• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Teknoman

Also Generations 3DS has one thing over HD...they seem to actually use the shield power ups in game instead of just having them as challenge specifics/skills. Of course i've only run into one.

Also Generations 3DS has one thing over HD...they seem to actually use the shield power ups in game instead of just having them as challenge specifics/skills. Of course i've only run into one.

Hate to disappoint you, but the only "elemental" shield in it is the lightning one, and it's Sonic Advance/Adventure style, IE no double jump.

Sciz

Aha, I've been looking for a way to decrease my time for that. Is it just a glitch (because other levels have it too), or is it just the way the game loads new structures in and it isn't keeping up with you since you did something that the system didn't predict?

That's just how the game loads textures. It relies on the player hitting a trigger in the level to make the call to load up the next section, and skipping them means the call never gets made. The glitch is being able to dodge the trigger.

Is it just me, or is Spikes (Classic Planet Wisp) really awful to control? Like it does all sorts of glitchy things when you're trying to jump, gets sort of stuck trying to work around certain pieces of the environment, it's just such a pain to use.

I was gathering the last of my Red Rings for Classic Sonic and getting everything S-Ranked, and even when I knew exactly where to go, wrangling the pink blur was a mess. I had an easier time cheating through sections with my Bubble Shield when I could.

Also, it didn't happen tonight, but a night or two ago I was doing the Doppleganger Race on Classic Planet Wisp, and I was near the end, I jumped as Spikes Sonic, and I guess the pathing got freaked out. I flew toward the screen, sort of curved around in this long awkward jump (stayed Spikes all the while), then it finally dumped me off back inside the building, just after that part with the giant hollow saw you jump through the middle of. This wouldn't have been so bad... except the game closes a bunch of blast doors after you pass this point, and there was no way for me to backtrack to take a different path without dying... come to think of it, I'm not even sure that was an option.

Funny thing is, the Doppleganger stopped so I could try to catch up. Awfully considerate of it. (Strange how it doesn't have a proper "Spikes" animation, though.)

Just got hit with a sonic generations xbl update, this is new right? I don't remember seeing one yesterday lunchtime.

It's definitely new, I just booted up the game again and got it. 3 MB.

Edit: I checked to see if the existing Statue Room codes work, and they still do.

Edit 2: Characters still chatter their heads off during the Time Eater fight. No option to Replay with the Y button still, just to see the ending with A. For some reason it seemed a little brighter or easier to see things somehow, but I'm almost entirely sure this is a placebo effect.

This was probably just to prep for DLC, maybe it fixed one or two out-of-bounds glitches, but that's it I'd guess.

Actually, did it always tell you to boost with the X button with an on-screen prompt at the start? I restarted the fight on normal to test something else, and I didn't remember that happening before. But I probably always just do it out of habit before it can tell me.

On a side note, if you intentionally fail the LB+RB moment, he won't switch to 2D mode after that, and you can't catch up with him, so you can just farm rings to your heart's content. Hit the 999 cap, beat it with 979. I basically spent over 15 minutes listening to "Free" with some annoying people talking over it, and I still got a C or a B with my Perfect Bonus.

Edit 3 (4, whatever), I can still go Out of Bounds in Rooftop Run using the Thunder Shield. I will say the Rouge the Temptress mission might have been improved, it doesn't seem to have the noticeable lag, or as noticeable? Otherwise, this is DLC prep or something.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I honestly don't see how people can argue that playing as modern Sonic is a "chore". Even if you much prefer classic Sonic, the modern Sonic segments are by no means bad.

Modern Sonic was OK, even if he had a slight tad too many of those 'lol the game plays itself' areas where Sonic just goes boosting straight ahead. Classic Sonic was the one I enjoyed the most, personally.

Lijik

I'd like to also confirm the 40 coins for registering with Club Nintendo without doing the PP survey

I'd like to also share this picture I found of everyone's favorite cake:
800px-The_Original_Sonic_Team.jpg

It just looks so smug

JonCha

Modern Sonic was OK, even if he had a slight tad too many of those 'lol the game plays itself' areas where Sonic just goes boosting straight ahead. Classic Sonic was the one I enjoyed the most, personally.

I would actually see boost become an item box where the bar gradually decreases, and once gone you have to wait for the next item box. Likewise the the homing attack for Classic Sonic, which could be represented as shields and it flickers faster and faster until it goes. Would make a big difference IMO.

Also, that costume is great.

Seik

Banned
I'd like to also confirm the 40 coins for registering with Club Nintendo without doing the PP survey

It just looks so smug

I never NEVER NEVER thought, not even a single nanosecond, that this cake was somehow 'official'

My god, I hate it so much more. D:

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

It just looks so smug
It obviously thinks it's one of the best cakes ever created with his face on it. :p

*giggles* I love that cake. Brightens my day when I see it. It's so bad, it's good.

