• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

Sonic was my first real venture into (console) gaming.... Sonic Adventure, that is.

Loved SA1 and SA2, but never really "got" the 2D Sonics.

Reading the thread on front page makes me interested, but Im not sure if its totally for me. I'd buy a good 3D Sonic game though, something like Generations or Colors or Utopia.

Are there actually any Sonic gamers like me who aren't huge Sonic fans, but enjoyed the 3D games?
From my experience IRL, yes, a fair amount. Particularly the 22-28 year old crowd. You won't find many on GAF, however.

I think to access it,
you need to turn Debug Mode on, back out, then hold Square & X while highlighting & selecting No Save

Edit: I held Options as well, but I can confirm this worked.

.....I also confirmed that debug mode seems to disable achievements/trophies.

Will try it out. Thanks

Segaswirl

Adore this game, got the 1000G's on Xbox... I would be sad that it's over but I know i'll still be playing this for years to come, the same way I do with all the others.

With the exception of Sonic 4

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I cannot believe the amount of people who are thinking that Sonic Mania is better than Zelda. Dudes. Step back for a second. Sonic Mania is great, but better than BOTW? No. BOTW deserves to be in the discussion for one of the best games of all time. Sonic Mania, while great, is a Sonic game. We've played something like this multiple times before.

Eh. Does Zelda really need any more uplifting? Do you really think the Sonic Mania is so dangerous a threat, that any subjective appreciation will somehow wipe away the memories that many held for BotW? Step back for a second yourself and relax.

Adore this game, got the 1000G's on Xbox... I would be sad that it's over but I know i'll still be playing this for years to come, the same way I do with all the others.

With the exception of Sonic 4

This is Sonic 4. There is no such game as Sonic 4 that isn't also known as Sonic Mania.

I have half a mind to believe Mania 2 will be called Sonic 5 just to cement this.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
About half way through the game and an Act 2 boss is the first part of the game that made me walk away in frustration.

Kind of a shame - but I'm legit pissed. Sometimes the pinching mechanic is just plain anti-fun. The whole boss is fine, but when it moves it pinches me and I die. I've had three Game Overs and I'm tired of playing through the very easy Act 1 and then the somewhat of a chore Act 2.

Chemical Plant Zone

About half way through the game and an Act 2 boss is the first part of the game that made me walk away in frustration.

Kind of a shame - but I'm legit pissed. Sometimes the pinching mechanic is just plain anti-fun. The whole boss is fine, but when it moves it pinches me and I die. I've had three Game Overs and I'm tired of playing through the very easy Act 1 and then the somewhat of a chore Act 2.

Chemical Plant Zone

Uh, try again, you named the second zone rather than the one you're actually talking about..?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Uh, try again, you named the second zone rather than the one you're actually talking about..?

Sorry, you're right. I meant
oil ocean

Yeah, fuck this boss. Just tried it again. Got all three parts of the boss and got pinched DURING his explosion. I about threw my Switch at the wall.

Lol, I need a breather.

oil ocean

Yeah, fuck this boss. Just tried it again. Got all three parts of the boss and got pinched DURING his explosion. I about threw my Switch at the wall.

Lol, I need a breather.

If it helps (or doesn't), the fight is absolutely trivial if you take a fire shield in. Destroyed the boss in about 12 seconds.

Absolutely do not stand on a platform that is crumbling. It's safer to just jump into the oil.

goldenpp72

oil ocean

Lol, I need a breather.

Are you talking about the act 2 boss? It's really not that hard when you get the pattern down, break the arms and he's basically harmless.

https://twitter.com/ambler3/status/898658870280806401

s-f009692b9f8a85e44d08a7269fa0caf9faf088ba.gif

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Ugh, 2 more blue spheres. The one where you gotta collect them around a giant square & the one that's a square spiral are all that's left. I cannot for the life of me figure out the square one, gotta look it up.

....meanwhile, wow, I was doing the spiral one all wrong, had no idea.....was making it harder on myself...

Fastrun

Neo Member
Currently in
Hydrocity Zone
Having never played a Classic Sonic to finish, I'm enjoying this a lot. I'm terrible at special stages though.

Skel1ingt0n

If it helps (or doesn't), the fight is absolutely trivial if you take a fire shield in. Destroyed the boss in about 12 seconds.

Absolutely do not stand on a platform that is crumbling. It's safer to just jump into the oil.

Wait... you can hold a fire shield for later? Or do you just mean find one in the Act and don't lose it on your way to the boss?

Yukinari

Ugh, 2 more blue spheres. The one where you gotta collect them around a giant square & the one that's a square spiral are all that's left. I cannot for the life of me figure out the square one, gotta look it up.

....meanwhile, wow, I was doing the spiral one all wrong, had no idea.....was making it harder on myself...

Yeah those two are the worst ones by far.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
YEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS, ALL BLUE SPHERES CLEARED. I now just need to deal with 10 silvers.

HIGHLY recommend these videos that show you how to get perfects on all of them. Part 1 & Part 2.

Edit: So can I just select "Original" to replay the 10 silvers I need to upgrade to gold via the Extra menu, or do I gotta deal with the checkpoints?

goldenpp72

YEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS, ALL BLUE SPHERES CLEARED. I now just need to deal with 10 silvers.

HIGHLY recommend these videos that show you how to get perfects on all of them. Part 1 & Part 2.

Edit: So can I just select "Original" to replay the 10 silvers I need to upgrade to gold via the Extra menu, or do I gotta deal with the checkpoints?

