• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Me too. :D Are you almost finished?

I haven't gotten a chance to play it yet today due to IRL stuff, but I'm about to unlock the second Boss Door after I finish all the Challenge Acts for Seaside Hill. I've completed/collected everything beforehand as well.

I'm so glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read this post. I would have ruined a perfectly fine monitor.
Are you implying I was making a joke post? The Modern levels IMO (ridiculous how I have to clarify that) are very fun.

If that is the new fire shield, then it sucks ass and is nothing like the old one.
Wait, what? Both shields do pretty much exactly the same thing from what I remember.

Edit: Nevermind, you're talking about the 3DS version which I have no experience with.

I'm so glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read this post. I would have ruined a perfectly fine monitor.
Start drinking because I loved the Classic versions just as much as I did the Modern.

qq more

Wait, what? Both shields do pretty much exactly the same thing from what I remember.

Edit: Nevermind, you're talking about the 3DS version which I have no experience with.

Start drinking because I loved the Classic versions just as much as I did the Modern.

He's referring to the flame Wisp Power, which was found in both Sonic Colors DS and Sonic Generations 3DS.

Got this for Christmas, my first Sonic game since Adventure 2 for the Dreamcast. Can't say I'm enjoying it a whole lot. The jumping feels unresponsive, like there's a slight delay between pressing jump and it actually registering that really effects the more fast-paced moments during levels. A lot of deaths seem unfair due to threats suddenly appearing into view, or the occasional janky controls like Modern Sonics homing-attack. I'm switching back and forth between Rayman Origins right now and oh lawwwwwd does Origins come out on top every time. The platforming is more old-school and fiendish but at least it's fair, not to mention fine-tuned to perfection.

Credit where credit is due though, the game does look lovely. Seaside Hill in particular has some breathtaking vistas.

Modern Sonic is great fun as is classic, while somewhat similar they each have their own style to them, if anything people should be happy that modern sonic runs off his own style of physics and isn't ruining the apparent intricacies of curling into a ball that causes endless debates since he just boosts instead.

I really like modern Sonic. I was a big fan of the Genesis and Game Gear Sonics, but I have more fun with modern Sonic despite liking classic Sonic more. I just love that fast speed.

Got this for Christmas, my first Sonic game since Adventure 2 for the Dreamcast. Can't say I'm enjoying it a whole lot. The jumping feels unresponsive, like there's a slight delay between pressing jump and it actually registering that really effects the more fast-paced moments during levels. A lot of deaths seem unfair due to threats suddenly appearing into view, or the occasional janky controls like Modern Sonics homing-attack. I'm switching back and forth between Rayman Origins right now and oh lawwwwwd does Origins come out on top every time. The platforming is more old-school and fiendish but at least it's fair, not to mention fine-tuned to perfection.

Credit where credit is due though, the game does look lovely. Seaside Hill in particular has some breathtaking vistas.

PC version plays a lot better at 60 FPS.

edit: I also wonder if you may be having issues with your TV? Might be some input lag due to some of the settings your TV is set to (in general, TV's nowadays are defaulted to absolutely horrible settings that would make Sonic nearly unplayable IMO).

TheOGB

Banned
Got all S Ranks and Red Rings before moving onto Rayman Origins :)D). Whoever said something along the lines of 'playing through these levels multiple times taking multiple paths makes them so much better' was damn right. I actually used to dislike Classic Sonic a little bit (!!) but going through his stages again really made me love him like I used to as a kid. Both Sonics are amazing in this game (with emphasis on that last part).

And the skills are a welcome addition. Come at me. Later, though. Too busy with Rayman.

So I started playing this...

I'm guessing I would like it a lot less if I weren't skipping every cutscene? I don't normally skip cutscenes, but I'm getting a vibe here that it's probably best I did.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Welp, my GPU is totally borked, tried to play this but graphical glitches everywhere, couldn't get past the title screen.
KuGsj.gif
Time for a new PC.

