• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

The Xtortionist said:
Never tried to speedrun Classic lol. Barely got 1:52 even for Modern after 3 hours of trying. Sub-1:50 is near-impossible.
The current record is 1:41 or something crazy like that. Sub 1:50 isn't too bad if you know the shortcuts. Two easy to miss ones are the wall jump path on the rails after the giant fish and the breakable bridge near the end of the level.

AwakenedCloud said:
The current record is 1:41 or something crazy like that. Sub 1:50 isn't too bad if you know the shortcuts. Two easy to miss ones are the wall jump path on the rails after the giant fish and the breakable bridge near the end of the level.

I use all of those, plus I quick hop over the last rail booster near the fish and ramp after the double corkscrew : /

RobbieNick

http://www.tssznews.com/2011/10/29/rumor-details-emerge-on-wii-u-sonic/

Say Whaaa?

Probably just rumor. Sega needs to let Sonic Team rest from Sonic and work on something else for a change.

If true though, it reminds me of this.

fultav.jpg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
RobbieNick said:
http://www.tssznews.com/2011/10/29/rumor-details-emerge-on-wii-u-sonic/

Say Whaaa?

Probably just rumor. Sega needs to let Sonic Team rest from Sonic and work on something else for a change.

Sonic Team? Rest? Bwahaha.

As for the rumor...

TSSZ said:
That includes the use of the Wii U mini-tablets for up to a 4 person multiplayer

I'm pretty sure Wii U only supports one tablet controller, and Nintendo is having trouble even getting that running for devkits.

Still, I really really want four of them to be usable, but who knows. At this point I'd say the rumor is debunked.

Edit-
TSSZ said:
If that sounds a lot like a Nintendo idea, that’s because it is, and no wonder; we’ve learned Sega is allegedly working directly with some Nintendo developers on this game. That’s in addition to most of, if not the entire staff for Sonic Colors being back on board for Dimensions. The Nintendo developers are allegedly assisting Sega design the levels, which we’re told will be more surreal, on similar thinking as Colors.

LOL ya this is bunk.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It totally reminds me those Archie Sonic comics that concentrating on Zonic and the different zones (with all the different Sonics and representations of the characters in different universes).

Haha, it feels like I'm talking about Chrono Cross and Chrono Trigger up in this thread.

Andrex said:

Well, we'd hope Sega has learnt from history given that one of the reasons for the decline of the series was people feeling burnt out and not giving a shit after being forced to work on nothing but Sonic for so long and that the recent upswing in quality pretty much coincides with an influx of younger people coming in and refreshing the studio with Unleashed.

It would be a shame for them to fall into the same trap after getting so much right over the last few years.

RobbieNick

Andrex said:

As for the rumor...

I'm pretty sure Wii U only supports one tablet controller, and Nintendo is having trouble even getting that running for devkits.

Still, I really really want four of them to be usable, but who knows. At this point I'd say the rumor is debunked.

The Wii U only uses one tablet controller, The rest is Wii-Mote and nunchuck.

Yea. I think it's bunk too.

RobbieNick said:
The Wii U only uses one tablet controller, The rest is Wii-Mote and nunchuck.

Yea. I think it's bunk too.

And that is why I shall not purchase a Wii U, probably until it drops so much in price that my bank balance won't notice it. It seems crazy to introduce a new controller and then have only one person able to use it.

Back on topic. I am so damn hyped for this game. Wanted the collectors edition, but I am in China and not back in the UK till January. ;_;

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So, the Sonic Generations JP site updated once again.... but the only addition was the "Collection" option.

This is a section detailing the "Collection Room" for both the Blue and White versions of the game. This, however, means that it's stuff we already know (ie: you can listen to BGM in here, look at concept art and character profiles, etc which you unlock). There are a few screenshots available.
(Furthermore, the description makes reference to a "secret collection that will be accessed by a password", but I'm going to assume this is related to the Japanese website/the Japanese version as they made a bit of a deal about the release of a password in a few days within the description.)

Sonic Generations: White Time and Space

http://i.imgur.com/lCHzq.jpg <-- a pic of the cutscenes archive with some of them unlocked so I'm just linking it just in case one of the cutscene preview photos has spoilers.

http://i.imgur.com/FqS7a.jpg <-- a pic of the sound test menu with one theme unlocked and a partial shot of the Collection Room... I'm just linking it just in case for minor spoiler reasons.

o9MCt.jpg

9U0i8.jpg

Sonic Generations: Blue Adventure

2rnec0k.jpg
2ujplkh.jpg
4tkqis.jpg

RagnarokX

"Act 1 lets you play side-scroller style stages with easy to learn Classic Sonic controls.

In Act 2 stages, you'll switch gameplay between side scrolling 2D and 3D forward views. You can enjoy high speed platforming gameplay in these stages.

You can play Act 1 and Act 2 in any order (Act 1 tends to be easier, though). Clear an Act to proceed to the next stage. The path will sparkle until the stage is cleared."

