• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Facism

Classic Sonic is great. Modern Sonic is still mostly autopilot shyte with a bit of 2d platforming thrown in because the devs were ashamed of their 3d sections.

Juicy Bob

I really don't get the Modern Sonic hate. If all the levels were broken like in Sonic 2006, I could understand, but the fact is that they're not. They aren't even close to being broken. Fair enough if you don't enjoy them as much as the Classic Sonic levels, but you cannot seriously suggest that the Modern Sonic levels are 'terrible', 'awful', 'horrible' or 'shite' because they simply just aren't.

Brashnir

Picked this up during the Steam Sale, and I have a weird problem where the main title screen runs at like 5 FPS and takes forever to recognize any button presses to start the game.

Once the actual game starts, it runs fine (except for 2 shortish sections I've come across so far where the framerate dropped into the teens for a few seconds).

Is anyone else having the title screen issue? Is there a fix out there for it?

I can't even fraps without it being 15fps with pauses, and I have two HDD's one for gaming one for other stuff :S

Without fraps though its butter for the most part

Where is Fraps saving to? Is it the same HDD the game is on? I actually tried capturing to a multitude of drives. It was a little slower when it was saving to the same drive the game was streaming off of.

SeanNoonan

I finished it on Christmas Day, probably worth playing for the first 3 levels and not much else.

I really disliked having to play through the challenge levels to continue progression through the game, especially the one's as modarn sanic.

Where is Fraps saving to? Is it the same HDD the game is on? I actually tried capturing to a multitude of drives. It was a little slower when it was saving to the same drive the game was streaming off of.

Thanks GAF for the heads-up on the Steam sale, as I wouldn't have purchased this seing as I haven't played a Sonic game S&N.

That being said, my 5850 and i7 can't get it passed 45 FPS. Is it time I look at an SSD? Never thought a Sonic game would be what made me jump.

I finished it on Christmas Day, probably worth playing for the first 3 levels and not much else.

I really disliked having to play through the challenge levels to continue progression through the game, especially the one's as modarn sanic.

Good news, you never have to play a Modern Sonic challenge level if you don't want to. You can just play 1 Classic Sonic mission for each level, and that will suffice.

Thanks GAF for the heads-up on the Steam sale, as I wouldn't have purchased this seing as I haven't played a Sonic game S&N.

That being said, my 5850 and i7 can't get it passed 45 FPS. Is it time I look at an SSD? Never thought a Sonic game would be what made me jump.

I'm on a Radeon HD 5670 and a Core 2 Duo and I get mostly 60fps save for a few levels here and there (Chemical Plant most notoriously). I'm definitely not on a SSD; I'm on a 7200rpm Western Digital drive. Looking up some reviews, though, it did score well for read/write speeds, at least.

Got this on Christmas day for the PS3 and beat it yesterday. One of the quickest games I've beaten lol.

Anywayz: great game. I liked both Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic but considering i grew up on Modern Sonic with Sonic Adventure 1, 2. Shadow, And Heroes I just tend to like Modern Sonic more.

I did get the Sonic Bundle off of PSN and I plan to finally beat the classic games. (Previously I only played them on the Wii VC) and I can alsoo replay Sonic Adventure! (Actually Sonic Adventure 2 (I think...? The one with Shadow) was the only one I beat...I think)

Reading the op it seems like Sonic Generations 3DS has a whole different set of levels. Awsome will get that sometime next year.

Will also try to 100% SG on PS3 I guess. Those S Ranks and Red Rings will be hard tho.

Lijik

Yesterday I was going through profile cards I got on the 3DS version and thought to myself "Who the fuck would pick Silver or Werehog as their favorite character?"
Sure enough, the two people I played online today had picked those.

Granted one of them has been a fan since the 90s and picked 2006 as their favorite title, so I think he was just fucking around.
At least I hope so.

Glad I decided to pick up the PC version during the steam sale, it stutters a bit for me, but the fact I can take screenshots alone justifies the purchase for me.

On a side note, Sonic titles are on sale on XBLA. In my infinite un-wisdom I bought Sonic 4 just to get rid of my M$ points, 30 seconds in and I'm already regretting it. Debating to do a LLTP for it as I can already make 5 complaints about it.

Lijik

Glad I decided to pick up the PC version during the steam sale, it stutters a bit for me, but the fact I can take screenshots alone justifies the purchase for me.

