• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

qq more

RagnarokX said:
Songs aren't limited by level. You want to change a boss theme to Palmtree Panic? You go right ahead.
OMFG REALLY?!

Oh man, this is gonna be fun messing with songs now. Can you change Mission Act music? No big deal if no.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Green Scar said:
Ruby needs to use drift. Shit is so useful.
Shhh! Don't give away all the secrets just yet... ; )

I changed the music in the
Metal Sonic rival battle
to Sonic Boom. It was epic.

Did the same when we were first messing with the new song options. Makes that fight 100x cooler.

SomeDude said:
Is there a good sonic 3d game?

61cPHwRKZ8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
51yKoCThxwL._AA300_.jpg
51rGiUXZvAL._AA300_.jpg

Take your pick.

still on the fence with this one.

on one hand: i love the classic sonic stages. there are some niggling issues with sonic not having the proper weight, jump, momentum, etc. as classic sonic should, but it's at least close. i also don't like how zoomed in the fov is, but it's not a deal breaker.

but on the other hand: i absolutely hate the modern sonic stages. i felt like i was just pushing the forward button and hitting jump and boost randomly. definitely just an on-rails experience and it really bummed me out that it wasn't better than i expected based on previous modern sonic games i've played. the only thing i enjoyed was how quickly the level kind of "streamed" when you would go really fast, but still not worth playing, much less paying for. :\

i really just wish the entire game was classic sonic levels. sonic 4 is unbearable, like sega not only got my order wrong but spit on the burger too. classic sonic levels in generations is like the manager coming up to me and making things right. sigh.

Teknoman

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
still on the fence with this one.

on one hand: i love the classic sonic stages. there are some niggling issues with sonic not having the proper weight, jump, momentum, etc. as classic sonic should, but it's at least close. i also don't like how zoomed in the fov is, but it's not a deal breaker.

but on the other hand: i absolutely hate the modern sonic stages. i felt like i was just pushing the forward button and hitting jump and boost randomly. definitely just an on-rails experience and it really bummed me out that it wasn't better than i expected based on previous modern sonic games i've played. the only thing i enjoyed was how quickly the level kind of "streamed" when you would go really fast, but still not worth playing, much less paying for. :\

i really just wish the entire game was classic sonic levels. sonic 4 is unbearable, like sega not only got my order wrong but spit on the burger too. classic sonic levels in generations is like the manager coming up to me and making things right. sigh.

The modern stages post Green Hill arent just going forward and using boost occasionally. Honestly Chemical Plant and Sky Sanctuary actively discourage you from doing so, and have a decent amount of split paths that eventually meet up, but take longer to do so than Green Hill. Slow down and platform sections too (Sky Sanctuary anyway).

Man the wait for the PC version...or more specifically whether the PC version runs great on my PC is killing me. I dont want to go too far in the 360 version (still have it checked out) since it'll feel like i'm progressing for nothing.

I hope if they do DLC levels they pick levels from game not represented. So Sonic 3 (on its own), Sonic CD, Sonic Game Gear games, Sonic Rush series, Sonic Advance Series and (lol) Shadow the Hedgehog could all be ripe for levels for DLC.

J@hranimo

Banned
My idea for DLC levels should only be from the Genesis Era. Sonic 3 and Sonic CD NEED to be represented better.

Meanwhile I'm trying to get all the unlockables. Too much fun doing most of these missions!

J@hranimo said:
My idea for DLC levels should only be from the Genesis Era. Sonic 3 and Sonic CD NEED to be represented better.

Meanwhile I'm trying to get all the unlockables. Too much fun doing most of these missions!

yeah if a bunch of old school classic levels come out and the game gets a hefty price drop i would consider dealing with modern sonic just so i could enjoy classic.

speaking of classic sonic, im trying to get ahold of one of those Dingoo A320 handhelds so i can relive the good ole days. :p

Teknoman

I dunno if they'll actually do too many dlc stages to represent other games, especially since they'll probably want to do something like this way down the line.

