• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

I agree, Crisis City was a blast. The only part that really annoyed me were the spastic lava streams you had to stomp, and the final section with the long strip of road where it was hard to see what was in front of you in the Modern portion.

Planet Wisp is definitely the lowest point in the game, which is especially sad since it starts off really strong.

On the topic of being surprised at things people didn't like however, I'll bring up the majority of the bossfights. They were all generally well done to me, except the lame-as-hell final boss and Shadow's weird race thing. Actually a standout to me was Silver's Rival battle, surprisingly, which was pretty well paced and executed. Perfect Chaos was a pretty cool mini-level around a boss setup, and Classic Sonic's Death Egg Robot was nicely set up too. The only thing they all suffered from was being too easy (and although I haven't tried it yet, I'm assuming Hard Mode solves this?). Metal Sonic and Egg Dragoon were just okay. Nothing to warrant the label "crappy" though.

Juicy Bob

Do we know why they decided to have so many city-themed levels in the game? Considering they had a pick of virtually every major Sonic zone ever designed, the fact they chose Speed Highway, City Escape, Crisis City AND Rooftop Run - all city-gimmick levels - is baffling to me.

AniHawk

Do we know why they decided to have so many city-themed levels in the game? Considering they had a pick of virtually every major Sonic zone ever designed, the fact they chose Speed Highway, City Escape, Crisis City AND Rooftop Run - all city-gimmick levels - is baffling to me.
sonic adventure - snow level
sonic adventure 2 - crazy gadget
sonic 06 - sonic and the secret rings - evil foundry

OMG Aero

Probably to cut costs/development time.
When you have multiple city levels in the game you can share assets between them.

They picked the levels people remembered, nearly all of them (except Sky Sanctuary and sort of Chemical Plant) were heavily featured in early marketing for their games. There was a Facebook poll that contributed to some of the choices, they also polled people around the office.

Blame people just remembering what marketing shoved down their throats.

qq more

Probably to cut costs/development time.
When you have multiple city levels in the game you can share assets between them.

Did the levels even shared the assets? They all looked completely different to me.

Also boo to everyone that wants City Escape to be removed. That was an awesome stage. dat truck chase

I seriously won't mind if Speed Highway was removed. Should of have picked something else like Lost Worlds or IceCap (lol).

Also boo to everyone that wants City Escape to be removed. That was an awesome stage. dat truck chase

I seriously won't mind if Speed Highway was removed. Should of have picked something else like Lost Worlds or IceCap (lol).

Madness, if anything Speed highway was the better stage out of those two. Modern City escape is actually pretty lacking from a gameplay standpoint, possibly the most restrictive, empty and linear stage in the game.

SykoTech

Classic Crisis City was great. Modern wasn't so hot though. That part at the end was very underwhelming and the stomping bits were a little annoying as well. Not to mention, the stage was just a stupid pick overall. Kingdom Valley would have been a much better choice.

SA = Sky Deck or Red Mountain (Lost World or Windy Valley Would have been nice, but Sky Sanctuary was a good sky/ruin level)
SA2 = City Escape or Green Forest
Heroes = Bingo Highway

Been playing this with my brother tonight. Running on my PC at 60fps and it looks really good. Nice to see a Sonic game with a decent framerate... feels good.

I love the way it blends classic 2D with not-shit 3D.

That said, I hate the design of the game. I wish it was linear, with no story, and no challenges. I'm just skipping the horrible cutscenes but I dislike the fact it throws you back out to the hub world, makes you do those challenges for the boss keys, etc etc.

Still, it's a lot better than previous Sonic games, if only because it's playing up to my Sonic nostalgia hard. Not a great game, but great by modern Sonic standards.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
How does the 3DS version stack up? I'm considering getting this, and I think it would be more appealing to play on a handheld.

Lijik

How does the 3DS version stack up? I'm considering getting this, and I think it would be more appealing to play on a handheld.

Do you have a good chunk of playcoins to use?
Because if you're willing to buy all the missions, I think the 3DS version would be worth it at 30 dollars or less (preferably less).

