• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

...THIS SHIT READS LIKE A GOVERNMENT PERSONNEL FILE.
KuGsj.gif

K701

Banned
MidnightScott said:
WTF kind of bullshit is that,

they dropped the price to $37.49 yet I get charged $48.98...

Is there any way for me to get them to credit it back to my account? >>;

I ordered it a few weeks ago and it shipped today and got here today...

Return it then buy it at gamestop for $50.00. That'll show 'em

MidnightScott said:
WTF kind of bullshit is that,

they dropped the price to $37.49 yet I get charged $48.98...

Is there any way for me to get them to credit it back to my account? >>;

I ordered it a few weeks ago and it shipped today and got here today...

Tell them to price adjust or else you will to cancel the order & reorder it anyway.

Anth0ny

TheOGB said:
I'd also like to know this

I would tell you

but I played the game in Japanese so the experience wasn't tainted by horrible English voice acting. Not knowing what anyone said felt great =D

RobbieNick

Anth0ny said:
I would tell you

but I played the game in Japanese so the experience wasn't tainted by horrible English voice acting. Not knowing what anyone said felt great =D

Yes, cuz EVERYTHING'S better in the superior land of Japan. "Rolls eyes".

Dude, it's the best voice acting they've had and not listening to language in your native dialogue is crazy to me. This is not an anime where the native language has the best emotion. (Except Cowboy Bebop which has great english voice acting.)

Also, they're cartoon characters. They are gonna talk in a cartoony manner.

ChuckNoLuck said:
Joystiq's review is up.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/11/01/sonic-generations-review/

★★★/★★★★★

Is it just me, or does this come off kinda "douchebaggery" if you will?

Anth0ny

RobbieNick said:
Yes, cuz EVERYTHING'S better in the superior land of Japan. "Rolls eyes".

Dude, it's the best voice acting they've had and not listening to language in your native dialogue is crazy to me. This is not an anime where the native language has the best emotion.

Sonic voice acting is, and always has been, fucking awful. Besides, I'm used to the Japanese voices from Sonic Adventure 2.

RobbieNick

Anth0ny said:
Sonic voice acting is, and always has been, fucking awful. Besides, I'm used to the Japanese voices from Sonic Adventure 2.

It's been much better from Colors on. It's not Sonic Heroes anymore.

The way I see it is that if you go into the game expecting to hate the modern sections then you will.

It's not for everyone and it does nothing new to change minds there.

So the Joystik review just read like he hates the newer sonic games so he was upset that the game is more Modern than old (although I will say this The classic modern levels are fucking baddass...DAT G.U.N Truck is some scary ass shit)..it's his opinion.

For me..I've enjoyed a good majority of Sonic games(sans 2006 and 4 really..Heroes was good in some parts....some) this hits all the right buttons.

This is a fanboy game and if you aren't a huge fan (not that huge since some are complaining about the physics..yeah I could care less there but the huge fan who has liked most of the sonic games regardless of some interesting decisions) then you will love the shit out of this game. It's a nostalgia bomb all over your face and for that I love it.

it has it's flaws but they are flaws I am able to overlook due to the fact that I am enjoying myself so damn much.

So fuck the haters(reviews) and have a good time

RobbieNick said:
It's been much better from Colors on. It's not Sonic Heroes anymore.

I will say that I'm still not sold on Sonic's new VA...it's better than the guy from 2006 but what isn't...I'm just glad that you don't need to stab your eardrums out whenever Tails speaks....and the fact that Rouge doesn't sound like a man.

Cream is still pretty bad tho but she is probably one of the worst characters the franchise has introduced.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I dunno. Some of the Japanese voices aren't good, just like some of the English voices (though I like some of the new English voicework as well). I'm itching to try the French dub, but I'll save that for later.

Did anyone try the Sky Sanctuary challenge for Classic Sonic
where it's all at night? The one where you have to use the warps to get around. It's quite breathtaking. :O

Ozone

One problem I had is constantly switching between the two different Sonics. On the 2D sections, I sometimes forget what set of moves I had.

