• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I got stuck at the wall using Classic Sonic at Planet Wisp.

For some reason, Classic Sonic was buggy, Modern Sonic... not so much.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Dark Schala said:
Aww... glad to know you're doing okay, though. But that still sucks. :(

That's why I'm so surprised when my boyfriend says he's so used to eye surgeries involving lasers or light or opening them for lengthy periods of time (he's had them quite often). I could never get used to that (I could go under the knife now to completely fix my left eye but I don't want to). I think eyes get more itchy than sore because you have to hold them open for so long. Just don't strain your eyes. :)

I don't know if the eye got sore or itchy after the 30 minutes of UV-A lights, but it definitely didn't feel good, and due to the riboflavin drops being yellow, I was looking at the world in sepia tones for about an hour after the operation :lol What's the problem with your left eye, if I might ask?

TheOGB said:
An open letter to Egg Dragoon and Time Eater:

hhVJ7.jpg

I didn't mind Time Eater (besides it being uneventful and taking far too long to defeat), but Egg Dragoon can go get mauled by ghosts in Sandopolis. Also, the Shadow battle was kinda tedious since the game didn't really give any indication what exactly it wanted you to do.

Showmeyamoves said:
Super Sonic? More like Super Suck.

http://i42.tinypic.com/fjzvkp.jpg

Apparently one of his powers is getting stuck in walls.

This wouldn't have happened if he was Hyper Sonic.

ULTROS! said:
I got stuck at the wall using Classic Sonic at Planet Wisp.

For some reason, Classic Sonic was buggy, Modern Sonic... not so much.

They're just bringing back Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Didn't the booklet to S3 warn against going too fast in some zone (Carnival Night, I think?) because you could get stuck in the walls? I seem to remember some GAFfer mentioning this once in a Sonic thread.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I read some people write "I got all the S ranks but can't touch this is missing" - how can you get an S-Rank on the last boss while being hit? You won't receive the perfect bonus this way, will you?

AniHawk

Yoshi said:
I read some people write "I got all the S ranks but can't touch this is missing" - how can you get an S-Rank on the last boss while being hit? You won't receive the perfect bonus this way, will you?

yes. perfect bonus only doesn't get added if you run out of rings. before i got the trophy, i got the s-rank.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I didn't mind Time Eater (besides it being uneventful and taking far too long to defeat), but Egg Dragoon can go get mauled by ghosts in Sandopolis. Also, the Shadow battle was kinda tedious since the game didn't really give any indication what exactly it wanted you to do.
I don't get this complaint, since the game spells out exactly what to do. "Grab the power orbs before Shadow to Power Up"

You grab the power orbs.

"Ram into meteors to launch them at Shadow"

Ram into the meteors.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
AniHawk said:
yes. perfect bonus only doesn't get added if you run out of rings. before i got the trophy, i got the s-rank.
Also on hard? Because all the other bosses require you not to be hit on hard mode...

Edit: Re: Shadow: I'm surprised so many people here don't like him, it's my favourite boss fight so far (I'm only missing the final one).

Picked this up today, absolutely loving what I've played of it so far. So fresh to have a proper Sonic game again. My reflexes ain't what they used to be for this time of game, but I'm having fun replaying the acts ~10 times to try for S-rankings.

hank_tree

Combichristoffersen said:
They're just bringing back Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Didn't the booklet to S3 warn against going too fast in some zone (Carnival Night, I think?) because you could get stuck in the walls? I seem to remember some GAFfer mentioning this once in a Sonic thread.

Yeah it did. They described it as one of Robotnik's fiendish traps and the only escape was to wait for the timer to run out.

The final boss could have been awesome though

Imagine the time eater teleports the Sonics back to GHZ, suddenly the music changes to the classic Sonic 1 boss music. Then you have to defeat classic eggman with his ball and chain. When this is done classic eggman is all confused and crashes the broken wrecking ball into the time eater, damaging it.

The perspective changes to 3D and the time eater eats GHZ, and teleports everyone to Eggman's hideout in the desert. The huge sand golem from Sonic Adventure 2 rises out and modern sonic has to take care of it. At the end of the fight, the sand golem accidentally slaps the time eater and he takes damage.

And then something similar for the modern games (which I haven't played so I don't know their bosses :x)

Even better! While fighting wrecking ball eggman, modern eggman hops into Sonic 2's drill machine and you have to fight the wrecking ball eggman and the drill eggman at the same time!

It was kind of weird the ending just through some random boss at you while the rest of the game was full of classic boss fights.

hank_tree said:
Yeah it did. They described it as one of Robotnik's fiendish traps and the only escape was to wait for the timer to run out.
LOL

I just realised that sega did throw in some SMS stuff into generations, the air ship in the rooptop run acts especially in the classic stage as you run and see it side on, is in fact the blimp from sonic 1 SMS:

969sad.png

So awesome!

balladofwindfishes said:
The final boss could have been awesome though

Imagine the time eater teleports the Sonics back to GHZ, suddenly the music changes to the classic Sonic 1 boss music. Then you have to defeat classic eggman with his ball and chain. When this is done classic eggman is all confused and crashes the broken wrecking ball into the time eater, damaging it.