It obviously thinks it's one of the best cakes ever created with his face on it. :p

*giggles* I love that cake. Brightens my day when I see it. It's so bad, it's good.

And just like when the cake was first shown in the thread, I can't stop laughing at it.
KuGsj.gif

EDIT: I'm about 90% ready to just make a Sonic Community thread, but I don't have the artistic chops to make a nice OP.

EDIT: I'm about 90% ready to just make a Sonic Community thread, but I don't have the artistic chops to make a nice OP.

We really, really need to nail down the rules and guidelines first, and make sure a mod is on-board through the first turbulent period. There will be people who try to crap it up almost immediately regardless of what the OP says, and we need those people to be slapped down as some hard examples if we're going to have any hope of long-term success.

We really, really need to nail down the rules and guidelines first, and make sure a mod is on-board through the first turbulent period. There will be people who try to crap it up almost immediately regardless of what the OP says, and we need those people to be slapped down as some hard examples if we're going to have any hope of long-term success.

I have a basic rules guideline down, not to worry. The only thing I really need to do is coordinate with someone for images (nothing huge or overly fancy; simple is best) and contact a mod and ask for help with possible derailment.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I have a basic rules guideline down, not to worry. The only thing I really need to do is coordinate with someone for images (nothing huge or overly fancy; simple is best) and contact a mod and ask for help with possible derailment.
It's at times like these when I wish I knew my way around GIMP better. It's too bad. :/

It's just for the first week when the thread is in Gaming. When it's transferred to Community, I don't think there would be much of a problem afterwards since it doesn't seem like a lot of people go into Community (I've noticed that not many people posted in the FF Community Thread after it got moved, for example).

Is Sonic CD Coming out this month - generations made me think of it.
It should be out by the end of the year. Who knows now, though...

Could you go ahead and post what they are?

- Discussion of all games is allowed with the exception of Generations which belongs in the OT
- New news goes in its own thread, or in a related thread
- Fan art is tolerated, but keep it clean; don't overload posts with nothing but fanart (a limit on images per post, for instance)

It'll be formatted differently, of course, but you get the general idea.

(Double-posting since this one's big, and a bit separate from the Community discussion.)

Last night's patch left me a little disappointed. I know they only get a limited number of patches before it starts costing money, and they take a while to go through approval, so I'd prefer they save up for one big bugfix patch if possible, instead of a single hotfix or two. Here's a laundry list of some of the things I think they should fix, or might have a chance of patching in without separate DLC, feel free to suggest anything I missed:

-Allow changing music for Time Attack gameplay. That's really where people need it the most.
-Allow changing music via the Pause menu while in a level. Maybe they can't do it due to how the music system works, but I hope they could figure it out.
-Restarting a Stage does not use up a life.
-Holding Select/Back for a little over half a second will restart the stage.
-Dying before the first checkpoint in a stage or mission and being reset to the beginning resets your Perfect Bonus eligibility. You shouldn't have to Restart again if you've already been sent back to the beginning of the stage.
-Fix known Out-of-Bounds glitches and exploits. These are fun, obviously, but do nasty things to the time attacks and such, and some of them are too easy to trigger by mistake. This would include tweaking the shields so they can't do their double-jump action if your controls are otherwise significantly locked.
-Similarly, fix some of the environment collision issues in the missions, where they seem to crop up more often.
-Fix camera confusion when possible, but I admit those are probably hard to pinpoint. It's obvious the camera gets "stuck" occasionally being told to look at Sonic a certain way, even if he's way past that point.
-Dopplegangers need a couple of animations fixed, including proper Wisp animations, instead of being stuck in their "about to transform" pose.
-Make it easier to tell the Doppleganger apart from Sonic. It's not a big deal, but sometimes you've got two hedgehogs hopping around the same bit of platforming, and it can get confusing. Maybe even add an arrow icon above it with "VS" or "Rival" above it, just so you can more easily distinguish the ghost hedgehog.
-Wisp Powers should absolutely have a meter. It doesn't have to be huge, just a thin bar near the icon. (I realize the game sometimes cheats how long you have Wisp powers, the bar could still sit on mostly-empty then.)
-Jumping with Spikes Wisp is very glitchy, like you get stuck inside the floor before you can get off the ground sometimes, but this might not be easily fixable.
-Rocket needs to be consistent. Either you can stock another rocket while already shooting up, or you can't stock one while charging up.
-Add a +10 Lives item to the shop, maybe even a +99 one.
-Modern Super Sonic's flight paths need major fixing, or just remove the feature in lieu of Infinite Boost or something.
-The cutscene viewer should include the "Restoring Character" cutscenes, and all cutscenes that have two different perspectives (which is a surprising number) should be available to watch, not just the version you saw the first time.

Unfortunately, I doubt the physics can be touched without breaking too much, so I don't think Classic Super Sonic would be improved, or rolling altered. (That might have a major side-effect on the Doppleganger races as well.)