Playing Modern City Escape with "His World" as the music choice is ABAP.

I'm guessing I would like it a lot less if I weren't skipping every cutscene? I don't normally skip cutscenes, but I'm getting a vibe here that it's probably best I did.

I haven't been skipping them because there's a lot of little easter eggs in a few of the conversations. One example:

Modern Sonic (while in front of Green Hill Zone): "Does this place look familiar at all?"
Tails: "Hmm, not to me."

Anth0ny

In speaking of... how's Shadow and Silver's story? Eh?

Also, what's a good gaming laptop that isn't overly expensive? I'm missing out on some games :(

Shadow's is pretty bad so far. It's basically Sonic's story recycled, from identical levels to identical bosses, except with shitty vehicles thrown in.

Haven't started Silver yet. Can't wait.

Modern Sonic still sucks.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
come on mang you're going like 1000mph running through loops and corkscrews and up and down and all around

the truck chase in City Escape was just as good as anything in Uncharted.

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
OH GOD WHAT HAVE YOU DONE

*hides in blanket*

To be fair Generations got its fair share of 8s

But being completely serious, after replaying this game for a few hours, I love it. Still sticking with the "I don't like it as much as Colours because it doesn't have adequate cohesion", but it's another one of those good first steps towards a better place that SEGA has taken towards bettering the series after the horrors that were Sonic 06, Shadow and Black Knight. It's not perfect, but it gets the job done. It's flawed. I don't care. I'm entertained. I'm having fun. That's all that matters to me.

Shadow's is pretty bad so far. It's basically Sonic's story recycled, from identical levels to identical bosses, except with shitty vehicles thrown in.

Haven't started Silver yet. Can't wait.

Modern Sonic still sucks.
I can't wait until you get to one of my least favourite parts of the game! :D

AHAHAHAHAHA.

34mOG.jpg

I bet this guy looooooved that part:

XqsJN.png

And the skills are a welcome addition. Come at me. Later, though. Too busy with Rayman.
Speaking of Rayman, I have to finish that off this week since it took its sweet time coming here from the States (with the awesome preorder art book). ^_^

Loving the artstyle a lot. So much personality.

My favorite Generations scene is when you restore Sky Sanctuary with Classic Sonic, and Knuckles asks if Sonic's gained weight recently. The way Classic self-consciously pokes his belly afterwards made me laugh.

TheOGB

Banned
My favorite Generations scene is when you restore Sky Sanctuary with Classic Sonic, and Knuckles asks if Sonic's gained weight recently. The way Classic self-consciously pokes his belly afterwards made me laugh.

The look on his face after saving Amy is so damn funny.

WAT!? I keep beating the Modern acts last so all I ever get are clips of Modern Sonic giving a thumbs up or whatever. :(

Yeah, there's quite a few gems hidden in the cutscenes. Worth it just to see Classic Sonic's little nuances. In fact I wanted more cutscenes with Classic Sonic, his presence had a lot more potential for entertainment value. Either way, the cinematics add up to maybe 4 minutes of content tops?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I think my favourite one was with Classic Sonic and Amy where he clearly seemed annoyed with her for even talking to him.

He look he gives is great.

I can't find these clips on Youtube! FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Looks like a 2nd playthrough might be required. :(
Here ya go, Beef. Don't watch these until you've finished the game, though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kg9uU8gCIBw#t=258s

TheOGB

Banned
Oh yeah, played the 3DS version on Christmas (friend got it)

I guess it's not a total turd, just looks bad from a distance. Final boss is executed much better than the ambiguous "THAT LOOKS LIKE A THING" console version (and looks pretty spiffy in 3D). Didn't get to play a Classic level, unfortunately.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Do you know what the best part of the 3DS final boss was?

No shitty friends spouting the same nonsense at you over and over and over and over.

