• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Considering how much it seems our tastes align, I'm hoping you'll adore it as much as I do. As a big fan of SMB3 and SMW, it's the only 3D Mario I've played that's totally clicked with me.

I'm really liking Rush, by the way, and can't wait to get started on Colors DS after that. :D
Honestly 3Dland is like Mario 3 in 3D. Right down to the art style.
These sound like very very good things. It hypes me up even more. Now if only we got a proper Yoshi's Island sequel... :O

And branny, I hope you like Colours DS as much as I did (since it has another post-final boss if you fulfill the right conditions). I liked the level design and wisps a lot.

Pretty sure 360 version has the advantage on all counts.
Correct. Its framerate is superior to the PS3 version's.

Nabs

Man, I got it for PS3, but it makes me want to double dip on the pc. (recently got a new computer...)

I mean...
iybkIN3Dclhq0.jpg

iDKTSqZ30yoZ6.jpg

It's worth it. Wait a week or two and grab it on sale.

Lijik

Since the community thread isn't up, an update on my Sonic Rush playthough:
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK ALTITUDE LIMIT

ShadiWulf

I had an insight into a future interview with iizuka-san for Episode II

Classic Sonic? *laugh* No. Classic Sonic was a gimmick for Sonic Generations, he won't be coming back! We are inventing a new modern Sonic for the future.

Lijik

I had an insight into a future interview with iizuka-san for Episode II

"For this next game, I wanted to answer an interesting question: What if Sonic was a human being? So I got the go ahead to make Shenmue 3 starring Sonic. I hope gamers will really enjoy this fresh new direction!"

ShadiWulf

"For this next game, I wanted to answer an interesting question: What if Sonic was a human being? So I got the go ahead to make Shenmue 3 starring Sonic. I hope gamers will really enjoy this fresh new direction!"

XD that reminds me of a tweet i saw this morning

I will never share my great Sonic ideas with PlatinumGames again! They stole the great name of Revengence the Hedgehog I was going to use!

http://twitter.com/#!/IizukaTakashi/status/146174573270925312

Satchel

Banned
I know everyone is saying get the 360 version, but I'v ealready ordered the PS3 one.

Is the difference really that substantial? Like Bayonetta or Rage substantial?

Because seriously, my PS3 library is pretty anemic, and it needs games, and I figured this was a game that would be pretty close to parity, and it's SP focused so I figured I'd get it on PS3.

ShadiWulf

I know everyone is saying get the 360 version, but I'v ealready ordered the PS3 one.

Is the difference really that substantial? Like Bayonetta or Rage substantial?

Because seriously, my PS3 library is pretty anemic, and it needs games, and I figured this was a game that would be pretty close to parity, and it's SP focused so I figured I'd get it on PS3.

It's nowhere near as bad as Bayonetta, load times are longer, Graphics are a bit blurrier due to the method of anti-alising used. The game has random.. stutters that aren't very often, but it's mainly in the early levels for some reason, they aren't that game interrupting.

PS3 version is fine, you will still enjoy the game a lot =) obviously the 360 or PC version would be better, though.

Satchel

Banned
It's nowhere near as bad as Bayonetta, load times are longer, Graphics are a bit blurrier due to the method of anti-alising used. The game has random.. stutters that aren't very often, but it's mainly in the early levels for some reason, they aren't that game interrupting.

PS3 version is fine, you will still enjoy the game a lot =) obviously the 360 or PC version would be better, though.

In all honesty my reasons for choosing the PS3 version aren't all that logical, but I literally just have too many 360 games at this point, and I'm tired of just adding to the backog.

My PS3 has less games than even my Wii for fucks sake.

So I just bought Rage for PS3 ( :( ), and just ordered Sonic Generations and Uncharted 3 the other day. I need to bulk up the list. That's actually my main reason for choosing the PS3 version.

ShadiWulf

In all honesty my reasons for choosing the PS3 version aren't all that logical, but I literally just have too many 360 games at this point, and I'm tired of just adding to the backog.

So I just bought Rage for PS3 ( :( ), and just ordered Sonic Generations and Uncharted 3 the other day. I need to bulk up the list. That's actually my main reason for choosing the PS3 version.

