• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
TheOGB said:
I love how when I go out it finally goes up! LOL. Thanks! :)

If I'm getting the FFXIII-2 LE for the OST and dropping my preorder for the LE OST, I'll gladly take this. I was planning on making a big order from Amazon Japan for after Christmas (artbooks, novels, OSTs, etc), so perhaps the $30 import fee to Canada might make sense then.

Amazon.co.jp (be prepared to pay a hefty flat-rate import fee; to where I live, it's $30)
YesAsia.com (might be more expensive than Play-Asia, and certainly more expensive than CD Japan)

I'll be on the lookout for when it goes up on other import sites like Play-Asia and CDJapan. YesAsia generally charges a little bit more than the other import sites, so that's why I don't really recommend them if you're on a budget.

Sciz said:
Way better now.

Combichristoffersen said:
I don't know if the eye got sore or itchy after the 30 minutes of UV-A lights, but it definitely didn't feel good, and due to the riboflavin drops being yellow, I was looking at the world in sepia tones for about an hour after the operation :lol What's the problem with your left eye, if I might ask?
Yeah, riboflavin (vitamin B2 - Ribo (from the sugar); flavus is Latin for "yellow") is usually yellow, so I'd imagine that'd be a detriment to vision for a while. I wonder how the world looks like in sepia tones, though. :O

I was born with strabismus (more specifically, esotropia)... which means I was born cross-eyed (so you can imagine some of my baby pictures, lol), which ended up resulting in amblyopia and regular myopia. As a result of the surgery, I can't cross my eyes, can't look at monitors too long and it's likely why I can't play games in first-person perspective at all without getting dizzy or eye headaches (outside of a few exceptions) since my eyes can't keep up. But since the surgery was done in the late 80s/early 90s, they cut the muscle and tied it in a bow rather than tightened it like they do now (warning: graphic surgery images on the right-hand side), the left eye floats up and to the left without me realizing it (and I guess it kind of freaks some people out or they think I'm looking at them when I'm really not?). It usually happens when I'm tired, or when I strain my eye too much to the point where it twitches a lot.

I didn't get glasses until I was 10 so my vision was never really corrected properly (and my mom didn't want me to wear the patch either because she was afraid I'd have problems with bullies). I do have the option for surgery, but I don't want to do it since it isn't of utmost importance (plus I dislike going under the knife).

Honestly, it isn't much to complain about since other people like you and my boyfriend have worse vision issues.

AniHawk said:
i never played unleashed and confused windmill isle (the demo?) with rooftop run.

still, that's a third of the game, unless seaside hill was also not the first level.

I do agree that there should have been more variety with the level selection. I would have put these levels in the game if I had my way with it:

Sonic 1: Green Hill (doh)
Sonic CD: Stardust Speedway
Sonic 2: Chemical Plant
Sonic 3: Ice Cap or Hydrocity
S&K: Flying Battery or Sky Sanctuary
Sonic Adventure: Red Mountain
Sonic Adventure 2: Final Rush
Sonic Heroes: (never played the game)
Sonic the Hedgehog: (never played it; game should have not been included anyway)
Sonic Unleashed: Arid Sands or Dragon Road
Sonic Colors: a less shitty version of Planet Wisp

Isn't the 2006 game considered non-canon anyway?

AniHawk

CurseoftheGods said:
I do agree that there should have been more variety with the level selection. I would have put these levels in the game if I had my way with it:

Sonic the Hedgehog: (never played it; game should have not been included anyway)

06 eventually became a million seller thanks to being budget price for four years. as far as the story goes, it gets undone within the game itself, meaning future trunks never existed.

FreeMufasa

Watch Da Birdie said:
Yeah, I think the back-three are the best.

The weakest was the Dreamcast generation for me, despite the fact I actually played those games unlike the Modern ones. :/

I really liked the Dreamcast levels. I still think they should have made 3 Sonics though. Whilst they tried their best, i'd have preferred playing that era with the correct gameplay.

But the modern era is great too, Rooftop Run in particular. Oh which reminds me, is there a reason they changed the name from Spagonia?

Berordn

FreeMufasa said:
But the modern era is great too, Rooftop Run in particular. Oh which reminds me, is there a reason they changed the name from Spagonia?
The level was always called Rooftop Run. Every level in the game had a different name from the country (Windmill Isle for Apotos, Dragon Road for Chun-nan, etc.)

CurseoftheGods said:

red mountain ? i dunno tis was a nice level but it lacked ... speed ? crazyness ?

windy valley or sky deck are better choices IMO.

EDIT : how do ou delete your own posts ? i missed my edit .

Alphahawk

Combichristoffersen said:
Crisis City was my favourite level in the game, after GHZ and Chemical Plant, actually :lol

Yeah, I really enjoyed Crisis City also. The thing that strikes me most about the level is how cool Sonic 06 could of been with a little polish. It almost feels like the Crisis city from 06 was in beta and the final is in Generations.

