• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

TimmiT

One of the site staff of Sonic Retro (who got the game today) hinted that there's a
Chrome Gadget
remix in one of the Speed Highway missions.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
JonCha said:
lol, prepare to be surprised

Suprised by broken physics and 30 fps? *trollface*

I don't expect the game to be bad, but when I'm really just interested in the remade Mega Drive levels, and out of those I'm mostly just interested in the Classic Sonic acts and the 2D parts of Modern Sonic.. yeah, no, it's just not a full price day 1 purchase for me.

JonCha

Combichristoffersen said:
Suprised by broken physics and 30 fps? *trollface*

I don't expect the game to be bad, but when I'm really just interested in the remade Mega Drive levels, and out of those I'm mostly just interested in the Classic Sonic acts and the 2D parts of Modern Sonic.. yeah, no, it's just not a full price day 1 purchase for me.
At this point I don't see why you bother with Sonic if that's all you're interested in.

And broken? How? Cause you can spin dash a bit faster?

.la1n

JonCha said:
lol, prepare to be surprised

I'm not writing the game off, in fact it looks good enough and plays better than any other recent effort. I just don't see myself lining up for it $60.00 plus tax in hand.

RagnarokX

JonCha said:
At this point I don't see why you bother with Sonic if that's all you're interested in.

How are they not broken? Sonic loses momentum rolling downhill.

.la1n said:
I'm not writing the game off, in fact it looks good enough and plays better than any other recent effort. I just don't see myself lining up for it $60.00 plus tax in hand.

The standard price is $49.95. It's $47.99 on Amazon though.

Gamestop Germany's score for Sonic Generations.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword – 93%
WWE ’12 – 90%
Batman: Arkham City – 95%
Uncharted 3 – 94%
Forza Motorsport 4 – 93%
RAGE – 84%
Super Mario 3D Land – 92%
Sonic Generations – 87%
NBA 2K12 – 93%
X-Men: Destiny – 54%
Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One – 78%
Spider-Man: Edge of Time – 68%
Harvest Moon: Grand Bazaar – 77%
Crysis – 86%

JonCha

RagnarokX said:
How are they not broken? Sonic loses momentum rolling downhill.
But the levels designed in a way rolling really doesn't need to be used. Ever. So on that sense it isn't broken, because it doesn't break the game. Of course it does need to be fixed.

Anth0ny

JonCha said:
But the levels designed in a way rolling really doesn't need to be used. Ever. So on that sense it isn't broken, because it doesn't break the game. Of course it does need to be fixed.

But then it's not classic sonic.

so it's bad.

It's okay everyone, PC version will have all this fixed.

RagnarokX

JonCha said:
And that's bad level design...

TheCongressman1 said:
Exactly. If they're not going to do it correctly, there's no point for them to have even included classic besides rounding up nostalgia money.

Yep.
Did you guys play the demo's they put out? What a disaster, played nothing like the classics. The physics are completely broken, and because of that, the game is unplayable.
And modern sonic? HORSE SHIT. Absolutely disgusting, the game is just not fun AT ALL.

It's like.. they're not even putting any effort into Generations. No hard work and no love was put into this game. Sonic Team should just give up. Let Sonic die already Sega.

Anyone agree?

Lijik

JonCha said:
I know you mean well and want people to be excited for the game, but defending a bad decision (and doing so really poorly) isn't going to change anyone's minds.

I don't think you ever needed to roll in any of the old Sonic games. It was an extra level of depth to the traversal that once you mastered it added more fun to the experience.

7echnicolor said:
Yep.
Did you guys play the demo's they put out? What a disaster, played nothing like the classics. The physics are completely broken, and because of that, the game is unplayable.
And modern sonic? HORSE SHIT. Absolutely disgusting, the game is just not fun AT ALL.

It's like.. they're not even putting any effort into Generations. No hard work and no love was put into this game. Sonic Team should just give up. Let Sonic die already Sega.

Anyone agree?
I'm pretty confident you're being facetious, but it depresses me that it could pass for a totally serious post here.

RagnarokX

7echnicolor said:
Yep.