Then again, it would be a true money maker at present.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Didn't Unleashed have an insane amount of DLC? What did Sega offer there?(Never played it)

J@hranimo

Banned
Brandon F said:
Didn't Unleashed have an insane amount of DLC? What did Sega offer there?(Never played it)

I remember it being like extra acts to the existing levels. I think some were hard mode versions too.

I'm not expecting like 2-3 zones per game, that would take a while for Sega/Sonic Team to churn out. 1 from Sonic 3 and Sonic CD, Act 1 and Act 2. Bam! I'd be a happy camper.

0 HP

Teknoman said:
sonic_generations_banner_by_casval_lem_daikun-d3ev1ub.png

and Colors

SonicColours--article_image.jpg
this is really all that should be brought up when talking about good 3D sonic games (in 2011). you guys have way too much of a hard on for sonic if you recommending sa2/unleashed to people who aren't even fans to begin with.

Berordn

J@hranimo said:
I remember it being like extra acts to the existing levels. I think some were hard mode versions too.

I'm not expecting like 2-3 zones per game, that would take a while for Sega/Sonic Team to churn out. 1 from Sonic 3 and Sonic CD, Act 1 and Act 2. Bam! I'd be a happy camper.
Nothing from the Unleashed DLC contained any new assets though (same with '06 for what it's worth), and most of the level layouts were in the game, just unused in the levels included with it.. The best we can probably hope for would be Stardust Speedway and Final Rush/Chase just because most of the work's already done.

Still, as long as we're dreaming I expect Ice Cap and Music Plant.

Teknoman

J@hranimo said:

I'd like at least one expansion for each main series title. Maybe one zone from each game in 3 packs. Classic pack, Dreamcast era pack, and current pack.

If not, then at least if the PC version is good, then the mod community might put in the work. No tell how long that'll take though/if its even possible.

0 HP said:
this is really all that should be brought up when talking about good 3D sonic games (in 2011). you guys have way too much of a hard on for sonic if you recommending sa2/unleashed to people who aren't even fans to begin with.

If I don't think they are the best ones, why would I recommend them? That is very illogical.

Ideally, I would recommend Sonic 1-3, but the question was about 3D, so I'd say the Adventures and probably Generations.

JonCha

Realise that Green Hill is basically a tutorial! The later stages are not on-rails and are platform-heavy. Boost like a noob and you will be punished.

Just buy the game already and prepare to be wowed. Sadly, I think you'll continue to hate.

And two days to go for UK folk. :(

WillyFive

0 HP said:

Sonic Adventure 2 is actually a great beginner Sonic.

Although it might make them a Sonic fan of the kind you guys may not want around here.

TheCongressman1 said:
If I don't think they are the best ones, why would I recommend them? That is very illogical.

Ideally, I would recommend Sonic 1-3, but the question was about 3D, so I'd say the Adventures and probably Generations.

Recommending the Adventures games strikes me as a mad idea. I respect your fond memories, but back then the controls and camera were questionable. Today they are way too fucking stiff and annoying.

I mastered the controls of Superman 64 when I was younger. I could probably handle them just fine if I was playing it today. Doesn't mean I would recommend this fucking piece of garbage to anybody because I can hold my own with it.

Of course I am not saying that the Adventures are in the same league as superman 64. Fuck no. I'm merely saying that the Adventures have many problems whether you perceive them or not. Recommending such a game is questionable when you are aware that the flaws will most certainly not be accepted by the general audience because of today's standard.

If someone that never played any 3D Sonic asked me which is/are the best, I would say Colors and Generations. If he already played those and wants more, only then would I suggest the Adventures and Unleashed.

Of course this is just my opinion. I certainly don't want to imply that I am right and you are wrong.

