• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Sonic Community |OT| No Shitty Friends (We're Allowed to Have One)
|OT| Now With 73% More Blast Processing
|OT| Now With New Lock-on Technology
|OT| Where Hills Are Green and Palmtrees Are Panicking
|OT| Co-developed by Dimps

Been playing around with the 3DS version for the past few days, and I've gotta say I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm glad they decided not to cheap out with the music, either. <3 Modern Mushroom Hill Zone.

The 3D makes the game look super vibrant, too. The level design isn't quite as great as the HD versions', but that was a given.

Probably my favorite handheld Sonic title so far.

i think you mean harping. everybody knew what he was referring to, that doesn't make it any less stupid.

No, I mean herping. As in herp derp. As in "herp derp look at me, I'm 0 HP. Everything on the internet is serious, character judging business and nobody ever just fucks around".

0 HP

well either way, stuff like this is why sonic fans get judged the way they do. i feel like im the retard for liking sonic after reading these threads sometimes

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
jesus christ.

shit like this is why sonic fans are looked at as morons. i wish i could quote your digimon avatar for emphasis
Half of these titles are essentially joke titles, however. Nothing wrong with joking around or being silly in here.

Though I'm quite sure that some Sonic fans are looked down upon based on shitty fanart/fanfiction/AMVs/whatever odd stuff is out there. Not necessarily about their tendency to joke around about the series in general and take jokes shot at the series themselves.

jesus christ.

shit like this is why sonic fans are looked at as morons. i wish i could quote your digimon avatar for emphasis

1) Get the imgur plugin for whatever browser you're using. Very useful for quickly uploading images, especially if you want to avatar quote someone.

2)

ibfgNk72WX93zC.gif

Synless

I might get hanged for this, but I enjoyed this game more than Mario Galxy 1 & 2. Not to say it was a better quality game, but for me it was far more enjoyable.

WillyFive

I might get hanged for this, but I enjoyed this game more than Mario Galxy 1 & 2. Not to say it was a better quality game, but for me it was far more enjoyable.

Not that big a deal. The Galaxy games were much slower, so if you liked the sense of exhilaration and speed that Sonic brings, then no problem with that.

Sonic Generation's stages are definitely much better to speedrun than Mario's.

JonCha

I actually still think a lot more can be done with stages in Sonic games. They're good, but they don't have that epic factor that Galaxy 2 had where you really get into the game.a.d focusing.

Christopher

I actually still think a lot more can be done with stages in Sonic games. They're good, but they don't have that epic factor that Galaxy 2 had where you really get into the game.a.d focusing.

Chemical Plant Zone and Crisis City definitly did...Galaxy 2 didn't have an epic factor at all.

Chemical Plant Zone and Crisis City definitly did...Galaxy 2 didn't have an epic factor at all.

I guess this depends what "epic" is used for, Mario doesn't have crumbling stages that go all out with exploding backgrounds but it has moments of platforming that make me think "that was epic!" (Wicked Wall jumps! funnily enough the appearance of that stage is completely bland). Sonic could use more of that, the series has a tendency to show something awesome rather than let you play something awesome.
Taking chemical plant for example, I love that modern stage but when the place starts exploding to pieces the level itself stays very much the same and is rather unaffected by the chaos in the background. This sort of "epic" event loses its effect when I notice that it barely affects the gameplay, the sense of urgency is lost. Also See the gun truck in modern city escape, it was much better to me the first time than the following reruns when the realization hits that the truck itself isn't much threat at all, the classic stage version on the other hand was done very well with the truck affecting the level layout.
Crisis City does a better job with this, the final section of the classic stage is a good example of creating a solid section of platforming around the "epic factor" mentioned.

FreeMufasa

I think the Sonic Unleashed day time stages were good at this.

Do you know what SEGA should do? Get the day time stages from Unleashed, fix em, change the gameplay to colours/generations and get put it on live/psn for $10.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, you won't by me. I get what you're saying because I agree with you too.

SMG 1 and 2 were two of the best 3D platformers I have ever played. The controls are tight, the mechanics are solid, the level design and aesthetics are superb, and the score is just... outta this world. They were two utterly fantastic platformers, nearly perfect (I say "nearly" because... uh, sometimes they made me dizzy and I had to play them in short spurts). In that respect, I can't wait to get my hands on Super Mario 3D Land this Christmas.

But I enjoyed... Colours, for example, more than Super Mario Galaxy 2 the year both of those were released. I feel the same way about Generations--I enjoyed it more than the two Galaxy games even though the mechanics or control aren't as solid or refined as the Galaxy games at all. Sometimes both series can be like apples and oranges depending on what both want to get across to the player.

...and yeah, Galaxy 2 did have an "epic" factor... it can be utterly breathtaking, or some of the stuff you do gameplay-wise is pretty cool.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Thought did you prefer Colours because you're a bigger Sonic than Mario fan?
Yeeeeah, that might have something to do with it too. :lol

Doesn't change the fact that I had been enjoying Mario's console output more than Sonic's up to that point. Colours blew me away even though I thought it looked good before.

TheOGB

Banned
Gotta go fast

So I blazed through the game on 360 since I already did so on PC and I gotta say... I'm really mad at myself for never listening to Seaside Hill's Modern mix all the way through and finding out that Ocean Palace was included in it. :V

Lijik

Gotta go fast

So I blazed through the game on 360 since I already did so on PC and I gotta say... I'm really mad at myself for never listening to Seaside Hill's Modern mix all the way through and finding out that Ocean Palace was included in it. :V
I need to go look through my dashboard to find muscular sonic running with no regard for stop signs
That one was my favorite, it was so goofy

branny

In that respect, I can't wait to get my hands on Super Mario 3D Land this Christmas.
Considering how much it seems our tastes align, I'm hoping you'll adore it as much as I do. As a big fan of SMB3 and SMW, it's the only 3D Mario I've played that's totally clicked with me.

I'm really liking Rush, by the way, and can't wait to get started on Colors DS after that. :D

Satchel

Banned
Just ordered this for $48AU for PS3. My PS3 library needs to grow, and this is a SP focused game anyway.

Loved the demo, so really looking forward to it arriving in the mail.

Teknoman

Considering how much it seems our tastes align, I'm hoping you'll adore it as much as I do. As a big fan of SMB3 and SMW, it's the only 3D Mario I've played that's totally clicked with me.

I'm really liking Rush, by the way, and can't wait to get started on Colors DS after that. :D

Honestly 3Dland is like Mario 3 in 3D. Right down to the art style.

TheOGB

Banned
It's almost hilarious how broken Egg Dragoon seems to be in Generations. So much weird shit happening, so much frustration...

And then more frustration. Then blinding rage.

Well that's a bit of an overstatement, but fuck Egg Dragoon on Hard.

Top Bottom