies said they saw no difference in the pic above.

I always felt that the art in "Mario vs. Donkey Kong" was the equivalent of 'Modern Mario', since he's rarely hand-drawn anymore.

dlm6ph.png

compare to:

2vlu2i8.jpg

78px-SMW_Mario_jumping.jpg

973dap.jpg

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Tizoc said:
Does SEGA plan on releasing in the near future?
Oh! That reminds me, I'll post that in the Game Documentary thread. Thanks. I'm not sure if Sega of America is planning on releasing it. It isn't very long.

It's like the GameTap Retrospective, but it's updated to 2011 (ie: it talks about the 3D games a little bit).

It includes a mini-interview with Masato Nakamura about Sonic 1's music, but it's mostly him saying things we know like wanting to compose it like a film score.

And a mini-interview with Jun Senoue saying that Live and Learn and Escape from the City were his favourite tunes that he composed, and that out of Nakamura's pieces, his favourite is Emerald Hill Zone.

Tomoya Ohtani said that he put a lot of effort into the theme songs of the games that he worked on. In each of the projects, the theme song became the core of the entire project.

Kenichi Tokoi said that his most memorable moment in Sonic composition was the Sonic Adventure soundtrack. He found an appreciation for recording, and also recognizing the quality of musicians around the world. It made an impression on him for future projects.

Er... they also talked a bit about Sonic Generations after that.

Rlan

Have any of those iwata asks ever gone into why Mario went from blue shirt and red overalls to red shirt and blue overalls? I mean even the official art for Mario 2 USA had Red overalls deapite wearing blue in the game.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I think the difference with Mario is that each game he's in adapts a different art-style (compare Paper Mario, Galaxy Mario, and Mario and Luigi Mario), unlike Sonic where there's basically been the Classic/Modern distinction, with them slightly changing due to graphical power yet otherwise staying the same.

Not to mention the Modern Mario is in classic and modern style games, such as how we got NSMBWii and Galaxy in the same year, whereas Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic are unique to their own style of games.

Hmm, is there anyway to adjust the "wandering" left analog stick on a 360 controller? It's making some of these Classic Sonic levels more annoying than they should be.

On PC, BTW.

Rlan

Watch Da Birdie said:
I think the difference with Mario is that each game he's in adapts a different art-style (compare Paper Mario, Galaxy Mario, and Mario and Luigi Mario), unlike Sonic where there's basically been the Classic/Modern distinction, with them slightly changing due to graphical power yet otherwise staying the same.

Not to mention the Modern Mario is in classic and modern style games, such as how we got NSMBWii and Galaxy in the same year, whereas Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic are unique to their own style of games.
The only other style is really "riders" Sonic, when they all look weirdly tall and lanky, crazy ass shoes and all wearing goggles.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
SuperAngelo64 said:
Had to wait until I got home to post this pic:

http://i42.tinypic.com/23h83k9.jpg

Mario has really changed, visually, just as much as Sonic has. However when I posted this in the Sonic 4 thread most of the crazies said they saw no difference in the pic above.

I always felt that the art in "Mario vs. Donkey Kong" was the equivalent of 'Modern Mario', since he's rarely hand-drawn anymore.
http://i42.tinypic.com/dlm6ph.png

compare to:

http://i40.tinypic.com/2vlu2i8.jpg
http://www.mariowiki.com/images/thumb/0/0e/SMW_Mario_jumping.jpg/78px-SMW_Mario_jumping.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/973dap.jpg

I understand what you're getting at, but those pictures look about the same to me, man. I can see a difference, obviously, but there's absolutely nothing as drastic as Sonic's redesign there. If we're going to nitpick it, then Mario changed fairly drastically from the beginning of the NES days to the SNES, then the N64, and then to where we are now with games like Galaxy. But no one will say to you that Mario had fundamental design changes between the NES era games. Technology advanced, and Mario's design advanced with it.