Anyone agree?
"I didn't hate the demo therefore there is absolutely nothing wrong with it! It doesn't matter that the physics work nothing like in the classic games because the levels are designed around the limitations created and therefore don't play much like classic levels! It's not like classic gameplay is a major selling point!"

Sega is getting a lot right this time, but that's no reason to ignore what they are still getting wrong, especially when what they are getting wrong is fundamental to what people want from Classic Sonic; gameplay. I like what I played, but it needs work.

Stupid USPS not ringing my bell. I have to wait another day for the Sonic 1&2 collection CD.

I might as well finish Sonic Unleashed while I wait...

JonCha

Lijik said:
I know you mean well and want people to be excited for the game, but defending a bad decision (and doing so really poorly) isn't going to change anyone's minds.

I don't think you ever needed to roll in any of the old Sonic games. It was an extra level of depth to the traversal that once you mastered it added more fun to the experience.

Hey, the rolling does suck and I want it fixed. It's don't a deal-breaker though. Not even close.

scitek

How different is the Wii version of Unleashed? It's really cheap nearby and I've been thinking of running through it in Dolphin.

Zafir

Tizoc said:
So how much is the Special Edition with the figurine going for now? Assuming some sites still sell it?
I take it you mean the EU CE? A lot have sold out. Amazon.de have it for 95 euros, though bear in mind the packaging will possibly be in German, not sure if that bothers you. If you're willing to give Grainger Games money after the GMA debacle they still have the PS3 version for £98 I think. Other than that you may have to ebay it.

Sonic Generations is many things to many people, but saying there was no hard work or love put into it? Have you SEEN the fan service put into this thing? That's just flat out incorrect.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
7echnicolor said:
Yep.

Anyone agree?
I hope you're being facetious.

There was clearly a LOT of effort put into this and I think they've delivered a fantastic game. Does it play exactly like the Genesis games? No, it doesn't (though I think it plays much better than Sonic CD). It still plays very well in its own right, however. It's a beautiful, fast, fun platforming action game.

Still, even if you dislike the game, you can't deny that there was clearly a lot of effort put into the product. To suggest that it is a lazy effort is really insulting as that is obviously not the case.

RagnarokX

Lijik said:

You needed to roll to get enough speed down slopes to make it high enough off ramps, break through walls, and protect yourself from enemies. If you got stuck at the bottom of a halfpipe you needed to roll to gain momentum to get out.

Basically rolling was fasted and safer than running at the sacrifice of more precise control (harder to slow down, have to jump).

The worst thing about Classic GHZ was simply too much shit on screen. Its way too busy, so the background and middleground blend in with the foreground and make this big blurry mess.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
7echnicolor said:
Yep.

Anyone agree?

Sonic Colors oozed love from every pore. Generations seems to be continuing that. It doesn't matter if classic Sonic isn't "omfg pixel mapped to genesis phyx!". It plays rock solid, feels great just plain as a platformer by any game's standards. And the further tweaks to modern Sonic improve on the few remaining rough edges that Sonic Colors had in the area of platforming and controls.

And yes, it's a downright lie to claim that no care or effort is put into Generations. Absurd amounts of effort is going into evoking the classic zones, translating them into a new look without perverting the art direction or intentions. Same with the soundtrack, etc.

You sound determined to loath Sonic, even when Sonic Team is finally getting their act together. Sonic fandom is full of insane degrees of nostalgia bias; that's what you get with Sonic fans I guess.

Guys I think he's joking, making fun of all the ONLY 30 FPSESS?? HE SLOWS DOWN ON A ROLLLL??? WORSE THAN 06 CONFIRMD!!!!

I think it's really funny when people shit on this game for being 30fps locked when all other AAA releases this fall are doing the same, and especially since this has been the same engine they have used for 5 years, why is anyone surprised? And on top of that you can still get a 60fps+ master race version on the PC.

The rolling slope thing should be fixed but it doesn't suddenly make the game an unplayable travesty either like some make it out to be. It's also a thing that could be patched in over night,
in the PC version by modders
so people need to chillax and stop making it out to be the new minecart.

7echnicolor said:
Yep.

Anyone agree?

The initial demo classic Sonic game-play was horrid. They have made some improvements to how Sonic controls in this more recent demo, yeah it's not all the way there. It doesn't take much to see that it doesn't control as well as actual Genesis Sonic games.

