• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

TheOGB

Banned
It should be mentioned, those are the achievements, so if you don't want to be spoiled...

But uhh yeah, why exactly isn't this game preloading

And why did they have it under Sonic Generations Preorder instead of just Sonic Generations anyway

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
TheOGB said:
Well starting off difficult without skills is preferrable to "rough and tedious at first", which I consider to be two different things.

You can start a game relatively powerless and not have getting stronger/better feel like a chore.

EDIT: WHAT THE FUCK, are people playing this already?!

People are playing it because the developers are testing it. The stats will probably get reset on launch day.

qq more

What the hell, people already beat the final boss in the PC version? It's actually out? Wtf?

EDIT: Oh, that makes sense.

Anyways, time to compile the music list!

TheOGB

Banned
morningbus said:
People are playing it because the developers are testing it. The stats will probably get reset on launch day.
Ah, makes sense. Crisis averted.

Oh god yes, I'm off tomorrow. Can't wait :D

iavi

I am not liking the 'call Sonic's friends for help' challenges, they feel like straight game padding. Every other challenge though is a whole lot of fun, so it balances out, I guess, lol.

Teknoman

Wow I got lost in Speed Highway Classic lol. Definitely going to have to go back and take my time through some of these. Background paths and all.

Nert

Are there any absurd speed runs of the non-Green Hill Zone levels out there yet? Watching some of the Modern Sonic speed runs from the demo a few weeks back was pretty fun.

0 HP

AbsoluteZero said:
The Wii/PS2 version of Unleashed vs the 360/PS3 version of Unleashed is like comparing Super Mario Land to Super Mario Galaxy.

A lot of games start out difficult but as you gain strength and abilities the game becomes easier to play. It's a fairly common design choice.
i don't think we'll see eye to eye on this. im a huge sonic fan, but if it weren't for colors and generations, i think i'd be done with sonic forever after unleashed. it was almost stupid to the point of being offensive. i don't see how it could possibly resonate with anyone outside of the sonic fanbase tbh.

0 HP said:
i don't think we'll see eye to eye on this. im a huge sonic fan, but if it weren't for colors and generations, i think i'd be done with sonic forever after unleashed. it was almost stupid to the point of being offensive. i don't see how it could possibly resonate with anyone outside of the sonic fanbase tbh.

But what's funny is that I don't really consider myself part of the "Sonic Fanbase".

I was when I was younger, in the heydey of the Genesis, but these days it's strictly a game franchise to me.

Mario on the other hand.

TheOGB

Banned
DeathnoteBig.jpg

0 HP

AbsoluteZero said:
But what's funny is that I don't really consider myself part of the "Sonic Fanbase".

I was when I was younger, in the heydey of the Genesis, but these days it's strictly a game franchise to me.

Mario on the other hand.
i might be the same way. i don't think i got the same enjoyment out of colors and generations that everyone else did, but i'll (probably) always play a new sonic game when it comes out. at its core, i think the whole idea of sonic from a gameplay perspective is pretty brilliant, its annoying the franchise doesn't have the same level of talent around it as it did back in the early 90's.

Tizoc

Platy said:
Love how one of the less gotten achivements is the one that you talk to every friend xD
I've made sure to talk to every one of them =3
Just restored Cream, she's so adorable, love her Advance 2 animations.

BTW, how can I contact SEGA about this error/glitch some PS3 owners keep getting during online mode?

Teknoman

RobbieNick said:
No wait, THAT's the song I want!! The bonus stage music from Sonic Jam Saturn! Is it in the game?! Also, where?!! I love that song.

Also, there's a serious lack of Sonic Rush music. Me am dissapoint.

I really hope so. They've got a title screen remix, but dunno what else.

qq more

Also it looks like I might be wrong about
Sonic Rush music
to be found anywhere. Must of have got mixed up with Brawl.

Song list is almost done (it was actually really easy). There might be some minor errors and some songs might be excluded because I honestly don't know where they came from. I'll PM it to you soon, RobbieNick.

EDIT: Someone claims there's
Right There, Right On
on GameFAQs. I hope so because I could of have sworn it was there...

EDIT2: Nevermind found it. It was in a random spot I've overlooked.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Lord-Audie said:
Just came here to say...

I now know who all of you are...

And you have been listed on an special list...

Do you want to borrow my list of people who bought Battlefield 3?

It'll save you some time.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Is there another
Shadow
fight or something? Because I just destroyed him, and I guess people were having issues with him?

Gagaman

Just saw this on Tumblr and thought I'd share.

20956h3.png

Didn't know the game had a 3 player mode though. :p

Ended up changing my order with Amazon from super saver to first class so the estimate dropped from 6th-9th to the 5th. Cannot bloody wait.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
What do you guys say the worst sonic song ever is? Not counting the bioware shit I would have to say... All Hail Shadow... omg it's just so... it sounds like a shitty fanfic but the song version of that.

qq more

Sonic 4's Final Boss is up there as one of the worst Sonic songs I've ever heard. God, how can you accept such a short song like that?! Not exactly the #1 worst, but it deserves a mention.

QisTopTier said:
What do you guys say the worst sonic song ever is? Not counting the bioware shit I would have to say... All Hail Shadow... omg it's just so... it sounds like a shitty fanfic but the song version of that.