The Final Boss gets a special section:
-The Final Boss has a "Retry" Y/Triangle Button option on the tally screen like every other level and mission in the game.
-Instead of just a "Boost" prompt, show a unique "Boost for the Core!" help text on the screen, similar to how Shadow's Rival battle gets special tutorial text on-screen.
-Don't replay the introductory speech if the player dies.
-Lower the frequency of characters calling out shots or recommending you switch between 2D and 3D. They should advise you the first few times, then sparingly afterward.
-On Hard Mode, a slightly edited version of this voice sample of Tails plays instead of the usual intro, and then no voices afterward. Looks like they couldn't modify those transceivers!
-Classic Sonic teleports with you during era changes if you shot him out before one.
-In 2D mode, increase the speed Modern Sonic shoots out at. Ideally he might follow the angle of the tunnel, or in the direction of the boss, instead of a straight line?
-The boss needs to understand when you have and have not switched between 2D and 3D, and still attack you properly. Your controls ALSO need to understand this, since sometimes they lock into vertical-only 2D mode while in 3D incorrectly until you re-boost.
-Having troubles or completely being unable to move when near the edges of the time tunnel sucks.
-Fix how the final attack looks in 2D mode, it sort of clips past the camera and disappears. (You're not supposed to be able to see it in 2D mode, but if you switch just after the third hit, it can happen.)
-The attack that can freeze a Sonic in place is way too quiet, it's usually passed before you realize it's even been fired.
-Debris doesn't count toward Can't Touch This. It's too hard to see it coming sometimes.

I'd honestly like it if they rebalanced the boss fight too, at least, have clearer progress, better ring patterns, less "wonk" to the attacking arms (deflecting you when they're just resetting for example), and so on, but that's probably too much to hope for.

And if they could pull it off, recorded Time Attack Ghosts. This unfortunately might be impossible on consoles, due to memory limitations, it's hard to say. The Doppleganger races are a big tease in this regard.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
- Discussion of all games is allowed with the exception of Generations which belongs in the OT
- Fan art is tolerated, but keep it clean; don't overload posts with nothing but fanart (a limit on images per post, for instance)

Sounds familiar...

It needs a little more than that, I think. For unfortunate example, "Fat Amy" art could easily be "clean," but still troll material. I think we need to approach this from the opposite perspective; basically saying "It's been done before, you're not clever if you do it, we'll just roll our eyes and watch you be banned, so it's really not worth it." We still are accepting of fan art, either that you think is excellent or that you're putting real effort into yourself, but don't bother scouring DA for fetish pictures, ugly photo edits, and drawings by kids too young to know better.

I would also like something in there basically amounting to "Don't post about the Sonic Cycle if you don't know what it actually describes," and something about "Posting a Penny Arcade comic from 2001" we've all seen before basically being really unoriginal.

And it would be awesome to not have to hear about Chris-chan every five posts, too.

Finally got this for 3DS last night after searching for a shop selling it. It's pretty fun and quite pretty, but, man, I haven't played a Sonic game in about 10 years and I am so out of practice!

Just had my first game crash just now, trying to S rank planet wisp modern the game hung while hitting some springs about 30 seconds in, maybe I am too fast for the blast processing :p

OMG Aero

Do you know exactly what you want for the images? I might be able to help out.

Did someone here say that the lightning shield was unable to double jump? because it's working for me along with magnetic ring grabbing.

I wish these shields were placed in levels instead of just challenges or spawning with one as a perk.

JonCha

Ahahaha, there's no escaping from that damn cake.

So the community thread is actually going to happen now?
Looks that way. Would be good if Shadi could do a header again, but I think he may be away at the moment. I'd like something different to this thread's header, though.

There's a mod to play as Shadow but it kinda sucks so far
and will when it's finished because it is shadow :p
Actually, for the amount of time the game's been out, that's kind of impressive, that they're swapping around animations and everything.

So wait. I can't unlock any more missions because Nintendo came out with Find Mii 2?

:p
"You walked 500 miles, and then you walked 500 more? Here's 10 Play Coins!"

They really should've raised the daily cap.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

If you're planning on making it more like the Pokemon Community Thread with info regarding the comics, cartoons, OVA, music, games, etc. I'll help out with that when I have time.

But it's still good if it's like the Zelda Thread (with random facts about Zelda thrown into the OP) or the Final Fantasy Thread (vanilla). It doesn't really seem matter because we can always add to it later (plus I doubt people check the OP after the thread moves on from the first few pages, lol). Most of the people posting in the community threads will know about those things anyway now that I think about it.

There's a mod to play as Shadow but it kinda sucks so far
and will when it's finished because it is shadow :p
This is still kind of impressive in terms of animations and gameplay, though. His running animation is still lol.

Top Bottom