• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

I got a controller for christmas

wow, it makes this already enjoyable game 100% easier to control and play. I didn't even know I could drift the entire game! And I beat it, 100% all missions using a keyboard!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Since the Community thread isn't finished yet, I want to wish SonicGAF a safe and Merry Christmas. :D

Hahaha, who the fuck is Espio?
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
Guess his current occupation as a ninja apparently works well, lol.

I got a controller for christmas

wow, it makes this already enjoyable game 100% easier to control and play. I didn't even know I could drift the entire game! And I beat it, 100% all missions using a keyboard!
Just reminds me of how I used to be able to beat Sonic CD on the PC with a keyboard multiple times when I was a kid. I don't even know how the hell I did that!

qq more

Keyboard for 2D gaming isn't really hard. I never got how people can't play it with that. Non-FPS 3D keyboard gaming on the other hand... argh!!

One keyboard trick I picked up at some point was to map the buttons to the outer edges, like the action buttons to the num pad, and pick it up and use it like a giant gamepad. It works better with some keyboards than others, though, depending on how heavy yours is, if it's ergonomic, if it's bulked down with multimedia controls, etc. I don't really do it anymore.

SykoTech

With that said, one of the best lines in the game came from (last boss spoilers)
Eggman: "Who are these guys?" after the whole crew show up to cheer Sonic. Robotnik: "They don't matter; they're insignificant"
or something to that effect. Took that as a wink from the devs to the fans. Beautiful.

It was Shadow who he was referring to as well. I was quite amused by that.

Sanic

Was there a separate thread for the 3ds version? Anyone have any thoughts on it? Metacritic paints a grim picture but if it's a competent sonic rush sequel I may be OK.

Hi2u

Banned
Is this a good game? I'm not a huge sonic fan, my last true sonic game I played was sonic 2 on mega drive.

I fired it up for the first time today, green hill zone started and some baby voice from a tutorial animal started talking. I was actually embarrassed playing it as I'm 32 and the game sounds like its for a younger audience. So I switched it off after hearing that. Should I bother?

qq more

Man whatever. There is no Sonic character more boss than classic Vector.

To be completely honest, I only hate their Modern counterparts. Vector and Charmy are cool in the the old era though. Vector's animations in Chaotix was hilarious.

Is this a good game? I'm not a huge sonic fan, my last true sonic game I played was sonic 2 on mega drive.

I fired it up for the first time today, green hill zone started and some baby voice from a tutorial animal started talking. I was actually embarrassed playing it as I'm 32 and the game sounds like its for a younger audience. So I switched it off after hearing that. Should I bother?
It is a very good game. Flawed, but very good. Keep playing!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Merry Beefmas SonicGAF, and a happy birthday to me!
It's your birthday today? (Happy birthday! :D) Double-presents?!

Pandoracell said:
Was there a separate thread for the 3ds version? Anyone have any thoughts on it? Metacritic paints a grim picture but if it's a competent sonic rush sequel I may be OK.
I don't really think it's the best Rush-esque game out there. The three Rush games (Rush, Rush Adventure, Colours DS) were far superior to this.

Most of us who had played it had said that:

-Classic Sonic's physics are more accurate than the HD version
-Classic Sonic learns Homing Attack after Genesis Era
-The final boss executed better in the 3DS version than the HD version (play this with 3D on, trust me)
-The meat of the game lies within the 100 optional missions (unlockable with 5 3DS Play Coins, so rack 'em up!) and the online versus modes. They're really fun, so it seems like the game was built for VS or Streetpass play
-The main game ... well, the Genesis Era maps are ripped right from the Genesis originals, the Modern Era maps (Rush/Colours DS) were similar to the original Rush games' maps, and the Dreamcast Era was a bland mess.
-I'd recommend playing this game with 3D turned on, just to make things look nicer.

Hi2u said:
Keep going; it's a great game.