On a side note, Sonic titles are on sale on XBLA. In my infinite un-wisdom I bought Sonic 4 just to get rid of my M$ points, 30 seconds in and I'm already regretting it. Debating to do a LLTP for it as I can already make 5 complaints about it.

Well theres gonna be a teaser trailer for Episode 2 tomorrow, Im sure you can air your grievances for it in the eventual thread for that.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yesterday I was going through profile cards I got on the 3DS version and thought to myself "Who the fuck would pick Silver or Werehog as their favorite character?"
Sure enough, the two people I played online today had picked those.
Lucky you.

I've had several who love Shadow and Silver. :(

Teknoman

Got this on Christmas day for the PS3 and beat it yesterday. One of the quickest games I've beaten lol.

Anywayz: great game. I liked both Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic but considering i grew up on Modern Sonic with Sonic Adventure 1, 2. Shadow, And Heroes I just tend to like Modern Sonic more.

I did get the Sonic Bundle off of PSN and I plan to finally beat the classic games. (Previously I only played them on the Wii VC) and I can alsoo replay Sonic Adventure! (Actually Sonic Adventure 2 (I think...? The one with Shadow) was the only one I beat...I think)

Reading the op it seems like Sonic Generations 3DS has a whole different set of levels. Awsome will get that sometime next year.

Will also try to 100% SG on PS3 I guess. Those S Ranks and Red Rings will be hard tho.

Yup, go back and knock out the challenges/S ranks/Red Rings. S ranks actually arent that hard to do on the main zones once you find a nice path.

Teknoman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3px6n1YoixQ&hd=1

Hooray for $10 steam sales and generous friends. It's a bit weird how utterly dependent the framerate can be on what your PC's HDD is doing, though. There's a moment in that video where the game freezes up for nearly a full second because Fraps was shuffling a lot of data around.

Edit: On the subject of Sonic Generations vs. Uncharted, it's not that big of a stretch, really, for how rigidly scripted and "spectacle-driven" Uncharted usually is. One could argue that Sonic Generations is actually less scripted than Uncharted is, given how buck wild they went with alternate pathways and such; Uncharted will still often fail you if you deviate from any specific script trigger.

What screen ratio do you use? 16x9 or 16x10? I'm not sure if its my fraps settings, windows movie maker, or youtube...but everytime I upload a video from my PC, I end up having black bars on the side.

Kinda off topic I know, but was just looking at the difference between my Sky Sanctuary video and your video.

Wow. This game @ 1080p, max everything, 4x MSAA + 4x SGSSAA... locked at 60 FPS and so, so gorgeous.

This is how Sonic always should have been. Yeah, Modern Sonic isn't as cool, but holy shit Sega could work wonders if they kept improving on this. I haven't enjoyed Sonic games for a LONG time, but Generations is pretty slick.

What screen ratio do you use? 16x9 or 16x10? I'm not sure if its my fraps settings, windows movie maker, or youtube...but everytime I upload a video from my PC, I end up having black bars on the side.

Kinda off topic I know, but was just looking at the difference between my Sky Sanctuary video and your video.

I'm using 16:9 in that video. I actually have a 4:3 monitor, so I recorded it in 1024x768 and then stretched it in Virtualdub to 1280x720. It's not "true" HD, but it's better than the scaling in the console versions.

848x480 is a good 16:9 standard-def resolution, if you can't post in HD.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
mhm

*shots*
If it's possible... er... if it isn't too much trouble, when you get to the Modern Planet Wisp Challenge 4 (Action Master), can you take a few screens of that, please?

I think it's one of the most breathtaking levels in this game.

Teknoman

I'm using 16:9 in that video. I actually have a 4:3 monitor, so I recorded it in 1024x768 and then stretched it in Virtualdub to 1280x720. It's not "true" HD, but it's better than the scaling in the console versions.

848x480 is a good 16:9 standard-def resolution, if you can't post in HD.

I usually record at 1440x900 and then just publish at 1280x720, but i'll give some different settings a shot in that case.

And yeah, every game should have screenshot capabilities, console or PC.

CB82113ADFE0C67CC0EF6BCBF680F452028151A1

4FF2DC33B044DC17EB4D2C8215733C6E7AED5C0A

I play the games off D drive but had fraps at the time saving to C, both my HDD's are the same make so maybe I went a little too cheap on the hardware and they just suck.