Gotta love the tutorials trying to sell Modern as better :p

RagnarokX said:
"Act 1 lets you play side-scroller style stages with easy to learn Classic Sonic controls.

In Act 2 stages, you'll switch gameplay between side scrolling 2D and 3D forward views. You can enjoy high speed platforming gameplay in these stages.

You can play Act 1 and Act 2 in any order (Act 1 tends to be easier, though). Clear an Act to proceed to the next stage. The path will sparkle until the stage is cleared."

Gotta love the tutorials trying to sell Modern as better :p

I'm looking way more forward to the Modern portions.

That's actually a fairly accurate description.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Ozone said:
Is that second pic the last pre-Adventure art of Sonic before he became Modern Sonic? Because I REALLY like it. It's a shame they didn't stick with it.
Yep--it's Sonic Adventure concept art. I'm interested in the other pieces of concept art that's going to be in the game as a result.

I would invite people who aren't familiar with it to watch a few episodes of the Sonic GameTap retrospective linked in the Game Documentaries thread, Parts 2 and 3 in particular, for some backstory for Sonic's original design (with the original rock band and human girlfriend Madonna + Sonic's fangs).

GrizzNKev

Banned
Shadowlink said:
Who here on GAF finished Green Hill Zone the fastest with Classic Sonic? My time is 0:54:36.

My best time was 0:55:55. Don't expect me to beat that, it was hard enough to get that.

I've been listening to the OST, and I'm up to City Escape. The modern version... it... it's disgusting and offensive. Completely lacking anything that made the original great. Classic version is pretty nice though.

the one thing i don't like about sonic generations is that it's almost too good

actually, is it just me or is classic sonic a little too cuddly? not that i'm complaining, i want to hug him and everything, but there's never been a time that sonic wasn't extreme to the max

Chao said:
Captura%20de%20pantalla%202011-10-29%20a%20la(s)%2013.44.55.png

Sonic and Knuckles are cool with it, but Tails is new to LSD it seems.

haha. i wonder how long it'll be until s&k starts getting irritated cuz tails won't stfu

Chao

milkyjay20 said:
haha. i wonder how long it'll be until s&k starts getting irritated cuz tails won't stfu

"Can you see the colors guys? It's like the walls are melting with sparkles"
"Shut up Tails and try to look cool, we're trying to pose for a game cover here"

Chao said:
"Can you see the colors guys? It's like the walls are melting with sparkles"
"Shut up Tails and try to look cool, we're trying to pose for a game cover here"

*flash*

tails: OH GOD OH GOD OHHHHG DOO

0 HP

i saw this game yesterday by me, but when you try to buy it the register tells the cashier to reject the sale. does anybody know any ways around this? its just sitting on the shelves.

slip a different game's cover over the generation's one

ideally Sonic '06 or Unleashed so if they bother to look inside the box for a quick second they won't notice anything off

I'm joking DON'T ATTEMPT THIS

NTom64

Man, these remixes are incredible (Crisis City Classic in particular).

Not a fan of the final boss theme though. No sir, not at all.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
SuperAngelo64 said:
People don't like Chaotix? What the fuck is this shit?!

I thought it was universally well-liked?!

Granted there were...way...way too many stages, it was still a good and solid concept and well executed.

Fun characters
, great visuals, amazing soundtrack.

'the hell, GAF.

We'll have to disagree there.

Personally I found the level design to be pretty damn bad, and the clunky co-op mechanic only made it worse. The music was admittedly decent enough, but the characters? A bunch of Sonic's shitty friends that no one cared about, or wanted to play as. Why even make a Sonic game when you don't even get to play as Sonic, and Sonic wasn't even in the game? That said, the concept in itself was kinda interesting, but in no way, shape or form was it well executed in Chaotix.

Combichristoffersen said:
We'll have to disagree there.

Personally I found the level design to be pretty damn bad, and the clunky co-op mechanic only made it worse. The music was admittedly decent enough, but the characters? A bunch of Sonic's shitty friends that no one cared about, or wanted to play as. Why even make a Sonic game when you don't even get to play as Sonic, and Sonic wasn't even in the game? That said, the concept in itself was kinda interesting, but in no way, shape or form was it well executed in Chaotix.

Vector and Knuckles are my favorite Sonic characters... so maybe it just isn't as painful for me.

I wouldn't say the level design is bad, but it is a little repetitive. The co-op mechanic... I really don't see as being 'clunky', I see getting tripped up in the ring band as a penalty for not executing your tactics well enough. It's not like the band ever glitched up or did anything the physics didn't intend it to do, it was just occasionally a little chaotic if you overshot/undershot a throw, jump, launch, etc.

I do think the majority of power-up screens were awful though.

Duallusion

How many 2D acts/levels are there, per zone? More then one, I hope?

I really hope this and Rayman sells well enough; non-Nintendo platforms need more proper, meaty platformers!

Top Bottom