I'm stuck with the PS3 version myself. xD

It's really not much worse then the 360 version. I noticed the 360 version has more framerate slowdown then the PS3. I've noticed it badly on speed highway when running down the building for example, but the PC version is on a whole another level above the console versions.

But all the versions do have random stuttering near the water for some reason(especially in chemical plant) =/ Sonic Team must have trouble coding with the Hedgehog Engine, or it's just a badly coded engine to begin with.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

I played the PS3 version of Sonic Generations. It's fine outside of a few noticeable framerate drops (mostly in Chemical Plant) and longer load times. Outside of those issues, I didn't really have a lot of problems with it.

If you can get the 360 or PC versions of it, then by all means. The PS3 version isn't that far off from the 360 version, though.

i have teh PS3 version ... it's perfectly playable ... load times are longer than needed ..but nothing that will make you dislike the game

s7Gxm.jpg

TGS 2001 birthed this... thing.

The weird thing is, it's almost like "What if they tried to make a Sonic Battle Network?"

Something I only just now noticed: Everything he's wearing is "connected". His ear piece, sunglasses, watch, shoes, mobile phone and his gaming device all have the same red-tipped antenna on them.

For an image made ten years ago, that's actually impressively forward-thinking, especially given how dramatically the whole concept of being "connected" has transformed in those ten years.

Got the last achievement I needed today, for the full 1000G. "Can't Touch This" is bullshit (though I must admit, once I found a pattern, it wasn't too bad, though I only found that pattern through enduring many failed and infuriating attempts, not to mention struggling with the awful controls).

I'm glad you aren't required to beat all the challenges/rivals/bosses on S-rank in order to get all the achievements, as although most are easy, there are a few hair-tearingly hard ones (the Vector music one can fuck right off), and I'm pretty much done with the game for the time being.

I might trade it in tomorrow, and then buy it on Steam when it goes on sale (which I suspect will be quite soon).

Lijik

Still slowly working my way through the mission mode in the 3DS version
I think its kind of funny that Im enjoying these so much because I hate them in 3D sonic games. They should totally add a mission mode to Sonic 4 ep 2. Even if its more Ep 1 mediocreness I think I'd enjoy it more

Tuck

Finally got the game (PS3). Its really good!

There was noticeable input lag in the demo, but its pretty much gone. Jump feels a bit weird still, but it is much more manageable.

Classic Sonic is great, though I find it very hard to see when moving fast, and the backgrounds can be distracting at times.

Modern Sonic is incredible.
-Green Hill Zone was simple, but had some cool alternate paths.
-Chemical plant was better, with a bit more platforming, though some of the 2D segments dragged on.
-Sky Sanctuary was the best 3D Sonic level I have ever played. Lots of platforming and alternate paths. Over using the boost on this level would be a bad idea. I was very impressed. I hope the rest of the game is like this.

Did a few challenge missions, which were alright. They seem to take place in edited versions of the main levels, which I'm ok with, because they feel different enough. A few had their own cool moments.

Music is very catchy. Surprisingly so. Chemical Plant and Sky Sanctuary were fantastic.

Cutscenes were alright - I like the new Sonic VA.

Overworld is clever, and a huge step up from both Colors and especially Unleashed.

Will play more tomorrow.

oran is totally the best section ID to have too.

wonder what's going on with PSO2

Yellowboze for life!

As for PSO2, basically they just have a dev blog up releasing screenshots and little tidbits of info. They pushed release back so they could include a lot of the requests made in the alpha testing.

nns3d

Bot sure what I'm looking at.. Is Sonic still in ROCKET! form? If so, weird!

Yeah, I activated the rocket somewhere and then went into one of the launchers. When I launched out of the launcher Sonic was still in the rocket! The music stopped playing, but I was able to still control Sonic. Unfortunately he couldn't do things like walljump, so I had to reset the game :/

oh hey they even referenced Robotnik's dastardly speed traps from Sonic 3 in Generations

Aaaaand if anybody notices how I keep posting in this thread but haven't talked about my thoughts on Generations... I still haven't gotten my copy in the mail yet and have to make do with short bursts on demos and at friend's palces. And with my router recently fixed, I could have downloaded it off Steam by now too. Oh well, the British retailer I brought the PC version from was still unbelievably cheap and Zelda and Origins is still keeping me busy, so I can't complain too much.

