• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

picked up sonic generations during black friday sales cause I've always been a sonic fan even tho I'm older now, I still enjoy some sonic if its good and damn, this game is pretty fucking good compared to all the trash that's been released. (I assumed it would be judging from the videos and demo).

with that said...Playing this game reminded me of the Crazy ass people who use to post on some sonic Message board about wanting to Have sex with sonic and have sonic rape them or some shit......does anyone have a link to that board so I may laugh?

Articalys

Looks like they're making a Sonic Nendoroid figure, to be released next April:

GF89t.jpg

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
with that said...Playing this game reminded me of the Crazy ass people who use to post on some sonic Message board about wanting to Have sex with sonic and have sonic rape them or some shit......does anyone have a link to that board so I may laugh?

You're thinking of Alyx Henriol and the Sonic Passion forums, but the forum went belly up a few years ago, I think. And nothing of value was lost.

TheOGB

Banned
Looks like they're making a Sonic Nendoroid figure, to be released next April:

GF89t.jpg

Another look at the future.

Believe it.

Turns out to be retelling of Adventure games with less suck, effectively a massive post-Genesis do-over; masses cheer, kids don't know any better, everything went better than expected

and then I wake up to vomit

EDIT: I guess those complaining about the grin didn't see this or this

I still do not get what the "Classic Sonic" fans deal is with Sonic needing to look cute and cuddly. Honestly... the Generations version of Classic does not really remind me of Sonic from the Genesis games in terms of animations or attitude. It's like he's some Sonic/Mickey Mouse hybrid. If you look at the sprites and art from the Genesis games he still looks like kind of a snarky dick.

Throavium

I still do not get what the "Classic Sonic" fans deal is with Sonic needing to look cute and cuddly. Honestly... the Generations version of Classic does not really remind me of Sonic from the Genesis games in terms of animations or attitude. It's like he's some Sonic/Mickey Mouse hybrid. If you look at the sprites and art from the Genesis games he still looks like kind of a snarky dick.

qq more

At least he didn't have that fucking stupid grin. That bothers me so much.

EDIT:

He didn't even look like a dick unless you're counting the ugly-ass american boxarts.

Maybe he was a little too happy sometimes, but in general they nailed his facial expressions, and they really nailed his animations. Especially when people hacked the game to get him in 3D, like in the video I linked above, there's points where my brain just goes "S$*&*&#&* GENESIS IN 3D" because it clicks so well.

And I prefer Classic Sonic overreacting to things versus "1 Expression" Modern Sonic. Okay, two when he frowns. (And sometimes a really awful third when he's surprised.) I'm not saying Modern Sonic is always that way, but they generally are afraid to break his "cool" look.

Anth0ny

He still resembles Genesis Sonic 1000000x more than Modern Sonic does.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Maybe he was a little too happy sometimes, but in general they nailed his facial expressions, and they really nailed his animations. Especially when people hacked the game to get him in 3D, like in the video I linked above, there's points where my brain just goes "S$*&*&#&* GENESIS IN 3D" because it clicks so well.

And I prefer Classic Sonic overreacting to things versus "1 Expression" Modern Sonic. Okay, two when he frowns. (And sometimes a really awful third when he's surprised.) I'm not saying Modern Sonic is always that way, but they generally are afraid to break his "cool" look.
I could have said something snarky about my gender liking cute stuff in general, but the above nails exactly the reasons why I liked the Classic model in Generations so much. Plus I'd say he's more like Felix the Cat than Mickey Mouse. >.>

Honestly, couldn't have put it better myself... even down to the "makes Modern Sonic look less expressive" bit.

Rlan

I think all my issues with Generations would be fixed with two changes.

1. If I'm in the air with Modern Sonic and press boost, he will boost in the DIRECTION I'M POINTING WITH THE CONTROLLER, and not the way he's facing.

2. Classic Sonic has the ability to turn to whichever side I want him to spindash by changing the direction of the stick.