Racing people online is fun, and the missions are great but just playing the main game isn't worth full price (or really any price that isn't ten dollars). Its fun, but its also lazily done (most of the levels are just wholesale reusing past designs) and the middle of the game has some of the worst designed 2D Sonic levels ever put out to retail.

Im surprised people didnt like Crisis City. So far its been much more fun in both acts than Planet Wisp Act 1. I see why people were annoyed by the spike gears there.

EDIT: Modern Sonic gameplay is lots of fun to speed run or just play when done right. Lucky, Generations is Modern done right.

I didn't enjoy Crisis City or Planet Wisp in Generations. Wisp was too hard for me on Colours, too :p I'm awful at games, though.

I tend to just replay Green Hill Zone and Chemical Plant again and again. Not even for time trials. Just because I can do them without dying too much.

I like Classic Crisis City a lot, the only two spots are don't like are an early part where you pretty much have to hit a spring, and the collapsing road makes it easy to run over and die, and sometimes the collision detection on the floating objects, especially the trucks, can be just a little funky. But it's a fun reimagining, and the sign post tease is gold.

I like the Modern version too, except for the excessive stomping on the lava platforms (which you can somewhat bypass), and the ending, but mostly because I can't seem to see the junk coming at me. What's funny is that I got the achievement for that by accident, when I stopped first thing, and jogged along looking for red rings. All the junk is timed for you to be running at full speed.

Also, dare I say it... I like what they did to the enemy designs? They still look out of place compared to the rest of the game, but they look much better.

IrishNinja

speaking of - how's the PC port? since amazon's doing it for $15 and potentially taking my ps3 copy trade-in for $27, thinking about upgrading (steam too!), i hear its 60 FPS just wondering if it's otherwise stable.

ElRenoRaven

speaking of - how's the PC port? since amazon's doing it for $15 and potentially taking my ps3 copy trade-in for $27, thinking about upgrading (steam too!), i hear its 60 FPS just wondering if it's otherwise stable.

Runs damn good. It's without a doubt a great job they did on the PC version.

Yeah, I finally got to play the PC version at a friend's house, it's THE version to get. From the load times to the visual boost, I was totally blown away. Kinda hard to go back to the PS3 version actually.

(wow is it really trading for $27? maybe I'll do that too and grab the pc version..)

Neiteio

Can there be multiple save files in this game? The title screen only has New Game and Continue. If you pick New Game, does it erase all your progress from your previous file?

TheOGB

Banned
Been doing a lot in this game recently, only missing 3 Red Rings with Modern Sonic in Planet Wisp and got Can't Touch This achievement a while back.

For some reason though, I just can't seem to run through Seaside Hill good enough (smooth; no/minor mistakes).

JonCha

Picked console Generations up today. Pretty fun stuff to far, though Modern Sonic feels a bit stiff at the moment (perhaps I'm just getting used to the revised physics).

I've also just done Amy's challenge where she launches you with her hammer. Super dumb; I was literally open-mouthed.

SykoTech

Can there be multiple save files in this game? The title screen only has New Game and Continue. If you pick New Game, does it erase all your progress from your previous file?

Yes. Unfortunately, choosing New Game will erase your current data (well, at least on PS3).

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Oh god, so I just picked this game up and decided to start on it. Loved the very start of it, with no bullshit opening or introduction, just jumps straight into Green Hill zone like Sonic is supposed to.

Then once I finished the first act, it went screwy. Cutscenes? People talking? About 10 characters that I don't know? Oh god...not this shit. Why can't I just have my level progression? Then I get "Modern Sonic"'s Green hill. Much less enjoyable and chaotic than the pure 2D experience, it just looks nice and that's it. Oh well, I'll take what I can get and enjoy as much of the classic levels as possible. Should be fun.

Edit: I love that Classic Sonic didn't say shit to tails just now. Very badass.

Edit 2: This hub world is awesome.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I am happy to see people enjoying Crisis City.

For some reason though, I just can't seem to run through Seaside Hill good enough (smooth; no/minor mistakes).
That's the only stage that seems to give me issues for speed running. I want to attribute it to me not being too into Sonic Heroes in the first place (Sonic Heroes makes me dizzy and I can't play it much).