However, it isn't an absolute failure either. Also, the modern Sonic game-play is great, that part is a real blast. At this point I'm willing to play through some just alright parts, to get to the good stuff. It's better than playing through shitty parts like in every other Sonic game.

Who knows? Maybe some of those classic Sonic levels will be good enough to briefly ignore the control shortcomings, it could happen.

In any case, yeah they didn't nail the classic game-play. I'm still really excited for Generations, though.

Lijik

7echnicolor from earlier in this thread, in case anyone actually thinks he's serious:
7echnicolor said:
Wow it looks so FUN.
The level design is fantastic.

I can't wait to get my hands on this game, day one.

scitek

SwiftSketcher said:
I think it's really funny when people shit on this game for being 30fps locked when all other AAA releases this fall are doing the same, and especially since this has been the same engine they have used for 5 years, why is anyone surprised? And on top of that you can still get a 60fps+ master race version on the PC.

This we don't know. I'm hoping to get a review copy so I can let people know for sure.

cevansdust

Neo Member
This thread makes me truly realize just how strong the Sonic community is. Even after the consistent let downs. Can't wait to play this game.

Pietepiet

7echnicolor said:
It's like.. they're not even putting any effort into Generations. No hard work and no love was put into this game.

I hope to God that you're joking. You can't honestly think that this game was made without any love or hard work put into it.

Don't worry guys, I'm kidding. I know the amount of effort and work they've put into Generations. I've been following the game since the day it was announced. It's funny though because I'm sure there are people out there who actually agree with my post.

Lijik said:
7echnicolor from earlier in this thread, in case anyone actually thinks he's serious:

You got it. :p

ShadiWulf

just saw a generations ad on youtube

CRxNf.jpg

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
Huh. I wonder if the usual places that break street dates in my area will have it in this weekend.
Yeah, I just thought about that one a few hours ago. The release date is so close: I think I'll just wait it out.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
JonCha said:

I was joking about the physics and 30 fps :p The spindash being fast is just a minor annoyance, nothing really big. And I bother because I'm still waiting for Sega to make another great Sonic 2D game, like the Classic Sonic parts in Generations (only with Mega Drive inspired levels rather than a bunch of city levels)

nns3d

It appears that Sonic Generations has broke the franchise record for most pre-orders.

http://gematsu.com/2011/10/sonic-generations-pre-orders-top-franchise-history

People are excited about Sonic Generations. Sega announced today that pre-orders for the upcoming PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and 3DS title have exceed all previous pre-orders from the franchise's 20-year catalog.

“Sonic Generations is the ultimate title to cap off Sonic's 20th anniversary and we have put our full support behind it with a number of truly amazing initiatives,” said Alan Pritchard, Executive Vice President of Sales & Marketing at Sega of America. “This year is a milestone for Sonic and we want to make sure this is the best title that Sonic fans, old and new, have been waiting for.”

Celebrating Sonic‘s 20th anniversary, Sega highlighted its investments in a number of large-scale promotional initiatives:

Six Flags Partnership, throughout October: Nationwide theme park brand implementation with Sonic Generations game zones for hands-on experience and marketing messaging across the Six Flags Digital Networks. (I was actually at Six Flags last weekend and saw the campaign in action).

Sonic Generations of Skate, October 22: The nationally broadcast (November 25 on FOX Sports Net) professional skateboarding tournament featuring legendary skaters Steve Caballero, Tony Hawk, Pierre Luc Gagnon, Andy Macdonald, Mitchie Brusco and more, united skateboarders from multiple generations to compete in an event celebrating Sonic Generations and Sonic's 20th Anniversary. (Venice Beach, CA)

Custom Sonic Playground, October 28: SEGA and KaBOOM! have partnered to build a custom Sonic-themed playground for kids in East Oakland, CA at the Youth UpRising community center. (Oakland, CA)

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade – November 24: Modern Sonic will be making his debut as a helium balloon in this year's parade. In 1993, Classic Sonic was the first-ever video game character in the annual event. (New York, NY)

Sonic Generations is due out November 1 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, and November 22 for 3DS.

Top Bottom