The distinction of Modern Sonic isn't just based on the redesign either. If Sonic had gracefully transition into 3D, then I doubt we be referring to him as Modern Sonic at all, much like how no one says "Modern Mario" when talking about the Galaxy games.

morningbus said:
I understand what you're getting at, but those pictures look about the same to me, man. I can see a difference, obviously, but there's absolutely nothing as drastic as Sonic's redesign there. If we're going to nitpick it, then Mario changed fairly drastically from the beginning of the NES days to the SNES, then the N64, and then to where we are now with games like Galaxy. But no one will say to you that Mario had fundamental design changes between the NES era games. Technology advanced, and Mario's design advanced with it.

The distinction of Modern Sonic isn't just based on the redesign either. If Sonic had gracefully transition into 3D, then I doubt we be referring to him as Modern Sonic at all, much like how no one says "Modern Mario" when talking about the Galaxy games.

I honestly never referred to him as 'Modern Sonic' until Generations. Really, the difference between games like Mario 1-3 and World vs. Mario 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy are just as huge as the Genesis Sonic games vs the Dreamcast era 'modern' ones.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Really the only change between Mario's over the years has been reversing the jumpsuit colours and the voice-horrors Charles Martinet brought to the character by swilling an italian stereotype with high pitched Mickey Mouse and spitting out the result to replace loveable mute sprite Mario.

Sonic meanwhile went from being a squat and silent moody little thing to a lanky, green eyed individual with floppy quills than sharp looking spikes. In his first outing with voice actor #1 (think we're up to 3 now... or is it 4...) he started rambling about the 'power of heart' and I think only Secret Rings has personified him as "a bit of dick" rather than that atypical light-hearted Hero persona he now wears.

Plus Mario's eyelids didn't change colour.

Pietepiet

Tizoc said:

I was really disappointed with that documentary. It's basically a lot of marketing talk (HOW WE TOOK THE MONEY FROM NINTENDO AND SOLD SONIC), with a little bit of design and music talk.
I would've liked to see more in-depth development and design stuff, not this marketing blabla. Shame :(

Also, people are STILL arguing about Sonic's design change VS Mario's? Jeez...

morningbus

SuperAngelo64 said:
I honestly never referred to him as 'Modern Sonic' until Generations. Really, the difference between games like Mario 1-3 and World vs. Mario 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy are just as huge as the Genesis Sonic games vs the Dreamcast era 'modern' ones.

All I can say is that I was referring to it as "Modern Sonic" before Generations. I don't know when other people started, but the term has been around at least as long as Unleashed.

Anyway, back to Mario for some reason:

The majority of stuff you posted can be explained away with art style. But if we want to get into it, by those standards, Mario's design has constantly changed. Compare Mario 1 with Mario 2 (USA). The characters look completely different. Then compare it with Mario 3. Again, completely different. Super Mario World, again, completely different. Yoshi's Island, for obvious reasons, completely different even where there are similar characters.

My point is, no one would try and differentiate between those Marios, because they represent only minor changes or refinements to the design. Mario has not experienced a drastic a redesign as Sonic, plain and simple.

Here is my own example: This is a fairly consistent representation of "Classic Mario"
Zlz9g.jpg

Now compare to one of his more recent games, Mario Galaxy:
CDI43.jpg

The defense rests.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
morningbus said:
Here is my own example: This is a fairly consistent representation of "Classic Mario"
http://i.imgur.com/Zlz9g.jpg[IMG]

Now compare to one of his more recent games, Mario Galaxy:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/CDI43.jpg[IMG]

The defense rests.[/QUOTE]
Er..Galaxy Mario looks exactly the same, just rendered in 3D wearing a different expression. Same proportions and everything.

KageMaru

Finally got my copy last night. The game does a great job scratches the nostalgic itch. I was smiling the moment the first stage loaded up. Wanted to get to BF3 but I just kept playing until I had to go to sleep. Love to be playing a great Sonic game again, it's been too long.

Classic Mario would probably be his 8-bit SMB sprite. It just seems like how Nintendo would roll.

