• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Teknoman

Acceleration and movement is closer to Sonic Adventure 1, which was really great for 3D Sonic movements.

As for the cutscenes, I guess you werent a fan of Colors scenes. The skills dont really do anything but help people that either arent that great at the game, giving you that extra edge. They arent really necessary, but they dont really hurt the game for being there since they arent really mandatory for good controls like Secret Rings.

At least I havent seen anything yet...but i'm not trying to put too much time in since im still waiting for PC version to unlock.

RobbieNick

Here's a weird thing someone found. Go to the collection room and hold select for a few seconds. You fall through a hole to a statue room. You have to have a password to see any of the statues. Hmmmmm...

The game is amazing! Its such a love letter to the fans. To see Genesis levels redone in such beauty is a dream come true. it proves that all modern Sonic games should keep that fantasy aesthetic of the originals.

The game does seem easier than most modern Sonic games. I hate that they removed the scoring system of modern sonic. Classic Sonic is fun as hell but the levels just aren't Genesis quality. I am loving a lot of the challenges though, it feels like Sonic colors.

Teknoman

Mihael Mello Keehl said:
guess cause I didnt preorder i dont get the supersonic avatar costume on my reciept :( sad face.. I wanted one! beat the game and loved all of it.

Snagged all the red rings and and S ranked everything yet?

RobbieNick said:
Here's a weird thing someone found. Go to the collection room and hold select for a few seconds. You fall through a hole to a statue room. You have to have a password to see any of the statues. Hmmmmm...

Strange...gotta try this.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
RobbieNick said:
Aha, so that's what the Japanese site was referring to in its Collection Room portion. Hm.

さらに、このコレクションルームには、パスワードでのみ出現する秘密のコレクションも・・・!?
パスワードは近日公開しますのでお楽しみに!
I was thinking that it was exclusive to the JP version/site or something.

Blueblur1

Teknoman said:
Acceleration and movement is closer to Sonic Adventure 1, which was really great for 3D Sonic movements.

As for the cutscenes, I guess you werent a fan of Colors scenes. The skills dont really do anything but help people that either arent that great at the game, giving you that extra edge. They arent really necessary, but they dont really hurt the game for being there since they arent really mandatory for good controls like Secret Rings.

At least I havent seen anything yet...but i'm not trying to put too much time in since im still waiting for PC version to unlock.
I disagree about the acceleration and movement. It feels exactly the same as Sonic Unleashed with the exception that the drift move is no longer unwieldy.

And the cutscenes are much less entertaining and endearing this time around. There isn't much to the writing after all.

RobbieNick

Mihael Mello Keehl said:
guess cause I didnt preorder i dont get the supersonic avatar costume on my reciept :( sad face.. I wanted one! beat the game and loved all of it.

If you beat all the bosses on hard, you get parts to an Eggman costume.

Yuripaw

Banned
Dont know if this has been mentioned or not, but it looks like the steam version has changed to a day early. It was saying November 4 for a long time, but now it says November 3. That makes me happy cuz I hate having to wait to play this game.

I just hope the PC version is solid. I just realized there's gonna be DLC for this game also, and I hope the PC version gets the DLC...

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Finished the game in about 4 hours. Was pretty easy. I didn't even die on the final boss.

I honestly don't know how I feel about it. It's a nice nostalgia-fest and many of the levels are excellently designed, but I've just been lukewarm towards it the whole time. I guess it didn't help that I've been replaying 1-3&K and the Sonic Adventure games lately. "Classic" Sonic aside, and despite the well made, gorgeous and mostly bug-free levels, I still feel like SA1 and 2 were more enjoyable from a pure gameplay perspective. Controlling Sonic from a standstill is still way too touchy. It's seems a bit better than it has been for a while, but not at all close to the smooth responsiveness the first Adventure had.

I need a bit more time to digest the whole thing, but honestly I don't see myself replaying this much, not the way I've revisited the originals (even to a lesser extent SA) countless times over the last 20 years. And maybe I'm just a cynical bastard, but all the self-referential humor and "wit" kind of grated on me.

Blueblur1

luka said:
Finished the game in about 4 hours. Was pretty easy. I didn't even die on the final boss.