Also, a better boss battle overall.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I like how the reaction both Sonics give 90% of the time is "I dont give any fucks about you"
It probably helps that neither of them say anything

EDIT-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRl8u-_r2To&feature=player_embedded
The most definitive review
I think Cream says something like "I was soooooo scared but I decided to be brave cuz of you Sonic!!" and Modern Sonic just gives her a thumbs-up because he doesn't care. :lol

At first I was like, "why would you link a Skyrim rev---ohhhhhh."

"Then all of a sudden Final Fantasy comes out of nowhere and murders all of the Mouseketeers!"

I still think Sonic1SonicHedgehog had the best review of this game. Edit: Oh God, he reviewed Sonic CD too.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Picked this back up for a bit tonight - City Escape and Rooftop Run are pretty amazing for both characters. The first 3 levels all had a bit of issues on both ends where there were just too many "pause, jump, miss the jump, try again" moments (particular new sonic levels) but these two were really well designed and exhilarating.

Challenges are a bit of a pain though, especially losing a lead in the races because you get trapped in a really shitty spot and keep missing a jump by falling through a floor or w/e. The 360 version has some framerate issues and things like that. Game is fairly dope otherwise, the story is too cute.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Picked this back up for a bit tonight - City Escape and Rooftop Run are pretty amazing for both characters. The first 3 levels all had a bit of issues on both ends where there were just too many "pause, jump, miss the jump, try again" moments (particular new sonic levels) but these two were really well designed and exhilarating.

Challenges are a bit of a pain though, especially losing a lead in the races because you get trapped in a really shitty spot and keep missing a jump by falling through a floor or w/e. The 360 version has some framerate issues and things like that. Game is fairly dope otherwise, the story is too cute.
You'll get used to it with practice. I wouldn't try the races until you know the level design enough to speed through AND take the upper paths rather than the lower ones (but even if you take the lower paths, the doppelganger is pretty stupid, and you can get the lead anyway). Staying on the upper paths makes the races much easier. The doppelganger races aren't really the hardest challenges. Just wait until you get to the Modern Vector one for Rooftop Run. That one is awful! :D

If you lose your lead in a doppelganger race and you've hit a checkpoint when you were in the lead, you could always die to go back to the checkpoint to try to maintain your lead.

I'd try to do the challenges that would net skills first, though. For easier times while you're playing through the acts, remember you can equip skills to stop on a dime, get a shield, or increase your boost gauge for S-ranking.

Buuuuut you sound like you're almost done anyway. :lol

Do I need to get S ranks for the Challenge Acts? Because I'm just about done with Modern Sonic's challenges for Seaside Hill and I've gotten an S in all of them.

cory.

Banned
Played through both acts of Planet Wisp then stopped for the night.
Oh and the last Sonic game I played was Rush, which was pretty much perfect.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
...Well then. I am now conflicted: do i continue my S-Rank shenanigans, or do I coast through the rest of the Challenge Acts?
You can always replay them for the S-ranks if you just want to get through the game, lol.

But if you're S-ranking now for personal satisfaction, that's fine too. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3px6n1YoixQ&hd=1

Hooray for $10 steam sales and generous friends. It's a bit weird how utterly dependent the framerate can be on what your PC's HDD is doing, though. There's a moment in that video where the game freezes up for nearly a full second because Fraps was shuffling a lot of data around.

Edit: On the subject of Sonic Generations vs. Uncharted, it's not that big of a stretch, really, for how rigidly scripted and "spectacle-driven" Uncharted usually is. One could argue that Sonic Generations is actually less scripted than Uncharted is, given how buck wild they went with alternate pathways and such; Uncharted will still often fail you if you deviate from any specific script trigger.

Hi i'm cleaining up my save by doing some challenges missions and such ( improving my times ) the usual i guess .

i just have to say .
That EZIO mission in speed highway ... WTF .. this is ...not fun ..
So far the Friends missions were Ok ..but this one ...

Top Bottom