Do note that you can turn Laura Bailey's voice off/Omochao off (the baby voice that you were referring to) in the Options menu.

Zomba13

Keep going; it's a great game.

Do note that you can turn Laura Bailey's voice off/Omochao off (the baby voice that you were referring to) in the Options menu.

Do this as soon as you can. You really do not need it at all unless you want to be told exactly what to do all the time and have an annoying thing follow you around. Leave the button prompts on though as they will come in handy.

While I am proud that I have managed to keep myself spoiler-free from the games I asked for, part of me really, really, REALLY wants to keep Omochao on for old times' sake. Someone talk me out of it. :(

Lijik

1lBmv.gif
1lBmv.gif
1lBmv.gif

Hey bros its your ol pal vector here swaggin it out on the neo gamin age forums
1lBmv.gif
1lBmv.gif
1lBmv.gif

beef my man i hear you askin bout flyin chao robots and all i gotta say
1lBmv.gif
1lBmv.gif
1lBmv.gif

is naw naw naw, challenge that call
1lBmv.gif
1lBmv.gif
1lBmv.gif

Its a bad call son
1lBmv.gif
1lBmv.gif
1lBmv.gif

Naw
1lBmv.gif
1lBmv.gif
1lBmv.gif

peace out
6V1AV.gif

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
OMG... I'm dying...
KuGsj.gif

If I had asked for a lot, yes. xD All I asked for was some games (AssCreedRev, Arkham City, and GENERATIONS) and some pantsu.
What have you done? :p

LOL, still, nice haul. I hope your birthday/Christmas is safe, fun and relaxing. :)

Ours has been quiet, and that's the way I want it to be. :D

JonCha

Completed the game today. Pretty good, apart from three cutscenes looking horribly pixelated.

My favourite stage is classic Seasode Hill. That stage has a great flow to it.

Wizpig

It still amazes me how well Crisis City turned out in Generations. The classic version is probably my favourite level in the entire game.
The modern one is mine, probably.
Dude, you JUMP in 3d from platform to platform, without homing attack.
And you don't fall, because the level design there is actually good and amazing for speedruns.
Yeah, probably my favorite.
The Heroes one is the most "free" one though.
And Green Hill the most "Unleashed-boost-spam one"... so one of my less favorite.

I never commented the game here on GAF, but let me summarize like this: loved Colours Wii, think this is even better.
Level design, polish, everything.
Best 3d Sonic after Adventure 2 and in some ways even better than the Adventure games. (although historically this is less important)

Now, here's why i'm here: i got the 3DS version today.

It's fun, sure, but the controls feel less tight (while still better than Sonic 4, hooray) and the Megadrive Era in Classic mode is cut/paste if i'm not mistaken.
Mushroom Hill Modern is pretty fun though, and things like "favorite Sonic game?" on the StreetPass card are a nice touch.

Some questions:

-Hahahaha guys, you almost got me! play coins aren't the only way to unlock missions, right? RIGHTTTTTT?
1lBmv.gif

-Ok, this one is stupid: when looking at the logo (Press Start screen) i noticed two weird black lines on the logo sides.
I thought the screen was dirty, but i only notice them in 3d and on that screen.
Is that a, uh, .gif problem or something?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
-Hahahaha guys, you almost got me! play coins aren't the only way to unlock missions, right? RIGHTTTTTT?
Streetpass and points from online mode can help unlock missions. There's no one around where I live who have a copy of Generations and/or a 3DS so Streetpassing wasn't a very ideal thing for me.

-Ok, this one is stupid: when looking at the logo (Press Start screen) i noticed two weird black lines on the logo sides.
I thought the screen was dirty, but i only notice them in 3d and on that screen.
Is that a, uh, .gif problem or something?
Is that what happens with the 3DS screen defect? I didn't notice that with mine, I don't think...

Lijik

-Hahahaha guys, you almost got me! play coins aren't the only way to unlock missions, right? RIGHTTTTTT??