I honestly don't know how I feel about it. It's a nice nostalgia-fest and many of the levels are excellently designed, but I've just been lukewarm towards it the whole time. I guess it didn't help that I've been replaying 1-3&K and the Sonic Adventure games lately. "Classic" Sonic aside, and despite the well made, gorgeous and mostly bug-free levels, I still feel like SA1 and 2 were more enjoyable from a pure gameplay perspective. Controlling Sonic from a standstill is still way too touchy. It's seems a bit better than it has been for a while, but not at all close to the smooth responsiveness the first Adventure had.

I need a bit more time to digest the whole thing, but honestly I don't see myself replaying this much, not the way I've revisited the originals (even to a lesser extent SA) countless times over the last 20 years. And maybe I'm just a cynical bastard, but all the self-referential humor and "wit" kind of grated on me.
I feel about the same as you do. I'm honestly disappointed with the game and that sucks. :/

luka

Loves Robotech S1
My advice to Sonic Team: SLOW THE FUCK DOWN. Insane speed just isn't impressive anymore, and it's not worth losing the all important precision control and feel of exploration that Sonic needs.

Go back and take a long hard look at Sonic Adventure. Think about how you can expand and improve on that design without just resorting to "make it faster!"

Teknoman

Yuripaw said:
Dont know if this has been mentioned or not, but it looks like the steam version has changed to a day early. It was saying November 4 for a long time, but now it says November 3. That makes me happy cuz I hate having to wait to play this game.

I just hope the PC version is solid. I just realized there's gonna be DLC for this game also, and I hope the PC version gets the DLC...

Even if we dont get the DLC, the PC version mods and created stages/adjustments will more than pay off in the long run...if its a good port that is.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
luka said:
My advice to Sonic Team: SLOW THE FUCK DOWN. Insane speed just isn't impressive anymore, and it's not worth losing the all important precision control and feel of exploration that Sonic needs.

Go back and take a long hard look at Sonic Adventure. Think about how you can expand and improve on that design without just resorting to "make it faster!"

Sonic + Exploration = doo doo

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
TheCongressman1 said:
I don't know if you're serious, but for the record, this is most definitely not true.

All Sonic needs is a good level select menu, not talking to NPCs and going on inane quests.

Andrex said:
All Sonic needs is a good level select menu, not talking to NPCs and going on inane quests.

Haha, who said exploring is about talking to NPCs or quests? Just make the areas bigger and offer more paths. Tada, exploration.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
TheCongressman1 said:
Haha, who said exploring is about talking to NPCs or quests? Just make the areas bigger and offer more paths. Tada, exploration.

Alternate paths would have been a better term. :p

Exploration I associate with poopy hub worlds.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Andrex said:
Guess what you never had to do in Sonic Adventure! The adventure field was just a fun way to connect the levels, really. SA was FAR from perfect, but it had the right idea and it was fun where it mattered. I enjoyed the field honestly, just having these big open spaces to run around in was a neat way to pace the game.

Despite that, it's not exactly what I mean by exploration. That probably wasn't even the right word to use. I guess it's more about the lack of rails, really. Levels should be expansive. Like, wide. Look at any map from S3K, they're enormous and sprawl out in all directions. Make use the 3rd dimension, don't just have me fly along in one direction.

EDIT: That's less of a fault in Generations as the levels can be quite large with several paths, its just that the insane speed and somewhat unresponsive control kind of makes it feel rather short and confined to me.

Ozone

Hell yes, just unlocked
the original version of "Super Sonic Racing". I thought only that weird remix was in the game.

Andrex said:
Alternate paths would have been a better term. :p

Exploration I associate with poopy hub worlds.

But, but... Why would you think I want talking to crappy NPCs instead of more opportunity for gameplay?

If there is one thing I hate about Generations so far, it's the fact that almost every area I want to go is blocked off by an invisible wall. Opening up the level would not only provide more replay value, but would also provide much more strategy in speed runs.

RobbieNick

Finished the main game. I gotta say, it's a great game, but I think I enjoyed Colors a little more. It's just....even though there's a lot of side challenges and collecting to do The meat of the game went by so quickly. Even without all the side stuff Colors was twice as long. Yea, the modern gameplay's a little better, but Colors just oozed so much with originality. Also, IMO it was better written.