Willy105 said:

Although it might make them a Sonic fan of the kind you guys may not want around here.
Sonic Adventure 2 is tainted by treasure hunting and lock-on shooting that take up more gameplay hours than the actual Sonic/Shadow gameplay

which disqualifies SA2 as a good Sonic game

Eurogamer have given it a 7, same as Gamecentral.

Seems to be the prevailing sense from the reviewers I respect, will be interesting to see what edge make of it. Certainly is sounding like a worthy budget purchase.

gutter_trash said:
Sonic Adventure 2 is tainted by treasure hunting and lock-on shooting that take up more gameplay hours than the actual Sonic/Shadow gameplay

which disqualifies SA2 as a good Sonic game

I agree with this. Way too many fucking boring gimmicks. I hated having to endure this shit to get to the good stuff once in a while.

papersleeves said:
I agree with this. Way too many fucking boring gimmicks. I hated having to endure this shit to get to the good stuff once in a while.
+take three stop watches and set each stop watch for Sonic/Shadow, Treasure Hunting and Lock-On Shooting

you will notice that you spend way way way less time as Sonic/Shadow compared to the monstrous time Treasure Hunting takes up on the clock

0 HP

TheCongressman1 said:

i don't see how what i said is illogical. just because you like it, doesn't mean 80% of the gaming community will. plus sonic fans in particular are heavily biased towards their franchise. i really can't see how anybody who isn't a fan of sonic is going to get through, much less enjoy, sa2 (forces treasure hunting for every sonic stage) and unleashed (forces werehog). recommending those games seems like a dick move.

if you used these loose standards with any other series, you be recommending every single game in the franchise.

Willy105 said:

You're joking right? The sonic/shadow stages weren't bad in SA2 but the other 70% of the game was utter shit of lock on walking and the even worse treasure hunting. That game was fucking painful to play.

0 HP said:
i don't see how what i said is illogical. just because you like it, doesn't mean 80% of the gaming community will. plus sonic fans in particular are heavily biased towards their franchise. i really can't see how anybody who isn't a fan of sonic is going to get through, much less enjoy, sa2 (forces treasure hunting for every sonic stage) and unleashed (forces werehog). recommending those games seems like a dick move.

if you used these loose standards with any other series, you be recommending every single game in the franchise.

Pretty much. There was too much terrible crap that wasn't even the same kind of gameplay you had to get through to play the decent parts of it. If there was some way to skip the shitty parts you'd have a point but forcing people through some of that is just a terrible suggestion.

Teknoman

JonCha said:
Realise that Green Hill is basically a tutorial! The later stages are not on-rails and are platform-heavy. Boost like a noob and you will be punished.

Needs to be restated.

Also Aqua Shield was actually kinda fun.

I've had the chance to play through the first two acts of the first two stages and I really like the way the game plays. The music is good, the game looks good, and dare I say even the controls are pretty good.

RagnarokX

Teknoman said:
Needs to be restated.

Also Aqua Shield was actually kinda fun.
Heh, wait until you see the mission that combines all 3.

Still, I'm disappointed that the elemental shields aren't in normal levels. Being a skill is kinda meh.

Teknoman

Statue Room theme should've been Hidden Palace.

RagnarokX said:
Heh, wait until you see the mission that combines all 3.

Still, I'm disappointed that the elemental shields aren't in normal levels. Being a skill is kinda meh.

Electric and fire are in too? Also some of these Red Rings are hard to find.

RobbieNick

Sonic's so-called "Shitty" freinds are actuall pretty awesome in this game. When your not playing games with them, they give you tips on each level and even tell you where hard-to-find red star rings are.

Regulus Tera said:
Chao telling you how to avoid the boss attacks? NOT. COOL.

Developers seriously need to stop doing that shit. FUCK.

Turn him off then. He's just there for the kiddies.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Regulus Tera said:
Chao telling you how to avoid the boss attacks? NOT. COOL.

Developers seriously need to stop doing that shit. FUCK.
You can turn it off in the settings. We've got you covered. : )

Top Bottom