• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Lan_97

Secret Rings had an awesome multiplayer mode. It was Sonic shuffle done right.

I had so much fun with the multiplayer in this game. The single player was pretty good too, I thought the slide/jump mechanic was interesting and had some fun replaying levels for time.

Black Knight was terrible all around. Slide/jump is gone, levels are boring, multiplayer is a useless battle mode.

I've been wondering about this ever since I heard the "Dr. Robotnik!" reference in the console ending, so I switched over to Japanese voices and played through the Time Eater boss and watched the ending. My Japanese is basic and super-rusty, so I couldn't follow exactly, but I did notice more differences than I expected. Anybody know an accurate translation of what's being said?

For example, Classic Tails does say "Eggman," but with some other word I didn't catch. Later on, just before the boss, Modern Tails started off with bokutachi (young way of saying we/us), implying something different than his English "You always do!" line. Probably some sort of "We'll do it together!" gab.

Also, when Classic and Modern Tails are walking together during the ending, Classic Tails asks about the Tornado, not rings.

One other thing I noticed, when Classic and Modern Eggman are arguing about finding a way out after the credits, you actually hear them arguing during the first aerial shot, instead of a silent shot.

On sale on Steam for $22.49 as part of the holiday sale. Which means it might even be a daily deal if you want to take your chances on that.

Lijik

On sale on Steam for $22.49 as part of the holiday sale. Which means it might even be a daily deal if you want to take your chances on that.

Doesn't seem like a hard chance to take, just wait till the last day of sales and if it hasn't yet pick it up.

Huge thread is HUGE!
So, I have this for Christmas. Hype!
What was the overall consensus on this one? I went gaga over every single video I saw and liked the demo quite a bit.....

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
Huge thread is HUGE!
What was the overall consensus on this one? I went gaga over every single video I saw and liked the demo quite a bit.....

My favourite Sonic since the Genesis era. It's a little short, but it's a great mix of 2D platforming and 3D-Sonic action.

Zomba13

Huge thread is HUGE!

General Consensus is that it's great. Levels of great depend on your like of Sonic.

Easily the best Sonic game since the MegaDrive. Protip: First time through Modern Sonic levels go easy on the boost. You don't have to constantly hold the button down and use it as soon as you get any.

Satchel

Banned
Is there something wrong with the PS3 version?

Homing attack doesn't work the way it's meant to, it just goes in a straight line so I can't 'bounce off enemies', and this worked perfectly fine in the demo on 360.

Protip: First time through Modern Sonic levels go easy on the boost. You don't have to constantly hold the button down and use it as soon as you get any.

Echoing that, you really can just jog through the Modern Sonic stages while you're still learning them, and you'll appreciate the level design a lot more that way.

Oh! Turn off Omochao first thing in the Options Menu. Do it. The button prompts are enough to get you through anything weird. You might get a little confused during the fight with Shadow, but that's about it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Oh man, watching the Unleashed LP... this level. Holy crap the balance beams.

Chun Nan Night was horrible in the Wii version but this is just as bad, if not slightly more...

Oh man, watching the Unleashed LP... this level. Holy crap the balance beams.

Chun Nan Night was horrible in the Wii version but this is just as bad, if not slightly more...

Oh god yes. It's pretty ironic that the version with motion control is missing something based around tilting your body, but it benefits from it greatly. The beams on the 360/PS3 version were such an annoying thing.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The first couple times they were on the balance beams I figured the game snapped you to them, but no it was just Pokecapn gaming like a pro. I almost can't believe such bad game design exists in a game that came out so recently.

qq more

Word is that this is a daily deal on steam tomorrow for $15ish. We'll know at noon

By the way, im a huge sonic colors fan. Can someone who liked that game comment on how this compares?

Hard to say which is better. Colors feels much more polished and has better boss fights though. Ironically, Colors' level in Generations isn't very good...

Word is that this is a daily deal on steam tomorrow for $15ish. We'll know at noon

By the way, im a huge sonic colors fan. Can someone who liked that game comment on how this compares?

I think Colors edges out because it's all original content vs. Generation's remakes. Plus the soundtrack was all new too, so it was a joy to listen to some new fantastic tunes. Among the best of the series. Colors had better "acts" too, vs the two or three reshuffled mission mode layouts for each zone in Generations. Generations peters out for the Finale, while Colors builds up very well.