I did like
the ending after the credits with both Eggmans trapped in time and Robotnik realizing his future self never beat Sonic. "Well this is discouraging". XD Now he want's to go back and get his teaching degree. "Yes! I did always enjoy telling people what to do!" LOL Wonder what this means in the inevitable sequel.

Speaking of sequels, this sure tied well into Colors, but why ditch Orbot and Cubot in space? I liked those guys! Its' always fun to have Eggman play off to someone else. Also, was the time eater possibly a form of wisp? It looked similar to the void one.

Also, WHAT THE HELL WERE SHADOW AND SILVER DOING THERE CHEERING SONIC ON?! Shadow was just fighting him not long ago and Silver stuck around the party afterwards?! Is he now in Sonic's time due to the whole time thing?! What gives?!

Ozone

Hey guys, go into the Collection Room all the way to the left of the hub world and hold the back/select button for 5 seconds.

EDIT: Oh shit, they finally gave me Member status on here.

EDIT2: Yay for not reading and seeing this was pointed out.

AniHawk

classic sonic stuff is really great. modern sonic is a lot of fun too. game is shockingly cluttered and short after colors though. the exploration is there, but the 18 levels compared to colors' 50+ is kinda disappointing. i also prefer the way colors went about its hub world. i find the interactive ones to be pretty annoying when all you do is get to the fun parts of the game. it took a weird step back into sonic and the secret rings territory where you had to complete a number of objective-based levels before being able to continue with the game.

Anth0ny

AniHawk said:
classic sonic stuff is really great. modern sonic is a lot of fun too. game is shockingly cluttered and short after colors though. the exploration is there, but the 18 levels compared to colors' 50+ is kinda disappointing. i also prefer the way colors went about its hub world. i find the interactive ones to be pretty annoying when all you do is get to the fun parts of the game. it took a weird step back into sonic and the secret rings territory where you had to complete a number of objective-based levels before being able to continue with the game.

I agree with this. Although the presentation is great (music and the look in general), I think I would have preferred a Colors style hub world.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, some of the levels went on for pretty damn long. If they wanted to, they probably could have chopped them into 2 or even 3 acts, especially if you go by Colors standards (some stages in Colors were, like, 40 seconds long).

branny

I never had too much affection for older Sonic games. I probably liked Sonic 3 & Knuckles the most out of them, with Sonic 2 trailing behind. But they had issues that always got on my nerves. After playing Colors, I'm convinced Colors was made with what I love about Sonic games: multiple paths and mechanics that are flexible enough to reward exploration, experimentation, and skillful execution, not just simply encourage them. There's also very little bottlenecking by stage elements/enemies found in earlier Sonic games. Add in decent momentum, acceleration, level design, and a pinch of freedom, and you've got yourself a ton of fun. I really like Generations and I plan to spend a lot more time with it, but Colors will probably remain my favorite game in the series.

Beyond the classics, modern games are obviously filled with filler, but I maintain that the Sonic/Shadow stages in SA1/SA2 were either almost completely auto-pilot and overly reliant on stage elements (and homing) or filled with a lot of empty space (that must be navigated with an unwieldy camera) with the only purpose of making your destination unclear (which I guess eventually serves little point after you figured out a critical path for every subsequent run). In any case, I'd say the modern Sonic game stage representation in Generations is pretty faithful. Watching SA1's Speed Highway shows that things are pretty much the same; there's more 2d platforming in Generations, and a few awkward sections (like the tunnel) are either removed or turned into something less fiddly.

As for how Modern Sonic controls, it seems fine to me. Maybe it just takes some getting used to? As with other games in the series, it seems like you'll only really encounter problems when you're screwing up. Or if you're trying to rely on the homing targeting too much, like in
that musical note reflecting challenge with Vector.

I think it's probably the 2d parts with Modern Sonic that are throwing Adventure fans off. Generations is similar to Colors but without all the wisps. There's still enough wiggle room to try lots of different approaches and to execute them to varying degrees of success. If anything I'd complain that the most densely designed stages in Generations (the main story acts) can sometimes be filled with too much or take too long to complete, bloating them a bit.

