• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Anth0ny

Regulus Tera said:
Chao telling you how to avoid the boss attacks? NOT. COOL.

Developers seriously need to stop doing that shit. FUCK.

You didn't turn off Omochao when they gave you the option at the beginning of the game?

lololoololllol

JonCha said:
Realise that Green Hill is basically a tutorial! The later stages are not on-rails and are platform-heavy. Boost like a noob and you will be punished.

I think even in Green Hill, if you're just boosting like crazy on your first try, you'll be punished. Maybe you won't die or whatever, but you'll crash into a bunch of shit/ miss transfer points.

Like you're saying, people shouldn't expect the most challenging game-play to be in the first stage. That'd be a pretty terrible difficulty curve.

Teknoman

Regulus Tera said:
Chao telling you how to avoid the boss attacks? NOT. COOL.

Developers seriously need to stop doing that shit. FUCK.

Turn off Omochao in the options menu. You can also turn off button prompts, but I wouldnt recommend that since they're actually useful at times.

EDIT: Beaten several times with sonic speed.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Teknoman said:
Turn off Omochao in the options menu. You can also turn off button prompts, but I wouldnt recommend that since they're actually useful at times.

EDIT: Beaten several times with sonic speed.

The fact that players have the option to turn off the tutorial characters makes me happier than I'd like to admit. A little thing that I think makes a big difference. : )

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
RobbieNick said:
Turn him off then. He's just there for the kiddies.
They are still conditioning the kiddies to be pussies.
Anth0ny said:
You didn't turn off Omochao when they gave you the option at the beginning of the game?

lololoololllol
lol yeah I was looking somewhere else and mashing a.

RagnarokX

Teknoman said:
Electric and fire are in too? Also some of these Red Rings are hard to find.
Yeah. They don't look as nice as the aqua shield and the flame shield doesn't burst flames in the direction you boost You can also unlock the insta-shield, which is totally useless in this game since none of the enemies are hard to hit.

Turning off omochao was the first thing I did when I turned on the game.

0 HP said:
i don't see how what i said is illogical. just because you like it, doesn't mean 80% of the gaming community will. plus sonic fans in particular are heavily biased towards their franchise. i really can't see how anybody who isn't a fan of sonic is going to get through, much less enjoy, sa2 (forces treasure hunting for every sonic stage) and unleashed (forces werehog). recommending those games seems like a dick move.

if you used these loose standards with any other series, you be recommending every single game in the franchise.

At least the "Werehog" sections of Unleashed are fun beat 'em up platformer sections, as opposed to the dreadful lock-on/treasure hunting that Adventure 2 has going for it.

Edit: When I'm recommending Unleashed I'm referring to the 360/PS3 build. The Wii/PS2 game was worse than Sonic 2006 and simply shouldn't have existed.

Sciz

RubyEclipse said:
The fact that players have the option to turn off the tutorial characters makes me happier than I'd like to admit. A little thing that I think makes a big difference. : )
Turned Tails off at the beginning of Colors and never looked back, and I'll be doing the same here.

In as much as there is a good way to play Heroes, Super Hard Mode was the best way to play it simply because it took the endless tutorial nonsense out. Seriously, I don't need to be told how to use poles in Final Fortress. :mad:

Mupod

Is it weird that I actually really liked the Knuckles and Robotnik sections in SA2? I had a lot of fun with them, not as much as the Sonic/Shadow stages but they were good.

Tails and Rouge's stages on the other hand ranged from meh to crap. Especially Mad Space, ugh.

Also 'don't hit the rails' A-rank kart racing was just...something I don't want to remember.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
All I can say is that I am completely in love with a Sonic game and enjoying it so much, that never happened since Sonic CD..I feel like a kid again.

Welcome back Sonic Team, glad that you got your soul back.

now you can give us Ristar, I trust you.

*tears of joy*

RobbieNick

Regulus Tera said:
The Werehog segments were fun, the problem was that they dragged on for too long.

This exactly. I was having fun with Werehog at first, but it went from "fun" to "Tedious" after being on the same level for half a damn hour.

Teknoman

Damn this Super Sonic Racing remix.

ibkLxFmf6tZUzt.gif

Mupod said:
Is it weird that I actually really liked the Knuckles and Robotnik sections in SA2? I had a lot of fun with them, not as much as the Sonic/Shadow stages but they were good.

Tails and Rouge's stages on the other hand ranged from meh to crap. Especially Mad Space, ugh.

Also 'don't hit the rails' A-rank kart racing was just...something I don't want to remember.
I've grown to like Knuckle's and Rouge's stages (bar Mad Space) over the years, Tails and Eggman ones are just about average but I can't say I enjoy any of them except Cosmic Wall.

And why did you remind me about "don't hit the rails"?!

SykoTech

Regulus Tera said:
The Werehog segments were fun, the problem was that they dragged on for too long.

Not sure if I'd say Werehog was fun, but it was definitely that mech shooting and treasure hunting BS from the Adventure games. And any other filler Sonic Team's pulled over the years for that matter.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I definitely turned off Tails in Colours, and turned Omochao off in Generations as soon as I started. I don't really need them, and I'm glad they're optional (besides, listening to Omochao go on and on might remind me a lot of Rise Kujikawa in Persona 4 and then I'd expect her to call me "senpai" a lot).

Urgh, I have two more (seemingly somewhat lengthy) assignments to grade and then I can play this on my lunch break. :D

RobbieNick said:
This exactly. I was having fun with Werehog at first, but it went from "fun" to "Tedious" after being on the same level for half a damn hour.

They got a bit less tedious as your leveled up your strength/abilities/etc, but yeah it's definitely pretty rough at first.