They're both quality games though.

Nabs

I liked Colors for the most part, but I had more fun with Generations. I don't know why they had to mess up Wisp :(

Sciz

When they started doing concept work for Planet Wisp in Generations, there probably wasn't a lot of finished product available from the Colors team yet. It's such a different take on the zone that I'm willing to bet they didn't have much to go on but concept art and the wisp mechanics.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I dunno if this belongs here but whatevs:

Is Sonic Adventure + DX worth it on PSN? I really enjoyed Sonic Adventure 2 though, but that was 5-7 years ago.

Is Sonic Adventure + DX worth it on PSN? I really enjoyed Sonic Adventure 2 though, but that was 5-7 years ago.
It's funny, I was playing Generations today and I decided to jump straight into SA just to feel out how the controls compare. I'm always claiming I prefer SA controls over Unleashed/Colors style, but maybe it was the nostalgia talking and it was more uncontrollable than I remember. (bought it on sale, hadn't gotten around to playing yet)

Hell no. Sonic controls smooth as butter and had no problems moving him around or platforming. It sucks it's not in widescreen though. Anyway, ran into no problems and came away pleasantly surprised at how well the controls held up. Beat a few stages and it was as fun as ever.

People like to claim it's a poorly aged unplayable abortion, but I just don't see it.. :/

Thanks for the impressions guys!
I'm gonna blast through the original trilogy before putting this on for the first time. It's one of the things I'm most excited about doing over Christmas :lol
Glad to hear this game finally lived up to the hype, I've been on a complete blackout :)
Can't wait!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It's funny, I was playing Generations today and I decided to jump straight into SA just to feel out how the controls compare. I'm always claiming I prefer SA controls over Unleashed/Colors style, but maybe it was the nostalgia talking and it was more uncontrollable than I remember. (bought it on sale, hadn't gotten around to playing yet)

Hell no. Sonic controls smooth as butter and had no problems moving him around or platforming. It sucks it's not in widescreen though. Anyway, ran into no problems and came away pleasantly surprised at how well the controls held up. Beat a few stages and it was as fun as ever.

People like to claim it's a poorly aged unplayable abortion, but I just don't see it.. :/

Yeah, my only gripe is the resolution (not widescreen). But it's hard to pass up the sale. :p

Juicy Bob

I agree with this, to be honest. I've only played SADX on PC but I really enjoyed it - apart from Big's stages.

Lijik

Well people on GAF also like to greatly misuse the word "unplayable" so theres that.

I think theres some major issues with the camera at times (especially in Sky Deck), and the hub sections are dull, but the controls themselves are fine.

ElRenoRaven

Well people on GAF also like to greatly misuse the word "unplayable" so theres that.

I think theres some major issues with the camera at times (especially in Sky Deck), and the hub sections are dull, but the controls themselves are fine.

Yup. GAF tends to be extremely over reactionary. Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 were great games minus the BIG stuff in 1 and the Treasure hunting crap with Knuckles and co in 2. Both of those were annoying as hell. The controls though when it came to sonic were good and he controlled well.

You really shouldn't play the XBLA/PSN versions. They're awful, lazy ports. Embarrassingly so.

If you can track down the older PC release, and then patch it for widescreen and the missing details, (Sonic Retro has some links for that) that's the best version of SADX. Unfortunately it was rereleased around 2010, and they did some funky things to it.

You really shouldn't play the XBLA/PSN versions. They're awful, lazy ports. Embarrassingly so.

If you can track down the older PC release, and then patch it for widescreen and the missing details, (Sonic Retro has some links for that) that's the best version of SADX. Unfortunately it was rereleased around 2010, and they did some funky things to it.

Whats so lazy about ports?

Whats so lazy about ports?

Sonic Adventure DX on the Gamecube was kind of a weird/sloppy port of Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast.

The Gamecube version of SADX was then ported to the PC, and that in itself was kind of sloppy (it was missing some graphical features, etc.). The PC version was then the basis for the Xbox Live Arcade release, which retains everything sloppy about the PC port.

Except the Xbox Live Arcade release is hard-locked at 4:3 640x480 resolution in a feeble, misguided attempt at appearing "retro" (even though the PC version it was based on can easily support widescreen HD resolutions with a simple hack). It's also just "Sonic Adventure" unless you spring for another $5 for the "DX Upgrade Pack". Some achievements in the default release are literally impossible to get unless you buy the $5 upgrade pack.