Just completed the game with all S Ranks and Red Rings. The S-Rank for the final boss was a pain because for some reason restart doesn't reset the level like other stages.
I can't get over how well this game turned out. Aside from classic planet wisp and classic Rooftop Run, every stage was amazing. I love how the credits makes you want to replay the entire series again.

TheOGB

Banned
Going through the missions having defeated Time Eater this morning. (fuck you achievement, I couldn't tell I got hit) So far quite a few duds, but nothing too offensive yet.

Although, I have tried Modern's Vector mission...

TheOGB said:
That mission right there!

The other one I remember disliking off the top of my head was boarding through rooftop run. I'd say that stage got the short end of the stick as far as challenges go.

Itchy//Tasty said:
Don't understand the disdain for Classic Rooftop Run personally. Loved that level. Beautiful music, lovely design.

To me, it's much slower than the average classic Sonic level and it feels like there's a lot less paths to boot. It'd flow a lot better if they replaced those air gondolas with platforms so the player doesn't have to wait as long. The whole clock thing near the end was unnecessary as well.

TheOGB

Banned
I just realized how much was going on in that level. First the barrels, then the clock, and then the aircrafts.

That would've been half of a world in Colors.

MIMIC

Banned
Just got the Green Hill under a minute achievement. I figured I could do better and I wanted to get under 54 seconds.....and I got 52.84 ^_^

EDIT: And going on top at the beginning was just by accident. lol I wonder if I can go any faster.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
TheOGB said:
Going through the missions having defeated Time Eater this morning. (fuck you achievement, I couldn't tell I got hit) So far quite a few duds, but nothing too offensive yet.

That mission is the worst mission in the game, imo. Even if you stick close to him and use homing attacks when you hear the prompt to use the attack, it takes a while to fully get through that stupid thing.

I think most of us can agree that Modern Planet Wisp - Challenge 4 (Action Master) is one of the best ones in the game, right?

TheOGB

Banned
Action Master is quite good, quite good indeed, although it (and the whole game, really) would be better without the lightspeed dash IMO.

MechaX

After playing through this in one sitting with my friends, I just have one thing to say;

What in the fuck was SEGA thinking when they designed the Time Eater boss?

AniHawk

watching speedruns for this game and holy fuck at the sub-40 second routes in green hill zone, or the 1:07 run of sky sanctuary.

i was able to get a time of 59.5s on chemical plant zone and hit the top 25 on psn, but that's the closest to the top i'm gonna get.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
CurseoftheGods said:
my only complaint is that the game has a pretty weak, barebones story. great characters such as blaze and silver are underutilized.

Nah, not worth it

TheOGB

Banned
CurseoftheGods said:
my only complaint is that the game has a pretty weak, barebones story. great characters such as blaze and silver are underutilized.
I don't know about the whole Silver thing, but I kinda agree. It seemed even more minimalistic than Colors, which I thought had a good balance. It's like they started cutting the fat and cut a bit too much.

Berordn said:
It's canon, it just canonically makes itself irrelevant outside of introducing Silver.
See, the thing about that is that in 2006, Elise has the blue chaos emerald for the past ten years.
None of the other Sonic games could have happened before it

But I guess in whatever vague canon Sega has, 2006's story or somethign like it happened in some shape or form in another timeline, since Crisis City and Silver show up in Generations. Blaze doesn't recognize it at all so I guess they're just retconning her role in that game out of existence. Silver seems to know Sonic there so... Maybe the one in Generations is Silver from later in his story in 2006? Sort of like Generations' Shadow is presumably from Sonic Adventure 2. I guess that means Metal Sonic is probably from Sonic CD too.

Why am I even thinking about this

I think we should've had Sky Sanctuary and Ice Cap Zone.

Something about the final boss that didn't occur to me until I saw it mentioned in a video for Untouchable: those chunks of rubble that come at you are from the other levels, and each time you hit him, and the screen flashes, it's actually changing era each time, and changes which chunks come at you. (His homing shots also get more accurate.)

I also noticed the clock frames on the outside of the pathway seem to decay, as a small extra touch. Really, though, it's just too busy to really notice what's going on or the little touches they put in.

That's a cool detail about the blimp, I didn't even know there was a blimp in Sonic 1 GG.

TheOGB

Banned
^oh wow, really? that's kinda cool

Hitlersaurus Christ said:
See, the thing about that is that in 2006, Elise has the blue chaos emerald for the past ten years.
None of the other Sonic games could have happened before it

But I guess in whatever vague canon Sega has, 2006's story or somethign like it happened in some shape or form in another timeline, since Crisis City and Silver show up in Generations. Blaze doesn't recognize it at all so I guess they're just retconning her role in that game out of existence. Silver seems to know Sonic there so... Maybe the one in Generations is Silver from later in his story in 2006? Sort of like Generations' Shadow is presumably from Sonic Adventure 2. I guess that means Metal Sonic is probably from Sonic CD too.