But my biggest problem was mis-timing Classic Sonic's jump. I keep thinking it's like the Genesis games and keep ending up going too short.

Classic Shadow would be a fucking asshole. Not like brooding boring normal Shadow. When Shadow is crying about Maria, Classic Shadow would be using Chaos Control to throw rocks and shit at Sonic for no reason

MNC

Every time I listen to the music I get so fucking hyped. It's unbelievable I haven't been this hyped about a sonic game since SA1. (Lol)

Green Scar said:
Classic Shadow would be a fucking asshole. Not like brooding boring normal Shadow. When Shadow is crying about Maria, Classic Shadow would be using Chaos Control to throw rocks and shit at Sonic for no reason
Ahahahahahaa!! This would be so funny to me. If they make a Classic spinoff, they should include Classic Shadow just being a total asshole to Sonic :lol :lol

And I'm still waiting for an answer if Silver's battle has the magic words.

0 HP

half of the buttons on my controller are broken from playing radiant silvergun and i just died for the first time against
egg dragoon
. i am truly the sonic champion

RobbieNick

ShadiWulf said:
I love this game! Modern Sky Sanctuary was really something. *keeps playing*

Modern Sky Sanctuary is the best modern Sonic level yet and a great example of how a modern Sonic level should be designed.

GooeyHeat

SwiftSketcher said:
And I'm still waiting for an answer if Silver's battle has the magic words.
Nope, all we get is the lamest "Give up!" I've ever heard. And some other clips, but that one stood out.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
We're finally there!

Hope you guys all have a blast. A lot of people at SEGA all worked really hard to finally get to this day, so it's great to hear so many people saying they love it.

And to all of you who were at Sonic Boom... now you know where that voice clip went, too. : )

Happy 20th Anniversary, Sonic!

Ozone

Hey Ruby, tell the guys and gals at SEGA to keep those Classic Sonic assets around. I don't want this to be the last we see of him.

Oh, and since you have all these new songs made for this game, if you guys thought of releasing some on the Rock Band Network to celebrate Sonic's 20th Anniversary, I'd be more than happy to help set that up. Just throwing it out there. ;)

RobbieNick

RubyEclipse said:
We're finally there!

Hope you guys all have a blast. A lot of people at SEGA all worked really hard to finally get to this day, so it's great to hear so many people saying they love it.

And to all of you who were at Sonic Boom... now you know where that voice clip went, too. : )

Thanks for everything Ruby! This game came out better than I could have hoped. Classic and Modern are equally fun and it's the best Modern Sonic yet! Playing with/against sonic's friends instead of as them was a stroke of genius. Also, the Sonic/Shadow boss fight was way more epic than in the original.

Question. What's your favorite remix track?

Anth0ny

RubyEclipse said:
We're finally there!

Had a feeling that was from there when I heard it. Very cool.

The game is great Ruby. Thank you!

Hey Ruby, tell the guys and gals at SEGA to keep those Classic Sonic assets around. I don't want this to be the last we see of him.

This!

Sciz

RubyEclipse said:
There's still room for improvement, but I don't think anyone would've believed you if you'd said five years ago that the franchise could get back to this level. So here's a well-deserved "well done!" for you to pass on.

Now they just have to keep doing it without the benefit of 20 years of nostalgia.

RubyEclipse said:
We're finally there!

I don't have the game yet, so here's a pre-emptive *bow*

Dark Schala said:
Classic Sonic looks taken aback and starts rubbing his belly to see if it's okay.
Ah, this game is great. Lots of fanservice (the good kind!).
Seriously! I can't wait to hear even more references.

I'll have to stop for tonight. Homework + school in the morning forbids it. I'll be rushing home to continue.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sciz said:
This is so good. :D I guess what I like the most about the Hub World is that
everything--the artstyle, the design, the music--is stripped down to nearly its bare essentials. It isn't intrusive, but it's just "there".
It's very nice.