You accumulate some form of overall points in the game that will unlock some of the missions for you. Ive gotten missions for beating a mission, playing online, and I think playing through the main game unlocks you one for each stage.

Luckily I have found it is SUPER EASY to cheat the play coin system!
-Its time to go for a long walk (or set up your favorite way to cheat. idk of any ways that are viable personally). Check periodically, when you hit the 1000 steps mark go into your system settings and set it ahead a day. Keep doing this when you hit 1000 steps until you're done with your walk.
-When you're finished, go spend all of your coins ingame and then set your system back to the proper date.
-When tomorrow rolls around you'll have a fresh slate, time to go rack up more coins. Wash rinse repeat.

It will take at most 500 coins to pay your way through.
Good luck!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Luckily I have found it is SUPER EASY to cheat the play coin system!
-Its time to go for a long walk (or set up your favorite way to cheat. idk of any ways that are viable personally). Check periodically, when you hit the 1000 steps mark go into your system settings and set it ahead a day. Keep doing this when you hit 1000 steps until you're done with your walk.
-When you're finished, go spend all of your coins ingame and then set your system back to the proper date.
-When tomorrow rolls around you'll have a fresh slate, time to go rack up more coins. Wash rinse repeat.
Oh, d'oh! That sounds like the most obvious thing to do.

Why didn't I think about that before? :/

Lijik

Oh, d'oh! That sounds like the most obvious thing to do.

Why didn't I think about that before? :/

I thought of it before but never tried it until recently because I figured Nintendo would have set some way up to fuck you over for trying to game the system.
Turns out, nope!

Wizpig

Streetpass and points from online mode can help unlock missions. There's no one around where I live who have a copy of Generations and/or a 3DS so Streetpassing wasn't a very ideal thing for me.

Is that what happens with the 3DS screen defect? I didn't notice that with mine, I don't think...
Nope, it's like this

| Sonic Generations |

of course the | are less noticeable, and i only see them in 3d. also they don't cover the whole screen, just the logo.
But since i only see those "artifacts" on the logo and in this game the first thing i thought is .gif artifacts or something...... pay it no mind, i dunno.

Thanks for the replies to both of you.
And fuck game coins anyways.

I mean, i love 'em, but i need them to buy those puzzles, you know T_T (and they don't even send me spotpass purple pieces for my puzzles)

thefil

So quick mini review.

This is the first game I have every lowered my computer from native resolution to run. This may sound like an insult to its programming, but it's really a compliment to its quality. I've been playing Green Hill Zone and Chemical Plant on my Macbook just to get the red stars. I have no idea why I love modern Sonic so much, but I am disturbed and strange in that I do. This is Sonic Adventure realized, plus high quality classic Sonic levels.

The only game I was willing to pay more than $10 for this winter. I love it, totally worth a buy.

Teknoman

• Turn off Omachao for tutorials in options.
  • Dont be embarrassed, its a game thats meant for all ages, same as Mario or most Kirby titles.
  • Its pretty good with alot of replay value, however the final zone has some low points.
  • The game can be decently challenging at times, but nothing too difficult to make you stop.
  • Buy Sonic CD HD as well.

Woah i had not realized you could no longer use animated gifs. What is this? GameFaqs?

On a side note: i turned a buddy of mine on to this game and we just both beat it last night. His words : " fuck thanks ana, now I'm a sonic fan. H8 my life"

Can't think of a better compliment for the game. Next up: Sonic Colors!

We can use them, just not for avatars. Bandwidth and all that i'm guessing.

EDIT: Old school vector looks much better than modern...and I never pictured him to have a voice similar to what he has now. Same for Espio.

Wizpig

Christmas stole our 3DS online? i'm having trouble connecting to the Versus mode (a white "error" screen on the touch screen) and i hear some people have trouble for Mario Kart 7 too.

Top Bottom