Teknoman

Planet Wisp would be one of the most memorable environments in Sonic history if it wasn't for the shitty factory rubbish.

Factory is fine (every Sonic needs some highly industrial stage), its just how they beat you over the head with wisps. In the actual Sonic Colors Wii version, you really arent bombarded with the same power up over and over...and they dont feel as stiff for some reason. Dunno how they messed that up. Should've been even parts wilderness and factory.

Factory is fine (every Sonic needs some highly industrial stage), its just how they beat you over the head with wisps. In the actual Sonic Colors Wii version, you really arent bombarded with the same power up over and over...and they dont feel as stiff for some reason. Dunno how they messed that up. Should've been even parts wilderness and factory.

Generations Planet Wisp makes the factory and forest areas separate which doesn't work for me since the original version feels closer to a clash of the two areas for most of the stage giving it a heavier deforestation vibe. That and the forest areas in generations are so much more fun than the factory it makes the industrial theme feel that much worse.

Teknoman

Speed Highway is the shit. One of the only levels I'm bothering to do every challenge for.

Try to blast through Rooftop Run Act 2 with Super Sonic Racing on. Some of the classic Seaside hill challenges are kinda fun (the platforming centric ones) as well as Act 1 of Crisis City Zone.

Sonic's next new main series title better get a PC release as well.

cory.

Banned
Yeah I watched the Giant Bomb quick look of Colors and it looked a lot more fun than the Generations representation.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
i hate this part of the level ...pointless and annoying
And to think Colours' version was nearly perfect with regards to balancing between utilizing wisps, and going through it as Sonic himself. You didn't have to spam the wisps at all in Colours. The added obstructions like saws, and wisp spam in the Generations version didn't help things much. But the art direction for the level is lovely. The lighting is wonderful.

I do wish that the more "organic" side of the level had more representation, though. It just felt like FACTORY FACTORY FACTORY was almost a necessity in the Generations version.

I tend to save Super Sonic Racing for Classic doppleganger races. His World is my go-to song for Modern races.
I was replaying the game yesterday and for some odd reason I started using What I'm Made Of for some of the challenges.

lol, I used Live and Learn for the final boss. Maybe I should try What I'm Made Of next.

But EVERYBODY'S SUPER SONIC RACING (try to keep your feet right on the ground) should be default for the doppelganger races.

JEKKI

whoo~!! I got 2 things!!

the new iphone,

and this game on Steam!!

I bought it coz it looked very colorful and I heard it has real good music.

but the thing is... I have never played a 3D Sonic game ever (except for Sonic R) so I'm struggling with the "modern" levels lol.

whoo~!! I got 2 things!!

the new iphone,

and this game on Steam!!

I bought it coz it looked very colorful and I heard it has real good music.

but the thing is... I have never played a 3D Sonic game ever (except for Sonic R) so I'm struggling with the "modern" levels lol.

As long as you ain't trying to boost everywhere, and slow down on occasion, you'll do fine JEKKIDAWG

EDIT: Finally got all S-Ranks and Red Stars. Now to clean up all the challenges!

Tuck

Modern Crisis City is so good. So much 3D platforming.

Perfect Chaos was good too, though the level seemed a bit... unpolished.

Modern Crisis City is so good. So much 3D platforming.

Perfect Chaos was good too, though the level seemed a bit... unpolished.

All of the bosses have weird quirks to them for some reason, some (Egg Dragoon, Time Eater) more obvious than others. But I've had weird stuff happen even on Death Egg Robot.

Lijik

Im not gonna lie, the things they made you use the spikes wisp for were cool in concept.
But then they made you keep doing them without ever really building on it. It felt like a bad stage gimmick from Sonic 3.

Nert

It's nitpicky, but the the thing that bugs me the most about the wisps as they're implemented in Generations is that they still cut away from the normal stage music even though they show up way more often. Having the "Spikes!" music blare for half of the stage's running time (if not more) is really irritating.

JEKKI

aw maaaaan any1 else playing on PC?!?!

I jus beat the first boss and the following cutscene just seemed to abruptly cut!!

I youtube'd the boss and yup, my cutscene prematurely ended.

I hope this isnt an issue in the future!!!

becoz Id rather play this game on PC than on my new iphone...

Top Bottom