YOU SHUT YOUR GOD DAMN ASSHOLE MOUTH. ASSHOLE.

ASS.

Worst song is Sonic Heroes theme.

TheOGB

Banned
If Sonic 4 also doesn't count then I'd say What I'm Made Of. Weakest main vocal track IMO, and that's saying something.

Otherwise any other Heroes vocal song that isn't Team Chaotix or This Machine, although they are both low-tier.

Pietepiet

QisTopTier said:

Most of the vocal tracks since SA2 have been trying way too hard to be "hardcore". Everything in Shadow the Hedgehog and His World are the prime examples of this.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Dude the sonic heroes theme reminds me of some old tv show theme, but I can't just place what it was. It latterly sounds like a rip off of it

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Anyone else depressed that classic Sonic stages review well and modern stages don't, but sega being sega will just continue to make Modern Sonic games? This game will be like a treasure in a couple years. That one time Sonic was fun again.

zoner said:
Anyone else depressed that classic Sonic stages review well and modern stages don't, but sega being sega will just continue to make Modern Sonic games? This game will be like a treasure in a couple years. That one time Sonic was fun again.
pretty much

RobbieNick

qq more said:
PMed you the list, RobbieNick.

Thanks man! Updated the OP with the list in spoilers.

zoner said:

Some reviewers were claiming to enjoy the modern stages more. Frankly, I'm enjoying it about 50/50. There are some stages where classic Sonic is better (Crisis City, City Escape, Rooftop Run), some where Modern is (Chemical Plant, Seaside Hill, Speed Highway) and some that are equal (Sky Sanctuary).

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
zoner said:
Not true at all, half the reviews love the modern stuff more, the other half like classic more. Honestly to me as fun as the classic stages are they just don't compare to the modern stuff. I'm not against playing the older games again for that type of gameplay, give me new shit when it works and the way they got modern sonic WORKS. It shows off Sonic being Sonic.

It would be like me bitching that there hasn't been another Mario 3 since Mario 3.

SimonM7

I've spent a few hours with this, so this isn't necessarily my "final" impressions.

I didn't really go into this with any delusions that it'd top Colours, but I did at least expect Sonic's basic moveset to carry over. It's pretty distressing to find that underwater controls are reset back to being pre-Colours limited, and that wall jumps are no more, removing a big part of the freeform platforming that made Colours so lovely. Levels being more shallow again was to be expected now that the powers are gone with no quirks to replace them, but there are elements of levels where I expect to be able to move more dynamically, and simply can't with this moveset. That's a bummer, and I hope "Dimensions" rectifies this.

I'm surprised by how alright I find the classic Sonic bits though. After the demo's eye bustingly weird camera pans and wrestling with even his basic movement, the levels are generally built so you don't necessarily have to fixate your eyes on what's coming up. When you do, it's usually slowed down to a pace where it's more comfortable to look at, too. It doesn't feel exactly like the old Sonics, but as far as I'm concerned that's mostly a problem unless it's still fun. I think it's pretty fun. It certainly puts the now downright abysmal Sonic 4 into even less flattering perspective. I hope ep 2 learns like mad from this, or it might aswell be a flash animation of people blasting that thing with fire extinguishers.

Generations is jarring though, and neither game invites the other. Pressing that "Y" button (or triangle I guess) to switch Sonics always feels oddly difficult to me. When you find yourself in the classic Sonic groove, smoothly running through loops and bouncing on things at a methodical, pleasant pace through strangely intimate locales it's hard to feel the desire to go twitch reflex/split second decision/boost melting your face off with the modern stuff, and likewise it's hard to feel compelled to slow your heart rate after an exhilarating zooming through 3D landscapes with your avatar responding to your every flashy whim. Like many pre-colours Sonic games It's ultimately halves of two different games slapped together, and that notion is difficult to escape. In a way Sonic has become his own shitty friend.

qq more

RobbieNick said:
Thanks man! Updated the OP with the list in spoilers.
Btw, not all of the songs listed are unlockable songs because I've also included minor songs such as Options and Game Over (as a way to point out the source of the songs). The list also includes obvious choices such as the in-game default songs such as City Escape Classic/Modern Remixes. Might wanna note that before people gets confused.

Sonic Heroes isn't even the worst song on it's own soundtrack.

That would be We Can...or whatever the fuck SonicTeam's theme was. Just look up the lyrics for that.

Just yeah....

Zomba13

TheOGB said:
http://www.myimportstore.com/store/images/Anime/DeathnoteBig.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
My friend got me one of those for my birthday once. She was a huge fan and got me into it. Really cool how there were pages and pages of rules.

Also, regarding songs I don't think I have a least favourite Sonic song. Maybe a shitty song from Shadow or something. I love all the cheesy pop/buttrock in the games. It's like, so cheesy and bubbly and stupid I can't help but love it.

RobbieNick

Now that we have the unlockable song list, can anyone give us the exact list of songs that were Cash-Cash remixes. I was surprised at what a great job they did on some of these tunes.

RobbieNick said:
Now that we have the unlockable song list, can anyone give us the exact list of songs that were Cash-Cash remixes. I was surprised at what a great job they did on some of these tunes.

I think one if not both of the City Escape remixes were done by them...at the very least the Classic version

Top Bottom