• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Mistle

Watch Da Birdie said:
Man, today I spent like, five hours, just trying to beat one of the Modern Seaside Hill Challenges...fuck that. I still haven't figured out how to use Modern Sonic, I always seems to fly off into the ocean and die.
What challenge possibly could be troubling you so much? The Rouge one with the love hearts probably had me dying the most, mainly because I kept losing my footing.

I few took me a few tries but in all, they were all pretty easy. I didn't have problems with either of the Vector ones, which is odd considering the replies in this thread. The throwing one I did on first try (maybe I just got lucky?), and the music one look for several tries... But once I got a knack for it it wasn't so bad.

Also, I agree with you on both accounts with your small nitpicks. I was surprised not to see a classic Sonic death animation.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Mistle said:
What challenge possibly could be troubling you so much? The Rouge one with the love hearts probably had me dying the most, mainly because I kept losing my footing.

I few took me a few tries but in all, they were all pretty easy. I didn't have problems with either of the Vector ones, which is odd considering the replies in this thread. The throwing one I did on first try (maybe I just got lucky?), and the music one look for several tries... But once I got a knack for it it wasn't so bad.

I tried the one that's like, called, Sand, Sea, and Stone, or something like that...I think my control is bugged as I just can't seem to stop as Modern Sonic. And then the one where you had to skim the surface of the water...ugh. I just can't seem to figure out how to control Modern.

Watch Da Birdie said:
I tried the one that's like, called, Sand, Sea, and Stone, or something like that...I think my control is bugged as I just can't seem to stop as Modern Sonic. And then the one where you had to skim the surface of the water...ugh. I just can't seem to figure out how to control Modern.
The one with the giant Chopper?

Yeah, there's a stretch there that's absolutely brutal.

ckohler

I'm stuck at the Planet Wisp Act 1 Doppleganger Challenge. That stage is hard enough when you're not racing. I get beat every time.

It's the only time in the whole game I've been unable to proceed after 2 or 3 tries.

Mistle

Watch Da Birdie said:
Ahhhh yes now I see how that could be a problem, there were some pretty tough moments in it, specifically when in the kart and trying to avoid flames that kill you.

At the very start you can boost-jump right at the balloons instead of left, which may avoid some early troubles.

ckohler said:
I'm stuck at the Planet Wisp Act 1 Doppleganger Challenge. That stage is hard enough when you're not racing. I get beat every time.

It's the only time in the whole game I've been unable to proceed after 2 or 3 tries.
That level is much faster once I realized I could spindash in spike mode.

ezodagrom

Was checking out the Steam registry and noticed something interesting, looks like there might be a patch being worked on for the PC version:

songensteamreg.jpg

Zomba13

ezodagrom said:
Was checking out the Steam registry and noticed something interesting, looks like there might be a patch being worked on for the PC version:

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/5766/songensteamreg.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
Hopefully it fixes my problem of not being able to use the online modes.

Mistle

ShockingAlberto said:
That level is much faster once I realized I could spindash in spike mode.
Perhaps this is why some people absolutely loathe that level. I can't imagine going through it without spindashing ._.

Zomba13

Mistle said:
Perhaps this is why some people absolutely loathe that level. I can't imagine going through it without spindashing ._.
I knew about the spindashing and still hate the level.

Mistle

AlexMogil said:
Ok I give up.

How do you beat the Vector note challenge.
This was one of my favourite challenges actually. Completely different from all the others.

For the first "round", you can pretty much stay up the very very front. Like literally infront of Vector, and just hit the notes from there. After that, if you hang around in the middle area, you can get the rest of them in rounds 2 & 3 fairly easily. Just have to have sharp reflexes. And if you miss one, the note does hover over its mark for a few moments where you can still hit it.

What I'm curious about is the area up the very front with the boost. I never had to use it?

Nabs

ezodagrom said:

I hope it fixes online mode.