Knux-Future said:
Why would Sega use the worst wisp for this game..

fuck spikes man.
I love spikes, but I think they had more acceleration in Colors. Also, the Eggman panels ruin all their fun in this game. :(

Anth0ny said:
I agree with this. Although the presentation is great (music and the look in general), I think I would have preferred a Colors style hub world.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, some of the levels went on for pretty damn long. If they wanted to, they probably could have chopped them into 2 or even 3 acts, especially if you go by Colors standards (some stages in Colors were, like, 40 seconds long).

Oh geez, 40 second long levels? That's awful. Why in the world is that better?

Why not put everything into one package, in such a way that the player has to find all the once short segmented levels? Say that 40 second segment is at the highest point in our new level. I'm going to get much more enjoyment out of playing through it because I worked for it, rather than selecting it from a hub. Not only that, but this way you aren't taken out of the action.

In other words: Think Sonic 3, but bigger.

AniHawk

Anth0ny said:

i actually liked colors having two long acts and several short acts per zone. generations would probably have benefited from the same structure.

Einbroch

Banned
Having never played a 2D Sonic game and not playing a 3D Sonic game since Adventure I can confidently say that I am thoroughly enjoying this game.

Sciz

TheCongressman1 said:
Oh geez, 40 second long levels? That's awful. Why in the world is that better?

Why not put everything into one package, in such a way that the player has to find all the once short segmented levels? Say that 40 second segment is at the highest point in our new level. I'm going to get much more enjoyment out of playing through it because I worked for it, rather than selecting it from a hub.
Colors' micro-levels all revolved around one very specific gimmick and wouldn't mesh with a larger level well at all. They also tended to be the most obnoxious about being constructed entirely of prefab parts. Interesting little design experiments, but they're better off isolated in their own levels if they exist again at all.

Teknoman said:
So has Ruby mentioned any thing about the PC version?
I doubt he's had much of anything to do with it.

ShadiWulf

To people complaining about Generations lacking content, have you tried the extra acts, which are referred to as missions? They aren't really missions, they are new acts, and some have completely different level layouts, and neat little changes.

That's where you are going to find a lot of unique gameplay, not saying that all of the extra acts are that way, but there is a good chunk of them. Very similar to the acts that Colors required you go through, and a lot of the ones in Generations are better, IMO.

branny

The variety found in all the challenges is welcome, but a lot of them seem hit-or-miss so far. I think I probably would've enjoyed just having a crapload of differently-designed regular levels like in Colors instead of some of these really gimmicky ones that I don't really see myself replaying.

Actually, I think most of the ones that I dislike so far involve Sonic's friends. Go figure.

Final Boss battle spoiler:
My thumb really sore now so I'm not going to retry it anytime soon, but I still am not sure what I was supposed to do. Switching characters wasn't as obvious as in 2006's fight. The 2d to 3d idea seemed nice but I have no clue what it did. Using Classic Sonic was to bait the boss into doing the hand clap, right? Anyway, to be fair, I don't really think anything can top the one in Colors, though. That fight was really, really good.

I'm not sure why on ranking attack, even though I just got a better time on my Green Hill Zone run, it refuses to update my time or acknowledge I did it.

I've backed out several times and let the game load but I'm still stuck with my very first time.....lame.

DeVeAn

Overall I feel this is one of the best Sonic games in a long line of off shoots. The framerate needs to be 60. The game is fast and hard to see until you memorize the levels.

I really enjoyed the story. Simple Saturday cartoon vibe like colors.

Zooming out for classic Sonic sucks as I just can't see his awesome detail. There is something about the adventure series I miss. I hope we can see a new sonic that will go back to it. Also people need to stop telling sonic team how to make a game. I feel we come to the point where you don't like what is given don't play the damn games anymore.

Sciz said:
Colors' micro-levels all revolved around one very specific gimmick and wouldn't mesh with a larger level well at all. They also tended to be the most obnoxious about being constructed entirely of prefab parts. Interesting little design experiments, but they're better off isolated in their own levels if they exist again at all.

I can understand why they did that for Colors, but I didn't appreciate all the different gimmicks. Without them, my idea would work fine.

Top Bottom