The perspective changes to 3D and the time eater eats GHZ, and teleports everyone to Eggman's hideout in the desert. The huge sand golem from Sonic Adventure 2 rises out and modern sonic has to take care of it. At the end of the fight, the sand golem accidentally slaps the time eater and he takes damage.

And then something similar for the modern games (which I haven't played so I don't know their bosses :x)

Even better! While fighting wrecking ball eggman, modern eggman hops into Sonic 2's drill machine and you have to fight the wrecking ball eggman and the drill eggman at the same time!

It was kind of weird the ending just through some random boss at you while the rest of the game was full of classic boss fights.

LOL
it's quite obvious that generations was made with less budget then unleashed and colours, there is hardly any cut scenes outside of a few flicks in the hub and a beginning and end scene, the last 2 bosses are average at best (I personally have no beef with the dragon boss, he is very simple once you know what's going on) it's like they didn't want to gamble making a huge budget game with a classic hedgehog in it...

andymcc

Banned
hank_tree said:
holy shit. it's true!

Vx034.jpg

I had never read the manual since launch. this even happened to me as a kid! (I fell through the floor in Death Egg on S&K too)

thankfully the glitch most people ran in to (run on the ceiling into a wall, you will teleport through it at an angle) was fixed if you play with SK added on, but still lol. Carnival zone was built around a few of these areas and baloon park has one of the more well known ones too.

abasm

I'm pretty sure the stuttering issues have to do with streaming the level data, not with rendering what's on screen. For such a pretty game, it's actually really well optimized, rendering-wise. My computer is pretty old (Q6600, 8800 GT) and it maintains 60 FPS on high (No AA).

I'll probably be getting this game on the PS3 for my brother over the holidays, and I'm wondering if I'll be able to play as well at 30 FPS. This game already moves so fast--halving the framerate has got to make things substantially harder. I'm also wondering if the PS3 leaderboards are more competitive than the PC boards.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I find it weird that a number of sites are reviewing this game with a slightly above average score (ranging 5-7 / 10) but the fan feedback for this game is pretty high. Even my friends who haven't played Sonic 3D yet had a blast with this game.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
abasm said:
I'm pretty sure the stuttering issues have to do with streaming the level data, not with rendering what's on screen. For such a pretty game, it's actually really well optimized, rendering-wise. My computer is pretty old (Q6600, 8800 GT) and it maintains 60 FPS on high (No AA).

I'll probably be getting this game on the PS3 for my brother over the holidays, and I'm wondering if I'll be able to play as well at 30 FPS. This game already moves so fast--halving the framerate has got to make things substantially harder. I'm also wondering if the PS3 leaderboards are more competitive than the PC boards.
I can tolerate 30fps platformers, but fast moving sidescrollers look so bad at 30fps. I was kind of shocked they released it that way.

Alphahawk

I'm going to say something controversial here. 3D Sonic gameplay is better than 2D sonic gameplay. The problem is that most 3D Sonic games add too many shitty friends and aren't even remotely hard enough to hold one's attention for long.

Homing from one enemy to the next>>>Spin dashing through loops.

abasm said:

It's not a controversial opinion, no Sonic game has ever really "worked" at 30fps. It's a fantastic game but I wouldn't recommend anyone buy anything other than the PC version. It's just not the same game.

Well, I platinum'd Sonic Generations. The Can't Touch This trophy wasn't so bad: all in all, I think I've only spent about an hour on it until realizing what I was supposed to do. I still don't get it 100% but I had the attack pattern down.

Thank you, Sega. It was an honor. I hope this means you'll put Sonic on the right track from here. 1/2 of Unleashed was great. Colors was fantastic. This game was magical.

Now I'm working on speed runs. I'm currently doing Classic Green Hill Zone. I managed to clock it at :58.56 just now. I know I can do it quicker; to get the trophy for beating that zone in under 1 minute I got :56.

I will beat your :50.90, QisTopTier ... since you're the only guy on my friendlist who actually did some of the ranking attacks. =(

Edit: Got :54.26 just now. HNGHHH.

Alphahawk said:
I'm going to say something controversial here. 3D Sonic gameplay is better than 2D sonic gameplay. The problem is that most 3D Sonic games add too many shitty friends and aren't even remotely hard enough to hold one's attention for long.

Homing from one enemy to the next>>>Spin dashing through loops.
If the roll built momentum like it did in the classic games the 2D levels would be much better. Such a simple tweak would make that portion much more enjoyable, hopefully someone attempts a mod that achieves that.