However, the lack of Super Sonic and Rainbow Mario in some form of "final boss" in the Olympic Games has always disappointed me.

morningbus

The_Technomancer said:
Er..Galaxy Mario looks exactly the same, just rendered in 3D wearing a different expression. Same proportions and everything.

That... that was my point.

So, thanks?

Sciz

Dark Schala said:
And a mini-interview with Jun Senoue saying that Live and Learn and Escape from the City were his favourite tunes that he composed, and that out of Nakamura's pieces, his favourite is Emerald Hill Zone.

Tomoya Ohtani said that he put a lot of effort into the theme songs of the games that he worked on. In each of the projects, the theme song became the core of the entire project.

Kenichi Tokoi said that his most memorable moment in Sonic composition was the Sonic Adventure soundtrack. He found an appreciation for recording, and also recognizing the quality of musicians around the world. It made an impression on him for future projects.
This all explains so much.

Tizoc

Dark Schala said:
Oh! That reminds me, I'll post that in the Game Documentary thread. Thanks. I'm not sure if Sega of America is planning on releasing it. It isn't very long.
Heh I'm actually watching it on YT and I think it's great, it helps that the gameplay clips they're showing are of good gameplay.
Would've liked for it to be longer though just so it covers more of the Sonic games, at least up til Advenutre 2 lol.

It includes a mini-interview with Masato Nakamura about Sonic 1's music, but it's mostly him saying things we know like wanting to compose it like a film score.
This I did not know TBH; I myself haven't read much about the development of the Sonic games aside from Sonic 3's music.

so why is Sonic 3 basically forgotten in this game...?

Even the credits didn't count it, just claiming Sonic and Knuckles was the next major game after Sonic 2. I would have expected them to claim Sky Sanctuary was from Sonic 3 and Knuckles, but they didn't. They straight say it's from Sonic and Knuckles only.

qq more

balladofwindfishes said:

Even the credits didn't count it, just claiming Sonic and Knuckles was the next major game after Sonic 2. I would have expected them to claim Sky Sanctuary was from Sonic 3 and Knuckles, but they didn't. They straight say it's from Sonic and Knuckles only.
Yeah, it irks me a lot that they did this. I partly blame the whole era concept the game has. (3 games per era). :/ I just hope they'll make DLC to make up for it. (But even then I don't think that's likely, I want to be wrong though)

It worked nice for the Dreamcast and Modern games, but Classic is missing Sonic 3D and Sonic CD. There were just more games that would be considered "classic" than the other two eras, probably because "classic" is around 10 years while the other two eras are 5ish years in span.

I'd really like to see a Sonic 3 and Sonic CD level as DLC. Sonic CD at least got a boss fight, but I still think it was pretty much ignored.

For Dreamcast they could throw in Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic Riders are potential DLC levels.

Modern has Sonic and the Secret Rings and Sonic and the Black Knight, which would work. It also has the Rush games if it's really hurting for level ideas.

balladofwindfishes said:

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Sonic & Knuckles are essentially the same game.

Edit: Rather, two halves of one game.

qq more

AbsoluteZero said:

Yes, but
Why didn't they just call it Sonic 3 & Knuckles in the credits then?

*shakes fist* SEEEEEEEEGGGGGGGGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AbsoluteZero said:

A game that is called Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Knuckles. Sonic Generations implies Sonic 3 doesn't exist and the entire thing is Sonic and Knuckles, or that the first half of the game doesn't even exist.

ArjanN

To be honest I never really noticed the sonic redesign much, but then again I was never a superfan or anything.

Oh, and:

Classic:

92099097.png

Modern:

realmario.jpg

Berordn

qq more said:
Yes, but

Alternatively, the credits are just showing footage of the levels they included and isn't equivalent to representation. After all, there isn't a segment showing the Metal Sonic fight from CD or anything.