So I decided to pop in Unleashed yesterday to see how it holds up and wow, that game is impressive for 2008.

Unleashed is absolutely beautiful, maybe even more so than Generations. Some of the set pieces during Dragon Road are simply jaw dropping! Graphically, I believe the Hedgehog Engine provides the best non-realistic visuals to date. The variety of colors it uses is unheard of, they bleed through the screen and make everything seem so alive. The sense of speed is excellent with the exception of Jungle Joyride where the Blast Processing ™ halts to 5 frames per second.

The level design, while not as good as Generations, is still very good. The main drawbacks are the camera being zoomed in too close to Sonic which makes some sections more reliant on memory than reaction and QTE ramps. I was really surprised how much tricking added to Sonic, those long falls are much better when they give you a menial task to do.

Generations must've made me a better Speed Runner too, I was breaking most of my old speed records after a couple tries.

So I decided to pop in Unleashed yesterday to see how it holds up and wow, that game is impressive for 2008.

Unleashed is absolutely beautiful, maybe even more so than Generations. Some of the set pieces during Dragon Road are simply jaw dropping! Graphically, I believe the Hedgehog Engine provides the best non-realistic visuals to date. The variety of colors it uses is unheard of, they bleed through the screen and make everything seem so alive. The sense of speed is excellent with the exception of Jungle Joyride where the Blast Processing ™ halts to 5 frames per second.

The level design, while not as good as Generations, is still very good. The main drawbacks are the camera being zoomed in too close to Sonic which makes some sections more reliant on memory than reaction and QTE ramps. I was really surprised how much tricking added to Sonic, those long falls are much better when they give you a menial task to do.

Generations must've made me a better Speed Runner too, I was breaking most of my old speed records after a couple tries.

Really? I did the same, and the control differences keep throwing me off. Boost button doubles as homing attack, drifting arc is way wider, etc.

Really? I did the same, and the control differences keep throwing me off. Boost button doubles as homing attack, drifting arc is way wider, etc.
Oh, I completely forgot to mention that. I almost stopped playing in the first 5 minutes because of the A->X homing attack thing, but after about 10 minutes or so I was able to readjust.
Of all the mechanical differences they've made between 2008 and now, making A->A the homing attack was one of the best decisions they ever made.

Yeah, it kind of saddened me when Unleashed was slammed with 3's and 4's (worse than 06??). Sure there were a few missteps, but there was a huge amount of love poured into the game, something Sonic Team couldn't manage since Adventure.

Unleashed_Blog_Concept_5.jpg

vall03

the controls also felt weird to me since I went Unleashed -> Colors -> Generations. As for the quality of the game, if only there were less QTEs especially with bosses and the Werehog parts were 75% shorter, it would be great imo

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sonic Unleashed has that more realistic look to it. The hedgehog engine is great.

Yeah, I still think Unleashed HD has the best look of any Sonic game, but Colors and Generations are close of course. Something about the lighting in Unleashed just... looks incredible to me. It's hard to describe.

Although I haven't seen much of Colors on Dolphin, that may ace it.

I'm actually watching Pokecapn's Unleashed LP right now. I only played the Wii version, so most of it is new. Glad I missed out on the hub crap though.

vall03

Yeah, I still think Unleashed HD has the best look of any Sonic game, but Colors and Generations are close of course. Something about the lighting in Unleashed just... looks incredible to me. It's hard to describe.

Although I haven't seen much of Colors on Dolphin, that may ace it.

I'm actually watching Pokecapn's Unleashed LP right now. I only played the Wii version, so most of it is new. Glad I missed out on the hub crap though.

Ive been wondering about this but is the Wii/PS2 version of Unleashed still worth it after playing the HD versions?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ive been wondering about this but is the Wii/PS2 version of Unleashed still worth it after playing the HD versions?

Nah, not really unless you download a save. The Werehog stuff is insufferable. The day parts are pretty good, I remember Holoska being awesome, but it probably doesn't compare to the HD stuff.

There's too much werehog stuff in the PS2/Wii version, but it's segmented up much better (with saves in-between stages), and the mechanics in the stages for everything but fighting are better. (And you're not expected to do nearly as much fighting. The hardest part is taking out wasps.)

Top Bottom