Lijik said:
Not even the craziest thing in his post:

I didn't like the Wii/PS2 version either but come on this is ridiculous.

While Sonic 2006 is a buggy mess, at least there seems to be an attempt at level design in there, no matter how half or even quarter-ass it may be.

The Daytime sections of Unleashed are just long, empty corridors. So, so boring.

Sonic 2006 feels unfinished in the debug process. Unleashed feels like it's unfinished in the design process.

Regulus Tera said:
Does anyone know when pokecapn is gonna do his LP of this game? That is the best part of Modern Sonic.
At first he said he might do something under three months (SA's limit on how soon after a game comes out that you can LP it) but later he said "wait 3 months" to learn how he feels.

qq more

AbsoluteZero said:
At least the "Werehog" sections of Unleashed are fun beat 'em up platformer sections, as opposed to the dreadful lock-on/treasure hunting that Adventure 2 has going for it.

Edit: When I'm recommending Unleashed I'm referring to the 360/PS3 build. The Wii/PS2 game was worse than Sonic 2006 and simply shouldn't have existed.
Okay, come on. You're just exaggerating.

Unleashed Wii/PS2 isn't that bad. It's playable, not glitchy, doesn't have awful load times, etc.

AbsoluteZero said:
While Sonic 2006 is a buggy mess, at least there seems to be an attempt at level design in there, no matter how half or even quarter-ass it may be.

The Daytime sections of Unleashed are just long, empty corridors. So, so boring.

Sonic 2006 feels unfinished in the debug process. Unleashed feels like it's unfinished in the design process.
Sonic 06's levels were also needlessly god damn long meanwhile the daytime stages in Unleashed had a good length.

Unleashed Wii/PS2 not that bad of a game. It's lame but it's not soul-crushing horrible.

Seriously.

RobbieNick

Teknoman said:
Damn this Super Sonic Racing remix.

ibkLxFmf6tZUzt.gif

No wait, THAT's the song I want!! The bonus stage music from Sonic Jam Saturn! Is it in the game?! Also, where?!! I love that song.

Also, there's a serious lack of Sonic Rush music. Me am dissapoint.

qq more

JonCha said:
SEGA American put limits on them let's playing something? Why? They're not affiliated with/employed by them.
SA as in Something Awful.

@RobbieNick:
That song isn't in the game, but there's 2 3D blast songs. One is from Saturn and the other is from Genesis. Oh and there is the first stage song from Sonic Rush in the game.

NTom64

JonCha said:
SEGA American put limits on them let's playing something? Why? They're not affiliated with/employed by them.

I believe that's to do with Something Awful's LP'ing policy than anything else. Otherwise there wouldn't be so many Generations playthroughs on Youtube already.

EDIT:
Beaten, and at the speed of sound no less!

qq more

If you guys want I can compile a list of songs from the game since I have the ost. I'll put the entire list in spoilers. :)

0 HP

AbsoluteZero said:
They got a bit less tedious as your leveled up your strength/abilities/etc, but yeah it's definitely pretty rough at first.

Unleashed feels like it's unfinished in the design process.
haha, this proves my point exactly. why would you recommend this game to anyone?

qq more

0 HP said:
haha, this proves my point exactly. why would you recommend this game to anyone?
He was talking about the Wii/PS2 version of the Daytime stages which are actually different from the 360/PS3 counterparts.

RobbieNick

qq more said:
SA as in Something Awful.

@RobbieNick:
That song isn't in the game, but there's 2 3D blast songs. One is from Saturn and the other is from Genesis. Oh and there is the first stage song from Sonic Rush in the game.

Which challenge is it for
The Sonic Rush song

BTW, I love using
Neo Green Hill
with Modern Seaside Hill. fits in well.

Anth0ny

-60 fps
-fixed jumping/rolling/physics in general
-fixed spindash
-use more than 5 skills
-enable skills in missions/boss battles
-fix super sonic

PC version, my body is ready.

qq more

RobbieNick said:
Which challenge is it for
The Sonic Rush song

BTW, I love using
Neo Green Hill
with Modern Seaside Hill. fits in well.
No idea, don't have the game yet but it should arrive tommorow. But I know the song is there.

TheOGB

Banned
qq more said:
He was talking about the Wii/PS2 version of the Daytime stages which are actually different from the 360/PS3 counterparts.
And in turn, I think 0 HP was referring to the first line of that post more than aything.

qq more

TheOGB said:
And in turn, I think 0 HP was referring to the first line of that post more than aything.
Oh, my mistake.

Although, I am siding with 0 HP on this anyways. Unleashed isn't a great game at all. Werehog totally ruined it for me. :(

0 HP said:

The Wii/PS2 version of Unleashed vs the 360/PS3 version of Unleashed is like comparing Super Mario Land to Super Mario Galaxy.

TheOGB said:

A lot of games start out difficult but as you gain strength and abilities the game becomes easier to play. It's a fairly common design choice.

TheOGB

Banned
AbsoluteZero said:
A lot of games start out difficult but as you gain strength and abilities the game becomes easier to play. It's a fairly common design choice.
Well starting off difficult without skills is preferrable to "rough and tedious at first", which I consider to be two different things.

You can start a game relatively powerless and not have getting stronger/better feel like a chore.

EDIT: WHAT THE FUCK, are people playing this already?!

Teknoman

qq more said:
If you guys want I can compile a list of songs from the game since I have the ost. I'll put the entire list in spoilers. :)

Go for it.

Are those classic sonic enemy attack poses still in? There was a gif of it from the first demo.

RobbieNick

qq more said:

That would be great and I'd put it in the OP under spoilers.

Top Bottom