Insult on top of injury, they ported the XBLA release back to the PC again for the "Dreamcast Collection" on Steam, which like the XBLA release, is locked at 640x480 4:3, no matter what resolution you tell the game to run at.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Waaaiiit, the HD version of Unleashed Eggmanland had you turning back and forth between Sonic and Werehog? Seriously?
KuGsj.gif
That's absolute crap.

Wii Eggmanland was just Sonic. It was balls hard but at least it doesn't take more than an hour to slog through the first time.

Starting to see why reviews favored the Wii version.

Waaaiiit, the HD version of Unleashed Eggmanland had you turning back and forth between Sonic and Werehog? Seriously?
KuGsj.gif
That's absolute crap.

Wii Eggmanland was just Sonic. It was balls hard but at least it doesn't take more than an hour to slog through the first time.

I didn't know how to earn Extra Lives in the Wii version until I beat the game already and started messing around with the hubs, learning how to do Eggmanland when I only had 3 lives before a Game Over (start from beginning) was a little stressful, but still kind of a nice challenge.

The Wii version does use the Sonic/Werehog realtime switch mechanic, but integrated only into the puzzle rooms in the hubs where you earn (permanent) extra lives and such. And switching back and forth was part of the puzzle, and you had limitations with both (Werehog turned to Sonic if he touched a beam of light, Sonic had a short time limit in the dark before changing to Werehog). It kind of reminds me now of how the challenges were handled in Generations, "We have this neat idea for a mechanic, but we're not going to force you to use it in the main game."

KuGsj.gif
That's absolute crap.

Starting to see why reviews favored the Wii version.

Are you kidding? The wii Eggmanland level was the easiest levels I ever played. The next gen levels were hard & well designed.

The reviews that favored the wii versions were the epitome of people having zero skill & no taste in gaming.

Prezhulio

ok, bought this today off amazon and just finished dl-ing...is the constant crash after new sections are finished a known problem with the pc version?

after every level it will crash to desktop and then when i boot it backup and play it again, it will go through the level finish fine, and let me play ONE more, then do the same thing. i've played 3 levels now this way and don't really feel like continuing this path. validating the steam cache now to see if that helps...

ElRenoRaven

ok, bought this today off amazon and just finished dl-ing...is the constant crash after new sections are finished a known problem with the pc version?

after every level it will crash to desktop and then when i boot it backup and play it again, it will go through the level finish fine, and let me play ONE more, then do the same thing. i've played 3 levels now this way and don't really feel like continuing this path. validating the steam cache now to see if that helps...

I haven't had that problem. I have only had it crash one time when finishing a level.

.la1n

Is it wrong as me as a old school gamer and as I member of GAF to say that I have enjoyed replaying the new sonic levels more than the old sonic as of late?

Nabs

That was probably the issue. Let us know how it goes.

Hey, I just got this off Steam from the Amazon sale, and my brother has been playing it while I was at work. But, it seems like I can't have my own separate save file on there. Any easy way to do this?

Sciz

Is it wrong as me as a old school gamer and as I member of GAF to say that I have enjoyed replaying the new sonic levels more than the old sonic as of late?

You're not the only one by any means.

However, frames still drop hard whenever water is present (like when you jump through waterfall or slide down water slide in industrial stage). I'm wondering if the reflection setting is killing the performance there.

Certain points in the game just plain have terrible performance no matter what your settings or hardware are.

Just grabbed this on sale from nzgameshop, can't wait for it to arrive and finally get stuck in. :D

Hope it doesn't disappoint, not from price value stand-point just from I hope its a good game way.

Teknoman

Im surprised people didnt like Crisis City. So far its been much more fun in both acts than Planet Wisp Act 1. I see why people were annoyed by the spike gears there.

EDIT: Modern Sonic gameplay is lots of fun to speed run or just play when done right. Lucky, Generations is Modern done right.

AniHawk

crisis city is an all right level ruined by a fucking terrible visual aesthetic. i think you can make arguments for other city levels in the game, but crisis city is just too god damn jarring. and while i think act 1 is fine, act 2 forcing you to stomp was a dumb idea that slowed the pacing of the level too much.

that said, planet wisp was worse (although it at least looked better).

Top Bottom