• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Peterthumpa

I cannot wait for this game but holy fuck at how bad Sonic's voice acting is.
Seems like a dudebro voice for a character completely away from this style.

And... is Tails really gay?

Any known differences between the two console versions? I've heard Unleashed ran significantly worse on PS3 so I would like to know which would be the better platform to get this on.

Thanks.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
felipepl said:
I cannot wait for this game but holy fuck at how bad Sonic's voice acting is.
Seems like a dudebro voice for a character completely away from this style.
Sonic's new voice actor is the same guy who voiced Chris "Boulder-Puncher" Redfield.

Rush2thestart said:
Any known differences between the two console versions? I've heard Unleashed ran significantly worse on PS3 so I would like to know which would be the better platform to get this on.

Thanks.
Go with the 360 version if possible. It apparently has the more stable framerate then the PS3 version based on reviews... but the console versions are more or less similar.

Seik

Banned
Aaaaaah crap.

I'm at my job, the game is RIGHT FUCKING THERE, in my bag, waiting for me to open it, but I can't...cauz I'm at WORK.

HHHGGGNNNNNN

Only 3 hours left....

The Shadow Battle is absolute bullshit...

First bad thing in the game and figure it comes from Shadow....It's not hard just tedious as fuck

RobbieNick

Knux-Future said:

First bad thing in the game and figure it comes from Shadow....It's not hard just tedious as fuck

Actually, that was my favorite rival fight. The others aren't as challenging.

UGH!

During the final boss fight, All of Sonic's friends are talking. It's really annoying.

Congratulations Ruby! It's been a long, rough road, but it's finally here.

Ozone said:
Hey Ruby, tell the guys and gals at SEGA to keep those Classic Sonic assets around. I don't want this to be the last we see of him.

Absolutely, absolutely this.

Lucentto

Banned
Knux-Future said:

I found it really easy actually, beat him under a minute almost.

Let me in

I played for a few hours today. I think they nailed the controls. That was one of the biggest gripes I had about most of the modern games. It's very playable.

It's so bright and colorful and it's not shy about showing it off. It looks spectacular on a plasma panel. Everything looks great.

This is the first time I haven't been insanely frustrated with the "modern" style of play (boosting, third-person viewpoint behind sonic). I enjoy both.

So far I'm not disappointed.

Roger Craig Smith > Jason Griffith.

But, Jason did a good job in Unleashed. It's a shame that as soon as he got comfortable doing the voice of Sonic, he gets axed.

robot

Finished up a nice 2 hour session and it's pretty awesome. Loving everything about the game so far, but whats really blowing my mind is the music. Hearing the track during the
Metal Sonic
battle stage was amazing. My brother had a Sonic album like 15 years ago that I think is remixes of the Japanese version of Sonic CD, and that track completely caught me by surprise in the game. Even seeing the Sega Genesis laying there put a big smile on my face. They really turned up the fan service, great stuff.

Anth0ny

Scullibundo said:
What possessed them to make classic Tails talk if they had already happened upon the idea that classic Sonic shouldn't?

Classic Tails speaks=who cares

Classic Sonic speaks=death threats

Knux-Future said:
also they wanted to get Urkel but something fell through.

They said that, but it seems a bit suss to me. I mean dude was obviously proud of being Sonic, and is even lined up to reprise the role in a fan film, surely he'd jump at the chance to be in a game.

Midou

While the skill of the stream is questionable, it has convinced me and I pre-ordered it on Steam, $30 is fucking amazing for non-sale price, $20 cheaper than consoles, sogood.

Anth0ny

Knux-Future said:

Seriously. The modern Sonic boss battles were all horrible imo, but Shadow was on some Mario Kart rubber band AI shit.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished Sky Sanctuary Act 1. I've got my Sonic on still since I got Ss in everything ;)

Anth0ny said:
Seriously. The modern Sonic boss battles were all horrible imo, but Shadow was on some Mario Kart rubber band AI shit.

THIS.

That's what the problem was..I couldn't place it but yep this is it.

You're all like "okay gotta get this portal thingy"

Shadow: lolnope...itz mine bitch.

You:FFFFFFFFFUuuuuuuuuuuu

Bit that's been the only blemish so far. I'm not to happy with the extra levels...in that I wish there were more straight get to the end goal levels instead of do this without getting hit or before time runs out using Amy's Hammer..that was a flaw of Secret rings too and that plus the shitty controls kept me from beating it..not a big deal since the actual levels are freaking amazing (Seaside Hill has been the best so far) but just something I wish was different.

9 levels is too little they should have done 12 at the very least but hey baby steps.

Awesome game otherwise.

Side Note: Anyone have videos to the little cutscenes after you save people..I've been saving everyone with Classic Sonic since his levels feel closer to actual act 2's (I die a lot man...wtf?) than Modern. My OCD is kicking in there...don't want to start all over just to see them all.

Okay...