Going through some of the newer glitch videos for Generations, watching Sonic rebound in this one is a bit funny: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ok3709A3vc

1. If I'm in the air with Modern Sonic and press boost, he will boost in the DIRECTION I'M POINTING WITH THE CONTROLLER, and not the way he's facing.
Weird thing about Generations 3DS is that sometimes Sonic boosts in the opposite direction of the way he's facing. Like if I'm pressing straight down to crouch, he's looking right, I press boost... he boost left. It's messed me up several times, and I can't figure out a rhyme or reason to it.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

Looking at his visual design, Sonic was basically a recoloured Mickey Mouse since day 1. But anyway, his Classic design in Generations looks far closer to his original design than the Modern version does.

RagnarokX

I thought Sonic Generations messed up a bit personality-wise (acting too young), but Classic Sonic's look was spot-on.

I'm not trying to say that Modern Sonic looks closer to Genesis Sonic, in fact I don't know why that's even being brought, it's not a contest.

It's also not like emulating the original Sonic to a T design-wise is some holy grail anyhow. I've always thought Yuji Uekawa's Sonic was a great step forward.

Weird thing about Generations 3DS is that sometimes Sonic boosts in the opposite direction of the way he's facing. Like if I'm pressing straight down to crouch, he's looking right, I press boost... he boost left. It's messed me up several times, and I can't figure out a rhyme or reason to it.
I think that because of the Circle Pad, when you press even slightly past center down, you'll turn around, and when you dash or whatever, you'll go that way.

I think that because of the Circle Pad, when you press even slightly past center down, you'll turn around, and when you dash or whatever, you'll go that way.

I've tested it with the D-Pad though, holding straight down, and pressing the boost button. No direction other than down.

Finally picked up the 3DS version today since I enjoyed the PC version so much. It is crazy to me that the Versus mode isn't a feature in the console version, it is a pretty cool idea. The editable profile card is pretty cool too. Haven't gotten too far in, just cleared the first boss gate, but I am enjoying it so far.

Can someone explain what to do on the final boss? I can't even hit the thing and just die from lack of rings.

You have to catch the final boss by holding down the boost. Once you're close enough, you will automatically attack his core.

General tips:

• Stay aligned with the boss to catch up to him faster.
  • 2D mode isn't really worth dealing with as a means of attack. Use it to dodge attacks (notably the laser), or as an easier way to get more rings if you're low.
  • If you decide to stay in 2D Mode, pay attention to the direction the lines are "flowing". Flying inside of lines flowing forward will speed you up, and lines flowing backward will slow you down.
  • Most of the time when you get in close, he'll clap his hands to knock you away. He telegraphs this pretty well, so just align with his face when this happens and you'll keep pushing forward and dodge the clap attack.
  • You can fire the other Sonic like a projectile to destroy homing shots and debris, but you have to wait for him to return before it'll let you switch between 2D/3D modes. This takes ESPECIALLY long in 2D mode.

I don't really understand the whole boss key thing. I've beaten Green Hill and Chemical Plant as good Sonic and new Sonic, what are these challenge acts the game is talking about?

Also there's no cheat or anything to bypass all new Sonic acts, is there?

Nabs

I don't really understand the whole boss key thing. I've beaten Green Hill and Chemical Plant as good Sonic and new Sonic, what are these challenge acts the game is talking about?

The challenge acts are above the main acts. You have to complete one in each zone to unlock the boss.

Give "new Sonic" a chance, this game might actually change your mind about him. (No, you can't really bypass him unless you download a save for PC or something.)

The Challenge Acts don't appear until you've passed all three zones for an area. Those useless areas above the stage suddenly fill up with them. You only need to beat one challenge for each zone, and it can be with either Sonic.

You should also go ahead and take out the rival that appears (Metal Sonic in your case), since you'll have to eventually anyway.

Sigh... Thanks guys. I did give new Sonic a chance but I just don't care for that style of gameplay. Oh well I played the first three acts of old Sonic, that's good enough for me I suppose.

Top Bottom