So the 3DS version is a different game? This looks really fun to me but I don't have a console right now. I was thinking about picking it up on 3DS to have something to play while I'm home for Christmas break but if it's a different game made by a disreputable developer I guess I'll hold off.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Mistle said:
It's the worst level in the game, I agree. I enjoy Act 2, however.
Same. Though I guess it feels a little easier when you get
Homing Attack

dr3upmushroom said:
So the 3DS version is a different game? This looks really fun to me but I don't have a console right now. I was thinking about picking it up on 3DS to have something to play while I'm home for Christmas break but if it's a different game made by a disreputable developer I guess I'll hold off.
It has different level set and different music. It's developed by Dimps, who developed the Rush games and Sonic 4.

I'll be picking it up.

Dark Schala said:
It has different level set and different music. It's developed by Dimps, who developed the Rush games and Sonic 4.

I'll be picking it up.
Does it have the modern style levels? I couldn't find many videos on YouTube but every one I found was the classic 2D style of gameplay, even if it was modern Sonic being played.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
dr3upmushroom said:
Does it have the modern style levels? I couldn't find many videos on YouTube but every one I found was the classic 2D style of gameplay, even if it was modern Sonic being played.
Behind-the-back, you mean? Only in the special stages, like so:

2uz7cxj.jpg

Since it's being developed by Dimps, if you've played the Sonic Rush games, you'll feel like it's controlling like those (ie: "2D sidescrolling") for both Sonics. The only thing that differentiates them is the Boost Gauge for Modern Sonic.

Oh and in related news, the Japanese website updated today, but it only has gameplay footage of the HD version (which most of us have already played through) and the 3DS version (which we've already seen).

It is sort of annoying how astoundingly easy it becomes to get Red Star Rings as Classic Sonic when you have the homing attack equipped. Staying on the upper pathways of a stage is a cakewalk.

I struggled and struggled to get the remaining red star rings in Speed Highway, City Escape, Seaside Hill, and Crisis City, but once I made a bee-line for the homing attack, the rest of those red star rings were cleaned up with little effort.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
darkpaladinmfc said:
Yea, if you get a lesser rank it means you suck and have to retry until you get an S.

Getting S is pretty easy to be honest... Except for the last few ones (though they're not über difficult).

JMizzlin

Nothing quite makes me rage like a Sonic game, and Generations certainly doesn't change that. And by rage I mean want to fucking tear the fucking disc apart and throw my Xbox against a wall.

I can't see any viable way to be good at this game other than memorize the maps (screw that).

How do you guys enjoy this?!

Throavium

Eye Drop said:
Nothing quite makes me rage like a Sonic game, and Generations certainly doesn't change that. And by rage I mean want to fucking tear the fucking disc apart and throw my Xbox against a wall.

I can't see any viable way to be good at this game other than memorize the maps (screw that).

You didn't mention a reason why you rage over the game, that could help.

Eye Drop said:

If you just want to stumble through the game with S-Ranks, that's really not that hard. If you want to be "good" at the game, then of course you have to learn the levels.

JMizzlin

Throavium said:
You didn't mention a reason why you rage over the game, that could help.

My personal problem is that going fast (cause that's what Sonic does) prevents you from seeing the pitfalls and perfectly placed enemies until you've actually hit them.
Also having major troubles with Modern Sonic in the third person forward-running sections in constantly falling off the map due to tiny platforms that I fail at hitting when going fast.

Like, is the key to not go fast fast?

Don't boost until you know the levels, or it will punish you, yes. You can pretty much just jog through the stages and still S-Rank. You won't tear up the leaderboards, but you won't be constantly flying into pits either.

There are safe moments to boost in even unfamiliar levels as you'll learn, just don't hold down the button all the time and expect to stay in the levels the way Green Hill let you.

Throavium

Eye Drop said:
My personal problem is that going fast (cause that's what Sonic does) prevents you from seeing the pitfalls and perfectly placed enemies until you've actually hit them.
Also having major troubles with Modern Sonic in the third person forward-running sections in constantly falling off the map due to tiny platforms that I fail at hitting when going fast.