Classic Sonic actually plays way better than Modern Sonic in my opinion.

I still feel like with Modern Sonic I am all over the place. >.<;

Also, anyone notice a lot of screen tearing and pixely graphics during cutscenes? Also, slowdown in the levels when Sonic is moving too fast. :/

EDIT: PS3 version...

Just got home with the game a bit ago and I went through Act 1 & 2 then let my boyfriend start a new game and apparently it saved over my game.......no multiple saves?

ckohler

I'm to the second but boss rather than face him I decided to go back and start completing a bunch of challenge stages. I just finished completing all in GREEN HILL as both Classic and Modern. They are a mixed bag at times but there are some REALLY great ones in there! I especially like how "Super Sonic Racing" plays during the character races. I hope that's an unlockable song.

I actually have a harder time playing Classic Sonic levels than I do Modern. Both are great though. City Escape was epic for both.

Have you guys been using any of the skills? I saved up my points to unlock Sonic on Genesis first so I haven't bought any.

Also, I thought I heard you could mix and match music with stages. Is this true and if so how?

dani_dc

So amazon.co.uk changed the pre-order date of the PC version from the 4th to the 25th.
Any news about a delay of the retail PC version?

branny

ckohler said:
Also, I thought I heard you could mix and match music with stages. Is this true and if so how?
You'll eventually collect songs by doing random things. For example, you'll see a bell above the challenge archways after completing them; hitting the bell will result in a musical note (orange notes give songs when you catch them). I think I unlocked a couple automatically by beating a story stage or maybe it was red rings or something.

After you've unlocked a song, a "Change Music" option appears before you start each stage to select a song for it.

Teknoman

ckohler said:
I'm to the second but boss rather than face him I decided to go back and start completing a bunch of challenge stages. I just finished completing all in GREEN HILL as both Classic and Modern. They are a mixed bag at times but there are some REALLY great ones in there! I especially like how "Super Sonic Racing" plays during the character races. I hope that's an unlockable song.

I actually have a harder time playing Classic Sonic levels than I do Modern. Both are great though. City Escape was epic for both.

Have you guys been using any of the skills? I saved up my points to unlock Sonic on Genesis first so I haven't bought any.

Unlock music via beating acts/challenges. When you play a challenge, you can change the music at the menu before the stage starts. For actual zones, you have to at least beat each Act once. I think every song is unlockable.

As for skills, I bought the one that makes it so Sonic doesnt fall on his rear when hit...thats about it so far. Dunno why they thought it was a good idea for Sonic to literally fall when he gets hit.

And Anthony, the game post Green Hill really REALLY discourages boosting unless its just to kill enemies directly in front/to catch air on a ramp. So just take it slow.

Replicant

nq3Ab.jpg

1VYv3.jpg

Not a bad pre-order present. I guess I'll see tonight if the game is any good.

Teknoman

Mupod said:
Probably my biggest fear about the PC version at this point. Even a 60fps cap would be disappointing to me, but I could live with it.

The original time-limited demo on 360 really messed up my eyes. The sidescrolling, framerate, and how 'busy' the game was visually made it hard to even look at in motion. The new demo runs smoother, but I still based my purchase of the PC version on the hope that I'd be able to run it at 60+ fps.

The retail 360 version plays much smoother than the most recent demo, but not at 60.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just watched a few let's play vids of S3+K(never played much of them as a kid), and man that game looks great! Clearly so much love went into that game, the animated level transitions, the remixed music and environmental changes from Act 1->2 in each zone, actual minibosses at the end of every act.

Hell, I love that the game isn't always purely about speed. More obstacle course platformer than a 'tiered' racetrack(actually almost all the Genesis games were like this). Every zone really throws something completely new at you. Completely understand why people would place it above Sonic 2 now in rank lists, it really seemed like a polished package.

Also watched a bit of Sonic CD...just as I sorta remember, it's almost the opposite. Horrible level layouts that look more like pixel vomit than actual courses. Terrible implementation of time travel as well. I never liked it much in the early 90's and watching vids of both it and S3+K back to back it's crystal clear which is superior.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Adam J. said:
Wait a minute, is it $40 everywhere, or is that just an Amazon deal? Halfway tempted to bite at that price.
Amazon-only, it seems like.

MidnightScott said:
Also, anyone notice a lot of screen tearing and pixely graphics during cutscenes? Also, slowdown in the levels when Sonic is moving too fast. :/

EDIT: PS3 version...
I noticed both of these issues as well with the PS3 version.

Blueblur1

Not really liking the game. Classic Sonic is fun but still feels off and Modern Sonic is worse than ever. When he's not moving at high speeds or boosting, he's a pain to steer and I'm not a fan of the nerfed air boost and the lack of ring magnetism when boosting.

And then there's the Skills. They just don't belong in a game like this, IMO. And those cutscenes are just about the worse in Sonic history.

Top Bottom