RobbieNick

balladofwindfishes said:

Maybe Michael Jackson? He did co-produce some of the music and maybe he owns some rights to that. Notice there's no MJ Sonic 3 tunes in the game?

qq more said:
Yes, but

Because Sky Sanctuary is from the Sonic & Knuckles half of the game.

TheOGB

Banned
Rlan said:
The only other style is really "riders" Sonic, when they all look weirdly tall and lanky, crazy ass shoes and all wearing goggles.
I like Riders' style because it's not all the same looking shit. It's very distinctly its own; they make it clear that this is a different world.

Sciz

Battle's art had a neat, distinct vibe to it too.

RobbieNick said:
Maybe Michael Jackson? He did co-produce some of the music and maybe he owns some rights to that. Notice there's no MJ Sonic 3 tunes in the game?
Sega doesn't seem to know precisely who's responsible for most of Sonic 3's music any more than we do. I wouldn't read too much into Carnival Night/Icecap/Launch Base being missing.

Anth0ny

Regarding Michael Jackson's involvement in Sonic 3:

James Hansen, of Sonic Stuff Research Group, retorts that Cirocco (credited as "Scirocco" in Sonic 3) still has possession of presumably a demo version of fabled soundtrack. "I actually have "ALL" of the tracks...," he writes, "from the original humming of Michael calling in the middle of the night leaving messages, to his ideas at Record One with Matt and Bruce. - BUT, I don't think I can let any of that out to the public without permission." In December 2009, Michael Jackson's composer, Brad Buxer, told French magazine Black & White that Jackson was actually involved with some of Sonic 3's compositions, supposedly not being credited because he wasn't happy with how they sounded, due to the lack of optimal sound reproduction on the Genesis. Buxer also claimed that the ending music of Sonic the Hedgehog 3 later became the basis for Jackson's single Stranger in Moscow.

MJ was clearly involved with the soundtrack of the game. There is a possibility that select tracks couldn't be included in Generations because of rights surrounding MJ's music, but that doesn't explain the absence of Sonic 3 all together...

Also, why are MJ's tracks excluded from the Sonic and Knuckles collection, but retained in Sonic Mega Collection and other compilations? It's a mystery, and until we get to the bottom of it, I don't think we'll be seeing a Sonic 3 soundtrack anytime soon =(

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Haven't had the chance to play this in nearly a week, as I had to go away last Sunday due to having eye surgery at Monday (which meant I couldn't read, watch TV, use the Internet, play the vidya etc. for a few days). Do you get anything special for S-ranking everything, clearing all the challenges and all that? Some secret final boss or some sort of reward?

AniHawk

Combichristoffersen said:
Haven't had the chance to play this in nearly a week, as I had to go away last Sunday due to having eye surgery at Monday (which meant I couldn't read, watch TV, use the Internet, play the vidya etc. for a few days). Do you get anything special for S-ranking everything, clearing all the challenges and all that? Some secret final boss or some sort of reward?

nah, just achievements/trophies. clearing the challenges gets you artwork, music, and special moves. same with the red rings.

Combichristoffersen said:
Haven't had the chance to play this in nearly a week, as I had to go away last Sunday due to having eye surgery at Monday (which meant I couldn't read, watch TV, use the Internet, play the vidya etc. for a few days).
stop fappin so much

Glad to hear you're doing alright.

GooeyHeat

Anth0ny said:
Also, why are MJ's tracks excluded from the Sonic and Knuckles collection, but retained in Sonic Mega Collection and other compilations? It's a mystery, and until we get to the bottom of it, I don't think we'll be seeing a Sonic 3 soundtrack anytime soon =(
I always thought that because the PC collection used MIDI for the soundtracks, they couldn't use the MJ tracks because they all had samples. (There's an 'UH!' in Knuckles's theme, a 'Come on!' in the miniboss theme, 'Go!' in Ice Cap and Launch Base, and a big glass breaking or crash sample in Carnival Night.)

Also, THIS > regular Carnival Night music by a supersonic country mile.

Top Bottom