As it stands I'd probably agree the 3D levels are better in this game, though they don't match classic Sonic.

DeVeAn

SuperAngelo64 said:
Guys... I have this really bad tendency to occasionally play through games based solely on their soundtrack... and I'm really liking these Wave Ocean tracks.
If you have tremendous patience, and the knowledge knowing its a broken game you can play through it. I did it twice and it is a busted game.

DeVeAn

abasm said:

So, what could one do to alleviate this issue? Better HDD? Erase some stuff?

Combichristoffersen

ULTROS! said:
I find it weird that a number of sites are reviewing this game with a slightly above average score (ranging 5-7 / 10) but the fan feedback for this game is pretty high. Even my friends who haven't played Sonic 3D yet had a blast with this game.

I know I tend to come off as bitter and jaded about the shit Sega has done to the Sonic franchise post-S3&K, but even I had fun with Generations. It's not perfect, some of the post-16-bit levels are a bit eh and a couple of the bosses (Egg Dragoon, I'm looking at you) are a bit shit, but overall it's still a very good game. Well, the PC version is, at least. After playing the vastly superior PC version I would probably have a hard time going back to play the uglier and slower console version.

Orellio said:
Grabbing the chopper at the very beginning = mindblown. Great run.
I knew you could do that. When I would go for the homing attack on the rail, it would show a lock-on on the helicopter. I've never done it though.

Good job!

FreeMufasa

This game.

Absoloutely outstanding. You can tell how much care went into making it. I bought it today and have already finished all the levels but there's so much content there i'm giddy with excitement. Everything just looks and sounds so good.

Planet Wisp looked damn good in Colours but here it looks unreal. Almost like the beginning CG in Sonic Colours.

Crisis City however is a turd in all forms. Dreamcast gameplay and now classic and modern. Why they didn't include Kingdom Valley instead i'll never know.

Combichristoffersen

FreeMufasa said:
This game.

Absoloutely outstanding. You can tell how much care went into making it. I bought it today and have already finished all the levels but there's so much content there i'm giddy with excitement. Everything just looks and sounds so good.

Planet Wisp looked damn good in Colours but here it looks unreal. Almost like the beginning CG in Sonic Colours.

Crisis City however is a turd in all forms. Dreamcast gameplay and now classic and modern. Why they didn't include Kingdom Valley instead i'll never know.

Crisis City was my favourite level in the game, after GHZ and Chemical Plant, actually :lol

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Combichristoffersen said:
Crisis City was my favourite level in the game, after GHZ and Chemical Plant, actually :lol

Yeah, I think the back-three are the best.

The weakest was the Dreamcast generation for me, despite the fact I actually played those games unlike the Modern ones. :/

Ravidrath

Started this up last night and just beat it.

While I had fun, I can't recommend it for purchase. The game is really short if you stick to the core content, so it's kind of the perfect rental.

The first three stages were by far the best, and I wish they had found the time and money to add two more classic stages from Sonic CD and Sonic 3. Hell, I might even welcome a Sonic 4 stage.

Also, I didn't pay much attention to pre-release media, and was surprised and disappointed by the stages they selected. Considering the variety of stages in the Sonic franchise, there were just way too many "city" stages, and they were often back-to-back. Speed Highway into City Escape? And then Crisis City into Rooftop Run? Crisis City almost doesn't count, but generally I feel like I don't play Sonic games to look at buildings.

AniHawk

classic:

sky sanctuary
chemical plant
seaside hill
green hill
rooftop run
city escape
speed highway
crisis city
planet wisp

modern:

sky sanctuary
rooftop run
chemical plant
green hill
seaside hill
speed highway
city escape
planet wisp
crisis city

AniHawk

Ravidrath said:
Started this up last night and just beat it.

While I had fun, I can't recommend it for purchase. The game is really short if you stick to the core content, so it's kind of the perfect rental.

The first three stages were by far the best, and I wish they had found the time and money to add two more classic stages from Sonic CD and Sonic 3. Hell, I might even welcome a Sonic 4 stage.

Also, I didn't pay much attention to pre-release media, and was surprised and disappointed by the stages they selected. Considering the variety of stages in the Sonic franchise, there were just way too many "city" stages, and they were often back-to-back. Speed Highway into City Escape? And then Crisis City into Rooftop Run? Crisis City almost doesn't count, but generally I feel like I don't play Sonic games to look at buildings.
yeah, there were a lot of city levels, and a lot of introductory levels (green hill, city escape, seaside hill, rooftop run)

AniHawk

CurseoftheGods said:
Rooftop Run wasn't introductory.
i never played unleashed and confused windmill isle (the demo?) with rooftop run.

still, that's a third of the game, unless seaside hill was also not the first level.

Top Bottom