Like, is the key to not go fast fast?
That sucks, and I know it's hard to deal with. At this point, I was accustomed to Sonic Unleashed gameplay before this game, but little does this game make you boost or run fast without warning you of a pitfall ahead. Most of the time the game has signs posted up to let you know that if you fall you'll die.

There are parts of the game where I just hate boosting, especially if I don't know the level. If you were to play the same Modern stage about 10 times, you would feel more comfortable boosting because you know what's coming next.

Fox

Banned
Throavium said:
That sucks, and I know it's hard to deal with. At this point, I was accustomed to Sonic Unleashed gameplay before this game, but little does this game make you boost or run fast without warning you of a pitfall ahead. Most of the time the game has signs posted up to let you know that if you fall you'll die.

There are parts of the game where I just hate boosting, especially if I don't know the level. If you were to play the same Modern stage about 10 times, you would feel more comfortable boosting because you know what's coming next.

i just achieved 1000/1000, disabling the on screen warnings from the beginning.
no problem with the boost. just learn the level first, then boost :D

Zen

Banned
Throavium said:

It's not such a big deal because the level design never remotely addresses that very core aspect of classic Sonic gameplay, which is somewhat of a bigger deal.

Hopefully hacks can give us some tweaked physics, and a new level or two that makes use of them fully. Seaside Hill seemed like it was kind of intended to make use of rolling, what with the occasional half pipe.

ksdixon

Being able to go into the Collection Room and at the press of a button switch between 3D renders of Classic and Modern Sonic REALLY shows how much of a complete douchebag Modern Sonic looks.

It's like he goes from what is an obviously cutesy character which still has attitude... to this green-eyed, lanky, oversized-huge-spiked Dude Bro.

Guys... I have this really bad tendency to occasionally play through games based solely on their soundtrack... and I'm really liking these Wave Ocean tracks.

Eye Drop said:

How would you be so bad that you would think this game in particular requires memorization? Sonic Unleashed, I'll give you that. In the grand scheme of things, Sonic Unleashed is more of a racing game than it is a platformer. Later levels in that are definitely ones where you are flying by the seat of your pants.

Sonic Generations is not as fast as Sonic Unleashed was. It's still plenty fast, but it's very manageable. When you're supposed to boost down a straightaway, the game lets you know. It rarely if ever sneaks enemies in to places where you're going to run in to them without seeing them (I can think of one area, in Classic Chemical Plant, where there's an enemy directly on the path and you're usually moving way too fast to react, but that is literally the only area).

Sonic Generations also rarely penalizes you for going slow. Or, at the very least, you aren't penalized too harshly. Most of the time, taking things nice and slow just gets you to a lower path with more platforming and less "run run run go fast".

Which I think is a key important aspect. Don't force yourself to go fast. If you think you're supposed to be going full tilt all the time, that's just going to lead to making dumb, sloppy mistakes. I got mad as hell doing a time trial ghost/doppelganger race in this for Crisis City because it was just me making every boneheaded error there was of because I was trying to hurry through an environment I was still as of yet unfamiliar with.

Pick a pace you're comfortable with and don't be afraid to slow down and inch forward if you're getting worked. The crazy super fast speed run nonsense is for those who have practiced and planned their route. But you've got to walk before you can run.

Sciz

SuperAngelo64 said:
Guys... I have this really bad tendency to occasionally play through games based solely on their soundtrack... and I'm really liking these Wave Ocean tracks.
I accidentally got someone to do that with my Sonic music topic from a few years ago. He hated me for it.

Just say no.

I'm honestly like 10 minutes from just having someone log into my Steam account and doing 'Can't Touch This' for me.

This is honestly just not fun, and that's the first time I've said that about this game.

EDIT: I just wasted 40 lives doing this. Are you guys sure that hitting debris counts as 'damage'?

EDIT 2: I KNOW WHAT A HOMING SHOT LOOKS LIKE, YOU SHITS!

EDIT 3: I've been at this for 3 hours now.

Top Bottom