I believe some people use Debug to cheat their way somehow, but I don't think the menu options work, as I tried.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I believe some people use Debug to cheat their way somehow, but I don't think the menu options work, as I tried.
Hmm, I'll have to give that a try. I tried doing a stage-specific trophy & I think Debug prevented me from getting it. I guess since debug doesn't affect Blue Sphere itself, it's okay.

First clear, Sonic+Tails. Prettttty good. Now, to beat special stage 5... smh

That's supposed to be a feature, not a bug. If you're actually stuck, mind sharing a screen/video?
Too late now, but I can probably screenshot something the next time I play the level. It won't be anything special looking, though. Those textured grey things are supposed to be pass through, but somehow I seem to have tricked it into thinking it was solid. (possibly by flying with Sonic+Tails?)

Finalizer

Finished the game, finally.
Does Knuckles not fight the true final boss?

-Lava Reef was fun as fuuuuuq
-Metallic Madness was also great. I think I might enjoy it more than Stardust Speedway tbh
-The last two emeralds were definitely easier than the fifth, though I took two tries for both. I actually think the 6th is easier than the 7th, feels like a ton of opportunity to fall of the stage in that one (which is precisely what happened on my first attempt lolol)
-I think the most lives I lost were due to me killing myself to quickly get out of Super Knuckles. I hope they patch in a function where it takes two separate button presses to unlock super, it was such a good addition to S3C and such romhacks
-Final boss was enjoyable, though I wish there was somehow more build-up to it. Like, S2 has you flying to and arriving on a freakin' orbital base to blow up the final giant robot, and S3K has the whole storyline thing leading into the last fight with several different stages, so this felt like a regression to S1/S3 standalone. Granted, a much more intense battle than those bosses. I like the fight in and of itself at least.

Boy. I can't say I'm a fan of these UFO special stages. They're kind of the worst.

They were clunky and frustrating in 1993 when Sonic CD did it, and they're even moreso now. It's a real shame, cause the whole rest of the game is stellar.

Boy. I can't say I'm a fan of these UFO special stages. They're kind of the worst.

They were clunky and frustrating in 1993 when Sonic CD did it, and they're even moreso now. It's a real shame, cause the whole rest of the game is stellar.

I actually think they're the best special stages in the entire series. I love them.

After a long hang up,
ugh Lava Reef,
I finally reached the last zone!

Oil Ocean wasn't as bad as I'd heard; the toxic fumes were a complete nonissue. Shame that the miniboss was kind of pathetic. I will say that the boss was shockingly difficult.

Ugh. I've never liked Lava Reef, and my feelings have not changed on the subject. The miniboss was sort of tedious. I will, however, concede that Heavy Rider was a fun fight. I especially loved the confetti and cheers when she successfully jumped the flamethrowers!

Metallic Madness is a zone I've always had a strange affinity for; the Mania version is even better! The miniboss was incredibly stressful, especially its second form. The Egg Gachapon was adorable! Those tiny lil Eggmobile Toys!

I've not yet defeated the final boss, but I love the atmosphere in Titanic Monarch. The miniboss gave me some trouble, but my main fear was timing out.

I'm terrible at the Dimensional Heist stages, so I only have 4 Emeralds...

Kyari

Weird question I'm sure but how do you break the crates in Press Garden Zone? There're a bunch I see with monitors inside them but I can't figure out how to break them. There's one right at the start of Act 1 even.

Once you know the little tricks they become quite enjoyable, emerald 5th is the hardest but once you get the power up it's a breeze.

Mania's special stages are a blast, standing head and shoulders above the others imo. Chasing an object down is thrilling in itself (especially when you're close and the timer is getting low), and there are a ton of things to consider: jumping to tighten Sonic's turn radius, going for blue orbs vs. rings, taking shortcuts, cutting corners through the grass/dirt, etc. They're the only Sonic special stages I actually look forward to playing.

Yukinari

I dont quite get the Sonic CD comparisons aside from the UFOs themselves.

The stages play like Sonic Heroes and Sonic R since you literally collect spheres to chase an emerald. Except with no funnel design like heroes.

Skel1ingt0n

Brains are weird. After failing at
Oil Ocean
for four or five Game Overs like I mentioned earlier, I took a break, played three games of Overwatch, came back, and beat it on my first try.

goldenpp72

I dont quite get the Sonic CD comparisons aside from the UFOs themselves.

The stages play like Sonic Heroes and Sonic R since you literally collect spheres to chase an emerald. Except with no funnel design like heroes.

The controls themselves feel similar to Sonic CD to me, been awhile though.

Mania's special stages are a blast, standing head and shoulders above the others imo. Chasing an object down is thrilling in itself (especially when you're close and the timer is getting low), and there are a ton of things to consider: jumping to tighten Sonic's turn radius, going for blue orbs vs. rings, taking shortcuts, cutting corners through the grass/dirt, etc. They're the only Sonic special stages I actually look forward to playing.

Couldn't agree more. I've never been a big fan of the special stages in previous entries, but Mania's are a joy and a thrill to play.

KingBroly

Banned
To my mere mortal eyes that looks to be a nigh perfect run, and it's still only second. I give up on time trials, gotta go slow.

The sad thing is I know exactly where he screwed up.

Coming out of the last tube, if you don't turn around right after you get out of it, you don't reach top speed fast enough. The swinging bridge wasn't swinging to the right, but the left. It'd be sub 30 otherwise

Top Bottom