Why am I even thinking about this
Because Sega is too incompetent to give us straight answers

GET YOUR SHIT STRAIGHT SO WE DON'T HAVE TO DO ALL THIS THINKING, SEGA

Guys, I was only kidding about the story thing. Last thing we need is more Iblis trigger nonsense.

Sonic Colors and Generations had the perfect amount of story for a platformer, and I loved the tongue in cheek humour and references.

I'm deleting my post so Sega doesn't get any ideas.

I just found out that the 3DS version has no 3D portions in the Modern stages.

Dunno what to think now...

At the very least I can get excited for the Classic and Modern arrangements of Windmill Isle.

qq more

Kulock said:
Something about the final boss that didn't occur to me until I saw it mentioned in a video for Untouchable: those chunks of rubble that come at you are from the other levels, and each time you hit him, and the screen flashes, it's actually changing era each time, and changes which chunks come at you. (His homing shots also get more accurate.)
That is a nice touch. I knew those Chemical Plant chunks looked familiar. lol

SuperAngelo64 said:

At the very least I can get excited for the Classic and Modern arrangements of Windmill Isle.
Not to mention Classic Sonic gets the homing attack and I don't think that's an optional skill from what I've heard a while ago.

The differences between Classic and Modern are slowly fading away the more I hear about the 3DS version. I think the only real difference now is that Modern has Boost. Wtf Dimps?

The game is really weird about the story.

Like, sometimes it gives way too much. I don't need to know why beating a level restores color, I play video games, I have accepted that color restoration is just a thing that happens when I win). Other times it's just "WOW WE FIGURED OUT MORE ABOUT WHAT'S HAPPENING" and doesn't do anything interesting with the concept the game is based on.

I mean, where's classic Amy and Knuckles? This would have been an excellent time to lampoon Sonic 2006 being terrible or having a classic Shadow that is just normal Shadow but angstier.

Instead it's mostly just the same cutscene over and over with a kind of strange overbearing pro-modern Sonic bias (the "race" for the chaos emerald might as well have included captions that say "MODERN SONIC CAN DO SO MUCH MORE, WHY DON'T YOU OLDER ASSHOLES LIKE HIM").

Mistle

Currently no. 13 in the world for Sky Sanctuary Act 2 (1:54:60). This is the first time I've ever attempted speed running in the Sonic game, and it's actually really fun!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I honestly thought the narrative was going to be better than what we got. I liked the dialogue, though. I would have liked more banter between both Robotniks, and I would have liked to have seen Classic versions of every character (especially Knuckles and Amy since they exist).

SuperAngelo64 said:

The only thing that separates Modern and Classic is the Boost Gauge. The only thing I've seen that resembles a behind-the-back segment is the Sonic Heroes-esque special stage.

Kulock said:
Yes, despite my dislike for the final boss, I thought the debris and the added stronger attacks were a nice touch. Even then, it could have been handled a lot better.

And that makes 59/49. 2k6, Unleashed, Generations, come at me SEGA!

ShockingAlberto said:
Instead it's mostly just the same cutscene over and over with a kind of strange overbearing pro-modern Sonic bias (the "race" for the chaos emerald might as well have included captions that say "MODERN SONIC CAN DO SO MUCH MORE, WHY DON'T YOU OLDER ASSHOLES LIKE HIM").
They gotta sell that new stuff somehow. They give them equal share for the first 1/3 but after that classic has no reason to appear until the Final Boss.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
spindashing said:
I will beat your :50.90, QisTopTier ... since you're the only guy on my friendlist who actually did some of the ranking attacks. =(

Edit: Got :54.26 just now. HNGHHH.
LOL This felt so random to read. I should start speed running all the stages for reals. I did that after like 5 minutes of goofing around XD

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ShockingAlberto said:
The game is really weird about the story.

Like, sometimes it gives way too much. I don't need to know why beating a level restores color, I play video games, I have accepted that color restoration is just a thing that happens when I win). Other times it's just "WOW WE FIGURED OUT MORE ABOUT WHAT'S HAPPENING" and doesn't do anything interesting with the concept the game is based on.

I mean, where's classic Amy and Knuckles? This would have been an excellent time to lampoon Sonic 2006 being terrible or having a classic Shadow that is just normal Shadow but angstier.

I've always felt the entire reason for this game was pandering to classic diehards after the reaction to Sonic 4. Like, Generations was in development before that, but they didn't add classic Sonic until sometime later. I assume they added him when Sonic 4 hit the fan.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Andrex said:
I've always felt the entire reason for this game was pandering to classic diehards after the reaction to Sonic 4. Like, Generations was in development before that, but they didn't add classic Sonic until sometime later. I assume they added him when Sonic 4 hit the fan.
Please don't say that, it makes me sad to think of all the crazy ass redone old stages we could of had for modern sonic.

Top Bottom