Mmm. I think that's about it for me tonight since I have a little bit of work to do. I guess I'll be playing more of it tomorrow night.

RubyEclipse said:
We're finally there!

Thanks Ruby (and tell the other guys and gals at SEGA who were involved in this "thanks" too). It's better in a lot of places than I expected, especially the soundtrack and the extras players can unlock. I'll say that even though I'm enjoying this game a lot and I'm having fun with it, Sonic games can still use some improvement, however. Despite some of the game's flaws, it really does seem like a lot of thought and effort was put into this to at least try to appeal to everyone. I'm able to look past the flaws because I'm having so much fun with it.

I concur with the people who say to keep Classic Sonic around! His model, animations and interactions with everyone else are so adorable.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Just got home and ready to play. My body is ready.

RobbieNick

Ozone said:

While I love the roly-poly classic Sonic, Modern Sonic needs to stand(run?) on his own two feet. This game (and Colors) shows that he CAN do it.

Question for Rubyeclipse. When I interviewed Iizuka back at E3, he said that the 3DS version was gonna represent the portable history of Sonic. Since we now know that's obviously not the case, does this mean that the 3DS version was so early in development that some of the levels (outside of Green Hill) had not been decided on yet?

The game is a blast. Kudos to everyone at Sega!

Ozone said:
Yeah, it'd really be a waste to not see him again, especially since they pretty much nailed him here.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Sonic 1 is the old US version. No scrolling clouds or spike fix. Also the sound is completely messed up. Bleh.

RobbieNick said:
Modern Sonic needs to stand(run?) on his own two feet. This game (and Colors) shows that he CAN do it.

Or, they can go in a different direction all together. Also, I fail to see how this game shows he can stand on his own when half of the game is dedicated to Classic.

Edit: Let me make myself more clear. First, I did not feel that Colors was the step in the right direction that people say it is. Second, while I haven't played the full version of generations, the demo didn't feel much different from colors. Although, that may change when I do play through it. Third, The main catch for many fans is Classic Sonic, so I'm not sure the fan response will be representative of Modern as well.

A full game with only this Modern Sonic would be great. Though, I must say after playing Unleashed a lot recently before the release, I'm used to the homing attack not being the same button as jump and this sort of fucked my gaming experience up for a bit.

I mean when I played Modern Chemical Plant, my mind was blown.

Modern Sky Sanctuary too. Well, that's where I left off.

RobbieNick

TheCongressman1 said:
Or, they can go in a different direction all together. Also, I fail to see how this game shows he can stand on his own when half of the game is dedicated to Classic.

Edit: Let me make myself more clear. First, I did not feel that Colors was the step in the right direction that people say it is. Second, while I haven't played the full version of generations, the demo didn't feel much different from colors. That may change when I do play through it.

Yes, but this game proves that modern is equally as fun as classic. I do love classic's design more.

GooeyHeat said:
Nope, all we get is the lamest "Give up!" I've ever heard. And some other clips, but that one stood out.
I'm genuinely disappointed :(
I at least hope for the Shadow battle to have the same clumsy lines stepping over eachother.

i'll use y-CHAOS CONTROLLLLL

not really

yes really

CoryCubed

Gotten all the Emeralds and beat the game, finding Red Rings/Challenges/Achievements/Time Trials now, still unlocking classic stuff and it's blowing my mind (I'd say I've unlocked 70% so far). This game turned me into a crying, quivering mess with it's awesomeness.

Love the prize for all the Red Rings for Classic Sonic in Sky Sanctuary,
Why wasn't this in Sonic 4, the Sonic 3 Insta-Shield

0 HP

the twist before the final boss is so great

dr eggman from the past

please just keep the classic assets and make offshoot games with that. this game only solidifies how lame the modern shit is compared to classic

Top Bottom