I guess I just need to practice more.

nns3d

Ya know, I'll never understand the complaint about the story in this game. I know that with the Dreamcast games onward a lot of people hated that the franchise would take itself too seriously with its story and everything, but I feel that part of the problem this time around was that it was pretty much nonexistant. I liked how in the beginning when
Tails didn't remember GHZ at all but when in Chemical Plant he said that the ooze gave him the creeps and when Classic Eggman questioned who all the post-Genesis characters were
, and I was disappointed that they didn't do more of that. It would've been interesting to have seen cutscenes like Classic Sonic reacting to Crisis City.

Anyway, does anyone mess with the soundtrack at all? I rarely do when I do...

Classic Era
GHZ - Default
CPZ - Default
SS - Default
Medal Sonic - Stardust Speedway (US)
Death Egg Robo - Default
SH - SuperSonic Racing/Default
CC - Default
SSH - Palmtree Panic
CC - His World
RR - Endless Possibility
PW - Leaf Forest

Modern Era
GHZ - Default/Kingdom Wally
CPZ - Green Forest
SS - Default/Ungravity
SH - It Doesn't Matter/Default
CC - Default
SSH - Emerald Coast/Wave Ocean/Default
CC - Default
RR - Endless Possibility/Default
PW - Default

For doppelganger races I use Sonic Boom or SuperSonic Racing for Classic Sonic and for Modern Sonic I typically use the vocal songs.

Teknoman

I keep the standard act music the same, and only change up things for the challenge acts. Angel Island and Hydrocity work nice for the various challenge acts in Seaside. Always use Super Sonic Racing and Sonic Boom for the races.

I really wish SSR and Sonic Boom looped properly instead of cutting short then restarting. Missing the climactic moments of the tracks.

Think it would be possible for someone to do some quick patch for the PC version? Also has anyone found out why the game crashes everytime you try to do online leaderboard modes?

Rising_Hei

I hated crisis city... :(

But loved Escape city and rooftop run (both modern sonic)

I enjoy modern sonic more than i enjoy classic sonic, i find these specially annoying, mostly because of havok physics.

Am i the only one that thinks that this game would be 100 times better without a realistic physics engine like havok?

Berordn

Think it would be possible for someone to do some quick patch for the PC version? Also has anyone found out why the game crashes everytime you try to do online leaderboard modes?

Probably would be, if you're willing to muck about converting the tracks. Online leaderboard crashes if you have more than 100 Steam friends, if I remember correctly.

Teknoman

I hated crisis city... :(

But loved Escape city and rooftop run (both modern sonic)

I enjoy modern sonic more than i enjoy classic sonic, i find these specially annoying, mostly because of havok physics.

Am i the only one that thinks that this game would be 100 times better without a realistic physics engine like havok?

Probably. Classic Sonic Crisis City and City Escape seem much more fun in that you can blast off over most of the zone with a well timed spin dash, similar to the original 3. That and the music is better in both zones :p

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Classic Tails: "It sounds like the thing that kidnapped your friends...I mean...our friends, yeah!"

Lmao...they made sure to recognize that classic sonic doesn't roll with shitty friends. Man, Classic Sonic is a boss. He doesn't say shit, he's just a badass.

qq more

Classic Tails: "It sounds like the thing that kidnapped your friends...I mean...our friends, yeah!"

Lmao...they made sure to recognize that classic sonic doesn't roll with shitty friends. Man, Classic Sonic is a boss. He doesn't say shit, he's just a badass.

Agreed. I'm actually glad he's a mute in the game. It suits him much better.

Haha, doesn't that make you wish there were more cutscenes with Classic Sonic in them? :p
I think that's like the second or third to last one..

OMG Aero

I still find it weird that classic Sonic doesn't have a voice since there was no voice acting in his games (Saying yeah in CD doesn't count) but classic Tails does have a voice for some reason.

Though I guess it would be hard to tell a story with half of the cast mute.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Hahaha, who the fuck is Espio?
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

ksdixon

Hey... where's the classic 3D render of Amy Rose in the collection room? Are they just retconning her Sonic CD/Classic appearance away?

Top Bottom